Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have an issue where their Xbox 360 won't boot up properly when the HD is hooked up?

My 360 works fine once it boots up, but I have to repeatedly turn it on and off manually to get it to fire up when the HD is connected. When I pull the HD out, then it will turn on normally via remote control or manually on the first try.

I already ordered a coffin, but I'm wondering if the problem is with my HD or with my console.

[quote name='Danil ACE']You probably got the system you sent in back.[/quote]

How would that explain the games that I bought on my original 360 that wouldn't work offline after I got my first repair system?

[quote name='fieldkillah']How would that explain the games that I bought on my original 360 that wouldn't work offline after I got my first repair system?[/quote]
Ah, I guess I didn't read everything. I've heard of MS authorizing refurb systems with your content if you complained enough...never heard of them doing it automatically like they did for you.

[quote name='Sockey']I'm pretty fucking pissed.

I got my xBox back around two weeks ago. A few days ago my brother wanted to play shivering isles which I had downloaded on my old xBox. Since I got a new xbox (and shivering isles is linked to my old one) it wouldn't work on his profile. I knew this would be a problem but had delayed calling them. That day, after several hours of talking to hard to understand customer representatives, being put on hold, and having to call back later, one of the higher ups told me they would evaluate my account so they could reimburse all the MS points I had spent (and I could redownload the content on a new silver account). The Customer Service Rep told me they would call back within a week.

Today I got a call but wasnt home. MS left a voice mail telling me to call back. When I got home I called them. After getting past the automated messages and the lower representatives I got to a man who told me I wouldn't be needing the points. Instead he walked me through this process:
-Clear the cache
-Delete my gamertag (but not the items linked to it)
-Turn off Xbox
-Take out hard drive and leave it removed for 1 minute
-Turn on Xbox
-Recover gamertag
*While it was recovering (a lengthy process) he told me the rest of the instructions and hung up*
-Go to account management and redownload downloaded content from here.

I did all this and it didn't work. I even redid it and deleted the downloaded content before beginning the process. This didn't work either.

Now I am going to have to call MS back yet again. All I want is the fucking MS points so I can redownload everyting.

I am surprised there aren't more people angry at MS for this. I can't imagine your average Joe taking the time to go through this lengthy process so the rest of their family can play XBLA games and downloadable content.

Sorry for the long rant, I am just pissed about how long this is taking. But I have spent well over $150.00 on downloadable content and I don't intend to give it up.[/QUOTE]

My quoted post is from October 24th. Since then I have called Microsoft around 10 times. They always told me they were working on it. I finally got a call today. After spending 1 hour with the CSR I had my DL content back. Good job Microsoft. It only took you four months to give me access to what I paid for.

If anyone would like more details ask and I will post them later.

ya would love more info as I am awaiting my first coffin I'm new to this whole process and the idea that getting access to my xbla games could become a hassle (especially when i move and won't have internet access right away) is really bugging me.

Alright, in this post I will chronicle my ordeal with Microsoft.

Sometime in September my 360 got the RROD and I sent it in. I don't have the date written down, but it is not important. On October 5th I got my 360 back. The turnaround time wasn't bad and I was fairly pleased. This was the second time I had needed to send my 360 in so I was familiar with the process and knew that I would be unable to access my DL content (The first time I only had 1 or 2 things downloaded so I had never bothered to call MS).

On my second 360 I had downloaded a plethora of downloadable content and arcade games. On top of that my brother frequently used the content on his profile (especially shivering isles). I put off calling MS about this for awhile because I knew getting my content back would be difficult. If only I had known what I was in for.

On October 21st I called Microsoft about the issue. The call was a long and difficult as I had expected. I had to struggle to explain my situation to the Indian CSR and was put on hold and transferred multiple times. Finally, I was told that MS would analyze my account and get back to me within a week.

After two weeks, I called back and was told they were still working on it. I continued calling each week and kept getting the same answer. Finally, I came home to a message on my answering machine which stated that the problem had been resolved and that I should call MS. Once I got through to a person I had to explain my problem yet again. I finally got transfered to somebody who made me go through a long drawn out process of clearing my cache, deleting my gamertag, and recovering it (if you would like more details check my previous post). My 360 had an estimated time of 1 hour for recoveing my GT and the CSR assured me that it would fix my problem so we ended the call. Sadly, it didn't fix anything.

I called back and explained my problem yet again. I was told that MS would work on my problem and that I would get a call when everything was resolved. Every few weeks I called and every time I was told "Microsoft's best employees are working to resolve your issue." After awhile I gave up, I figured that I would never see my DL content again (offline or on another GT at least).

Today (February 17th), I found a message on my answering machine stating that my problem had been resolved. I called MS yet again and re explained my problem to another CSR yet again. Finally, she told me to go to my Download history and redownload my full versions. I had been told to try this several times and it never worked so I wasn't expecting anything. Much to my surprise it worked great. The CSR did'nt know anything about had what had been done so the rest is speculation.

I think in the 4 months since I called Microsoft Employees analyzed my account and made some mark on the items I had paid money for allowing me to redownload them. A while back, but after I received my new 360, I was over at a friend and downloaded Arkadian Warriors on his 360 (with my HD in). Since I downloaded it on his Xbox I can only play it online on my 360. When I try to redownload it the same way I did with my other content nothing changes. I think when MS was marking certain content in my download history they only marked items before a certain date. Because of this Arkadian Warriors wasn't marked and can't be fixed (not a big deal and I am certainly NOT calling MS about it). I hope that made sense.

And that is my story. Of all the examples of shoddy customer service this is the worst. I had to wait 4 months to be given access to data I had already paid for. I wonder why more people aren't infuriated by this. There is no way the average 360 owner would bother to go through this process. If my 360 gets the RROD again I don't think I will be willing to do so.

Let this be a warning of what is in store for those wishing to regain their downloaded content after a RROD.

You know I have gone through 3 systems in 6 months. (refurbs from microcenter)

The last two I had no problem re-downloading my purchased Live Arcade games. I haven't downloaded any movies/tv shows (with the exception of Jericho HD for free last night). Why hasn't this affected me already is beyond me.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You know I have gone through 3 systems in 6 months. (refurbs from microcenter)

The last two I had no problem re-downloading my purchased Live Arcade games. I haven't downloaded any movies/tv shows (with the exception of Jericho HD for free last night). Why hasn't this affected me already is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Try playing those arcade games offline.

[quote name='mang9432']when i took my coffin to UPS yesterday the ups guy said, "is that an xbox?.... we get about 10 of these a day"

thats pretty crazy[/QUOTE]

UPS should not be making comments like that. It's none of their business except to put it on the truck/plane and get it to Texas.

[quote name='ITDEFX']UPS should not be making comments like that. It's none of their business except to put it on the truck/plane and get it to Texas.[/quote]

thats abit harsh. I think most people would comment on the number of xboxs that were being shipped out to be fixed. If anything I would appreciate getting that comment. Its not UPS's fault that MS poorly designed their system.

Yeah. My UPS shipping center was sympathetic about the whole thing.

Anyway, I tried the online method this time, as I couldn't find someone on the phone who could UNDERSTAND my News-Reporter Accent. ((Yes. I actually talk like that. I get made fun of for it.))

No sign of my box, however I only filled out the Online request on Tuesday last week. The warranty information displayed on Xbox.com also seems to be incorrect. This is for an Elite that I got on 12 / 7/ 07, and the webpage shows a Warranty end date of 12/29/2009? Is the system confused with my refurbished return? Which, by the way, I could never get to show up as registered.

anyone have experience with getting limited time free dlc while your xbox was broken? I missed the Gh3 free aerosmith song due to my rrod and curious (though i doubt) MS would help me out getting it.

[quote name='homeland']thats abit harsh. I think most people would comment on the number of xboxs that were being shipped out to be fixed. If anything I would appreciate getting that comment. Its not UPS's fault that MS poorly designed their system.[/QUOTE]

Well one of my co-workers sent in his 360 last week and he told me that the UPS guy was so annoyed that he was getting another 360 to be shipped out. So what?!?!? MS paid UPS to get it shipped so why do they need to complain or comment on it. It's not that heavy. My friend's main concern is if his 360 will be jacked by UPS as I heard a few 360 are jacked once and awhile.

I got my system back today. The turn around was very quick too, considering I'm in PR.

I took it to a UPS store on Feb. 11 (Sunday) and it arrived at Texas on Wednesday. They shipped it back Friday and got it today.

They repaired the one I sent and added the cooling duct. At least I don't have problems with playing DLC offline... for now. :pray:

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well one of my co-workers sent in his 360 last week and he told me that the UPS guy was so annoyed that he was getting another 360 to be shipped out. So what?!?!? MS paid UPS to get it shipped so why do they need to complain or comment on it. It's not that heavy. My friend's main concern is if his 360 will be jacked by UPS as I heard a few 360 are jacked once and awhile.[/QUOTE]

yeah, my concern with the comment was mostly that if every UPS guy in the country knows exactly what the xbox 360 coffins look like, i wouldn't be surprised if a few "fell off the truck" once in a while

[quote name='joseraul']I took it to a UPS store on Feb. 11 (Sunday) and it arrived at Texas on Wednesday. They shipped it back Friday and got it today.[/quote]

OK, I am going to start getting a little worried. UPS tracking shows it was delivered on 2/8 (10 days ago), and they repair status still shows that they are waiting for my device at the service center. :cry:

[quote name='AK85']OK, I am going to start getting a little worried. UPS tracking shows it was delivered on 2/8 (10 days ago), and they repair status still shows that they are waiting for my device at the service center. :cry:[/quote]

When I shipped mine in several months ago the same thing happened. Basically I knew it was delivered but the online system didn't update for a few days. It then went to some generic marking that didn't really tell me anything other than that they were probably looking it over. Of course, two days later I get my fixed box (actually another box) in the mail without the page updating at all.

So...sometimes the page isn't all that accurate. If it still shows that, though, you may want to inquire about what's going on.

I'll echo what Kapwanil says. In my 360's most recent visit to Texas, the status wasn't updated online until they shipped the new one out to me.

My 360 has been acting up lately (mainly on DVD's) so I called Microsoft and they told me from what I was describing it sounded like a hardware failure and that I needed to send it in luckily it was still under warranty so the are sending me a pre paid box to ship it to them. Will i get the same system back or will they just send me a refurbished 360?

Finally got the E74 Error code accompanied by the One Red Ring of Death on my replacement Xbox 360. Sent it back in the coffin today via UPS. Hoping for a better draw on Xbox 360 #3.

As long as I get the replacement back sometime next week, I'm OK with it. Gives me more chance to finally play the PS3 that I've only been using as a Blu-Ray player.

Sent my 360 off to Microsoft yesterday.

The incredibly /cute/ but half my age UPS employee smiled and sympathetically said, 'Broken 360, huh?'

If I didn't have a younger brother constantly /hounding/ me to play 360 games with him online, I honestly would just sell all my 360 games and play through my PS2 backlog.

I called for my second coffin today , my DVD ROM drive is not gripping the discs tight enough causing squaking noises and DRE's .
My old 360 never had drive trouble .
Now I have to call to have my content licensed to my next new console .

[quote name='Dragon_Master']My 360 has been acting up lately (mainly on DVD's) so I called Microsoft and they told me from what I was describing it sounded like a hardware failure and that I needed to send it in luckily it was still under warranty so the are sending me a pre paid box to ship it to them. Will i get the same system back or will they just send me a refurbished 360?[/QUOTE]

I would estimate you have an 80% chance of getting a refurbished one back. Totally pulled those numbers out of nowhere but what I see on here.

[quote name='scottman']I would estimate you have an 80% chance of getting a refurbished one back. Totally pulled those numbers out of nowhere but what I see on here.[/quote]

k thanks is there a chance I will geta newer version 360 or will I get the same type? Also on a funny side note when I was calling in my 360 I looked at the manufacturing date on the back and it was July 27 the same day as my birthday.

Wow did I just call customer support or make a long distance call to India. Anyway, My 360 just red ringed. How long does the process take? Do you get back a brand new one?

[quote name='scuba t']Wow did I just call customer support or make a long distance call to India. Anyway, My 360 just red ringed. How long does the process take? Do you get back a brand new one?[/QUOTE]

have you read any of this thread? look 2 posts ago where someone asked the same question.

edit question please answer this i just got a e-mail from microsoft saying they have recived my request for repair however they have not recived my console yet and if they dont in 30 days from the oroginal repair request date it will be cancled what will happen if if gets there after the 30 days it has not been recived by them because of ups because i checked the tracking number and it said it wont be shipped out till the 26th.so should i call microsoft and go down to ups and see whats up or just wait and hope it gets there on time.

my second 360 just RROD on me two hours ago.

this sucks. I wish the PS3 would announce some awesome feature/game/price and make me forget about the 360.

[quote name='mick16']Has anybody received a HDMI Xbox 360 as a replacement for a non HDMI version that was sent in?[/QUOTE]

It won't happen... you send in a non-hdmi version and you get a non-hdmi version back.
Now the bigger question remains, if you get your original one fixed or someone else's?

[quote name='mick16']Has anybody received a HDMI Xbox 360 as a replacement for a non HDMI version that was sent in?[/quote]
You'll never get an HDMI system back if you sent in a non-HDMI (unless MS completely messes up with your order). For when the Xenons run out, MS is rolling out a new "Opus" motherboard that will appear in refurbished systems only (not in retail) that doesn't have HDMI, but does have the 65nm cpu.

[quote name='ITDEFX']It won't happen... you send in a non-hdmi version and you get a non-hdmi version back.
Now the bigger question remains, if you get your original one fixed or someone else's?[/QUOTE]

I think most people don't get their own box back. i certainly didn't.

I have called twice now, and both times they have told me that there is normally a delay between when they receive my console and when they update the support website (it was 2 weeks last friday). She said that it will update tomorrow, so I guess I will be calling again tomorrow when it hasn't updated and won't take the delay response anymore.

[quote name='Milkyman']I think most people don't get their own box back. i certainly didn't.[/QUOTE]

I definitely didn't get my own box back the first time, so I'm not expecting it back this time either.

I didn't get the three rings of death when it died this time (got the E-74 error code), so I'm glad I had the extended warranty. I'm just hoping that whatever refurb they send me this time will either be a "good" unit or it dies prior to my extended warranty expiring in Dec-2008.

yeah, I'm waiting for my coffin box to come. Been about a week now. It isn't bad though, I will just use my secondary xbox 360 (which I also need to send back since it is a launch console, manufactured on 1/12/06). I'm just worried that they say its broke and can't repair it and will send me a white one (I have the H3 LE Xbox 360 and it's been freezing so I hope they replace my Hitachi-LG 79FL drive with a better drive).

I got mine back about 2 weeks ago. I shipped it without the faceplate and the gray top, and it came back with both. Same console too. They definitely replaced the drive and added new fans. The 360 runs a lot quieter and you can't hear "raw" beeping noises coming from the drive or 360 whenever it plays a game. I'm happy. :)

Well, my system is officially done.

Been RRoD on and off for the last 3 weeks. Knew it was coming. Better to get it fixed now then when the good games start coming out this year.
Third RRoD for my system, hopefully they send me a different one. Damn.

Anyone know why I can't register my damn xbox on the Microsoft site to request a coffin? Says there's an error and I need to contact customer support.

i couldn't register my box either and now that I've shipped it I don't have the serial number=o was planning on giving them a call just so I can get an update on the repairs. Though i have time I dropped off my box to UPS on last friday and its just in ILL now (mailed from R.I).

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Well, my system is officially done.

Been RRoD on and off for the last 3 weeks. Knew it was coming. Better to get it fixed now then when the good games start coming out this year.
Third RRoD for my system, hopefully they send me a different one. Damn.

Anyone know why I can't register my damn xbox on the Microsoft site to request a coffin? Says there's an error and I need to contact customer support.[/QUOTE]

i think there online registration(?) serveice is flawed because i tried it and it gave me an error to so just call them and deal with the accent.

edit: also at ak85 there was delay with my xbox from illinois to texas it took alot longer than i expected but it got to texas on time. so dont worry about it im sure its just normal now that these get delayed.

add me to the list. I got the E74 error and it went out this Monday. I am sad :(
oh well I hope it doesnt take forever to come back. I had it for about 15 months with no problems
(it was a Amazon Thanksgiving Core Deal system)

I didn't feel this needed its own topic in the 360 forum.

I decided to post this before I go out to lunch.

This came out yesterday, but it's an update to an article from the middle of the month. I don't think it's a dupe post.

IGN Article on XBOX 360 Failure Rates

I kind of skimmed it to see any mention if the units in question were Falcons or not, but I found nothing.

I have owned two XBOX 360s. One a Premium / Pro, the other an Elite. I have never had a failure with either system, but I switched my Pro out for a Falcon Elite last year.

On the other hand, my nephew is on his 5th. Six weeks have passed, and he does not have a coffin yet.

Forgive me for not reading through the thread again, but it's been a week since MS received my system. When should I expect an e-mail or update on the service/support page of Xbox.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back