Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine had been freezing just recently with Lego Star Wars and Uno, but this morning after picking up Crackdown it won't even turn on. It goes straight to red ring of death. It was a launch unit and luckily I got the 3 year replacement plan. Unfortunately I got it at TRU and they won't exchange for a new one. I have to mail to them (they send me a coffin) and they'll repair or reimburse me.

edit: 3/23 received my repaired 360, it lasted three days and crapped out again. Called up TRU and they are sending another coffin. Also, they said they won't reimburse until I send the unit back FOUR TIMES!!

Bought mine in the Overstock deal last July. Broke last night when I was playing Dead Rising and saw the 3 red flashing lights. I guess I have to call Microsoft now.....

Bought the unit in October of 06--had my fair share of e74s but played through them. Now i'm getting a internal "beep" then freeze. I've gotten it 5 times in the last 30 minutes playing crackdown. I have to totally reboot the xbox to get it to respond.

Anyone else experience this? I'll probably be requesting a coffin any day now.

EDIT--well the beep and freeze has turned into the 3 flashing red lights upon bootup. Out fucking Standing. Looks like i'm calling tomorrow.

I got mine in September 06 with Dead Rising. I would get a dirty disc error all the time with it. Eventually I gave up and I now own 8 other games, I have experienced 1 or 2 errors with some of these games but nothing as bad as DR. I also had oblivion freeze once.

Everyday I still worry for the condition of my 360. I'm thinking I should send it back before perhaps the H3 beta rolls around. Or I could sell it and bank on one of those new 360s coming out soon.

My launch unit crapped out today; is there anything I can say to the customer service people to get them to fix it for free? (Manufactured 10/31/05, had it since launch) I don't want to pay $160+ to have it fixed.

What about gamestop, do they still take broken consoles on trade? How much to they trade in for?

edit:

After letting it sit for a couple of hours it will now boot back up to the dashboard... I think I'm going to try trading it in... does eb still give $190 for a 360 w/ wireless controller (without hd). I'm also willing to try to get microsoft to fix it for free... any suggestions?

[quote name='cyberlian']My launch unit crapped out today; is there anything I can say to the customer service people to get them to fix it for free? (Manufactured 10/31/05, had it since launch) I don't want to pay $160+ to have it fixed.

What about gamestop, do they still take broken consoles on trade? How much to they trade in for?

edit:

After letting it sit for a couple of hours it will now boot back up to the dashboard... I think I'm going to try trading it in... does eb still give $190 for a 360 w/ wireless controller (without hd). I'm also willing to try to get microsoft to fix it for free... any suggestions?[/quote]

I actually just got off the phone with support over the same issue. It is a 12/05 build on mine. The guy wouldn't budge at all and told me I'd have to send it in and have it fixed for $140.

Quick question.... when a 360 red rings, is it still supposed to put out a video signal? Mine isn't, so that's why I ask.

Okay, at this point I'm really considering sedning it out, I don't want it to crap out ater this year. Should I take my chances and get an new old one?

I wouldn't mind being able to revisit Dead Rising.

[quote name='sp00ge']Quick question.... when a 360 red rings, is it still supposed to put out a video signal? Mine isn't, so that's why I ask.[/QUOTE]

I think if all 4 red rings are lit up, then you have an a/v problem... try unplugging your av cable and plugging it back in.

This is the best resource I have found for diagnosing your red ring problem
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

My 360 made a grinding noise while I was playing COD2. I ejected the disc and noticed some circular scratches on my disc. I was not touching or moving the console while this happened. Is this the first sign of a system going bad or is this a freak occurance?

Alright, so I got the 3 red lights, called up MS support, and the guy said I had to ship the 360 in myself. I went to the Xbox website to see my device tracking thing, and it says that they are waiting for the item to be shipped to the Repair Center. Hour later... I refresh and it says that they are now shipping a box to the customer... should I wait for the box or ship the 360 myself?

I took it upon myself and did the heat gun fix that's been floating around and wouldn't you believe it... it friggin' worked! The $50 360 is alive once again. :D

[quote name='sp00ge']I took it upon myself and did the heat gun fix that's been floating around and wouldn't you believe it... it friggin' worked! The $50 360 is alive once again. :D[/QUOTE]

Was it hard to do? Where did you buy your gun? What heat settings did you use? I went out an bought a new 360 rather than give ms 150 to send me another broke 360, but I'm interested in fixing my rather large paperweight.

I believe I'm not far from joining youse guys though thankfully I purchased extended warranty from BB when I got mine last February. Figures it'd start to crap out on the 13th month so I'm glad I went with a 3 year deal. Here's what's happening with mine and maybe someone can help me diagnose the problem and fix it. Mine has been experiencing more and more freezing for the last couple of months but my worst problem started around Saturday with R6 freezing. I shut it down and attempted 4 reboots. Each time it would get no further than the Xbox360 logo and so I'd restart again though I maybe should have waited a little longer to see if it would finish booting up. It seemed to be taking too long to get to the dash so that's why I'd shut it down at the logo screen. I unplugged the power cord from my 360 and waited a couple of seconds and plugged reinserted it. It booted fine and I had no further problems until tonight. Once again during R6, the game froze and I restarted and then all hell broke loose. It froze 3 times without getting back to the R6 menu, once because of the sidebar. Finally rejoined the game and I was the only one experiencing terrible lag and apparently my voice wasnt working correctly b/c they said I was all garbled and intermittent. Whenever I could get to my friends profiles their gamer score, pic, etc would never show. Finally I got the Disconnected from Xbox Live notice and shut it down. Unplugged the system, waited a couple of minutes, plugged back in and my problems were gone. I've also noticed an increase in the noise the DVD drive makes during some gameplay (mainly NBA 2k7-- a gamefly game-- more on this below). I was also told the other night that my iPod use was causing my mic to mess up which now seems like maybe a symptom. I'm really wondering if I should continue with my system or use my warranty.

Could it be the fact that I've got it plugged into a surge protector (though it seems stupid to plug any electronics directly into the wall and it's been on surge protector from the beginning so why now)? Could it be the fact that I use Gamefly (I've heard rumors of people who rent games having more system problems)? I've also got the HD-DVD add-on and the wireless adapter and headset so I'm not sure if those could be a factor as the HD-DVD and headset are new additions from the very nice Xmas sales.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Well, my box is coming Monday. Thrilling.

Then I'm going to buy a warranty, once the initial 90 days is up. It'll be the first I ever buy for a video game console.

My box is going out in the mail today. It took a fucking week to get here - how long will it approximately take once they receive my console? Any ideas.

Solidarity.

Ok guys this is now the third problem I have had with my 360. I was playing Splinter Cell DA last night and every time I would complete a mission when the next mission tries to load I would get a Dirty Disc Error.

I completed both training missions and the first mission but after each mission I had to reload the game. I also have this same problem with NHL 2K7 most of the time when it occurs it is at the start of a new period or during a replay of a goal. I have even returned the first copy I bought of NHL 2K7 and the now replacement is doing the same thing.

Now I just played through Lost Planet without a problem and no errors. I also played Rainbow Six Vegas and Smackdown with no problems recently.

So my question is do you think this is a disc problem or do you think my disc drive is going bad.

Anyone with the same problem please give some input. I am taking back both copies of NHL and SCDA today for an exchange for a new copy to see if that helps. Thanks.

I sent mine off a week and two days ago, shipped priority. If it doesnt come tommorow this weekend is gonna blow, I finished all my PS3 games last weekend. I wished I would have signed up for the thing that tells you the progress of it, but now I cant because they need the serial number. They should use the issue number not the damn serial number DAMNIT I WANT MY 360. :wall::censored:

Got a question, and I can't think of a better qualified group of gentlemen to answer it for me. Any help here would be most appreciated.

Selling my 360. It's still got a good long time under the MS warranty. The buyer is (quite reasonably) concerned with possible warranty protection. The warranty specifically states that it extends to the original purchaser only. I've read that this verification is done through address confirmation, though I'm not 100% on that. Confirmation would be helpful.

My question is ... hypothetical. Say ... for the sake of argument... that I was to sell the unit, and the unit up and died on the buyer. How would the buyer and I go about getting it replaced? Would the new owner be reasonably able to impersonate the original buyer, or would I... err... the original buyer need to be involved again? What exactly does MS want from the support call to assure that the original buyer is who they're talking to? If they want an address, what information are they checking it against? A profile?

Do they even give a shit?

Thanks in advance all. Any help, again, would be much appreciated.

[quote name='speedracer']

My question is ... hypothetical. Say ... for the sake of argument... that I was to sell the unit, and the unit up and died on the buyer. How would the buyer and I go about getting it replaced? Would the new owner be reasonably able to impersonate the original buyer, or would I... err... the original buyer need to be involved again? What exactly does MS want from the support call to assure that the original buyer is who they're talking to? If they want an address, what information are they checking it against? A profile?

Do they even give a shit?

Thanks in advance all. Any help, again, would be much appreciated.[/quote]
They will probably ask the name and address since it is probably in their records, to confirm it (since you had to mail all your info in w/ the warranty). So if it toasts Im 70% sure your fucked.

Dropped my 360 off today at the UPS Store, my 360 has trouble reading discs, got annoying since it takes many retries inserting the disc to get it to play. I guess the good thing about sending it in is it's one less distraction since I have midterms this week.

got my 360 back today...but Im confused. They sent my original 360 back. They told me that they were going to send out a new/different one. It seems to be working fine (no red lights or freezing games). Should I be concerned or believe that the problem was really fixed?

BTW it is a 4-2006 model.

I got the red ring of death and had to pay to ship my 360 to MS. They said the repaired it and I got it yesterday. To my surprise, they didn't fix it at all. I got the red ring of death as soon as I started it up. Well, it actually didn't start up at all. Now they are going to send me a shipping box so I can send it back to them again. I'm so pissed about this. I want to write an actual letter and mail it to their custumer relations department, but I can't find a mailing address.:bomb:

My problem isn't completely world destroying yet, but I was still wondering if there were any homebrew solutions or remedies I could look into.

Basically my drive tends to make this clicking noise quite often. It's usually the precursor to either a stutter and delay in loading, or a complete "Disc Unreadable" failure. This happens with both brand new straight out of the box games, as well as older used ones.

Playing through a used game that has some scratches on it I'll experience probably 5-15 clicking noises followed by "Disc Unreadable" lock ups. The problem is on brand new pristine condition games I'll still experience 2-5 lockups, even when the game is brand new and has never left the drive.

Anything I can do other than grin and bear it, and wait for my console's untimely death?

Man, I really don't like UPS in this town. Sent my 360 out last Monday, got a new one in town today, but of course, they have to try and deliver when my roommate and I both aren't home. And I came home between classes just in case. But no, 30 minutes after I leave for work, they try and fail.

Which is why I wish UPS would let you set up a pickup BEFORE the first failed delivery attempt.

One more night before my Gears addiction resurfaces... and right before spring break, for that matter!

My 360 Died this week DVD drive won't stay closed. It will close and then automatically open right after. Manufactured 9/19/2006. I've had it for two months. Had been playing GoW and got Viva Pinata from Gamefly. As soon as I was done playing (hated it) I removed disc and closed drive to hear grinding noises and then the never close again events happened. Figured my 360 thought I was a pussy for playing Viva Pinata. Any ways my coffin is supposed to come Friday. This is straight annoying seeing all the people with 360 problems on this and the xbox forums, glad the warranty is a year now though.

***EDIT*** Got my 360 back today 3/19/2007. They just sent me a different one but turnaound was less than two weeks. 10 days to be exact. Good job MS for not making me wait forever. Still mad it broke in the first place though.

Good news: I got my 360 back, they repaired it, and I have yet to suffer any freezing issues after two hour-long sessions of Gears last night. So it seems they repaired it properly...

Bad new: UPS decided to scan the wrong package for my will call yesterday morning (half an hour round trip and some gas wasted, and I even woke up early for this drive...), and of course, I wasn't home when they tried to deliver my package that afternoon, so I got to make a second trip out that night to pick it up.

Just traced my return package and my 3rd 360 is set to be delivered this wednesday..
I got smart this time and decided to pay the to shipping myself even though i'm under warranty. It only cost $13 insured UPS and saved me about a week. Here's the break down:
-Sat 3/3 Called and arranged to send my 360 back
-Mon 3/5 I shipped my box normal ground, they goofed and shipped a empty box 3 day select
-Thur 3/8 They received my system
-Fri 3/9 They shipped out a refurbished 360 AND I received the empty coffin :D
- Wed 3/14 My system is scheduled to be delivered. :D

Would have been around next wednesday or thursday if i'd used their prepaid box.

Also if anyone wants to look up their to and from package status without calling to get a tracking number you can go tohttp://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/reference for shipment reference put in the reference # the phone rep gave you when you called the first time. Put in your zip code and USA all the other stuff can be left default.

I'm sure all this has been posted before but ya know most people just visit this thread when there system is dead and might have missed it.

Is MS refunding the shipping for broken systems? My nephew had to pay to ship his, but then MS sent a pre-paid box to him the following day. He called them up and complained about having to pay for shipping when he could have used the box they sent, but they wouldn't refund his costs and told him that they sent the pre-paid box out "by mistake".

They ended up giving him 2 free Live Arcade titles, which is nowhere near appropriate compensation.

[quote name='shieryda']Is MS refunding the shipping for broken systems? My nephew had to pay to ship his, but then MS sent a pre-paid box to him the following day. He called them up and complained about having to pay for shipping when he could have used the box they sent, but they wouldn't refund his costs and told him that they sent the pre-paid box out "by mistake".

They ended up giving him 2 free Live Arcade titles, which is nowhere near appropriate compensation.[/quote]

I had to pay shipping for mine and they sent it back to me just as broken! I have to write a good letter of complaint.

a friend of mine called me today telling me his Xbox 360 was broken.

he kept telling me that he was getting one flashing red light in the bottom right corner. he also mentioned that he kept getting a "E74" error message.

I looked up it up and the code is for a faulty A/V cable. Does anyone know if replacing the component cables with a new set would fix the problem completely?

his warranty through Microsoft ended a while ago and they want $120. the extended warranty he bought through TRU will fix it for free, but they want him to send in his hard drive (outside company)

^ maybe you can lend him your av cables and check that way?

Got my system back today it's a refurb and my third since launch.:pray: Process took 13 days but if I hadn't sent it in myself they'd just now be receiving my system today for repair. Glad to have it for this long weekend since i'm scheduled off 4 the tourney. Downloading stuff now good times and good luck to everyone else waiting. :D

BTW you know it's a bad sign when your UPS man knows exactly what is inside the unmarked box and he's not even a gamer...

[quote name='asianxcore']a friend of mine called me today telling me his Xbox 360 was broken.

he kept telling me that he was getting one flashing red light in the bottom right corner. he also mentioned that he kept getting a "E74" error message.

I looked up it up and the code is for a faulty A/V cable. Does anyone know if replacing the component cables with a new set would fix the problem completely?

his warranty through Microsoft ended a while ago and they want $120. the extended warranty he bought through TRU will fix it for free, but they want him to send in his hard drive (outside company)[/QUOTE]

Thats the exact problem I had.

The E74 doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with the cords, but just the A/V output in general.

I've been told that changing the cords is a potential fix, but it did not work for me. My cords worked on another console, so it was obviously the system.

E74 wasn't an error message Microsoft could formally acknowledge (the CSR just labelled my error was the three rings).

I got my first disc is dirty message on a pristine copy of Gears...is this a sign of problems to come? It seemed to work ok once I took it out and started it again...it was weird though as it was mid-game. I'm not 100% upset...I got a free replacement plan from Gamestop when I bought it.

Just got my second coffin yesterday.

Brand new 360 purchased in November 06.
Froze and gave me the RLOD January 27.
Repaired console returned February 14.
My disc drive rattled loudly and broke while playing March 13.
My second coffin arrived yesterday.

Wonderful first 4 months of owning a 360. It's trying my patience.

OK, first problem for me with my 360. Hoping someone here could help me out on what I should do. I got my 360 at launch, and didn't have any problems with it until about a month ago. The system now freezes up within about 15 minutes of play (but only when I am playing a game with a disc, I can play arcade games fine). This last week I tried moving my power brick to a more open area and the system now takes about 45 minutes until it freezes (I haven't done anything else differently). One of the weird things is that it only seems to freeze once during each gaming session. I usually only play once a day, and it will freeze once and then run fine after that. Does anyone have any idea if there's anything I can do to fix this on my own, or is it time to get it sent in? Any help would be most appreciated.

[quote name='bobbyblane']OK, first problem for me with my 360. Hoping someone here could help me out on what I should do. I got my 360 at launch, and didn't have any problems with it until about a month ago. The system now freezes up within about 15 minutes of play (but only when I am playing a game with a disc, I can play arcade games fine). This last week I tried moving my power brick to a more open area and the system now takes about 45 minutes until it freezes (I haven't done anything else differently). One of the weird things is that it only seems to freeze once during each gaming session. I usually only play once a day, and it will freeze once and then run fine after that. Does anyone have any idea if there's anything I can do to fix this on my own, or is it time to get it sent in? Any help would be most appreciated.[/quote]
It'll eventually start getting 3 red lights that's how my first system started acting before it died. You can send it in or try the towel trick like many on the net claim works. At least it doesn't hurt your warranty and can't really make your situation any worse than it is now.

Also I didn't know untill I called just now but your controller is also covered under the extended warranty for your console. My wireless controllers L3 button stopped working and they will replace/repair it for free but you have to mail it in to them. I'm not complaining though since a few bucks postage is alot cheaper than buying a new one. Just putting this info out there for anyone else who has a dead controller. :)

Wow, I never thought I'd find myself posting in this thread, but my launch 360 finally went down for the count. In my 15 years of gaming, this is the first console I've had that has ever broken down on me. I got the infamous 3 red lights last night which I think means that there is a hardware failure in my system. I've tried all the troubleshooting methods posted in the FAQ, but none of them work. Fortunately, I still have my BB 2 year PRP that expires on 11/22/07, but the only problem I have is transferring all the data in my old HD to the new one. I was told that I need to buy a Datel Transfer Kit and a memory card in order to salvage my save files and gamertag which are stored on my HD. The other option was the XPORT 360, but I think they essentially do the same thing right? I guess I might as well wait for the upgraded 360 which is supposed to be released soon.

Any help on saving my 360 or clarification would be great. Thanks in advance.

My launch 360 became a brick shortly after playing Dead Rising in September or October of last year. Last night while watching Rocky Balboa the DVD froze up twice and after restarting the third time I got the dreaded ring of death. Now the 360 just gives me the red lights when I turn it on. Bought the protection plans both times so I guess I will have to go get 360 number 3 but this is getting old! Had to finish watching the movie on my PS3 and my wife pointed out that Rocky Baboa is a Sony movie...............!

Anybody else on 360 number 3 or greater?

Still on #1.
Infact it just passed one year last week.
Its starting to freeze and make noises. I have 300 sitting around just incase it craps out.

My power brick issue isn't as bad as the system failing entirely, but I'm going to cash in the warranty and be on system #2 as soon as the Elite 360 hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back