Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOB : 11-7-2005
RROD : 11-28-2007

It has been two great years. So many games yet to finish, Blue Dragon, COD4, Halo 3, GH3...and haven't even opened Mass Effect yet. This will be a long 3+ weeks, hopefully it gets back before Christmas...got the wife Scene-It?

Coincidently, I just got off the phone with Microsoft earlier today to get a coffin for my month old Zune refurb from Woot.

Well I had a friend come over since he's done that towel trick before and he did it for me, I can't believe that works. He hopped on youtube and showed me a video on it that CheapyD made (never saw it before, was pretty surprised to see him on it).

Hopefully it will last for a week so I have something to do between now and when my coffin arrives. I hope it lasts longer but I'll take an extra week out of it. I have no other consoles at all, I only had a 360 and PC, obviously.

So yeah, count me in on that towel trick thing as well.

Question ... why doesn't Microsoft make a flip top version? A lot of these disc drive problems with scratching and such could be avoided with a GameCube style flip top.

[quote name='opportunity777']Question ... why doesn't Microsoft make a flip top version? A lot of these disc drive problems with scratching and such could be avoided with a GameCube style flip top.[/QUOTE]

Because the front loading design saves space.

I agree with you, however. It's just not how they design these things any more.

[quote name='Gourd']Because the front loading design saves space.

I agree with you, however. It's just not how they design these things any more.[/QUOTE]

Even slot-loading is better than this tray bullshit. I scratched a couple of games up before I fixed my drive to be more secure. I don't understand how some of these products pass QC.

Sometimes, being sleek and saving space (like you mentioned) needs to be thrown out the window for durability and quality.

I got a diferent box, They seem to last 2 years max. My old one's DOB was 11/22/05 and it died late oct / early sept like the other guys box.

Well back to H3 and I need to pick up Mass Effect

That sounds about right. Mine is about to go out and is about 2 years old. Think it was made 12/1/05. It would be nice if the damn thing would just go out and not keep toying with me.

[quote name='Smeag']I got a diferent box, They seem to last 2 years max. My old one's DOB was 11/22/05 and it died late oct / early sept like the other guys box.

Well back to H3 and I need to pick up Mass Effect[/QUOTE]

Dang! Mine is now dead, ARGH!

How long will this take guys?

Thank god I have a Wii, but I feel like shit right now. I bought this 360 in August of 2006, ahhh!

[quote name='help1']Dang! Mine is now dead, ARGH!

Thank god I have a Wii, but I feel like shit right now. I bought this 360 in August of 2006, ahhh![/QUOTE]

Same as me, bought in August 06, manufactured april 06.

RRoD on tuesday. Just did the towel trick today to get me through the week or so it will take to get the box (coffin). Worked like a charm.

I have nothing else to play at all though, except a PC. Traded or sold all my consoles and I only had a 360, so you may not be as desperate as I was. I get bored easily when I have finished all my work and have nothing/nowhere to go.

Thank god I have a Wii, but I feel like shit right now. I bought this 360 in August of 2006, ahhh![/quote]

the one i just got back took 4 weeks. dont do the towel trick like the guy above me, just in case you happen to get the same one back. its not worth the risk.

How long will this take guys?[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that! Took just under 3 weeks to get mine back after I called for my coffin.

Thank god I have a Wii, but I feel like shit right now. I bought this 360 in August of 2006, ahhh![/quote]

That's what I thought, too. Until my Wii died a week later.

Now, both of them are heading in for repairs. Hope you have better luck than me.

BTW: It is taking a week just to get my coffin.

I just got my (second) coffin. When I called for it they told me they were gonna send me a bigger box this time and wanted me to include my power supply. Well, the box is the same as the coffin when my first died and has zero room to include the power supply. None of the documentation mentions including the power supply either. I know some ofther people here mentioned getting the request for the power supply - did you get a bigger box or what was the deal?
I hate to call India and get conflicting advice, I'm assuming I'll just send the 360 only.

Oh, a friend just bought a 360 Arcade unit and the plug is only a 2 prong plug without the third grounding on it. Are all 360's like that now? I was suprised by that.

Eh, 3-4 weeks isn't too bad since I actually got to atleast try the Orange Box, Halo and COD 4. Guess it's time to whip out Super Mario Galaxy and beat it.

Got mine back around 3 P.M. today. Not going to say if it works or not, I'll just say that I'm very paranoid and superstitious.

Regardless, I was fortunate with the turnaround time. Two-and-a-half weeks. Never realized I could get so interested in Mii creation, let me tell you.

My friend in CT got his coffin and system repaired and sent back to his house in a record 13 days. Maybe MS is starting to turn this around? The repair time anyways.

Mine's still going strong after two years *jinks himself* well I got a Wii and DS just incase.

But Wiis going bad? That's pretty absurd.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']My friend in CT got his coffin and system repaired and sent back to his house in a record 13 days. Maybe MS is starting to turn this around? The repair time anyways.

Mine's still going strong after two years *jinks himself* well I got a Wii and DS just incase.

But Wiis going bad? That's pretty absurd.[/quote]

Yeah, I was proud that my 360 that I got on 11/19/05 has worked fine for two years. Then, just a couple days after it's second "birthday" - it RROD'd on me. (I did get one RROD back in september, but it was a 1 time thing and was fine after a reboot.)

I figured I'd be fine, since I had just gotten Mario Galaxy, but this past Monday it just refused to play Wii games anymore. (Which is funny because between SMG and RE4, my Wii hasn't been played this much since I got it in January.)

I just got my coffin today (Xbox Support told me I'd have it by Saturday - it took a week to arrive), so tomorrow I get to swing by FedEx and UPS to ship off both consoles and see which comes back quicker...

Hmmm...that is an interesting concept...the repair challenge...

I'm a bit worried. They got the system yesterday(thanksgiving turned 3 day shipping into 7), and today it now says shipped back to customer. Last time at least the serial number changed, but now it hasn't. I really hope they didn't just turn it on, get lucky with no RROD, and send it back. With any luck they just haven't changed the SS# yet.

I know I have asked about this in the past but no one said anything that I know of, but what would happen if you sent one in and said it had rrod when it didn't. I have posted what mine is doing and am sick of it. So I'm wondering if I should just call say it rrod and send it and see what they do. Thing is I dont want them to charge me for it if they find nothing wrong with it.

[quote name='sendme']I know I have asked about this in the past but no one said anything that I know of, but what would happen if you sent one in and said it had rrod when it didn't. I have posted what mine is doing and am sick of it. So I'm wondering if I should just call say it rrod and send it and see what they do. Thing is I dont want them to charge me for it if they find nothing wrong with it.[/quote]They'll send it back to you or call you and get authorization to charge your card to fix it. They check the actual status of the console with what you report.

So if I told them that it gets the rrod but if I shut it off and unplug it that it that it works for about a week after that, or I get random rrod what do you think they would do? I don't want to send it telling them it has it all the time and when they see it doesnt them send it back but I want a different one.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']They'll send it back to you or call you and get authorization to charge your card to fix it. They check the actual status of the console with what you report.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sendme']So if I told them that it gets the rrod but if I shut it off and unplug it that it that it works for about a week after that, or I get random rrod what do you think they would do? I don't want to send it telling them it has it all the time and when they see it doesnt them send it back but I want a different one.[/quote]Honestly, I don't know. I would imagine they would have you jump through hoops to try and figure out what your exact problem is. I would caution against it, though, as they may somehow flag your account. I'm not stating they do that, but they might since I would imagine this isn't the first time someone has tried to circumvent their warranty repair status with the RROD and they're aware of it.

Besides, I think once they open it up they'll able to see clear indications of RROD within the components. You can give it a try and report back on how it goes. It would be interesting to find out about that.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']But Wiis going bad? That's pretty absurd.[/QUOTE]

The Wii and PS3 are really stable.

I have gone through zero, but my nephew has blown two Wiis. They are definitely not as well-built as the GCN, but he's only 8 years old (he was younger and dumber with a GCN and never broke even one). He did a lot of stupid things to the Wii to make it broken, so his parents are happy Nintendo even replaces them.

I don't understand how the original XBOX is so much more stable than the 360. Mind-boggling.

At this point, MS should change the color of the LED for the RROD to purple, blue or some other more soothing color.

NEVER send with your hard drive.
I asked before but no respoce, has anyone sent their power brick back? When I called for my coffin, the person said they were sending a larger box and wanted me to inlcude the power cable and brick. The box arrived, and it was the regular sized box with just room for the console.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']NEVER send with your hard drive.
I asked before but no respoce, has anyone sent their power brick back? When I called for my coffin, the person said they were sending a larger box and wanted me to inlcude the power cable and brick. The box arrived, and it was the regular sized box with just room for the console.[/quote]

They told me the same thing but I havent received my coffin yet. I'll let you know.

Just got my "replacement". It was manufactured November 9th 2007. Hopefully it lasts as long as my first one. Testing it now...

EDIT: Works, so far... I only tested it for like 5 minutes. I have to go to class now.

[quote name='Speed Racer']Got my replacement console today and it was dead right out of the box, with a manufacture date of 11-12-2007. Not good, not good at all.[/quote]

[quote name='cheekymonkey582']Yay, get my box back from teh limo, 3 days later and it breaks! anotehr ones commin fantastic....[/quote]

OMG that is ridiculous! :lol:

Just sent off my 360 to MS. Hopefully it will get back before the 20th because I'm leaving town for Christmas. Maybe I'll just stay here and miss Christmas, my sisters wedding and an important job interview so I can sign for my 360 when it comes. That's understandable right?

My 360 finally broke down after 11 months of constant use. No RROD, but it has some video output problem where it outputs a black screen with white dots running across it.

Called today, and ordered a coffin for it. I also requested that, if possible, I'd like a new console, not a refurb. The lady said that they don't ship refurbs out anymore, only new 360s? I hope that's true, but I don't see why it would be.

Also, do they want the power supply too?

[quote name='Danil ACE']
Also, do they want the power supply too?[/quote]

Not unless they asked for it. I just received a new 360 today from shipping my old one in for repairs. It doesn't have the HDMI port though.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Not unless they asked for it. I just received a new 360 today from shipping my old one in for repairs. It doesn't have the HDMI port though.[/quote]
How do you know that it's a new unit? Is there some special packaging or sticker on it? Or are you going based on visible condition?

The reason I'm wondering is because new 360s have slightly different power supllies.

[quote name='Danil ACE']
Called today, and ordered a coffin for it. I also requested that, if possible, I'd like a new console, not a refurb. The lady said that they don't ship refurbs out anymore, only new 360s? I hope that's true, but I don't see why it would be.
[/QUOTE]

That would be great news. I don't think there has been a console in history (or $400+ electronic item of any kind for that matter), that has been so plagued with problems. The least they can do is replace them with newer, higher quality (knock on wood) systems.

[quote name='Danil ACE']How do you know that it's a new unit? Is there some special packaging or sticker on it? Or are you going based on visible condition?

The reason I'm wondering is because new 360s have slightly different power supllies.[/QUOTE]

From my understanding it can not be a new one. The new ones all have HDMI. If the one they sent him does not then they stopped puting HDMI on all the new ones or they did not send a new one.

I sort of thought that my dvd drive would be the thing to die on my 360, if anything. I certainly wasn't expecting my GPU to be fried. (How does this even happen? My 360 worked yesterday and I only played uno...for about 15-20 minutes).

My replacement is broken, but not in the way you'd suspect.

Microsoft sent me a console that someone had used for another region DVD code. From what I understand, it can only be changed with a hack.

I was planning on exchanging it through the store exchange anyways, so not a huge deal. Wish they would check this crap before they send it back out, though.

[quote name='sendme']From my understanding it can not be a new one. The new ones all have HDMI. If the one they sent him does not then they stopped puting HDMI on all the new ones or they did not send a new one.[/quote]

i got a new one manufactured in october, and it doesnt have HDMI. It was my third repair so they promised me id get a new one, and i did. They are still probably make a very small amount of non HDMI;s or something

[quote name='omgu8myrice']i got a new one manufactured in october, and it doesnt have HDMI. It was my third repair so they promised me id get a new one, and i did. They are still probably make a very small amount of non HDMI;s or something[/QUOTE]

That is odd. I wonder if it was old stock and they just put the date on it.

Haha, this is a fucking joke. Not but four days after receiving my third replacement, it gets the rings. I'm going to demand a brand new console from MS, and a free game. This is ridiculous.

I've said it before, but how the hell can MS get away with such crap? I know cause they are MS. It is beyond disgusting. I wonder if they seriously realize how many sales they are missing out on cause of the shitty product build. I have friends who won't buy the 360 for the sole reason of the reliability.

Well, my 360 just red ringed permanently. Mar 06 manufacturing date. I'm on the phone with MS right now.

For those that sent your system in. Do you send the hard drive in as well? There is no way I'm losing all that info/data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back