Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, add me to the support group. Manufactured 1/06 - just died yesterday.

Sadly, that seems like a long time after perusing this thread... :bomb:

Arghhh, now im gonna miss out on COD4, Mass Effect, etc. while I wait this out. About how long till i get it back? I'm gonna call it in tomorrow.

My Xbox 360 now broke. I don't what the date on it is but it hasn't red ringed yet. The Graphics started getting all corrupted and now nothing shows up on the screen at all, it is just black. I am gonna call for a coffin today.

[quote name='halvorsb']Just called in my fifth RRoD...I'm done with the 360 and going to buy everything new on the PS3. The achievement points are just not worth it.

I've got two 360's in the house, the first one was a launch console that has been "refurbed" 4 times and I picked up an elite at launch a few months back...that one just red ringed today. I haven't had a refurb last for more than 45 days, so I'm due to send in one more before the end of the year. I wouldn't be so pissed if it wasn't for the stupid DRM on DLC.[/QUOTE]Yeah, it's why I do the same myself. ;)

Yeah, one reason I'm afraid to buy XBLA stuff is because I'll have to re-obtain codes for them again the next time my 360 breaks. I already had to do it once and gotta do it again (I already lost a few games like UNO when I'm not connected to XBL).

[quote name='Brak']I just got my "fixed" 360 back.

Any idea why, when I insert a game disc, I get the ridiculous warning:

To play this disc, put it in an Xbox 360 console.

Did they put old Xbox parts in my 360's case?[/quote]

That is one of the funniest and dumbest error messages I've ever heard of.

Called for the coffin today. I don't know if the questions you get asked are the same and have been posted on here (dont feel like reading 2600+ posts), but one question I was asked was if I had my 360 plugged into a surge protector or directly into the wall. I said into a surge protector (because I do) and thought that's what they'd want to hear anyway. The rep said you're supposed to plug it directly into the wall, because the power brick acts as a surge protector. Plugging into a separate surge protector causes it to struggle for power and causes the system to work much harder - increasing wear & tear and shortening the life span, and causing RROD quicker.

True or a load of BS?

Also, I know I'm not the only one to pay for an extended warranty for the 360 - I did so when I first bought it. Since MS gave everyone 2 years free, do those of us that paid for an Extended Warranty get our money back upon request?

[quote name='Link127']Called for the coffin today. I don't know if the questions you get asked are the same and have been posted on here (dont feel like reading 2600+ posts), but one question I was asked was if I had my 360 plugged into a surge protector or directly into the wall. I said into a surge protector (because I do) and thought that's what they'd want to hear anyway. The rep said you're supposed to plug it directly into the wall, because the power brick acts as a surge protector. Plugging into a separate surge protector causes it to struggle for power and causes the system to work much harder - increasing wear & tear and shortening the life span, and causing RROD quicker.

True or a load of BS?

Also, I know I'm not the only one to pay for an extended warranty for the 360 - I did so when I first bought it. Since MS gave everyone 2 years free, do those of us that paid for an Extended Warranty get our money back upon request?[/quote]That is also what I was told after my second RROD, so I've plugged the console into the wall now. I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't verify whether or not the power consumption theory is true.

[quote name='Link127']Called for the coffin today. I don't know if the questions you get asked are the same and have been posted on here (dont feel like reading 2600+ posts), but one question I was asked was if I had my 360 plugged into a surge protector or directly into the wall. I said into a surge protector (because I do) and thought that's what they'd want to hear anyway. The rep said you're supposed to plug it directly into the wall, because the power brick acts as a surge protector. Plugging into a separate surge protector causes it to struggle for power and causes the system to work much harder - increasing wear & tear and shortening the life span, and causing RROD quicker.

True or a load of BS?

Also, I know I'm not the only one to pay for an extended warranty for the 360 - I did so when I first bought it. Since MS gave everyone 2 years free, do those of us that paid for an Extended Warranty get our money back upon request?[/quote]

Personally I think that is a load. You know how much stuff you plug into a surge protector all the time. Every computer I have ever owned has been pluged into one. I run my huge table saw, and miter saw through surge protectors and the blade doesn't stuggle to cut through wood... and blah blah blah. I have never ever heard of anything that "shouldn't be plugged into a surge protector" in my life. Sounds like MS has no idea what is going on and they are grasping at straws to try to pin this crap on the consumer.

agreed... and btw hx214... go steelers

[quote name='hx214']Personally I think that is a load. You know how much stuff you plug into a surge protector all the time. Every computer I have ever owned has been pluged into one. I run my huge table saw, and miter saw through surge protectors and the blade doesn't stuggle to cut through wood... and blah blah blah. I have never ever heard of anything that "shouldn't be plugged into a surge protector" in my life. Sounds like MS has no idea what is going on and they are grasping at straws to try to pin this crap on the consumer.[/quote]

My 03/06 manufactured box quit reading discs. Got my box Thursday, sent off to McAllen Friday morning. Since I didn't have any red rings, I had to pay $99.

I called Sunday to get an update (and hopefully a tracking #.) The woman said it was received on Oct 31 (thanks I already knew this!), but that nothing else was in the system. She suggested that I call back at the end of the week for a tracking number because its probably already shipped. If it's already shipped, it will be here before the end of the week....

dealer you might want to call back. they received mine on the 24th and still havent shipped it. I now have someone personally working on my case. Hopefully it'll ship soon.

This thread needs a sticky.

Well, my 2nd 360 just died on my last night, it was freezing during the playback of a dvd on Wednesday, i decided to jam on some GHIII demo last night, and sure enough RED Rings x 3!! Called M$ and am waiting for my coffin. *sniffles*

My console is on its 4th day at the plant... Meanwhile my COD4 is in route to my house.... That would be the definiton of "This Blows..."

And GeneralJenkins... All I know is we are going to give you a better game than the first time through!!

Go BROWNS!

my 360 just died an hour ago - after playing COD4 for about 3 minutes (tutorial level). This was my 2nd 360.

thanks MS ... :(

I hate to have to re-visit this thread. Just ordered coffin #2 online, at least this time I don't have to talk to someone halfway around the world who I can't understand.

First system red ringed, this one gives disc read errors. I put up with it for a couple of months but tonight it bumped me to the dashboard in the middle of Madden for the last time.

And hooray for crappy DRM on all the content that now I'll have to be connected to XBL to use.

My Xbox 360 got RROD today (WTF, it seems like a lot of people have been getting RROD recently). This is RROD right?

RROD.jpg

Anyway, I have a question about XBLA games. You can only play them when you are connected to the internet after you get the Xbox 360 back? Is there a way to play the XBLA games offline as well? Thanks.

After hitting lvl 5 in CoD4 I stopped to watch House. After that was over i started my 360 up only to hear this ungodly grinding noise. I quickly took out CoD4 and popped in some crappy game to test if it was working. Unplayable on anything i put in there =(. Called and my box should be here by 3 days. This is my 2nd box, and it's an elite. There ain't nothing l33t about this piece of crap black box.

Hey guys, My xbox has been at the McAllen plant since friday. Max keeps telling me "Your xbox has been recieved and is being repaired" Will they actually change that message or should I go through the hassle of waiting on the phone and try to get an answer out of someone there? I figured they would get my xbox and send me another one out in like a day or two

[quote name='dacool561']After hitting lvl 5 in CoD4 I stopped to watch House. After that was over i started my 360 up only to hear this ungodly grinding noise. I quickly took out CoD4 and popped in some crappy game to test if it was working. Unplayable on anything i put in there =(. Called and my box should be here by 3 days. This is my 2nd box, and it's an elite. There ain't nothing l33t about this piece of crap black box.[/quote]

Damn even an Elite is gettin the treatment too? So much for the Nano Meters, wtf is their problem why can't they get anything right? And I was looking to invest in an Elite too. Now it seems like anything with a box from microsoft will FU on you.

Whelp, looks like I'm gonna be calling for coffin #2 soon. I tried to play some Halo this morning, and my 360 kept freezing over and over again. This is the same thing my first 'box did before it bit the dust.

just got my coffin today... called for it last wednesday too. ms is slacking compared to the first time i got my box repaired a month ago. hopefully it'll be the same 2 day turnaround in texas that it was before, and they give me an xbox that lasts over 2 weeks.

for someone that just spent $180 (halo 3, orange box, gh3) and will be spending another $240 before christmas (assassins creed, mass effect, cod4, rock band) i feel like they should be sending me back a console with hdmi (if not just a working console).

btw i'll update my process when i get it back, im in central pa.

Was playing Guitar Hero 3 lastnight, got a snack, came back turned on the 360. Tried to start GH3 again and NOPE! Game froze so I reset. Dashboard loads up np and everything plays just the DVD drive won't read any games now. So lame and its an Elite. I really don't want to send it out and wait forever for it to come back. Theres no grinding, it just sounds like the laser can't move. Someone mentioned its the spring and if you open it up just slide it back and things will be ok. I've debated on doing that, but if red rings later on I'm screwed. Damn you Microsoft and your shoddily made optic drives.

Does anyone know if the MS Support page automatically updates your repair status when they get your console?

I've been checking mine and all it says is that there's no repair order right now and I haven't received an email from MS that they got my console, though it was delivered yesterday.

Sucks... 44/47 achievements.. was about to get my 100th win.. was on game 99.. just about to kill the guy..

*crash*

RROD

Sigh..

Off to best buy tomorrow to return the elite.. and get a premium with hdmi.. and marvel and forza.. and get 100 +bucks back.. and get cod4 CE + cod3 with a price match.. and disgaea psp.. sigh.

I doubt that the game did it.

It was probably going to detonate, regardless of what title was spinning in the DVD drive; they're ticking time bombs.

what about those that paid for the 2 year extended warranty when they first got their 360? do they get their money back since MS gave everyone the EW for free?

[quote name='Link127']what about those that paid for the 2 year extended warranty when they first got their 360? do they get their money back since MS gave everyone the EW for free?[/QUOTE]
AFAIK, the extended warranty still covers issues other than RROD. The 3-year extension to all 360s was just for the rings issue.

[quote name='Zingela']AFAIK, the extended warranty still covers issues other than RROD. The 3-year extension to all 360s was just for the rings issue.[/quote]I do believe you are correct, sir.

[quote name='deadite76']Does anyone know if there's a difference whether the lights are flashing or not?[/quote]Kindly explain. Your RROD are pulsating? I can't remember whether mine did or not, but I don't think it matters either way. It's only the number of quadrants that differentiates between the different hardware problems.

So I turned on my 360 just now, and it froze. Tried it again, and it gave me an E 79 screen and one flashing red light in the bottom right corner. Anybody know what that means?

EDIT: I really just need to know if MS will repair/replace it for free if it doesn't have the three red lights. Mine is still fucked, but it only has one flashing light. It's out of the 3-month warranty I got with my first refurb, so yeah. My only hope is the 3-year extended warranty.

Well, got my 360 back today, mfg. date 10-10-06. Looks like it has an old heatsink, since I can see the copper pipe. But the kicker is, they sent me a 1 month card. I never heard of that before. I didnt have to complain or anything, it came with my replacement.

Edit: NVM, I guess the 1 month card is standard now

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back