Official Final Fantasy VI Advance Thread. Release date: 02/05/07

[quote name='asianxcore']Picked up two copies at TRU. One copy for myself and one for a good friend of mine, who couldn't find it.

I finished up Phoenix Wright 2 earlier than expected, so I can't wait to dig into this game.

Also.....go Roufuss[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy. ;)

And yeah, Roufuss rules. He tells it like it is.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']currently playing the greatest console RPG of the 90's! The gba's soundchip sucks though, it sounds muddy and flat.[/QUOTE]

Are you playing it on a GBA or a DS?

[quote name='paddlefoot']Well I guess the
Pheonix Down on Phantom Train
wasn't a glitch (or wasn't fixed), as it ended that battle quite quickly ;)[/QUOTE]
I doubt it was a glitch as you're able to do that with lots of undead enemies in the FF series.

[quote name='elwood731']I doubt it was a glitch as you're able to do that with lots of undead enemies in the FF series.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Vanish Doom is gone and I

Well I picked this up today from the Nintendo store. Now the querstion is: do I finish playing Summon Night, or do I toss that in the drawer and start the next 100 hours of my life right now?

[quote name='Puffa469'] Now the querstion is: do I finish playing Summon Night, or do I toss that in the drawer and start the next 100 hours of my life right now?[/QUOTE]

Why.

Why is this a question.

But I was just about to make out with my guardian beast!

*removes cart from micro and tosses it over shoulder.

Woot! Im leaving work in 15 min and I can start playing VI as soon as I get to the train! :D

OMG IS THIS RAER?

jk. can't wait to pick it up, when the inevitable price drop happens.

[quote name='Moxio']I'm not enjoying this game.

*puts up flame shield*[/QUOTE]

At least you're figuring that out now, while you can still sell it on eBay for 85%+ of its retail value.

FYI: I'm really enjoying this game a second time around. As in, I'm having a better time then the first.

I guess maybe I'm older now..and understand WTF is going on really.. lol

Did anyone else notice that
the guard no longer beats Celes when she's in the cell in South Figaro during Locke's story? They talk, he just stands there, and she collapses for no reason at the end.
Maybe they had to change this to keep the rating at E...

[quote name='Apossum']OMG IS THIS RAER?

jk. can't wait to pick it up, when the inevitable price drop happens.[/QUOTE]

$18 total bought at Newegg with $15 off $30 deal at Paypal.

Go. Get. It.

[quote name='keithp']$18 total bought at Newegg with $15 off $30 deal at Paypal.

Go. Get. It.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to wait till May 28th for my rebate though.

[quote name='Callandor']Did anyone else notice that
the guard no longer beats Celes when she's in the cell in South Figaro during Locke's story? They talk, he just stands there, and she collapses for no reason at the end.
Maybe they had to change this to keep the rating at E...[/quote]

Ugh. Lame.

Maybe they had to change this to keep the rating at E...[/quote]
Yeah I can't believe they edited that part out. I don't care about minor changes in script but that was supposed to be an emotional scene. My first time playing back in the day, I felt bad for Celes and wanted to kick that guard's ass lol.

Maybe they had to change this to keep the rating at E...[/QUOTE]

That was removed from the Japanese release too, not sure why.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']DS, which I thought would be decent 'cause it has two speakers.[/quote]I would imagine they'd have to build the sound in the game around the capabilities of the GBA sound chip, so I wouldn't expect better speakers to do much.

Re: spoiler scene above:
To be fair the Japanese version of Final Fantasy VI Advance cut out the scene with Celes being punched and chained to the wall to be sensitive about kidnapping concerns in Japan.
. It's expecting a bit much of Squeenix these days to add it back for the US.

http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/2007/02/08/final-fantasy-vi-advance-the-censored-directors-cut-edition/#more-3108

More changes there. I'm not big on them, but I don't think it will bother me enough to prevent me from having another go at my favorite game of all time. If GameRush doesn't have it today, I'm buying it somewhere else so I have it for the weekend.

Just got my copy today. So now I own this one, the original SNES version, and the PS1 Anthology version. Please tell me I'm not the only one, or I'm going to feel even nerdier than usual.

[quote name='Yaxley']Just got my copy today. So now I own this one, the original SNES version, and the PS1 Anthology version. Please tell me I'm not the only one, or I'm going to feel even nerdier than usual.[/QUOTE]

If I had a SNES and some spare cash for FF6, I would be in the same boat as you.

Again, from what I've played the only dissapointing factor is the sound, and the editing of some lines (The Celes scene doesn't bother me at all, didn't even really notice it). But the sound does actually seem better on my DS then my actual GBA player, which is alittle wierd.

Although I heard they got rid of the "I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate..." line and replaced it with a long insult :\

[quote name='Yaxley']Just got my copy today. So now I own this one, the original SNES version, and the PS1 Anthology version. Please tell me I'm not the only one, or I'm going to feel even nerdier than usual.[/QUOTE]

I was that way, but I sold my PS1 Anthology version and I'm going to sell my SNES version. Don't need to own multiple copies of the same game when one will do.

One day I'll get FF6 advance, and the original will show up on the VC in a few years so I'll snag that for the original translation.

[quote name='Yaxley']Just got my copy today. So now I own this one, the original SNES version, and the PS1 Anthology version. Please tell me I'm not the only one, or I'm going to feel even nerdier than usual.[/quote] ... and then, just you wait until the PSP gets its own higher-resolution version with better music & sound.

Well this sucks, I ordered mine at Outpost on the 5th and it still says backordered. Anyone else order from Outpost?

Don't worry my brother, you're not alone. :)

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Don't worry my brother, you're not alone. :)[/quote]
I as well, and I have the soundtrack i ordered from square when the snes one came out.:lol:

the I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate you line was one of my favorites.. it still makes me laugh, thinking about it.

I'm pretty trusting of them with the translation, the FFV one was pretty good, and gave me a few laughs. the "Sweet Christmas, it's a talking turtle" line was the most recent one I can think of.

Trying to finish FFV advance before starting up FFVI advance.

[quote name='jer7583']the I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate you line was one of my favorites.. it still makes me laugh, thinking about it.

I'm pretty trusting of them with the translation, the FFV one was pretty good, and gave me a few laughs. the "Sweet Christmas, it's a talking turtle" line was the most recent one I can think of.

Trying to finish FFV advance before starting up FFVI advance.[/QUOTE]

I think that line was probably one of the worst Woolsey ever wrote...but the rest of the game was so sweet that it became memorable anyway, and now we all love it.

Sort of like the opening scene in Symphony of the Night.

Got my copy today thanks to Newegg's fast shipping.

Can't wait to fire this up again on a portable. I have it on PS1 Anthology but didn't get very far into it.

Now I just have to decide, DS or GBA?

[quote name='Roufuss']I was that way, but I sold my PS1 Anthology version and I'm going to sell my SNES version. Don't need to own multiple copies of the same game when one will do.

One day I'll get FF6 advance, and the original will show up on the VC in a few years so I'll snag that for the original translation.[/quote]

Same here.

Roufuss,

It looks like your list hasn't been updated in a while, your still at 768 games? That always amazes me everytime I see it. 1000 games!?!?!?!

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I think that line was probably one of the worst Woolsey ever wrote...but the rest of the game was so sweet that it became memorable anyway, and now we all love it.

Sort of like the opening scene in Symphony of the Night.[/QUOTE]

I thought that the line fit Kefka.. throwing a temper tantrum and such. But yeah, it wouldn't fit in a more serious tone translation. Campy translations and lines are okay, when they fit the rest of the content, and don't stick out like a sore thumb.

My copy shipped shipped from Amazon yesterday (along w/Dragonball Advanced Adventure). FFVI (SNES US III) is far and away my favorite FF of all time. I don't think I've enjoyed any other FF as much since that game.

[quote name='botticus']

http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/2007/02/08/final-fantasy-vi-advance-the-censored-directors-cut-edition/#more-3108

More changes there. I'm not big on them, but I don't think it will bother me enough to prevent me from having another go at my favorite game of all time. If GameRush doesn't have it today, I'm buying it somewhere else so I have it for the weekend.[/quote]

Sucks about those changes. I liked FFVI so much because of how it made me feel about the characters and how I felt like I was playing an 'adult' game all those years ago as a kid.

I won't read about any more changes until I finish the game. Guess there will be a few surprises in there for me.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Same here.

Roufuss,

It looks like your list hasn't been updated in a while, your still at 768 games? That always amazes me everytime I see it. 1000 games!?!?!?![/QUOTE]

Nah, I think the list is updated, I just haven't updated the #. I think I'm under 500... or close to it. I will be soon ;)

I read through those changes... and wow, a lot of them are shitty.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Jesus, looks like they really fucked with the script and some subtle plotlines. Count me out of this until a price drop at the least.[/quote]Like it or not (not a big fan cause I didn't really care how good the translation was), its a more accurate translation. Less subtlety and missing some of the stuff we loved about the original localization, but that's what happens to games you play when you're 10. :D Did everyone just play this game on the SNES yesterday or somethin? I put hundreds of hours into this as a kid, but I wouldn't notice most of these changes if I didn't see them described on a website.

My complaint is the sound, but I guess that can't be helped. Here's hoping the wait for the VC release isn't too long!

I'm with Botticus. I wouldn't have noticed some of the changes. The beating-of-Celes would have been very hard to miss, and I only know "Son of a submariner!" because of some website that got Digg'd a while back.

Knowing about them, though, does change it. I'll admit I'm not onboard for the Locke changes. He's one of my favorite game characters, and I liked his personality because it worked well as a whole, but divided enough to look fractured.

Completely forgot about Setzer - he's a badass mofo, and another favorite. (Side note: If you've ever played Munchkin, you'll see blank cards you can use to make anything. I made a Gambler class inspired by him.) I don't think the changes are as drastic.

Someone enlighten me - this "Woosley" (Woolsey?) guy...is he that well known? I'll prolly google/wiki him eventually. Didn't know he had this big of a following.

I'll admit as well that some of the subtle changes I wouldn't have noticed.

The Celes scene, I definitely would have, as well the line describing Shadow.
Totally forgot about Setzer's ambiguous past though.

[quote name='Strell']
Completely forgot about Setzer - he's a badass mofo, and another favorite. (Side note: If you've ever played Munchkin, you'll see blank cards you can use to make anything. I made a Gambler class inspired by him.) I don't think the changes are as drastic.
[/QUOTE]

This is the only thing that bothers me about Setzer, is the changes they made to him, because I do remember him as being semi loyal to the Empire, and how they had to make him change his mind and he pretty much had everything he ever knew turned upside down on him.

It seems like in FF6 Advance, he's just kind of... there. It's hard to describe but it dosen't seem as if he's that dramatic of a character.

Same with the Celes / Locke stuff... it was always hinted, but it seems like now they are coming right out and spelling it out for everyone. I mean, yea the fans always assumed they had a thing for each other, but Locke
never really got over Rachel and it shows if you do his side quest
. So I guess some of that impact is lost too.

Can't believe I had to spoiler tag a 10 year old game.

The other changes don't seem THAT big... maybe the soldiers beating up Celes, but everything else seems not so big, like the Shadow line, you still get the general feel for it.

But according to the comments, the stuff about Setzer is true to the Japanese script, which, imo, makes him less of a dynamic character... I guess he's more of a pirate than some kind of Empire sympathizer.

I'm curious to pick this up sooner than I anticipated now.

Sick of waiting around for this game from GameRush... I think I will make a half-hearted effort to get EB to sell it to me for $29.99 (armed only with common sense and a Best Buy ad).

QUICK

how long is this game time wise.

I was wondeirng if i should wait till Monday and hope Gamefly deliverys it (should came friday and still not here)

Or just buy it

if its at least 40 hours long i think it would be a smarter buy

Im talking about start to finsh with no major side tracking

Wow, I honestly don't know how long it is... none of my save files were under 50 or 60 hours, but I never just played it straight through.

I dont know to go over to best buy later tonight to see if they got any. (says online sold out in store) or just wait till monday and hopefully get it off gamefly.

25 bucks (after 5 buck coupon) is sort alot of money to pay for a game when i got 5 other games that i havent beaten yet .

I think if my cousin gets off work by 5 i might go over. If they get off after 5 i might just wait till monday

[quote name='Strell']I'm with Botticus. I wouldn't have noticed some of the changes. The beating-of-Celes would have been very hard to miss, and I only know "Son of a submariner!" because of some website that got Digg'd a while back.

Knowing about them, though, does change it. I'll admit I'm not onboard for the Locke changes. He's one of my favorite game characters, and I liked his personality because it worked well as a whole, but divided enough to look fractured.

Someone enlighten me - this "Woosley" (Woolsey?) guy...is he that well known? I'll prolly google/wiki him eventually. Didn't know he had this big of a following.[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine has played a bunch already, and says it's a mixed bag. On the one hand, you have stuff that's vastly improved over the original translation; on the other hand, some stuff (like some of the more subtle Locke lines) aren't as good as they were.

He specifically points out that while a few of Setzer's lines were changed, they also changed some other ones, and if he'd been playing this for the first time, he'd pretty much have the exact same impression of Setzer. According to him, while some of the changes mentioned were significant, a lot of it was complaining for no apparently reason, or very skewed ("WTF they changed this and I think it sounds worse!!" while ignoring other changes that balance it out, etc.).

Overall, I think I'm going to enjoy this just fine, and I'll consider both localizations together as the "true" one.

p.s. Woolsey's name isn't THAT well known, but he's the man responsible for localizing FFVI, Secret of Mana, AND Chrono Trigger, so you can see why some people (including yours truly) think he was a big deal. I've even heard rumors he did all of Secret of Mana in little more than a month, though I can't attest to how accurate that legend is.

p.p.s. You're lookin' at a minimum of 60 hours to do everything in this game.

bread's done
Back