Official Final Fantasy III DS thread

For the one-hit-kill scenario... even if everybody just "Guards" they can get job level xp.

Also... when my Geomancer was killing everything, I'd still get more job XP for my slow-ass Knight and Viking. After a while I'd notice that the Knights wouldn't be as high (like 25 vs. 30) but they'd still go up even if they didn't get the chance to attack or do anything... I'm confused.

I don't know about this levelling thing - but I know that as soon as I got to the fire crystal I switched my White Mage to a Geomancer. Then I got put right into that fight with Heim (or whatever) where it warns you about having a Scholar. So I switched my Thief to a Scholar. I hadn't done much levelling when I ran into Heim. My Geomancer did some bizarre attack that I hadn't seen her do yet that hit for 3500. The Scholar, meanwhile, finds "no weak points", OK. Heim then beats on my characters and almost wipes them all out. Next turn the Geomancer does a "regular' attack (Ice storm or something) that hits for 500. He's dead. I never even saw any of this weak point changing or "barrier" that the Argus castle guys talked about (when I went back there they were saying how great my characters are that they got past his "barrier" change - don't even know what they are talking about!). Now I'm feeling I kind of missed the challenge of that fight :rofl:.

[quote name='NewSc2']For the one-hit-kill scenario... even if everybody just "Guards" they can get job level xp.

Also... when my Geomancer was killing everything, I'd still get more job XP for my slow-ass Knight and Viking. After a while I'd notice that the Knights wouldn't be as high (like 25 vs. 30) but they'd still go up even if they didn't get the chance to attack or do anything... I'm confused.[/quote]if your other guys guard, they will go first in sequence. but if they're not guarding and the geomancer goes first and kills everything, no one else will get any job xp.

[quote name='banpeikun']level 40? you should have beaten the game by now haha[/quote]
Um... yeah. You're joking, right? I had to be on level 57 before I could beat the final boss. And just now I walked in to the secret dungeon and got slaughtered before any of my guys even had the chance to act.

NOTE: Level 99 might sound crazy for most RPGs, but it doesn't seem all that unreasonable for FFIII. KEEP GRINDING THOSE LEVELS!

Finally cracked this open after needing a break from Magical Starsign. Enjoying it quite a bit, but in both good and bad ways, it takes quite an adjustment to devolve 20 years in gaming. :D I haven't bought a spell since the original Final Fantasy.

Starting off with a basic Warrior, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage configuration, though I have a feeling if I keep that set too long, I might find myself lacking on the offensive end without another physical fighter.

I've been really annoyed with my local Best Buy stores. I have an extra copy of Clubhouse games that I've been wanting to exchange for this +$10 in order to pick it up, but none of the stores in town have the game.

Add that to the fact that it seems to have been removed from Best Buy's website. It was on their top 10 DS games yesterday... and now that list is.... 9.

link

Grrr.

[quote name='botticus']Finally cracked this open after needing a break from Magical Starsign. Enjoying it quite a bit, but in both good and bad ways, it takes quite an adjustment to devolve 20 years in gaming. :D I haven't bought a spell since the original Final Fantasy.

Starting off with a basic Warrior, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage configuration, though I have a feeling if I keep that set too long, I might find myself lacking on the offensive end without another physical fighter.[/quote]well all the good jobs aren't available until later so you'll have to change anyway...

I'm now at level 49 and finished a few sidequests. I guess I'll go get those weapons in the last tower and increase my levels more. I'm currently using a Ninja, thief, Sage, and a Geomancer. Anybody have any recommendations for what jobs to use?

[quote name='botticus']Finally cracked this open after needing a break from Magical Starsign. Enjoying it quite a bit, but in both good and bad ways, it takes quite an adjustment to devolve 20 years in gaming. :D I haven't bought a spell since the original Final Fantasy.

Starting off with a basic Warrior, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage configuration, though I have a feeling if I keep that set too long, I might find myself lacking on the offensive end without another physical fighter.[/QUOTE]

Post you friend's code ASAP! I was wondering if you were going to play this. I had the same classes as you except for a thief instead of the black mage. I'm relaly missing out on spells, so I think you will be OK (though the thief is my best fighter - even better than the Knight I have now). Just remember to switch someone to a Geomancer as soon as you can ;).

Funny, I don't find the game to be that "old" feeling - maybe it's the purty 3D graphics that are tricking me ;). I also didn't play any of these games originally and can only compare to other DS/GBA and PS2 type RPG's. It doesn't seem that outdated compared to most of the ones I've played. In fact, the whole job switching thing seems pretty advanced to me compared to the old computer RPG's I was playing around the time this originally came out.

[quote name='io']Post you friend's code ASAP! I was wondering if you were going to play this. I had the same classes as you except for a thief instead of the black mage. I'm relaly missing out on spells, so I think you will be OK (though the thief is my best fighter - even better than the Knight I have now). Just remember to switch someone to a Geomancer as soon as you can ;).

Funny, I don't find the game to be that "old" feeling - maybe it's the purty 3D graphics that are tricking me ;). I also didn't play any of these games originally and can only compare to other DS/GBA and PS2 type RPG's. It doesn't seem that outdated compared to most of the ones I've played. In fact, the whole job switching thing seems pretty advanced to me compared to the old computer RPG's I was playing around the time this originally came out.[/quote]Where's my friend code? Main menu, Wi-Fi settings?

See, you didn't play the original FF (unless you played Dawn of Souls). Even with the graphics, I can't help but see the similarities between the two. Victory music, battle system (again, minus the animations/graphics), buying spells (and magic points per level), menus, never-ending spiral staircases in castles :D, world design, etc. Hell, take out the jobs, and I would have sworn this was FF1 redux with characters that actually had names!

[quote name='botticus']Where's my friend code? Main menu, Wi-Fi settings?

See, you didn't play the original FF (unless you played Dawn of Souls). Even with the graphics, I can't help but see the similarities between the two. Victory music, battle system (again, minus the animations/graphics), buying spells (and magic points per level), menus, never-ending spiral staircases in castles :D, world design, etc. Hell, take out the jobs, and I would have sworn this was FF1 redux with characters that actually had names![/QUOTE]

You won't see any Wifi stuff until you are at a town with one of those goofy-looking things (Mogs?). I only know them from Kingdom Hearts. They will give you your code and allow you to add friends, send messages. You have to be a couple hours into the game before you see them (in most towns).

[quote name='io']You won't see any Wifi stuff until you are at a town with one of those goofy-looking things (Mogs?). I only know them from Kingdom Hearts. They will give you your code and allow you to add friends, send messages. You have to be a couple hours into the game before you see them (in most towns).[/quote]Moogles!

I want to play FFVI now. The Moogle cave battle is one of my favorite parts of the game.

[quote name='botticus']Moogles!

I want to play FFVI now. The Moogle cave battle is one of my favorite parts of the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's it. They call the Wifi and mail system "Mognet". Shouldn't it be Moognet, or Mooglenet, though? :lol:

[quote name='banpeikun']if your other guys guard, they will go first in sequence. but if they're not guarding and the geomancer goes first and kills everything, no one else will get any job xp.[/QUOTE]

No that's what I'm saying. My guys will Attack and not attack, and my Geomancer will kill everything, but my guys who didn't attack will get a job level increase. I've seen this many times.

Like I've said, though, my Geomancer is around lvl 35 while my other guys are about 30.

I dunno, maybe they changed it for the American release. I did pretty extensive testing on the import when it came out and determined quite accurately that job xp were awarded whenever your character does any action.

Are you sure the battle wasn't more than one round when your character that didn't get to act got a job level increase?

[quote name='io']Yeah, that's it. They call the Wifi and mail system "Mognet". Shouldn't it be Moognet, or Mooglenet, though? :lol:[/quote]Alright, got there shortly after you brought it up, but my battery's dying, so I'll have to stop for now after dropping off Cid.

3007-3304-1915

What do you get from this again? Jobs?

[quote name='botticus']Alright, got there shortly after you brought it up, but my battery's dying, so I'll have to stop for now after dropping off Cid.

3007-3304-1915

What do you get from this again? Jobs?[/quote]You get a series of sidequests that lead to being able to get the 'ultimate' weapons for lv99 jobs. you also get the onion knight job.

[quote name='banpeikun']I dunno, maybe they changed it for the American release. I did pretty extensive testing on the import when it came out and determined quite accurately that job xp were awarded whenever your character does any action.

Are you sure the battle wasn't more than one round when your character that didn't get to act got a job level increase?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm sure.

I'll test it again -- I haven't played FF3 for a few days now, but I distinctly remember my Black Mage and Geomancer pwning everything in 1/2 of a round. With their higher Agility my Viking and Knight would still be in attack stance, but they'd still get a job level increase.

I noticed something packaged with FF3 at walmart.

Does anyone know what the bonus is that comes with this game when you buy it at walmart?

Anyone know of a good class guide? I just got the second set of classes. I had been running the BM/WM/Thief/War now I have switched to Thief/Scholar/Geo/Knight.

[quote name='coltcannon']Anyone know of a good class guide? I just got the second set of classes. I had been running the BM/WM/Thief/War now I have switched to Thief/Scholar/Geo/Knight.[/QUOTE]

The only problem you have, there, is a lack of healers. I have pretty much the same setup, except I have a Red Mage instead of the Scholar. And note that I'm on the 3rd set of classes - none of the 3rd set seemed appaling to me, though I did use the dragoon for one boss fight (actually had 3 dragoons and my geomancer). I went right back to RM/Thief/Knight/Geo afterwards. I don't really see the point of the Scholar - I mean, it sounds cool and I wish he was a good char, but all he did was die when I had him. So I switched him back to a Thief, where he kicks all sorts of ass. Oh, I am trying to use the Bard occasionally too (which might be from the 3rd set?) - my Thief switches back and forth between those classes now. The bard kind of sucks too - I'm hoping to find better instruments (I found the island where they sell them - not much better than what I had). In the meantime I will keep levelling him when I have the chance.

[quote name='io']The only problem you have, there, is a lack of healers. I have pretty much the same setup, except I have a Red Mage instead of the Scholar. And note that I'm on the 3rd set of classes - none of the 3rd set seemed appaling to me, though I did use the dragoon for one boss fight (actually had 3 dragoons and my geomancer). I went right back to RM/Thief/Knight/Geo afterwards. I don't really see the point of the Scholar - I mean, it sounds cool and I wish he was a good char, but all he did was die when I had him. So I switched him back to a Thief, where he kicks all sorts of ass. Oh, I am trying to use the Bard occasionally too (which might be from the 3rd set?) - my Thief switches back and forth between those classes now. The bard kind of sucks too - I'm hoping to find better instruments (I found the island where they sell them - not much better than what I had). In the meantime I will keep levelling him when I have the chance.[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like FFV ended up being, some classes are really only good in certain situations, namely a Bard.

I haven't played FF 3 so maybe I am way off :lol:

I picked up my copy two days ago and have been playing it every change I get. So far Im lvl 36 and have opened up the third tier of classes. Monks rock so hard I have mine at lvl 83. :D

Here is my friend code if anyone wants it, even though Im not too sure what the point of using Mognet is.

0859-8477-1734

Okay, I'm clearly missing something easy here. I dropped Cid off, did everything I can think of in Canaan, went to the mountain to the east. Aside from a few treasure chests, there's nothing but a dead-end. I've looked for anything sparkly that might be a switch, but nothing. Do I need to do anything in the town, go back to one of the previous towns, or what?

Edit: Nevermind, got it. Salina was a turquoise blob in the middle of a light turquoise bed, never saw her on my four visits to that house.

[quote name='botticus']Okay, I'm clearly missing something easy here. I dropped Cid off, did everything I can think of in Canaan, went to the mountain to the east. Aside from a few treasure chests, there's nothing but a dead-end. I've looked for anything sparkly that might be a switch, but nothing. Do I need to do anything in the town, go back to one of the previous towns, or what?

Edit: Nevermind, got it. Salina was a turquoise blob in the middle of a light turquoise bed, never saw her on my four visits to that house.[/QUOTE]

I'm way past that and I have no idea what you are talking about :lol:. Glad you figured it out.

I love this game - I went exploring where I shouldn't have and ended up going past some statues. Got instantly slaughtered and presented with a game over screen (not even any battle). I love that kind of stuff - I think that is definitely "old school". Now I've seen hints as to WHY that happened - I shouldn't have gone anywhere NEAR there yet :rofl:.

I just got my airship upgraded for the second time - now it seems I will be able to go underwater. Cool...

As for my Scholar/Thief/Geo/Knight, I def have to switch Scholar back to WM once I defeat the boss its needed for. Anyone else favorite class WM?

[quote name='io']I'm way past that and I have no idea what you are talking about :lol:. Glad you figured it out.

I love this game - I went exploring where I shouldn't have and ended up going past some statues. Got instantly slaughtered and presented with a game over screen (not even any battle). I love that kind of stuff - I think that is definitely "old school". Now I've seen hints as to WHY that happened - I shouldn't have gone anywhere NEAR there yet :rofl:.

I just got my airship upgraded for the second time - now it seems I will be able to go underwater. Cool...[/quote]Yeah, there are a lot of old-school design decisions like that. "Oh yeah, you CAN go to the Mythril Cave behind Kuzos the first time you visit, but you're about 5 levels too low so you won't survive long."

Now that I finished up Zelda I think I'll start focusing on FF III. I just got to the part of the game where you shrink yourself and go into the Gnome(sp?) village. Now I just need to un-shrink myself after I leave it through the secret exit. And I guess I should start working on using mognet as well so I can get the Onion Swordsmen Job and hidden Dungeon later on. It's is going to be a little annoying but at least it uses Wifi...

3222 - 0800 - 9075

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Now that I finished up Zelda I think I'll start focusing on FF III. I just got to the part of the game where you shrink yourself and go into the Gnome(sp?) village. Now I just need to un-shrink myself after I leave it through the secret exit. And I guess I should start working on using mognet as well so I can get the Onion Swordsmen Job and hidden Dungeon later on. It's is going to be a little annoying but at least it uses Wifi...

3222 - 0800 - 9075[/quote]How long did Zelda take you? I just put in 3 hours of that this morning after only getting through 3 hours of FFIII in three days. I'll probably split my time between the two for a while though.

Zelda took me around 33-35 hours to beat. It would have taken me longer but I didn't really do any of the side quests.

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, there are a lot of old-school design decisions like that. "Oh yeah, you CAN go to the Mythril Cave behind Kuzos the first time you visit, but you're about 5 levels too low so you won't survive long."[/QUOTE]

Ah, I did the same thing back in the beginning - got smacked hard. Dragon Quest VIII is much like this. Botticus, if you like this game you need to get yourself a cheap PS2 and finally play DQ8 ;).

While this is an old game with whatever that brings along, I have to say I am really impressed with the (obviously, all-new) graphics. At first I was underwhelmed as the 3D environments (dungeons, overworld, etc) aren't all that great. Where the design and graphics really shine, though, is in the monster design and animation. It has nothing to do with gameplay but is a nice touch and definitely helps with the "immersiveness" of it. I have to admit, I much prefer playing this game to the GBA FF incarnations, even of the more "advanced" games (IV, V). If that makes me a "graphics whore" so be it ;).

A question for those fairly far along:
I went into the underwater cave near the big city and beat Odin at the end. When you are in that room with him you can see a room off to the right with treasure chests. I can't seem to get there from the room with Odin. Is that room accessed from somewhere within Sauronia castle, or from the caves? This is NOT the room with the 8 trapped chests full of pheonix down and elixer - I found that one.

I just beat the game today. I ended up being at level 60 in the end. The last dungeon had me a little worried with the lack of being able to save, but I managed to win. Just remember, Ninja's + Shurikens = ownage. I'm getting Final Fantasy XII for Christmas so, I'm excited.

[quote name='io']Ah, I did the same thing back in the beginning - got smacked hard. Dragon Quest VIII is much like this. Botticus, if you like this game you need to get yourself a cheap PS2 and finally play DQ8 ;).

While this is an old game with whatever that brings along, I have to say I am really impressed with the (obviously, all-new) graphics. At first I was underwhelmed as the 3D environments (dungeons, overworld, etc) aren't all that great. Where the design and graphics really shine, though, is in the monster design and animation. It has nothing to do with gameplay but is a nice touch and definitely helps with the "immersiveness" of it. I have to admit, I much prefer playing this game to the GBA FF incarnations, even of the more "advanced" games (IV, V). If that makes me a "graphics whore" so be it ;).
[/quote]FFVI might change your mind about that in 2 months. ;)

[quote name='botticus']FFVI might change your mind about that in 2 months. ;)[/QUOTE]

Meaning what? I kind of assumed IV, V, and VI were all the same style. I've actually only played IV, and just a little bit so far.

[quote name='io']Meaning what? I kind of assumed IV, V, and VI were all the same style. I've actually only played IV, and just a little bit so far.[/quote]Same style, yes, but VI still stands as the pinnacle of the RPG genre for me. I'll be interested to see what you think of it, with your first introduction to it in 2007, as opposed to 1994 like a majority of us.

[quote name='io']

A question for those fairly far along:
I went into the underwater cave near the big city and beat Odin at the end. When you are in that room with him you can see a room off to the right with treasure chests. I can't seem to get there from the room with Odin. Is that room accessed from somewhere within Sauronia castle, or from the caves? This is NOT the room with the 8 trapped chests full of pheonix down and elixer - I found that one.
[/quote]
You're right, you access from it the castle and not the caves. Enter Saronia Castle, but instead of going in the big front door, go left into the small room with all the black mages. Follow the secret tunnel on the left. Then you go through an uneccessarily complex series of stairways and tunnels until you get to the bottom. The guard there will tell you the way is blocked, but that it used to lead to a secret underground tunnel. If you go right up to the edge, you can see the room Odin was in. The two treasure chests there both have Phoenix Down.

So would you guys say this is worth the $35-40 MSRP? I've never been a huge FF fan, but I do enjoy the games (especially I-VI, that I've played).

I'm a couple of hours in, so far I like it. I've added most of the friend codes listed, so here's mine if you would like to add me: 1847-6919-0816

Thanks,

[quote name='2Fast']So would you guys say this is worth the $35-40 MSRP? I've never been a huge FF fan, but I do enjoy the games (especially I-VI, that I've played).[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's the best RPG on the DS, with Contact coming in a close second. If you like turn-based traditional RPG's then FF III is probably better, but Contact is a more off-beat and unique. And this is really the first FF game I've ever played extensively (though I own X, X-2, and XII ;)).

[quote name='2Fast']So would you guys say this is worth the $35-40 MSRP? I've never been a huge FF fan, but I do enjoy the games (especially I-VI, that I've played).[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you didn't buy it yet, it's going to be $19.99 at TRU on Tuesday!

Can't wait, I was going to pick it up today too, but now I might as well wait =/

Can someone who's beaten the game give me some advice? I'm about to go into the final run here. Just outside the Ancient's Maze. What level and classes should I be or are best to go in? Right now, I'm rolling everyone about at 40. I have a Dragoon, a Dark Knight, a Devout, and a Black Belt. The Devout and Black Belt obviously are low level because I just opened the classes, and my Dragoon and Dark Knight are 35 and 22 respectively. Any help would be super appriciated.

[quote name='Sgt. Baker']Can someone who's beaten the game give me some advice? I'm about to go into the final run here. Just outside the Ancient's Maze. What level and classes should I be or are best to go in? Right now, I'm rolling everyone about at 40. I have a Dragoon, a Dark Knight, a Devout, and a Black Belt. The Devout and Black Belt obviously are low level because I just opened the classes, and my Dragoon and Dark Knight are 35 and 22 respectively. Any help would be super appriciated.[/QUOTE]

Level 40?? I think you are going to have to grind a bit. I've been through the Crystal tower several times trying to level up and get all the items there and I'm at about level 55. I've heard 60 is good for the final stuff, which I haven't tried yet. However, I'm trying to kill a Dragon to see if I can get the Onion Knight equipment. They slaughter me every time I see them. Unless they are much harder than the final bosses, I am nowhere near ready. Maybe I ought to make a run at the end just to see though. However, my geomancer was in the 90's and I wanted her to hit 99 to get the special weapon. I got the one for the Thief, but he's now a Ninja. I also have a Black Belt. Both of them are gaining steadily, but still around job level 30. The Onion Kinght levels like a snail and is only at 25 or so even though I've had him for longer than the Ninja and Black Belt.

So, once I get the special weapon for the Geomancer I might make a run at the end. If I get slaughtered there I'll try for the dragons again. I'm worried that the Onion Knight is too weak - but if I switch him to something else I will have NO healers. Then I'd have to level up 2 new classes and that will take a while.

Can anyone who has finished compare the final bosses to the dragons and let me know if I will need to be able to beat the dragons easily to be able to finish? Or should I just go for it?

And Roufuss - $20? Why on earth would they do that? Well, that's a damn fine deal. But my $35 preorder from GR amounts to a cheaper price (in original trade-in fodder anyway). It's when games hit $10 so soon after release (and I bought them at release) that I get pissed ;).

[quote name='io']
Can anyone who has finished compare the final bosses to the dragons and let me know if I will need to be able to beat the dragons easily to be able to finish? Or should I just go for it?
[/quote]

The final boss is level 60, and most of the enemies leading up to it are between 50 and 55. For comparison, the Yellow Dragon is Lvl 50, the Green Dragon is 60, and the Red Dragon is 70. All of which is to say that you can beat the game even if you aren't a dragon slaying machine. The Red Dragon is one tough SOB.

My characters were all level 57 when I beat it. If all of your characters were at job level 99 with their master items, you might be able to do it as low as level 55, but given how long it takes to get to the final boss and how much time you lose if you die, I'd recommend being at least level 57 or 58 before you make the final run.

bread's done
Back