Official Final Fantasy VI Advance Thread. Release date: 02/05/07

[quote name='Gden']Has anyone seen if there's a Homestarrunner.com reference in this game, and where it is? I'm curious, because I know that 1/2 and 5 had one and I wouldn't be surprised if 4 did and I missed it.[/QUOTE]

I require more information on this. Now.

Is anyone playing this on a Lite? I can't do any of the Blitz combos that require a diagonal direction. I never noticed any problems with diagonals on my lite before, but this is getting really annoying.

okay, in Final Fantasy I/II in the hellfire chasm, if you go there before beating the fire lady one of the patrons will say "Trespassers will be burninated!!". In V (keep in mind this is just IMO), when the giant plant thing in the second world attacks your group Bartz says "WHAT THE CRAP WAS THAT" in clasic SB fashion. I think he may say it one or two more times, but I'm not sure. If all this is true, there probably is a H*R reference in IV, and VI. Keep your peepers peeled peeps. (yes, I know others say "What the CRAP" but strong bad is the one that really made the phrase famous.

[quote name='slidecage']got around 10 hours into the game and think one of two ways

1. going to call up FYE tomorrow to see if they got it (got around 200 bucks on gift card there)

2. Return it to gamefly come tuesday.

even though its been 13 years since the last time i played it, I can still remember playing it and i find it sort of boring. SO unless FYE has it tomorrow i will probally return it to gamefly Tuesday.

be nice if gamefly would drop the BIN price[/QUOTE]

hell with it. I figure there is nothing that i will want to buy off gamefly in the next month so i just picked it up using my gamefly bucks and picked it up for 18 shipped.

I went though Fatwallet so hopefully i get another another buck back (5%) knocking the price down to 17)

with FF 5 getting harder to find i thought might as well grab it .

Now all i need is to rebuy FF 4 and then i will have

FF 1 2 3 4 5 6 all for the GBA/DS

[quote name='nakedsushi']Is anyone playing this on a Lite? I can't do any of the Blitz combos that require a diagonal direction. I never noticed any problems with diagonals on my lite before, but this is getting really annoying.[/QUOTE]
I'm playing on the Lite and haven't had any problems with the diagonals, just have to be a bit precise with them or in the case of smooth motions, quickly.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']For the Blitz's, I just use the old double press method: For Bum Rush it's Left, Left, Up, Up, Right, Right, Down, Down, Left, A.[/QUOTE]

I never knew that trick! Thanks, this'll come in handy...

I forgot how hard these dragons in the WoR are. Though I might be at the ice dragon earlier than I should be, hard to say since it's so open-ended now. Got decimated either way.

Has anyone played this game on a Micro?
How is it?
I'm considering getting one (from CAG, of course :D)

Afraid that the screen may be too small..aka..can't read it lol

[quote name='lilboo']Has anyone played this game on a Micro?
How is it?
I'm considering getting one (from CAG, of course :D)

Afraid that the screen may be too small..aka..can't read it lol[/quote] I'm playing it on a Micro. I think the new font is a little harder to read than the big bold font from the original SNES version, but you can still make it out. Get a copy. It's great.

[quote name='Gden']okay, in Final Fantasy I/II in the hellfire chasm, if you go there before beating the fire lady one of the patrons will say "Trespassers will be burninated!!". In V (keep in mind this is just IMO), when the giant plant thing in the second world attacks your group Bartz says "WHAT THE CRAP WAS THAT" in clasic SB fashion. I think he may say it one or two more times, but I'm not sure. If all this is true, there probably is a H*R reference in IV, and VI. Keep your peepers peeled peeps. (yes, I know others say "What the CRAP" but strong bad is the one that really made the phrase famous.[/QUOTE]

I noticed both of those lines, and the FFV one more recently, i thought that what the crap might have been too common to attribute to homestarrunner specifically, but I did lol at that line.

"Sweet Christmas, it's a talking turtle!" was a good one too.

To the person who asked about the micro, it's perfectly fine to play on. I've played FFV and now FFVI on a micro, only thing is it's good to keep headphones around because the speaker sucks and you've got to enjoy that FF music!

[quote name='botticus']I forgot how hard these dragons in the WoR are. Though I might be at the ice dragon earlier than I should be, hard to say since it's so open-ended now. Got decimated either way.[/QUOTE]

I managed him pretty easily yesterday. Terra's Trance + Fire 2 (er...Firaga?) = win.

Got my ass handed to me by the Wind Dragon when going for Cyan, though. I'll come back to him.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I managed him pretty easily yesterday. Terra's Trance + Fire 2 (er...Firaga?) = win.

Got my ass handed to me by the Wind Dragon when going for Cyan, though. I'll come back to him.[/quote]Ha, we're the exact opposite. I haven't even gotten Terra back in my party yet, just scooped Mog and Relm up last night. I beat the Wind Dragon just prior to going to Narseh.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I managed him pretty easily yesterday. Terra's Trance + Fire 2 (er...Firaga?) = win.

Got my ass handed to me by the Wind Dragon when going for Cyan, though. I'll come back to him.[/quote]

Just wait till the secret dungeon. You don't know the pain that is Skull Dragon. Or the White Dragon for that matter.

[quote name='crazytalkx']11:38 and I'm already in the world of ruin, aww jeah[/QUOTE]

I remember getting to the WoR in one afternoon when I rented FFIII for the SNES back in '95. Thankfully, it's just as good playing through almost twelve years later on a tiny screen. This game really is a masterpiece.

[quote name='defiance_17']I remember getting to the WoR in one afternoon when I rented FFIII for the SNES back in '95. Thankfully, it's just as good playing through almost twelve years later on a tiny screen. This game really is a masterpiece.[/QUOTE]

Wow. But yeah I know what you mean, it's aged so fucking well.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Wow. But yeah I know what you mean, it's aged so fucking well.[/quote]The only thing that hasn't aged so well is me. Loved every minute of it until I realized I needed to do some grinding (about 18 hours in, whatever that tower is called with Kefka's followers). And that used to be fun for me. :D

I'm not sure whether or not to get back into this game... I mean, I tried it and it wasn't fun at all, but I only got the the part where Locke defends the girl in the way beginning.

[quote name='Moxio']I'm not sure whether or not to get back into this game... I mean, I tried it and it wasn't fun at all, but I only got the the part where Locke defends the girl in the way beginning.[/QUOTE]

Do you like RPGs at all? If so, are you old enough to have owned an SNES in its prime? If you answered yes to both of these questions, then you should absolutely keep playing.
If not, you should still keep playing, but you might not enjoy it any more.

It's my favorite RPG of all time, and it's honestly just as entertaining now as it was when it first came out. I think I can say the same for about a dozen titles on the face of the earth. Naturally, that's my personal preference, but you really owe it to yourself to give it a fair shot.

[quote name='defiance_17']Do you like RPGs at all? If so, are you old enough to have owned an SNES in its prime? If you answered yes to both of these questions, then you should absolutely keep playing.
If not, you should still keep playing, but you might not enjoy it any more.

It's my favorite RPG of all time, and it's honestly just as entertaining now as it was when it first came out. I think I can say the same for about a dozen titles on the face of the earth. Naturally, that's my personal preference, but you really owe it to yourself to give it a fair shot.[/QUOTE]

I love RPG's, and yes I owned a SNES with the good RPG's but never III/VI.

This is my first time playing this game, and while I've loved almost every other FF, Breath of Fire, Fire Emblem, Chrono series, etc. I just can't seem to get into this. Granted, I didn't get very far, but I wasn't impressed by this so-called "Best FF ever".

I did really like IV and V (for the part of V I played).

[quote name='Moxio']I love RPG's, and yes I owned a SNES with the good RPG's but never III/VI.

This is my first time playing this game, and while I've loved almost every other FF, Breath of Fire, Fire Emblem, Chrono series, etc. I just can't seem to get into this. Granted, I didn't get very far, but I wasn't impressed by this so-called "Best FF ever".

I did really like IV and V (for the part of V I played).[/QUOTE]

Stick with it, trust me. I can see why the first hour or two wouldn't be all that impressive to someone who's never played it before, but it picks up very shortly after.

How was the part where Locke defends her not awesome?

...ok, so it wasn't amazing, but I still think FFVI had a better intro than most RPGs, and yes, the game keeps getting better and better as you progress. Certainly a contender for my favorite RPG ever.

[quote name='Moxio']I love RPG's, and yes I owned a SNES with the good RPG's but never III/VI.

I did really like IV and V (for the part of V I played).[/quote]

You're not alone. IV was my favorite SNES Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger was my favorite SNES rpg. Unfortunately, from what I played for this one, I felt the dialogue was too contrived. Would like try FFV and Earthbound though.

Yeah, this is one I missed in the SNES days also, and I thought this game was very hard to get in to at the start. I'm not too far in the game(just at the Opera scene), but even though it started slow with a story that seemed fairly dull, it's better now.

I don't know what it is with me and RPGs. I generally like them a lot, and some of them I'd count as some of my favorite games ever. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound come to mind immediately, and both games should be released as GBA/DS games IMO. Well, I guess Earthbound already was, but only in Japan. :whistle2:(
But every now and then I'll get one that I don't like at all. A good example would be Golden Sun. I played that one for about an hour or two, and didn't like the battle system at all(though it's been so long that I can't remember why). FFVI was close to being a game I wanted to give up on at the start, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. I think the problem was that the battle system at the start of the game is just a one-button masher. But as the game goes on, it gets a lot more interesting(especially once you get Sabin, or once everyone gets the ability to use magic).

Making a very late comment on the translation and censorship and such that's supposedly in this game.

I just came across the conversation between Edgar and Relm near the end of the WoB (I know, i'm taking my time between this and FFXII), and it's much closer to the original japanese now.

Originally Edgar made some comment about not wasting your youth, now Relm comments on how much Edgar flirts, he asks her age, she says 10, and then Edgar says that he hopes she's around in 8 years..

Surprised that was kept in, while the Celes beating was taken out.

Overall I like this translation a lot better, for one, Edgar is a much different character, more of a hornball king as he was intended to be, and the Relm-Shadow connection is much more pronounced, as well as Celes/Locke/Terra being more clearly developed.

If they would hire me to blend the new translation with the old one we'd have the perfect script. There are some things I felt shouldn't have been changed, but there's a lot of good stuff in here too.

I just got around to playing it and boy am i pissed at the changes. Why did they change Shadow's script when you first meet him? Why did they change the opera's script? There are other translations that I thought didn't fit, but those so far are noticeable.

[quote name='gokou36']I just got around to playing it and boy am i pissed at the changes. Why did they change Shadow's script when you first meet him? Why did they change the opera's script?[/QUOTE]

Um...closer to the original Japanese script maybe?

[quote name='Strell']All we need know are Chrono Trigger, Lufia 1/2, and Earthbound (translated/released in the US). Afterward, there would be no reason for any game development of any kind to continue on the GBA, as it will have reached Nirvana.[/quote]

If Chrono Trigger gets released on the GBA I will shit my pants in joy. Best RPG ever.

Got back into this yesterday after a few weeks off. I think all the important tasks are taken care of, I'm just going to run around to pick up a few bonuses while levelling some characters.

For those who have finished it, does the game continue after the final battle? Or do I have to do all the extras and subquests beforehand?

Curious, do you guys think this or FFV could hit a clearance over the summer? Would really like to try them out, but hesitate to pay $30, since I haven't played either of them in their previous incarnations.

I've actually never played an FF game before...

Go on.. you can laugh at me... it's ok...

[quote name='PleasantOne']Curious, do you guys think this or FFV could hit a clearance over the summer? Would really like to try them out, but hesitate to pay $30, since I haven't played either of them in their previous incarnations.

I've actually never played an FF game before...

Go on.. you can laugh at me... it's ok...[/quote]Certainly possible FFV might get clearanced; FFVI is less likely. If you can find FFIV cheap now, that would be a good place to start. It's a far better game than V (which is very gameplay-focused, rather than story), and a good intro to what you would experience in VI.

[quote name='botticus'] It's a far better game than V[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

IV has a good story but everything else about V totally eclipses it... hell, I almost prefer the story in V to that of IV, espicially the ridiculous "twist" at the end of Final Fantasy IV.

Hmm, thanks for the input guys! I may look to pick up IV too... Originally I was more drawn to V and VI because, as I recall, they sounded like they have more extensive job systems than IV... if IV has one at all *scratches head* Can't remember for sure. I'm a sucker for that sorta stuff :))

[quote name='PleasantOne']Hmm, thanks for the input guys! I may look to pick up IV too... Originally I was more drawn to V and VI because, as I recall, they sounded like they have more extensive job systems than IV... if IV has one at all *scratches head* Can't remember for sure. I'm a sucker for that sorta stuff :))[/quote]Nope, no real job/class system in IV. They are what they are. VI doesn't have jobs either, actually. The Espers are similar though.

It's gauaranteed 9999 damage, it's not affected by Reflect at all... I'm wiping up the rest of the game with Terra + Celes + Ultima.

I mentioned this last month, but I don't think anyone responded.

Did anybody ever do a speed run on this game? My brother got through it in 10 hours. Too bad I let somebody borrow the game and they erased over that save.

And too bad I lost the game a few months ago.

All the Best Buy's around me were sold out, but Target had like 13 copies in the glass case.

Just about finishing the game now... what an awesome game, even better than I remember it.

Edit: Last boss was so simple... now time to see if Dragon Den is a shitty confusing bonus dungeon I won't bother with, like the one from FF V.

Wanted to add the colosseum fucking blows... whoever that auto AI would be awesome should be punched in the face.

My Celes can dual cast Ultima, but what does she do instead? Just decides to swing her sword... twice.

Sabin keeps blindly attacking a cactaur instead of using Phantom Rush.

I hate the colosseum, but I need growth egg's!

[quote name='Roufuss']All the Best Buy's around me were sold out, but Target had like 13 copies in the glass case.

Just about finishing the game now... what an awesome game, even better than I remember it.

Edit: Last boss was so simple... now time to see if Dragon Den is a shitty confusing bonus dungeon I won't bother with, like the one from FF V.[/quote]Just beat it myself. It was rather easy at the end, but it doesn't take away from the generally awesome game that it is. Definitely easier as a 20-something than a preteen. Spent about 30 hours to get through everything, probably could have easily spent another 10 or 20 levelling and finding everything possible.

Yeah, VI advance is starting to get really hard to find. If I do happen to run across it, it's usually only one or two copies. Much harder to find than any of the others.. glad I grabbed mine when I did.

[quote name='botticus']Just beat it myself. It was rather easy at the end, but it doesn't take away from the generally awesome game that it is. Definitely easier as a 20-something than a preteen. Spent about 30 hours to get through everything, probably could have easily spent another 10 or 20 levelling and finding everything possible.[/QUOTE]

i remember driving 40 miles to buy this game off someone for the super nintendo back in 1994. I played it all night that first night. Sadly they dont make games that make you want to play them all night anymore

[quote name='slidecage']i remember driving 40 miles to buy this game off someone for the super nintendo back in 1994. I played it all night that first night. Sadly they dont make games that make you want to play them all night anymore[/QUOTE]
agreed. The last game that made me constantly play all the way through was FFX. FFXII was a huge letdown. It's always nice to go back to the classics like this though. Still remember getting the Ragnarok sword instead of the Esper...such an idiot

bread's done
Back