Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Kaijufan']My 360 froze several times today when trying to send people messages on Xbox Live. Is it a problem with the system, or is Xbox Live having Halo 3 related problems? It never froze when I was playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance.[/quote]

mine has been doing this also, I think its just live

Got mine back today with a 1 month live card. Nice..

Thanks to whoever posted those links to the heatsink articles. Really interesting read.

Here's an odd thing.. I bought a clearance carbon faceplate at Kmart a while back. The USB flap broke on it, so I didn't give a shit about it. I sent it in with my broken 360.

Well.. sure enough, not only did I get the 1 month live card and a 360 with white faceplate, but they had thrown my old carbon faceplate in the box with it.

Update on my situation. So my brother returned the 360 while I was at school today. Not only that but he paid the $100 bucks to upgrade to an Elite model. It sucks, though, that they made him turn in the hard drive with our Bioshock and Halo 3 saves too :cry:. Isn't there some device that let's you copy data from one 360 HDD to another? I was telling him that he should've asked them to open one of those up so he could transfer the saves.

I had forgotten that we were still within the 30 day return period. Thanks to shrike and others for pointing that out. We're still keeping the PRP just so we can play now and maybe swap this Elite out for a falcon model once those come out.

Did we set a record with our RROD in only 23 days? I've read stories about 360's bought at Walmart red ringing right out of the box, but that's because Walmart puts returns back on the shelf right?

And how long did you have your 360 before Halo fucked up ;), plastikpyro? Btw we have the regular edition of the game.

[quote name='lvl99ultrathug']Isn't there some device that let's you copy data from one 360 HDD to another? I was telling him that he should've asked them to open one of those up so he could transfer the saves.[/QUOTE]

Too late now, but you could've used a memory card to transfer the important game save data.

Well, I got back a Hitachi drive. No big deal, I'm trading for the Elite in December.

Well, I'm unsubscribing from the thread since I got a working 360 again. If anyone has any questions, PM me.

My 10 month old premium red ringed Sunday night (cruel joke w/H3 coming in 2 days!), and I called MS, who said 4/5 days to receive the coffin (ok, he said box). Monday morning, picked up an H3 Xbox with the intention of returning it when I receive my Xbox back. In a surprising move, a buddy offered to buy the old one off me when it's fixed for $250. In a stunning move of poor negotiating (or good friendship), I told him $150 with one controller.

My original HD is piggybacked on top of the H3 box, so this weekend it's off to pick up a memory card and transfer the data to the new HD.

Side note: My 7 year old son's favorite color is green, so there was probably no way I could've returned it and put the white one back on my shelf. Oh, and I may be crazy, but after 3 hours of H3 last night, it was nowhere near as hot as my original one.

Good news for those with the RROD. I got my RROD 2 weeks ago, took 4 days for the coffin to arrive then I shipped it off to Texas (i live in illinois). A week and a half later I am dying to play Halo 3 and to my surprise I come home from school and there is my xbox. Anyways it only took me 15 days from the day I got the RROD and the day I got my xbox back. Thats not too bad.

9/17 received at repair facility
9/27 new serial number on service.xbox.com

I called the customer service line, and the guy told me that 'it's with a tech being repaired, so it should ship out in the next day or so'.

Well I got my 360 for christmas last year and and after opening the wrapping I told my GF who bought me the system that I wasnt going to open the system itself.

I wanted to bring it back to gamestop and exchange it for another brand new one so I could buy the replacement warranty for it because of all the 3 red light problems I had read about late last year.

Anyways, I take it back and the guy kept telling me I didnt need to get the warranty because he had never known of anyone whos xbox crapped out on them. Needless to say, I bought it anyways.

Now, I am extremely careful with all my belongings and that goes for the 360 as well. It has been in the same spot since december in a nice cool area free from direct sunlight on a wood shelf next to my plasma so I dont really think I could have possibly done a better job of keeping it nice and safe.

So last night I was playing eternal sonata and the game locked up so I restart it and it locks up again, then I unplug it and plug it back in and turn it on and I start getting 3 red lights. I just turn it off for the night and try it again this morning, and it just locked up on me again, so I decided to use that replacement warranty that the guy told me I would never need and got it replaced earlier today.

Now I know that the chips were supposed to change in the newer systems, has anything else changed? (HDMI?) If so, what are the dates that the changes took place?

Any pro system that has HDMI will have a new heatsink that should help with the problems, most Elites on shelves have it as well.

You can verify by looking for HDMI included on the premium boxes, or by looking for "zephyr" under the serial number flap on the box.

The new 65nm chips aren't out yet (see thread--they maybe, but may be false alarm) but a lot of people think it won't help much as that's the CPU and the RRoD problem is mainly from the GPU overheating.

HDMI was added in July as well I believe. Looking for HDMI is just easier as all of them have the heatsink.

Just need the dates to check the Elites, as those always had HDMI and some of the old ones don't have heatsinks.

So for the elite you need to check the date, or look for Zephyr. With premiums, just looking for HDMI is sufficient.

Well I just checked it and its an HDMI premium made on 07-07-2007 ..

Couple more questions, does it come with regular component cables or HDMI cables, does the HDMI actually make any difference with games? And the HDMI cables are needed to upscale the dvds to 720p right?

Premiums come with component cables.

You will need to buy an HDMI cable if you want to run HDMI. You may need some audio adapters depending on your speaker situation.

HDMI is a big improvement, and opens up alot of features. Most of the features are available with the VGA kit, but VGA is all washed-out and icky, so HDMI is the way to go if you have it.

Also do me a favor and punch that Gamestop employee in the face: I've had three 360's crap out on me already. If he hasn't had even one yet, he can't call himself a gamer.

Comes with component, only the Elite has HDMI. HDMI doesn't make much difference over component.

Not sure about upscaling, but that's probably correct as most stand alone players only upscale over HDMI.

The other thing to consider, is that the component cable has an option for optical out to run to your surround sound receiver. If you use HDMI, then you lose the optical connector as the componet cable won't fit in it's slot with an HDMI cable plugged in.

So if you're receiver doesn't have HDMI, you have to buy either the MS HDMI cable which is MSRP $50, or I think there are some third party component cables that are smaller and will fit in with the HDMI plugged in and have optical out.

Of course, if you just use the sound of your TV speakers, it's a non-issue since the HDMI will pass the sound to the TV. This does give another option, in that some TVs have an optical out port capable of passing Dolby Digital on to a receiver, and you can use that if your TV has one.

Sorry for all the extra info, but hope it helps!

[quote name='badboysean']Anyways, I take it back and the guy kept telling me I didnt need to get the warranty because he had never known of anyone whos xbox crapped out on them. [/QUOTE]

A lie that big deserves a cockpunch. There is a reason this thread is 2300+ posts long.

The reason is because the 360s are defective as originally designed and manufactured. Whether the newest and refurbished models are also defective is currently unclear.

BTW, that first 360 of mine that bricked on Wednesday had the Zephyr mobo. Poor girl never even got to have her hole filled by an HDMI cable.

Mine just RROD'd... and I was on the last level of Halo 3!!! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???? Gosh, I am SO PISSED OFF right now!!!! I just got mine at the start of summer, so I already missed the price drop/new BB bundle/HDMI, etc... and now it goes and Red Rings on me when I'm on the last Halo 3 mission! SHAQ-FU!!!

The quality control is just mind numbingly bad with these consoles.

But I digress, what are my options if it goes down on me again? There was a brochure inside the box for a 2 year warranty through MS for $50 something bucks.

What is the standard warranty if I dont pay the extra money for that crap .... Which I will undoubtedly need but its still crap that I should pay more money for another warranty for a console that probably wont last 12 months like my last one.

Just got the red ring...i buy the console 2 months after it releases and of course it waits till i start playing halo 3 to brick....oh well...free to fix...except i have to wait till tomorrow to call cause the stupid support website doesnt like my serial number

edit: i only got the one red light...anyone got fixed for free with only one light?

I ordered my coffin this morning and performed the towel trick on my 360 and it has been on for almost 2 hours with no problems...can i just hold onto my reference number and coffin just in case I need them later?

[quote name='Malik112099']I ordered my coffin this morning and performed the towel trick on my 360 and it has been on for almost 2 hours with no problems...can i just hold onto my reference number and coffin just in case I need them later?[/quote]You'll need it in a few hours to a few days.

"Towel Fix" has a very, very limited scope.

I'd just send it in and get it fixed. It's going to break at some point, and probably sooner rather than later if you've already had problems with it.

I'd just get it over with, and send it in and get one back with the heat sink added etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd just send it in and get it fixed. It's going to break at some point, and probably sooner rather than later if you've already had problems with it.

I'd just get it over with, and send it in and get one back with the heat sink added etc.[/QUOTE]

But wait until it messes up again. If you send it back with it working they are going to just return it.

They give you 30 days to send your console. If they don't recieve your console after 30 days from the day you recieved the coffin then they cancel the repair.

Sorry if this is an obvious question or has already been answered (I don't feel like looking through all 108 pages).

I sent my 360 in a while back. The tracking number says it has been delivered. Is there any way to check Microsoft's progress fixing it so I can get an idea when it will be back?

After doing some testing/searching, turns out I got E 74, which is the AV cable/ somthing about the video processor/ Anyone had something similar/got it fixed free? Or, if they don't do that... how do I make it RROD so I can get it fixed free?

EDIT: Tried the towel trick, and nothing, so maybe it is just my A/V cable then?

[quote name='regisphilbi0']After doing some testing/searching, turns out I got E 74, which is the AV cable/ somthing about the video processor/ Anyone had something similar/got it fixed free? Or, if they don't do that... how do I make it RROD so I can get it fixed free?[/quote]

same thing i got...did the towel trick and it has been on for the last 3 hours with no problems

Heat is bad for computer electronics. That's why there are cooling fans, heatsinks, vents, etc. Intentionally turning your Xbox into an oven is the worst thing you could do to it. Might as well drop it off your roof to fix it.

[quote name='Sockey']Sorry if this is an obvious question or has already been answered (I don't feel like looking through all 108 pages).

I sent my 360 in a while back. The tracking number says it has been delivered. Is there any way to check Microsoft's progress fixing it so I can get an idea when it will be back?[/QUOTE]

service.xbox.com

Don't expect any updates, though.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']My 360 has started to stop reading discs. I guess I'll be calling Microsoft soon.

EDIT: Once I went to call Microsft it started working again.[/quote]

Maybe you should just threaten to call the 360's mommy everytime you turn it on. :)

Ok... the following is off topic, but, there need to be some clarifications for someone that might read dmaul's post here. I don't mean to pick on you dmaul, I just disagree with some of what you posted, and some I don't understand.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Comes with component, only the Elite has HDMI.[/quote]

Um... do you just mean the cable? There are premium system out now that come with HDMI.

[quote name='dmaul1114']HDMI doesn't make much difference over component.[/quote]

Woah! What?! Maybe you don't see the change, but I saw an immediate difference. Brighter colors and clearer picture. Not to mention the huge improvement in HD-DVDs. Even regular DVDs look a bit better. NOTE: I was upgrading from component premium Xbox to an Elite HDMI Xbox.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Not sure about upscaling, but that's probably correct as most stand alone players only upscale over HDMI.[/quote]

It depends on your television actually. My Sony KDS does not upscale the picture from 1080i to 1080p through component. But my friends' television does upscale to 1080p through HDMI. Thing is, component 1080p is considered by some to be inferior to HDMI 1080p since the component is not native and depending on what's upscaling can give a slightly degraded picture.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The other thing to consider, is that the component cable has an option for optical out to run to your surround sound receiver. If you use HDMI, then you lose the optical connector as the componet cable won't fit in it's slot with an HDMI cable plugged in.[/quote]

Are you talking about the premium w/ HDMI? Because the Elite not only gave me the ability to use HDMI for picture & Optical for the sound, but came with a connecter specifically for sound only. The only thing that I needed that wasn't in the Elite box was the actual optical cable. I already owned one of these, however, because it's what I was using w/ my Premium system.

Ok. On a more on topic post. Where exactly should I be checking the status of my repair? When I login to Xbox360.com I see no repair status page or link to such a thing.

[quote name='regisphilbi0']After doing some testing/searching, turns out I got E 74, which is the AV cable/ somthing about the video processor/ Anyone had something similar/got it fixed free? Or, if they don't do that... how do I make it RROD so I can get it fixed free?

EDIT: Tried the towel trick, and nothing, so maybe it is just my A/V cable then?[/quote]

did you wait till the xbox cut itself off and 2 red lights were flashing? I waited till just the 2 red lights were flashing (overheated indicator) and then unwrapped it and let it cool down for a little while...worked like normal after that...i left it on for 2 hours then played 2 hours of halo 3 and still no problems

[quote name='TheInfamousTimmy']
It depends on your television actually. My Sony KDS does not upscale the picture from 1080i to 1080p through component. But my friends' television does upscale to 1080p through HDMI. Thing is, component 1080p is considered by some to be inferior to HDMI 1080p since the component is not native and depending on what's upscaling can give a slightly degraded picture.
.[/QUOTE]

I believe you're mistaken.

1080p isn't even achieveable through component. Hence the reason for the HDMI in the first place. Theoretically, HDMI is producing a purely digital signal. That's why the xbox is able to upconvert regular DVDs in the first place...

read it for yourself...

omfg...2 weeks after i get my refurbished repaired 360 all of a sudden it wont read any discs and i hae to send it in again! i think ill buy a new one so i can play halo 3 will my repaired one comes back, or i might commit suicide

What are my options if my system goes down on me again? There was a brochure inside the new 360 box for a 2 year warranty through MS for $50 something bucks.

What is the standard warranty if I dont pay the extra money for that crap .... Which I will undoubtedly need but its still crap that I should pay more money for another warranty for a console that probably wont last 12 months like my last one.

No RROD for me, but my 9 month old premium will not read disks anymore. It is definitely a defective dvd drive. They are sending me the box right now. Wondering if they will fix my actual system and send it back to me. I do not want somebody else's turd. Who knows how they took care of it, etc. Any thoughts?

[quote name='pogipinoy27']I believe you're mistaken.

1080p isn't even achieveable through component. Hence the reason for the HDMI in the first place. Theoretically, HDMI is producing a purely digital signal. That's why the xbox is able to upconvert regular DVDs in the first place...

read it for yourself...[/quote]

You are the one that is mistaken...last time I checked my Samsung HL-S5687W displays 1080p through component cables just fine

[quote name='Malik112099']You are the one that is mistaken...last time I checked my Samsung HL-S5687W displays 1080p through component cables just fine[/QUOTE]

For games, yes. Not movies.

[quote name='badboysean']What are my options if my system goes down on me again? There was a brochure inside the new 360 box for a 2 year warranty through MS for $50 something bucks.

What is the standard warranty if I dont pay the extra money for that crap .... Which I will undoubtedly need but its still crap that I should pay more money for another warranty for a console that probably wont last 12 months like my last one.[/quote]

The standard warranty is 1 year and 3 years on RRoD. The $50 warranty will include accessories purchased in the box with your xbox (like controller and HDD) to 3 years. The MS warranty can be extended again for an additional fee at the end of 3 years.

I bought the MS warranty and I'm kicking myself in the ass hard. Now that i have RRoD I'm down for 3-5 weeks. That's rediculous. They should have maximum 2-week turn around.

If I had bought at Costco I could just take it back. If I had bought an extended warranty at Best Buy, CC, EB, etc. then I could just take it in and get a replacement.

Hindsight is 20/20. Ugh.

My launch system finally up and bit the dust Saturday. I came home after work and had numerous freeze ups that I had to power the unit down, and restart. Finally gave up, and ran some errands. Later Saturday evening went back to mess with it some more and now all I get is the RROD upon power up. :(

[quote name='edison']My launch system finally up and bit the dust Saturday. I came home after work and had numerous freeze ups that I had to power the unit down, and restart. Finally gave up, and ran some errands. Later Saturday evening went back to mess with it some more and now all I get is the RROD upon power up. :([/quote]

exactly what happened to me so i feel ur pain but mine was right after i came back from the midnight launch of halo3. it lasted a while and M$ is fixing for free so i cant be too mad... but honestly every single one of my friends with an xbox has gotten red ringed. 100% failure rates are typically not good.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']For games, yes. Not movies.[/QUOTE]

thats true, but its not a technical limitation it is a limitation imposed because of DRM. And I think most people agree that there is little actual difference in picture quality between HDMI and component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back