Official Final Fantasy III DS thread

yeah, the opening is spectacular. too bad that's the only place with that kind of video. but then again, too much of that and you have ps2 ffs.

still isn't available at my local Target. I really wanna use my giftcard for this. this one ain't sold-out right? coz the guy I talked to today said it's a popular game that might've been sold-out since he checked the quantity of nearby Target stores and it's 0. pls tell me it's just a delayed shipment...

Yeah, I dropped by my local Target and they didn't have the game either, so I went down the street to Circuit City and picked it up.

So far, I'm really loving it. I'm still at the very beginning and just leveling up my character. I like how you can equip 2 swords from the start :D. And the music kicks ass.

didn't know if you guys noticed in the main deals thread, but FFIV for GBA is $20 this week at Target.

EDIT: corrected, it was for IV, not V.

[quote name='banpeikun']didn't know if you guys noticed in the main deals thread, but FFV for GBA is $20 this week at Target.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Unless I'm blind, I'm not seeing it.

[quote name='banpeikun']didn't know if you guys noticed in the main deals thread, but FFV for GBA is $20 this week at Target.[/QUOTE]

Can you give me a link? I would be all over that.

Really?! Hot damn!! I'm on it!

FYI, just did a review check between FFV and FFIII to see which one has scored higher, and FFV is ahead. But at $20 there's no doubt which I'm getting first now!

For anyone that has both now, which do you prefer? I'm still getting both, but I'm curious what the CAGs opinions are.

It was a typo which the OP of the thread has since corrected. FF IV Advance is on sale for $20. FF V remains $30.

Am I doing something wrong? I picked up Arc, go in the mine and get owned. Done it 3 times now, is this a "grind" game as the kids say?

^ nooo you're not suppose to go in there just yet
go to the inn's bar and talk to "Cid"
he'll leand you his airship..and you'll meet up with the 3rd character "Refia"
she'll be inside the ship waiting...

I got it early and have been playing it a few days now. WOW what a game I am loving it. I was playing Yoshi's Island DS till this came out and now, though I really want to get back to Yoshi, all I am playing on handheld during lunch and what not is this game. Really fun and very good looking.

I got this yesterday and it is very cool, already stuck though

When you get to the part where if you board the ship, and run into a very hard serpant, well, the boss in the cave where you get the red jewel, how am I to go about beating it if were all mini?

you can't sail around in the ship or kraken might come and pwn you, so you have to hoof it to the water temple place. while you're mini, it's easiest to just run away from the random encounters. i can't remember if you have to fight that rat boss while you're mini, but if you do, have everyone change their class to black mage and buy spells for them in town before you go to the dungeon.

for whatever reason, i figured the official ff3 thread would be more popular...i mean 2 pages? anyways...

can anyone recommend which jobs to stick w/ initially?

i'm about 4 hours in and currently have a warrior, thief, white mage, black mage at around level 13. any recommendations?

i personally thought they did a good job rebalancing the different jobs. i beat the game with a knight, huntress, bard, and ninja. (no devout or sage). i didn't think the thief was very good personally, but i had a monk that i didn't think was very good either.

geomancer is really powerful when you get it.

[quote name='banpeikun']i personally thought they did a good job rebalancing the different jobs. i beat the game with a knight, huntress, bard, and ninja. (no devout or sage). i didn't think the thief was very good personally, but i had a monk that i didn't think was very good either.

geomancer is really powerful when you get it.[/quote]

How do you earn jobs?
need help...I'm stuck inside the fire/lava caveat the dwraves island now

[quote name='DARKiLLUSiON']How do you earn jobs?
need help...I'm stuck inside the fire/lava caveat the dwraves island now
[/quote]
you get more jobs to choose from every time you encounter a crystal. in that lava cave, you just have to walk through the lava to advance. other than that it's just like the other dungeons.

[quote name='2Fast']Does FFIII have summons in it, or was IV the first one for that?[/quote]FFIII does have summons, there is a summoner and evoker class that use summon spells exclusively. Sage can also use them. The summons are kind of weird in that they have two different effects, a white magic effect and a black magic effect.

WTF

After I get the airship, talk to the guy in the castle and go to teh mithril mines I get pwned and keep having to start over from the very beginning what am I doin wrong?

The only FF I played was liek the 7th one for ps1 sooo basically I'm complete noob...so where do you save at? sry

[quote name='Mechanix']The only FF I played was liek the 7th one for ps1 sooo basically I'm complete noob...so where do you save at? sry[/QUOTE]

this FF's kinda weird because i'm used to save points/tent areas here and there.

anyway, you can save anywhere when you're out in the world (outside towns, castles, dungeons, etc.)

i have a question -- what happens during the "job adjustment phase"? I can't figure it out. I can lvl up my job and perform everything fine -- is it something in the stats?

[quote name='Mechanix']WTF

After I get the airship, talk to the guy in the castle and go to teh mithril mines I get pwned and keep having to start over from the very beginning what am I doin wrong?[/QUOTE]

You use the airship to go to the cave north of the lake. Not the cave in kazus. Its sad im not gonna be playing this cause zeldaTP is gonna take over playing time.

[quote name='coltcannon']You use the airship to go to the cave north of the lake. Not the cave in kazus. Its sad im not gonna be playing this cause zeldaTP is gonna take over playing time.[/quote]

went in there, got owned. maybe I should just give up /emo

airship....so you mean you got the enterprise upgraded to a real airship?
if that's what you mean
then your next stop is leave the continent ...to another world by flying outside of the landmass(map)

[quote name='Mechanix']went in there, got owned. maybe I should just give up /emo[/QUOTE]

you gotta level up a lot in the west tower of the castle first, and get wightslayer sword. I was doing like, 6-hit combos, 150dmg after a couple tower runs.

got it thanks. Also note if you make Luneth a monk he looks incredibly gay...well I guess he looks like a fucking woman either way.

Can anyone explain to me the exact function of the Mognet Mail System? I bought the strategy guide, and while the maps are nice, it explains pretty much nothing about the extra content. I know you need to exchange mail with other people to unlock side quests and the Onion Knight job, but I don't know how many mails or with how many different people. Anyone have any insight?

Also, I have a Geomancer at job level 99 and I want his special master job level item, but I can't find that stupid blacksmith anywhere to get it.

[quote name='Yaxley']Can anyone explain to me the exact function of the Mognet Mail System? I bought the strategy guide, and while the maps are nice, it explains pretty much nothing about the extra content. I know you need to exchange mail with other people to unlock side quests and the Onion Knight job, but I don't know how many mails or with how many different people. Anyone have any insight?

Also, I have a Geomancer at job level 99 and I want his special master job level item, but I can't find that stupid blacksmith anywhere to get it.
[/quote]This is what I used:
http://ff3trans.pbwiki.com/Part Eight

There might be a better one out now that the game is in English, but it has a lot of information.

[quote name='banpeikun']This is what I used:
http://ff3trans.pbwiki.com/Part%20Eight

There might be a better one out now that the game is in English, but it has a lot of information.[/quote]
Thanks. That was a helpful link and actually answered both of my questions. Now why couldn't the strategy guide I had to pay for have been that clear about it?

[quote name='banpeikun']Which strategy guide did you get? Just for reference[/QUOTE]

I think there's only 1... looks like it's published by Brady.

Kind of shitty they don't tell you about any of the secrets.

Am I missing out on alot by not having mognet or wifi??

[quote name='Roufuss']I think there's only 1... looks like it's published by Brady.

Kind of shitty they don't tell you about any of the secrets.

Am I missing out on alot by not having mognet or wifi??[/QUOTE]

There's one class that you get with Mognet. Other than that I'm not too sure.

[quote name='banpeikun']that's weird that nintendo power didn't make one. they have I II IV and V[/QUOTE]

I'm glad Nintendo didn't make it, the guides for IV and V suck ass.

For IV they didn't have a map or descriptions of the huge bonus dungeon at the end... just one page telling you it was there and to "Try it out!".

[quote name='banpeikun']Which strategy guide did you get? Just for reference[/quote]
It's the Brady Games guide. I guess it does tell you about the side quest and secret stuff, but it's not very clear. Telling me "future letter exchanges are dependant on other letter exchanges with other players" let's me know I need to do wifi, but it's not terribly specific. Plus, I spent about two hours looking for a certain character and failing to find her because the guide didn't say that she doesn't appear until you've sent enough letters.

Granted, the guide has made the game a lot less frustrating for me, and therefore more fun, then it would have been without it. But all it would have taken was about 2 or 3 more sentences to make the wifi and side-quest unlocking more clear.

Edit to answer Roufuss's question: Yes, you miss out on some stuff without Mognet, mostly highly level things. Apparently you need to exchange wifi letters to access the Onion Knight class, get the Ultima Weapon, and get all the master job items.

can anybody list or PM their friend code for me to send messages to? the friends i know that have the game are out of town for the vacation~

I picked up this game just so i wouldnt be bored for thanksgiving *Note: i have never played a FF game before this* And I Have fallen in love with the game. this is only my second RPG *first was oblivion* but i gotta say this has to be a competitor if not victor for Handheld game of the year. At least from an Xbox fanboys perspective.

Man I can't help myself from dogging on the DS'es 3-d capabilites. This game is seriously what FF on n64 would have looked like.

It's pretty fun so far, I screwed up my Quicksave somehow and had to go play an extra hour to catch up though :(

[quote name='MrSneis']Man I can't help myself from dogging on the DS'es 3-d capabilites. This game is seriously what FF on n64 would have looked like.

It's pretty fun so far, I screwed up my Quicksave somehow and had to go play an extra hour to catch up though :([/quote]now when you say dogging on, what do you mean?

bread's done
Back