2. Collector's Edition Games - January to March
  3. Collector's Edition Games - April to June
  4. Collector's Edition Games - July to September
  5. Collector's Edition Games - October to December
  6. Collector Edition Games - TBA to 2022
  7. Extra Space

Deals: (Updated 12/14/20)

FAQ: 
  • What is this thread? A massive collection of limited edition games & other attributing items, included with links. 
  • Why put it all in one thread? More traffic due to collaborating interests.
  • Why is that important? This keeps the thread popular and doesn't risk a failed CE from falling through the cracks unnoticed. 
  • What can be discussed here? Anything relevant to what is posted.
  • Why make another CE compilation? Karma. 
  • Where are the big pictures? Still here, scroll down. Due to the increased number of CEs, a preface post is needed. 
  • When is the Final Fantasy XVI CE? Not announced. Granted, IF it does, you can bet I will devote an entire page to it. 
  • What about other CEs that have been announced? Give me a minute. It takes a bit of time to format the title, price, date, & retailer links in correctly.
  • What about the Book/Steelbook/Console/Misc. Picture Posts? I condensed the thread. Not necessary to include pictures for all those items. They will still be included in the Everything List post. 

Graveyard: 
Old Official Collector's Edition Compilations

XI - 2020

X - 2019

IX - 2018

VIII - 2017 & 2018

VII - 2017

VI - 2016 & 2017

V - 2016

IV - 2015 & 2016

III - 2014 & 2015

II - 2013 & 2014

I - 2011, 2012, & 2013

Legend: 
  • (OOS) = Out of Stock
  • CE = Collector's Edition Game
  • LE = Limited Edition
  • BK = Strategy Guide, Art Book, and/or Lore Book
  • SB = Steelbook
  • CC = Console and/or Controller
  • MC = Miscellaneous
  • Anything linked means it exists. If not it hasn't been announced yet.

Major Retailers: 
Patch Notes: (Updated 12/18/20)
12/18/20 - Version 1.2

• Added:
  • [CE] Fallen Legion: Revenants: [NISA]
  • [LE] Theme Park Simulator: [Amazon UK]
  • Deals:
  • Fixed:
  • Updated:
12/17/20 - Version 1.1

• Added:
  • [CE] Bloodlines 2: [Paradox]
  • [CE] Terminator: Resistance[TBA]
  • [CE] Ys Ix: Monstrum Nox: [NISA]
  • Deals:
  • Fixed:
  • Updated: 
12/14/20 - Version 1.0

• Added:
  • Official Collector's Edition Compilation XII - 2021
  • Deals:
  • Fixed:
  • Updated: 
  •  

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices went way up due to COVID. People are home and starting collections now. They bought out stagnant stock and others priced high after seeing how quickly items were selling. Going to be a while before prices settle down as right now they continue to raise.

In addition to Covid increasing prices don't forget the "Sequel bump" that a lot of games, especially Nintendo, have been getting lately.

A new game in the series/style is announced, all other games in that series/style go up - case in point Hyrule Warriors DE was usually about $35.  But then Nintendo announced Age of Calamity, and even though the games were relatively unrelated, the price jumped up to $60+ for several months and has since stayed at around $45.

With Metroid Dread being announced a TON of people are starting to look to fill any holes they have in their Metroid Collection, or new players want to play all of the series.  Be it Zero Mission (Currently at $90), or Fusion (Just beat the rush on that and got it for $45 not too long ago, currently loose is at  $75), or any of the others.  These prices have jumped over the last month or so, coinciding with Nintendo's E3 Direct.

One odd price explosion was Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Pyra & Mythra being announced for Smash.  A game that  had been sitting around the $30 (Regular) and $60 (Collector's) range EXPLODED and is currently at $80 (Regular) and $200 (Collector's).  The Physical copies of the expansion, Torna, doubled in price (From $65 to $130) .  All these spikes occurred at the exact same time, right after the February 17th Nintendo Direct.

So it might not even be a "sequel bump" but rather a "Daddy Nintendo noticed me" bump.

Essentially, if you have a game you have been meaning to pick up and it gets a sequel/spinoff mentioned in a Direct...buy a copy ASAP

I noticed the price jumps. I was going through my old Nintendo DS and 3DS collection and I barely used both so I have so many sealed games and I was looking up the prices on them on ebay and they were through the roof. I'm keeping them though. Like for example I got Suikoden Tierkreis just a few years ago for like $20 on Amazon brand new and it's going for like $120 sealed on ebay now.

And random PS2 games that were in stock on Amazon as recently as a few years have gone through the roof.

This is the best time ever to sell any retro stuff you may have, might as well get the most out of those long term investments.
That's fair, but where you going to find a CIB Chrono Trigger + official Nintendo Power Strategy guide in 10 years? The prices for these games are only going up. I only collected what I played, so there isn't a lot of junk. Though sometimes I come by games and am like, "WTF. I own Ogre Tactics 64?!" lol

One odd price explosion was Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Pyra & Mythra being announced for Smash. A game that had been sitting around the $30 (Regular) and $60 (Collector's) range EXPLODED and is currently at $80 (Regular) and $200 (Collector's). The Physical copies of the expansion, Torna, doubled in price (From $65 to $130) . All these spikes occurred at the exact same time, right after the February 17th Nintendo Direct.
Great point. It's wild, too. I have Xeno2 and had no idea regarding price.

The video game market is also kinda like athletes getting/waiting for their payday. Some players wait out on signing a new contract until a comparable player signs theirs, as it sets the "market." Once people start shelling out $150 for a game it sets the market.

Video game collecting has also become more main stream in recent years. Not to mention the people who would shell out this sort of $$$ are also coming of age where they can afford to do so. I can also see prices scaling back, but not that much in the near term. I believe demand will only increase because ... where you gonna find this stuff? lol.

That's fair, but where you going to find a CIB Chrono Trigger + official Nintendo Power Strategy guide in 10 years? The prices for these games are only going up. I only collected what I played, so there isn't a lot of junk. Though sometimes I come by games and am like, "WTF. I own Ogre Tactics 64?!" lol
If forgers can reproduce hand painted artwork that can fool experts and most methods of dating, I’m sure they could do so for a cardboard box that no one is going to bother checking. There is already a big problem with fake Pokémon carts, and many others. These crappy reproductions everyone knows about, but part of me thinks there is also a more coordinated effort to both drive up the price and trickle out releases of higher quality CIB reproductions that don’t get caught. When WATA grades a sealed CIB game, they have no way to check anything inside, right? That is perfect for fraud, and other than holding it as an investment, who gives a crap about owning a sealed game, it’s not gamers buying the biggest ticket items for hundreds of thousands, it’s investment firms. If there ever is a news article about someone’s $100,000 sealed Mario game turning out to be fake, watch prices plummet. It’s happened before with sports cards. It doesn’t even have to be true really, just the story and perception spreading is all that would be needed to pull the rug. The market becoming flooded with high quality reproductions that no can tell the difference, that would do it too. Even an official re-release of the classic version of a game like chrono trigger on modern consoles, in a package with a strategy guide and a reproduction box, something like they did for fire emblem, that could make prices for the original drop.

I mean Boxes and Instructions are already a huge thing where people are buying or creating their own instructions and box with a legit cart to auction off.

This is where things get reeeeeeaaaally sketchy because a repro/bootleg cart has means to identify whether or not it's original. But box art and instructions? How in the world can you verify it's authentic? Especially since alot of sellers buy those loose online to compliment their original cartridge and could unintenionally be selling copies. I mean you spot a poor copy off the bat but I've seen SNES and Genesis repro boxes that are  seemingly 100% perfect copies with only the SNES boxes feeling a bit off but that could just be it using different materials or time not having caught up with the cardboard.

I bought a Double Dragon II on NES from ebay earlier this year and box and instruction manual look 'new' and 'fresh' but it's Double Dragon II, is this something people are gonna bother replicating or did the previous owner take great care of it for the past 30 years?

Those Zelda joy cons are still available bon amazon Japan. I should probably cancel and try my luck on launch for the US version at MSRP.

I mean Boxes and Instructions are already a huge thing where people are buying or creating their own instructions and box with a legit cart to auction off.

This is where things get reeeeeeaaaally sketchy because a repro/bootleg cart has means to identify whether or not it's original. But box art and instructions? How in the world can you verify it's authentic? Especially since alot of sellers buy those loose online to compliment their original cartridge and could unintenionally be selling copies. I mean you spot a poor copy off the bat but I've seen SNES and Genesis repro boxes that are seemingly 100% perfect copies with only the SNES boxes feeling a bit off but that could just be it using different materials or time not having caught up with the cardboard.

I bought a Double Dragon II on NES from ebay earlier this year and box and instruction manual look 'new' and 'fresh' but it's Double Dragon II, is this something people are gonna bother replicating or did the previous owner take great care of it for the past 30 years?
Yeah the reproduction game has gotten crazy good... there are some people who are honest and mark reproduction boxes, manuals, etc. accordingly but a lot of sellers on eBay now don't. If you look, you can still tell what's an original vs what's a reproduction but with some games- there's always some sketchy authentic items anyway so those are probably much easier to knock off without raising suspicion. Off the top of my head, Mega Man & Bass on the GBA and Mega Man 6 (both versions) on the GBA, all have cheap brown paper cardboard boxes that, when I bought back in the day, made me think they were used.

In addition to Covid increasing prices don't forget the "Sequel bump" that a lot of games, especially Nintendo, have been getting lately.

A new game in the series/style is announced, all other games in that series/style go up - case in point Hyrule Warriors DE was usually about $35. But then Nintendo announced Age of Calamity, and even though the games were relatively unrelated, the price jumped up to $60+ for several months and has since stayed at around $45.

With Metroid Dread being announced a TON of people are starting to look to fill any holes they have in their Metroid Collection, or new players want to play all of the series. Be it Zero Mission (Currently at $90), or Fusion (Just beat the rush on that and got it for $45 not too long ago, currently loose is at $75), or any of the others. These prices have jumped over the last month or so, coinciding with Nintendo's E3 Direct.

One odd price explosion was Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Pyra & Mythra being announced for Smash. A game that had been sitting around the $30 (Regular) and $60 (Collector's) range EXPLODED and is currently at $80 (Regular) and $200 (Collector's). The Physical copies of the expansion, Torna, doubled in price (From $65 to $130) . All these spikes occurred at the exact same time, right after the February 17th Nintendo Direct.

So it might not even be a "sequel bump" but rather a "Daddy Nintendo noticed me" bump.

Essentially, if you have a game you have been meaning to pick up and it gets a sequel/spinoff mentioned in a Direct...buy a copy ASAP
Torna clearanced out everywhere for $20-$25. I got my copy for $20 at Target. Even though I still haven't touched it, I wish I would have gotten the XC 2 CE when I could of.

If forgers can reproduce hand painted artwork that can fool experts and most methods of dating, I’m sure they could do so for a cardboard box that no one is going to bother checking. There is already a big problem with fake Pokémon carts, and many others. These crappy reproductions everyone knows about, but part of me thinks there is also a more coordinated effort to both drive up the price and trickle out releases of higher quality CIB reproductions that don’t get caught. When WATA grades a sealed CIB game, they have no way to check anything inside, right? That is perfect for fraud, and other than holding it as an investment, who gives a crap about owning a sealed game, it’s not gamers buying the biggest ticket items for hundreds of thousands, it’s investment firms. If there ever is a news article about someone’s $100,000 sealed Mario game turning out to be fake, watch prices plummet. It’s happened before with sports cards. It doesn’t even have to be true really, just the story and perception spreading is all that would be needed to pull the rug. The market becoming flooded with high quality reproductions that no can tell the difference, that would do it too. Even an official re-release of the classic version of a game like chrono trigger on modern consoles, in a package with a strategy guide and a reproduction box, something like they did for fire emblem, that could make prices for the original drop.
Lol, let me know if you are able to find someone who can reproduce an H-seam... people have been resealing games for over a decade by now, yet no one has figured out how to reproduce an H-seam? C'mon, it just ain't gonna happen.

This is where things get reeeeeeaaaally sketchy because a repro/bootleg cart has means to identify whether or not it's original. But box art and instructions? How in the world can you verify it's authentic? Especially since alot of sellers buy those loose online to compliment their original cartridge and could unintenionally be selling copies. I mean you spot a poor copy off the bat but I've seen SNES and Genesis repro boxes that are seemingly 100% perfect copies with only the SNES boxes feeling a bit off but that could just be it using different materials or time not having caught up with the cardboard.

It may be difficult to tell in photos, especially if all of their listing photos crappy quality, but it's pretty easy to tell once it's in your hand. For one, a reproducer will rarely take the time to make a manual, even if they do the quality would be junk. You should also be able to tell fake boxes in the listings, as they'll typically be off-center, etc.

I would call BS. Those games are worth over $50k in sealed condition, each. Chrono Trigger would probably sell for around $100k now.
I personally know a few people who have sealed SNES Chrono Triggers and I have definitely seen other people on some of the forums and groups I am part of with sealed FFIIIs. Those games are very valuable, but they aren't in the $50K-$100K range yet.

I personally know a few people who have sealed SNES Chrono Triggers and I have definitely seen other people on some of the forums and groups I am part of with sealed FFIIIs. Those games are very valuable, but they aren't in the $50K-$100K range yet.
Chrono Trigger has already sold for $48k back in Nov., so it would definitely go for over $50k now: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/chrono-trigger-wata-96-a-sealed-snes-squaresoft-1995-usa/a/7236-93042.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I actually misremembered and thought it went for more, but anyways I wouldn't doubt it would go for like $75k now.

I haven't ordered an amiibo from Amazon in a while. Do they ship in boxes always? Or has anyone gotten them stuffed in a bubble envelope?

I have two of the Skyward Sword ones pre-ordered, but Gamestop charged shipping, so I want to cancel if Amazon ships in a box.

Sequel to AI: The Somnium Files announced, "nirvanA Initiative".

CE announced as well (FYI GoodsmileClub's Pop-up Parade line is VERY good. This will be a VERY well done figure whatever the character happens to look like)

[attachment=35740:E5K1_w_UUAUZCDk.jpg]

Wario64 has confirmed on Twitter that the Nirvana Intiative CE will be $120.  That is an INSANELY good price for what we will get.  Pop-up PArade figures alone are usually around $30+ and they are well made. 

You're talking about a WATA 9.6 sold by Heritage. That's not the same as a raw sealed game.
I should also mention that it is very easy to sell your games on Heritage... you will never get a return and will always get paid. Fees are obviously higher than ebay, but well worth it for anything high end as you'll get significantly more on there.

I'm curious about selling on there since I never heard of it. Do you need to sell stuff of a minimum price like it has to start at $1000 or something or can you sell single games like some rare games one by one for a couple hundred?
They won't sell any game that hasn't been graded by WATA (exception being if it's in a factory sealed case, but that would be a poor choice to sell IMO). You have to call/email them to start the process, it would go into an auction so you can't set the price. The fees are 20% buyer's premium + 10% seller's fee, but you can negotiate the seller portion all the way down to zero if you have an item they want badly enough. So factor in 20-30% total fees. So because of the fees it's only worth it for high end items IMO.

The process will generally take a few months as your item will need to get slotted into an auction. If it's high end it will go into a signature auction which happens every 3-4 months, and there's actually one happening next week. You would physically mail them the item prior to the auction and they ship it to the buyer. It's not even possible to know who the buyer is, unless they post a pic on social media or whatever.

It is possible to sell a fixed price item on there, but it would have to be something that previously came from one of their auctions as you would need to "claim" the item first.

Lol, let me know if you are able to find someone who can reproduce an H-seam... people have been resealing games for over a decade by now, yet no one has figured out how to reproduce an H-seam? C'mon, it just ain't gonna happen.
TIL about the H seam, that's a neat factoid. Thanks for the info, cheers

Chrono Trigger has already sold for $48k back in Nov., so it would definitely go for over $50k now: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/chrono-trigger-wata-96-a-sealed-snes-squaresoft-1995-usa/a/7236-93042.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I actually misremembered and thought it went for more, but anyways I wouldn't doubt it would go for like $75k now.
Honestly, that game will be worth more than the current asking price of $72K. Just not tomorrow, but much sooner than we think. It's mostly about whether you can afford to part $72K into something and not need access to the money. It's also why the rich buy valuable art (well, that and they don't have to pay taxes if they "gift" it to someone who then sells it after the art appreciates in value). I remember I bought my Chrono Trigger about 2012 for $110, CIB w/ all inserts + the official Nintendo Power Strategy guide. So, after 10 years it's gone up 10x.

More people are collecting now. And they're not selling. That makes the available inventory for games like Chrono Trigger much smaller/harder to find. Aside, w/ fakes, things will eventually just go the route of every other collectible and get verified by a third-party. So expect verification to become more frequent.

I know what an H-seam is, but that only applies to a small portion of the vintage game market. The part of your comment “people have been resealing games for over a decade by now, yet no one has figured out how to reproduce an H-seam? C'mon” is what I would most agree with. I found plenty of anecdotes with a simple google search. Mostly used game store owners that resealed by hand as a living talking about how they could do it. Some buyers saying they received h-seam sealed games from eBay that turned out to be fake. I’m not opening it, but I actually have one from 15 some years ago exactly in this situation. If someone still had access to a machine that could h-seam, you think they would want to flood the market or advertise that information? Again, if someone can reproduce one of a kind centuries old hand painted artwork and fool life long scholars and experts, I’m sure they could reproduce a plastic wrap seal and cardboard box that could also fool the experts on those.

Here’s a thought, how much of a role has fear of thawing trade relations with China, and then COVID production and shipping concerns had in vintage game prices going up? The supply for fakes and reproduction cardboard boxes on demand drying up?

It’s a fact there are WATA graded fakes out there, you don’t know your WATA grader, their credentials, how many games they graded that day, whether they are fighting off a cold or hangover and just want to punch out for the day. No one is perfect, people can accomplish amazing feats when millions of dollars are on the line, even re-sealing plastic carefully. I remember seeing reports years ago about how 90% of the high end sports card market are likely fakes…those are still on the market, but not much concern about that now either.

Honestly, that game will be worth more than the current asking price of $72K. Just not tomorrow, but much sooner than we think. It's mostly about whether you can afford to part $72K into something and not need access to the money. It's also why the rich buy valuable art (well, that and they don't have to pay taxes if they "gift" it to someone who then sells it after the art appreciates in value). I remember I bought my Chrono Trigger about 2012 for $110, CIB w/ all inserts + the official Nintendo Power Strategy guide. So, after 10 years it's gone up 10x.

More people are collecting now. And they're not selling. That makes the available inventory for games like Chrono Trigger much smaller/harder to find. Aside, w/ fakes, things will eventually just go the route of every other collectible and get verified by a third-party. So expect verification to become more frequent.
Yeah, I have no idea how some people here are so clueless. A mid-production Mario Bros went for $660k in the last auction, I'm sure if a sticker sealed one or an early print Zelda NES went up for auction now it would sell for over a million.

Even garbage common games like Mike Tyson's Punch Out in mediocre grades are around the 100k mark. I would much rather own a high grade Chrono Trigger than a Mike Tyson's Punch Out :rofl:

I know what an H-seam is, but that only applies to a small portion of the vintage game market. The part of your comment “people have been resealing games for over a decade by now, yet no one has figured out how to reproduce an H-seam? C'mon” is what I would most agree with. I found plenty of anecdotes with a simple google search. Mostly used game store owners that resealed by hand as a living talking about how they could do it. Some buyers saying they received h-seam sealed games from eBay that turned out to be fake. I’m not opening it, but I actually have one from 15 some years ago exactly in this situation. If someone still had access to a machine that could h-seam, you think they would want to flood the market or advertise that information? Again, if someone can reproduce one of a kind centuries old hand painted artwork and fool life long scholars and experts, I’m sure they could reproduce a plastic wrap seal and cardboard box that could also fool the experts on those.

Here’s a thought, how much of a role has fear of thawing trade relations with China, and then COVID production and shipping concerns had in vintage game prices going up? The supply for fakes and reproduction cardboard boxes on demand drying up?

It’s a fact there are WATA graded fakes out there, you don’t know your WATA grader, their credentials, how many games they graded that day, whether they are fighting off a cold or hangover and just want to punch out for the day. No one is perfect, people can accomplish amazing feats when millions of dollars are on the line, even re-sealing plastic carefully. I remember seeing reports years ago about how 90% of the high end sports card market are likely fakes…those are still on the market, but not much concern about that now either.
Please send links or images of supposed fake H-seams you have seen. I've seen quite a few of these and am fully confident in my ability to identify resealed Nintendo boxes.

Yea WATA and their "experts" are total shit, bunch of coin collectors jumping into the game market ordaining themselves an "authority" with literally no game experience at all to take a piece of the VGA pie while the market is hot.

I've seen them deny 2 blatantly authentic sealed Sega Genesis games as reseals, then VGA graded them no problem.

Basically, if the seal isn't as simple as humanly possible (h-seams & overlap seams), wata will deny it because they're just dumb inexperienced people.

Not to mention the most egregious of all is how they OVERGRADE literally everything they get. Notice how eBay is flooded with 9.4+ EVERYTHING, you never see gold VGA grades flooding the market in that density because they actually mean something lol.

Basically everything wata touches as a 9.4+ is in reality a 7 or 7.5 or less. It's destroying the market, but I look forward to all the wata values tanking in the near future. Even the dummies have to catch on eventually.

I've seen numerous close up photographs of their 9's, and they're beat up or "average" most of the time. The sad thing is that games people send to them that are genuinely nice go by the wayside since everybody gets a participation 9.4+. That's how they keep the sheep coming back.

Yea WATA and their "experts" are total shit, bunch of coin collectors jumping into the game market ordaining themselves an "authority" with literally no game experience at all to take a piece of the VGA pie while the market is hot.

I've seen them deny 2 blatantly authentic sealed Sega Genesis games as reseals, then VGA graded them no problem.

Basically, if the seal isn't as simple as humanly possible (h-seams & overlap seams), wata will deny it because they're just dumb inexperienced people.

Not to mention the most egregious of all is how they OVERGRADE literally everything they get. Notice how eBay is flooded with 9.4+ EVERYTHING, you never see gold VGA grades flooding the market in that density because they actually mean something lol.

Basically everything wata touches as a 9.4+ is in reality a 7 or 7.5 or less. It's destroying the market, but I look forward to all the wata values tanking in the near future. Even the dummies have to catch on eventually.

I've seen numerous close up photographs of their 9's, and they're beat up or "average" most of the time. The sad thing is that games people send to them that are genuinely nice go by the wayside since everybody gets a participation 9.4+. That's how they keep the sheep coming back.
ehhh just learn to play their game and you can do pretty well. I really don't care who grades my games WATA/VGA/whoever, all that matters is maximizing value. If WATA wants to hand out 9's like they're candy, who am I to stop them? :lol:

btw, VGA has graded their share of fake games as well. Here are a few I've saved: https://imgur.com/a/aocv6HN

I got an email from shopto saying my Skyward Sword and steelbook had a cheaper pre-order price.  The site isn't well laid out, but looks like the game will got $85 shipped instead of $112.  That leaves a $30 credit for a site with $60 shipping.

I got an email from shopto saying my Skyward Sword and steelbook had a cheaper pre-order price. The site isn't well laid out, but looks like the game will got $85 shipped instead of $112. That leaves a $30 credit for a site with $60 shipping.
how did u manage to get it shipped to US? ive been checking on the site every few days to see if they ship to my country.

bread's done
Back