Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I sent away the box on the 23rd/24th. Hasn't appeared on MS's site yet, but apparently that takes time. According to the tracking number, it was delieverd somewhere on Friday...

Wow, I have to say I'm extremely impressed with MS right now

They overnight me a box, with a label to overnight back to them the console
they received it on Friday, sent it back today via overnight. Should be here tomorrow

Not only did they resolve my warranty status, that they claimed i didnt have, they extended it till Jan 09 from July 08

I just sold my repaired 360 for $250... not too bad considering I bought a new bundle at Costco (extra controller,plugcharge, COD4) that had the HDMI and is a Falcon for $450. I sold the extra controller for $45. So all in all, it cost me about $150 to upgrade to the newer model and have the lifetime warranty( via Costco )...... not too bad, this prevents me from having to ever wait 2 weeks for repairs.

My original 360 was a launch unit and I know for a fact that it'll RRoD again eventually.... plus I wanted the HDMI connection

[quote name='AK85']Me too....I have only been waiting 6 days, but I don't think it took this long last time.[/quote]

It showed up a little bit ago, and I have it all boxed up and ready to go :D :cry:

I'm thinking of doing the Costco thing and selling the one I get back. The problem is I dunno if I want to drop $50 on a membership just for that one purchase. I already have a Sam's Club membership and probably wouldn't use Costco much. Anybody know Sam's Club's policy on 360 returns?

They repaired my 360 in 2 hours and sent it back to me the same day. I would be glad if it came back and actually work and not have them do nothing

How appropriate. 10 days after requesting the box, I get the box, and the system permanently red rings.

I noticed this time they shipped the box via UPS Ground, and the return to them was UPS Ground. The first time they shipped me a box for the original repair, it was via UPS 3 Day Select.

What the hell Microsoft?

I swear when I get this one back I am taking this pos up to Gamestop and immediately trading it in.

I have a lead on a dirt cheap red-ringed 360 with the warranty seal still intact. If I buy this system, is it possible to transfer over the warranty information to my name? Anyone here have experience with this kind of thing?

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']I have a lead on a dirt cheap red-ringed 360 with the warranty seal still intact. If I buy this system, is it possible to transfer over the warranty information to my name? Anyone here have experience with this kind of thing?[/QUOTE]

Just be sure to tell them you got it from an authorized MS reseller, like Gamestop or EB. If you tell them anything different they'll want to charge you for the repair work.

Wow! My 360 came back today....when I was sleeping :( As pissed off as that makes me, at least it took less than a week and I'll be getting my 360 back at 6:00 p.m.!
The thing is, I doubt they even rang the doorbell. The doorbell is like an alarm for me. Always wakes me up.

My 360 is out of warranty, but it experienced the RRoD three times in a row today. When requesting a repair on the site, it says:

Although your device shows out of warranty it may still qualify for a no-cost repair if you are experiencing the three flashing lights failure and are within three years of the original purchase date of the console.

For more information about the Ring of Light on your Xbox 360, please read Xbox 360: Three flashing red lights on the Ring of Light.

**NOTE**
If you choose 'Yes', above, we will confirm that the three flashing light failure has occurred on your console upon receipt. If this cannot be confirmed, we may return the console to you unrepaired.

Does this mean I need to add my receipt when I send it over?

My 360 keeps thinking my games are a DVD, saying I need to insert it in a 360 console. A restart or throwing a different game usually works. So far, it's done it with Orange Box, Saint's Row, COD4, THPG and Smackdown vs. Raw 08. Seems random.

I know that the RRoD is around the corner. Again.

Here's a question:

I bought my 360 in August 06. RRoD, sent for repair and got one back in January 07. I've been running off that one since without a hitch, except for the errors this past week. I should still be under warranty, right? Even if it doesn't red ring?

The rep told me I had until August 07 for the original system, they they would add ANOTHER year to that, covering me until August 08. But the rep barely understood english. At the end of the call, he asked me if I had any kids. What the hell?

My 360 keeps thinking my games are a DVD, saying I need to insert it in a 360 console. A restart or throwing a different game usually works. So far, it's done it with Orange Box, Saint's Row, COD4, THPG and Smackdown vs. Raw 08. Seems random.

Here's a question:

I bought my 360 in August 06. RRoD, sent for repair and got one back in January 07. I've been running off that one since without a hitch, except for the errors this past week. I should still be under warranty, right? Even if it doesn't red ring?

The rep told me I had until August 07 for the original system, they they would add ANOTHER year to that, covering me until August 08. But the rep barely understood english. At the end of the call, he asked me if I had any kids. What the hell?

My 360 got the RRoD in October last year and was fixed. Now I am getting the disc read errors like Scorch. I just called in to customer care and they said I would have to send my power cable in with the unit when the coffin arrives. Is this new? Last time I sent it in I didn't have to send the power cable in with it.

[quote name='lunchboxfett']My 360 got the RRoD in October last year and was fixed. Now I am getting the disc read errors like Scorch. I just called in to customer care and they said I would have to send my power cable in with the unit when the coffin arrives. Is this new? Last time I sent it in I didn't have to send the power cable in with it.[/quote]

I was told I would have to send it in when I called a few nights ago.

[quote name='Scorch']My 360 keeps thinking my games are a DVD, saying I need to insert it in a 360 console. A restart or throwing a different game usually works. So far, it's done it with Orange Box, Saint's Row, COD4, THPG and Smackdown vs. Raw 08. Seems random.

Here's a question:

The rep told me I had until August 07 for the original system, they they would add ANOTHER year to that, covering me until August 08. But the rep barely understood english. At the end of the call, he asked me if I had any kids. What the hell?[/QUOTE]

That's funny my 360 says my orange box disk is a dvd as well. I wonder if this is a new issue? I've never had it on my first 360.

Got my 360 back today, works great so far, a lot quiter, and dint' freeze on me

they gave me a new power supply

sent it thursday, rec fri, sent it back to me on monday, should have had it tues, no one was home tho, got it today... great turnaround

[quote name='Chronotrigga']My 360 is out of warranty, but it experienced the RRoD three times in a row today. When requesting a repair on the site, it says:

Does this mean I need to add my receipt when I send it over?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't say anything about your receipt in what you posted. It says they will check for a red ring error "upon receipt" of your system (ie when they receive your xbox). The public school system has failed you. :)

Also, I heard that Microsoft usually sends their boxes via UPS (with shipping label). Now, when I put my 360 back in the box, can I ship this out via USPS or do I have to ship it out UPS? Because.. my USPS Post Office is right around the corner.

Also, I heard that Microsoft usually sends their boxes via UPS (with shipping label). Now, when I put my 360 back in the box, can I ship this out via USPS or do I have to ship it out UPS? Because.. my USPS Post Office is right around the corner.

[quote name='MrDubbs']Got my 360 back today, works great so far, a lot quiter, and dint' freeze on me

sent it thursday, rec fri, sent it back to me on monday, should have had it tues, no one was home tho, got it today... great turnaround[/quote]
WTF, you must be the only person on this expedited plan. After hours of dealing with rude and partial support I was only offered a game, while I really just wanted to get it faster.

In the end I went the route of a new one, as it is BS, that we get yanked around when the cheap piece of hardware doesn't work.

[quote name='MrDubbs']Got my 360 back today, works great so far, a lot quiter, and dint' freeze on me

sent it thursday, rec fri, sent it back to me on monday, should have had it tues, no one was home tho, got it today... great turnaround[/QUOTE]

nice I'm hoping to get a turnaround like that since I am only 3 hours or so from the repair facility

Well, My luck finally ran out! I had a launch unit that lasted me a year before I finally sold it. I bought a new 360 in January 07 and haven't had a single problem until...today! I was getting ready to sell my 360 on Ebay and unplugged everything to take a picture for the auction. After I took the pics, I reconnected everything and started playing the Devil May Cry 4 demo and it locked up. Tried turning it back on and got hit with the the dreaded RROD. I tried unconnecting and reconnecting everything multiple times with no luck. Needless to say, my coffin is on it's way and my auction is now on hold for a while:cry:

My system was confirmed received by MS on the 30th. However when i checked yesterday on the xbox site, my console no longer shows under my registered devices.

Does this mean that my system has been replaced with a new one with a new serial number and is on its way back to me; or is it something else?

About to send in Xbox number 3.

My original 360 Red ringed. I sent it in. After two weeks of waiting, I broke down and bought a /second/ one, thinking I would give the unit they repaired away to relatives.

Xbox 360 2 stopped playing any kind of disks. It was one month and a half old. The refurbished unit had arrived at this time, so I /returned/ the second 360 and got a replacement from Best Buy.

This third one just died on Friday. Just before I turned it on, I remarked to my brother /jokingly/ that I always turn on any given 360 with trepidation and fear that it will die. Bam. The third one only reads music CDs.

Meanwhile the refurbished unit I got back from Microsoft is quieter and continues to chug along.

I'm going to order a box on Monday. This has been a really kooky experience for me overall. Heck, I've sworn off Live Arcade games, themes, and gamer picture packs because of the DRM issues I have due to having had /four/ Xboxes total. (Original. Refurb. Broken Elite 1. Broken Elite 2)

Current tally of hardware issues.

One RROD.
Two 'Open Tray' DVD drive failures.

Hi all, I am in a bit of a pickle.

The day before Christmas my 360 got the system error (2 red rings) death eye. I paid the $100 and shipped it off to Microsoft and they sent another one back to my moms house. She shipped it to me via UPS and it is now lost!!! She insured it and got signature confirmation on it. After hours on the phone one evening, they put a trace claim on it and said I should hear something back in about a week. My mom went into the store just to ask them about it and they said in order for them to refund my money, I have to provide a receipt to prove how much it's worth!!!

So my question is, is that normal company policy? Is there any other way to prove how much it's worth? I bought insurance, why would I insure it for more than it was worth? I don't have the receipt from the original 360 that I bought nearly 2 years ago, and would they accept that anyway because Mircrosoft sent me a refurb, different serial number and what not.

If anyone could offer and advice, kind words, etc. I would be very appreciative

It is normal to ask for a receipt for insurance claims to prove an item's value. The USPS does it and I'm pretty sure FeDex does it too.

As for the serial numbers being different... how would they know that unless they recorded what the serial number was? But I'm guessing they'll use that excuse and if that's the case, tell them that no two systems have the same serial number and that the system was a replacement.

You might just have to go out and buy another one to show them proof or price. Just don't open it. Go see if they'll give you up to whatever you had it insured to.

Then return the 360 once you're done with it.

That's all I can think of.

[quote name='Vinny']It is normal to ask for a receipt for insurance claims to prove an item's value. The USPS does it and I'm pretty sure FeDex does it too.

As for the serial numbers being different... how would they know that unless they recorded what the serial number was? But I'm guessing they'll use that excuse and if that's the case, tell them that no two systems have the same serial number and that the system was a replacement.

You might just have to go out and buy another one to show them proof or price. Just don't open it. Go see if they'll give you up to whatever you had it insured to.

Then return the 360 once you're done with it.

That's all I can think of.[/quote]

If you go to the store and buy one, the purchase date will be after the ship date. Not sure they will care, or if they will notice.

[quote name='Bezerker']My system was confirmed received by MS on the 30th. However when i checked yesterday on the xbox site, my console no longer shows under my registered devices.

Does this mean that my system has been replaced with a new one with a new serial number and is on its way back to me; or is it something else?[/QUOTE]

Long Answer - I had this problem this week. They received my unit on Thursday the 24th and I noticed Saturday the 26th that it was no longer registered on the site. I checked every day till this past Weds and it still wasnt relisted so I gave them a call. They told me that my original serial number was registered to someone else which I knew I had the right number. I asked where my system was and they said if I hadnt heard anything by Feb 8th to call back. Magically the day after though I had a new serial number registered to me on the site and a tracking number from Fedex.

Short Answer - Probably within the week.

Just thought I might post this as help to anyone. My Xbox 360 RRoD'd on me last week, I am getting a new one shipped to my local GS which I will get midweek .. but until then I wanted to be able to play. I tried the towel trick, and it worked for me. I followed the video made by Cheapy D on youtube, and the exact steps work. It adds 3-4 days of playing time before you would have to repeat the process. Anyone waiting for there coffin to arrive, this might add you a couple more days of gaming. The link to the video is below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avWs4-wD15w

well. my 4th 360 just rrod on me. its been acting up for a month or so now, finally gave up on me today. im pissed, ive bought a lot of xbla content on this 360 and now i cant play any of it offline. bitchin.

Anybody got a feel how often or what time of day they may change the status in their system? Or does it happen throughout the day? I feel retarded calling 3 times a day to get the auto update.

so has anyone claimed to get the RRoD when it doesnt really have RRoD?
will they still service it for free, or do they really check to see if its RR-ing?

All i have is BS disc read errors, no read ring yet...

[quote name='seen']WTF, you must be the only person on this expedited plan. After hours of dealing with rude and partial support I was only offered a game, while I really just wanted to get it faster.

In the end I went the route of a new one, as it is BS, that we get yanked around when the cheap piece of hardware doesn't work.[/quote]

lol sorry, if you read my post here, you'll see what I went through,

second red ring on friday.

the CSR was adamant that I must have plugged it into a surge protector to illicit that error. When he saw that I actually have the pay warranty, things went smooth like butter.

I still have my receipt, if you want I can scan it and then you can print it out and give it to them. That way the bought date would be before the ship date and they should accept a copy.

Edit: Oh wait, was your console an Elite? Probably doesn't matter, as they would just give you how much it was insured for, not the whole amount of how much you "paid."

you know i'm in a similar situation except it's not a 360 that's missing. Recently I filed a $100 lost claim at the post office since they lost my gift card. And yes they did ask me for proof of how much it was worth because, even though you won't lie about the value other people can make up some irrational amount.

About your situation, Yukine's idea may just work. I dont think it matters as to how much you paid, as long as you didn't insure it for $449.99 + shipping costs. Probably doesn't matter which xbox system you bought as long as it wasn't insured for full price. If you're claim is less I don't see why UPS wouldn't want to refund you for if it's going to cost them less.

R.I.P. Replacement 360 #1. (Feb. 1st 2:42pm - Feb. 1st. 2:44pm)

Was able to unpack it then tried to sign into Live before it froze up then RRoD on me. Should be getting another coffin in the mail this week.
Well, that was a waste of 23 days.

[quote name='Undertaker4eber']Long Answer - I had this problem this week. They received my unit on Thursday the 24th and I noticed Saturday the 26th that it was no longer registered on the site. I checked every day till this past Weds and it still wasnt relisted so I gave them a call. They told me that my original serial number was registered to someone else which I knew I had the right number. I asked where my system was and they said if I hadnt heard anything by Feb 8th to call back. Magically the day after though I had a new serial number registered to me on the site and a tracking number from Fedex.

Short Answer - Probably within the week.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I asked on the another VG forum and one guy said it happened to him and just to wait. Hopefully this week or next i'll have a nice working 360; maybe they'll even give me one with an HDMI.

[quote name='Bezerker']Thanks for the response. I asked on the another VG forum and one guy said it happened to him and just to wait. Hopefully this week or next i'll have a nice working 360; maybe they'll even give me one with an HDMI.[/QUOTE]

No problem. I just thought it was weird that they had already registered my broke system to someone else before giving me a replacement unit. Who knows if I hadnt called how long it would have taken them to get me a different system.

That sucks OP, I'm sure you'll either get your 360 or they will compensate you for the value of your lost item (however it is that you prove it).

Good luck, condolences and keep us posted as to what happens?

They won't accept that a 360 is worth MSRP? Or are you going for more than current MSRP because you bought it before the latest price drops or something?

I'd respond with something like:

"An Xbox 360 [Premium/Arcade/Elite/etc] version was in the box. This is a commodity and retails for $XXX in all stores. Therefore the value of my package is the same, $XXX."

[quote name='wubb']They won't accept that a 360 is worth MSRP? Or are you going for more than current MSRP because you bought it before the latest price drops or something?

I'd respond with something like:

"An Xbox 360 [Premium/Arcade/Elite/etc] version was in the box. This is a commodity and retails for $XXX in all stores. Therefore the value of my package is the same, $XXX."[/quote]

It won't matter how much it retailed for, it depends on the age of the system

[quote name='MrDubbs']It won't matter how much it retailed for, it depends on the age of the system[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks.

I suppose I would have to agree that a non-new 360 isn't technically worth the same as a brand new unit but I'd still expect UPS to allow me to insure it to the replacement cost. Learned something.

1. Just have someone post a scan of a receipt. It's the easiest way.

2. Serial number doesn't matter. Unless they can magically find your package, they cannot prove you differently.

3. Just try to get a replacement for your insured amount. Don't get greedy and try to get an elite when you had a core... or whatever.

4. For the future, start saving receipts. Every receipt. It will be an important thing to do later in life so you might as well start now.

As far as scanning the receipt, won't the location matter.

I mean for example if the OP is in NY, and the receipt comes from CA... I mean i know it's possible to travel, but won't they look into that?

or they could call MS, before shelling out xxx to the OP, and verify too,

[quote name='vashknives114']R.I.P. Replacement 360 #1. (Feb. 1st 2:42pm - Feb. 1st. 2:44pm)

Was able to unpack it then tried to sign into Live before it froze up then RRoD on me. Should be getting another coffin in the mail this week.
Well, that was a waste of 23 days.[/QUOTE]

if you still have your first coffin you can have the mailing label sent to you within a day

[quote name='jlarlee']if you still have your first coffin you can have the mailing label sent to you within a day[/QUOTE]
Ah hell. The agent I spoke with didn't mention that at all. She just said I'd have to go through the whole process of them sending me a box and then shipping it back with the refurbished system inside.

Thanks, though. If #2 craps out I'll bring that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back