Official Folklore Thread - OUT NOW - (1/11 - Add-on Pack 3 & 4 Out Now - $4 each)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']But then again, how many people replay an RPG with the same characters a 2nd time?? There are many who do that. I consider this like Threads of Fate, Star Ocean 2, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, and many other games where there are two story paths that are mostly similar (except for a few different story elements). I don't have a problem with it. Threads of Fate took 7.5 hours each per character, and that's one of the best RPGs IMO.

This is made by the same team behind Brave Story on PSP (at Game Republic, not the Genji team). They've proven to make the best PSP RPG (until Crisis Core came out), and I doubt they'll let me down again.[/QUOTE]

Folklore isn't really an RPG... its more of an action game w/ some RPG elements. Once I played through the demo w/ character 1, I didn't really want to play though the demo with character 2. So in that respect I see Cheapy's point, however, I definitely don't think the game could have been better if it was 7 hours long.. then people would just overlook it. I don't think that there's really anything wrong with the set up that Folklore has, it basically adds replay value to the game, you play for some hours w/ one character finish it, and if you want more you got another character to play with. Eventually I did come back to the demo, and finished it up w/ the second character.

on a side note - hey if this game was on a Nintendo system, they would have sold it to us as Folklore, Man's edition, and Folklore Female character edition, and it would have been two strong games, instead of just one decent game.

[quote name='CheapyD']WTF is a PS3 gamer?[/quote]PS3 Gamer (noun):

A person who plays games with an affinity to all things Sony and Playstation and, in particular, the PS3. Though they try to maintain a semblance of non-bias by arguing that they own all consoles, "PS3 Gamers" can be found, particulary in threads, to come riding in on their white horse, waving the Sony banner and defending the kingdom at the slightest hint of negativity (perceived or actual).

Some can be quite brazen and abrasive (see "fanboy") while others speak mildly and follow most comments with a ";)" so as not to come off as overly harsh, but their true motives cannot be hidden. No amount of logic or reasoning can dissuade them from the belief that any and all things Sony and Playstation related are the epitome of perfection.

See: TheManaKnight

Synonyms: fanboy

Game's looking good. If the TRU sale is on, I'm gonna have to pick this up.

Cheapy, and possibly others who have played the JP or Asian versions of the game. Is there any impetus given by the game as a whole that lets you know you should go back to other character to play?

People on other forums say that it makes sense to alternate back and forth between Ellen and Keats-- Shame that the dual-character dynamic ruined the fun for you Cheapy. I'm actually looking forward to it--- I mean my favorite traditional Resident Evil of all time is RE2-- which essentially had you going back up to 4 times (original play through, B version with different character, A version of different character, B version of the original). You were going through the same locales, and the only thing that changed was the armament and certain story points--- which sounds relatively synonymous with the Ellen/Keats changes (Different Folks etc.)

I'll be getting it, with trade-in credit mind you, but still will get it-- Just by playing the demo I know the world looks good, and it will be a refreshing change of pace from Matchmaking screens in Warhawk and Halo 3

[quote name='SteveMcQ']PS3 Gamer (noun):

A person who plays games with an affinity to all things Sony and Playstation and, in particular, the PS3. Though they try to maintain a semblance of non-bias by arguing that they own all consoles, "PS3 Gamers" can be found, particulary in threads, to come riding in on their white horse, waving the Sony banner and defending the kingdom at the slightest hint of negativity (perceived or actual).

Some can be quite brazen and abrasive (see "fanboy") while others speak mildly and follow most comments with a ";)" so as not to come off as overly harsh, but their true motives cannot be hidden. No amount of logic or reasoning can dissuade them from the belief that any and all things Sony and Playstation related are the epitome of perfection.

See: TheManaKnight

Synonyms: fanboy

Game's looking good. If the TRU sale is on, I'm gonna have to pick this up.
[/QUOTE]No.

The only reason I act this way is because I get tired of people who barely care about PS3 coming into the PS3 forum ragging on it. It is my console of choice overall, kind of like how 360 is your choice.

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']
People on other forums say that it makes sense to alternate back and forth between Ellen and Keats-- Shame that the dual-character dynamic ruined the fun for you Cheapy. [/QUOTE]I agree there. I've actually wanted more games where I had to do that. I remember a few other games come to think of it, where you kind of had to do a deju vu (basically play the same thing twice, like Galerians: Ash) and really enjoyed it. However, that's just me. If I'm playing the same thing over and over again 50 times or something, I'd be a little annoyed, but two times isn't bad.

Yeah, I don't really see the problem. Not to mention I already knew about having to play as both characters awhile ago... I'm surprised people didn't know. The lack of research people do before buying games always surprises. No wonder they rely on reviews so much.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yeah, I don't really see the problem. Not to mention I already knew about having to play as both characters awhile ago... I'm surprised people didn't know. The lack of research people do before buying games always surprises. No wonder they rely on reviews so much.[/quote]
Yeah, but a lot of people also don't want to ruin any surprises the game might hold so they don't research it as much.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No.

The only reason I act this way is because I get tired of people who barely care about PS3 coming into the PS3 forum ragging on it. It is my console of choice overall, kind of like how 360 is your choice.

I agree there. I've actually wanted more games where I had to do that. I remember a few other games come to think of it, where you kind of had to do a deju vu (basically play the same thing twice, like Galerians: Ash) and really enjoyed it. However, that's just me. If I'm playing the same thing over and over again 50 times or something, I'd be a little annoyed, but two times isn't bad.[/QUOTE]

How is it, that a person 360 fan, ninty fan, can come in here, talk crap, troll the thread from the first to the last page, and the people who like Sony, stays in the Sony thread, not trolling 360, Ninty pages, gets called a fanboy.

[quote name='CheapyD']WTF is a PS3 gamer? I have a PS3 and I'm a gamer. I've liked Warhawk and Railfan and thought Resistance was good too. I've also said nice things about Genji and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word backtracking...this is playing through what amounts to basically the same game twice to proceed through the story.

Also, there aren't really any RPG elements in the game, other than your health bar gets bigger when you kill more stuff. In fact, on the back of the box, it reads "Genre: Action/Adventure".[/QUOTE]Well, I was talking about those who had PS3 as a preference, but that's another story and don't worry about it. I pretty much messed up on what I was meaning to say anyway. ;) I thought you weren't much of a Resistance fan?? I dunno, I kind of forgot.

I personally don't have a big issue with backtracking, since many RPGs I liked were that way.

Well, maybe not a direct RPG, but close enough. I mean, some called FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus an RPG. Well, these days, genres and be iffy due to games mixing in so many genres, instead of just sticking to one.
[quote name='Thomas96']How is it, that a person 360 fan, ninty fan, can come in here, talk crap, troll the thread from the first to the last page, and the people who like Sony, stays in the Sony thread, not trolling 360, Ninty pages, gets called a fanboy.[/QUOTE]Not bad in this thread, but in certain threads.

I am looking forward to the game.

You may go through it twice but the two characters play differently and have different attacks with the same folks. So there is a change.
At least that's what I took from the review and demo.

How many points should the game lose [if any] just because you have to play it with both characters... as long as the game is good, then you probably wont mind going back and playing with the other character.

[quote name='Thomas96']How many points should the game lose [if any] just because you have to play it with both characters... as long as the game is good, then you probably wont mind going back and playing with the other character.[/QUOTE]Exactly. Many of my favorite games (some which are very short), I'd play through the game 20 times because I enjoyed it so much (like Zone of the Enders).

[quote name='Thomas96']How many points should the game lose [if any] just because you have to play it with both characters... as long as the game is good, then you probably wont mind going back and playing with the other character.[/quote]I agree, to an extent. However, FORCING people to play through with both characters is fucking retarded. I wouldn't mind having the option to play through it twice, but I don't want someone to make me play through with both characters to beat the game, especially since there is very little difference between the two.

Wow, that GT review is just wrong! They make it sound that you have a choice on which character you take, when the reality is you MUST play both sides. Did they really play through the game?

[quote name='CheapyD']Wow, that GT review is just wrong! They make it sound that you have a choice on which character you take, when the reality is you MUST play both sides. Did they really play through the game?[/quote]

Did you finish the game? It sounded earlier like you were still trudgin' through it. I hope the ending isn't too shabby.

What I was unaware of were the online features this game has to offer, it sounds neat enough, reminds me of the "custom" dungeon runthroughs you could create for the Castlevania DS games.

So I stopped in my local Gamestop today as I drove past. Here's what went down:

Me: "Hey, I just wanted to check if you're expecting to get Folklore in later today or tomorrow?"
GS: "Did you preorder it?"
Me: "Nope"
GS: "Well, we probably won't get it then. We usually don't get small titles like that unless you preorder them."
Me: "Okay....thanks. I guess I'll check back then."
GS: "Oh don't bother checking back, we won't get it anyway since you didn't preorder."
Me: "Okay, I won't"

I just didn't have the heart to tell him that it's been the top selling PS3 game on their own website for the past week - not really a "small title". I was planning on getting it next week at TRU anyway.

[quote name='reiji']So I stopped in my local Gamestop today as I drove past. Here's what went down:

Me: "Hey, I just wanted to check if you're expecting to get Folklore in later today or tomorrow?"
GS: "Did you preorder it?"
Me: "Nope"
GS: "Well, we probably won't get it then. We usually don't get small titles like that unless you preorder them."
Me: "Okay....thanks. I guess I'll check back then."
GS: "Oh don't bother checking back, we won't get it anyway since you didn't preorder."
Me: "Okay, I won't"

I just didn't have the heart to tell him that it's been the top selling PS3 game on their own website for the past week - not really a "small title". I was planning on getting it next week at TRU anyway.[/QUOTE]That's Gamestop for you. They won't let me have a game unless I preordered.

I was able to get Motorstorm on release even though I didn't preorder it *shrug* lol. The guy did ask if I preordered it though it didn't seem to make any difference.

Sounds like the same crap they told me when i went in today about FFT for PSP. He's like well did you preorder it, I'm like nope. And he was like well, a lot of people have been asking about it so maybe you should preorder still before tomorrow. I look at him and i was like in all honesty, i'm only in here because i was hoping you would get it a day before i can buy it at a better place haha. he was like well then...

I'm on chapter 2 for the male character. The game is fun. The whole sixaxis thing gets kind of tiring, but at least im not twisting around and falling out of my chair like with Lair. Wouldnt recommend a buy, a rent is good though.

I'm wondering if anybody knows what the red crystals means, as in are they areas that only Ellen (since I'm using Keats at the moment) can enter or do I need a certain folk to break them?

The color of the crystals tells you what element you need to break it. So red crystals you need to use a folk with fire element, green=wind, blue=water, etc.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The color of the crystals tells you what element you need to break it. So red crystals you need to use a folk with fire element, green=wind, blue=water, etc.[/quote]
I figured that out along with seeing that I missed a path that wasn't hard to miss.

I was playing the underwater city level with Keats and it's pretty hard with that little piece of crap folk that rolls at me while I'm trying to deal with the freezing elephant folk. I died at the hands of those horse folk you meet on the Oblivion path. I do hate those gelatin folk. They don't stay frozen for long and if I mess up my timing, I'll cut it in half and be basically screwed. Is there any good strategies for taking down those things easily with Keats?

I've beaten the Prologue & Ch.1 with Ellen and am in the middle of Ch.1 with Keats with 3 sidequests completed. This game is even better than I expected - the monster design, especially the ones who hang out at the bar, is exceptional. I don't mind reading text, but more voiceovers would add SO much to this game. I can just imagine the kinds of voices that could be used for characters like Charlie the saxophone-playing skeleton and the deer above the fireplace.

I'm surprised this thread kind of died out - I guess everyone's busy with Ratchet & Clank and Eye of Judgment. Just completed chapter 3 with Ellen and moving onto Keats chapter 3 next. The monster design and level layouts keep getting better the deeper you go into this game. If you're on the fence, I highly recommend picking Folklore up, maybe with the $10 off deal at Best Buy tomorrow with Guitar Hero III.

Two new packs coming out for this game.

First, I would like to thank you for helping make our little game a big success. Without your support, deep and innovative games like Folklore would never be made, and quite frankly, I would be out of a job.

So, you’ve played through Folklore, been to Hell Realm and back, and you want MORE??? Well, you’re in luck! Starting this month, and only on the PLAYSTATION Network, you’ll be able to purchase new downloadable add-on packs – each to include a new costume for either Ellen OR Keats, a completely new Folk, and 4 additional quests that extend the Folklore story.

Check out the packs you can look forward to and be on the lookout for more Folklore “surprises” around the corner. Thanks again for your support!

Add-On Pack 1: “The Kidnapped Folk”

Set during the timeframe of the original story, this is your opportunity to return to Doolin – gateway to the Netherworld – and take Ellen and Keats’ extraordinary adventure a little bit further. The quests include a mission to recapture a kidnapped Folk and an attempt to regain the trust of Brumbear’s soldiers. The pack also includes a new look for Ellen and a Folk called Maximillian who has a mean cannonball attack.

Add-On Pack 2: “”Bottom of the Sea”

Search the seabed for a mysterious item requested by Damona, get to the bottom of an accident that takes place in the Endless Corridor and complete the Wandering Thoughts mission started in “The Kidnapped Folk” Add-On. For Anime fans, Keats gets a “familiar” body suit that appears when he is in his “trancenscion” state and can face Phutcampus, a new Folk to defeat.

These Folklore Add-On Packs are priced for download at $3.99 apiece, or bundled together for $5.99. Details on more Folklore Add-On Packs coming soon!

No date yet.

The connectivity between this and the new PSP game, "Coded Souls" I think it is called, and now these shows that they are doing some interesing things with this title.

I played this demo on Monday and bought the game on Wednesday. I really dig it. Tone, style, voice acting - love it all.

Reminds me, in some ways, of the first Shadow Hearts. In a good way.

I'm very happy I bought it.

I'm very close to finishing it with Keats, and then I plan to finish it with Ellen.

I'm really digging this game.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Pictures and info of the new FREE Holiday Pack coming out TOMORROW![/quote]
Nice. I like Keats' new outfit. :lol:

2120901451_d5db270825.jpg

Just got this for X-mass, started playing it tonight.. I like it.. Only played as Ellen and defeated the first boss. Not sure what I think about haveing to replay the first couple of Chapters as Keats, but from what I was reading, you can either alternate or play most of one character's story, then switch to other char?

[quote name='Sinistar']Just got this for X-mass, started playing it tonight.. I like it.. Only played as Ellen and defeated the first boss. Not sure what I think about haveing to replay the first couple of Chapters as Keats, but from what I was reading, you can either alternate or play most of one character's story, then switch to other char?[/quote]

yup!

The two stories intersect, and you get to see different view points for each character.

Its a very well put together storyline if you ask me

[quote name='Sinistar']Just got this for X-mass, started playing it tonight.. I like it.. Only played as Ellen and defeated the first boss. Not sure what I think about haveing to replay the first couple of Chapters as Keats, but from what I was reading, you can either alternate or play most of one character's story, then switch to other char?[/quote]

Why would you possibly start with Ellen when Keats is so much cooler? ;) Of course I prefer Keat's up close and personal beat down style of play over Ellen's more distant and tactical style.

Anyways, you keep playing as a single characters up until you finish chapter 5. After chapter 5 is done with one character you have to play as the other character until you finish his/her chapter 5 before you can begin chapter 6 (since you play as both characters in the last two chapters both characters need to have access to a number higher poowered folks).

Enjoy the game, I've put about 35 hours into it myself before beating it the final boss, but I did a lot of side quests and stuff inbetween. Its a reasonably lengthy game and a lot of fun IMO. Whoever got it for you made a good choice.

I played the demo and based on that the game was pretty boring. The story and presentation were interesting, but the gameplay felt just unfun.

Does it get better, or is basically just like this?

[quote name='leveskikesko']I played the demo and based on that the game was pretty boring. The story and presentation were interesting, but the gameplay felt just unfun.

Does it get better, or is basically just like this?[/quote]
The original demo (which you can still download) was much better IMO. The newer one was too much story for a demo.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']The original demo (which you can still download) was much better IMO. The newer one was too much story for a demo.[/quote]
That's why there's two demos. One shows off the gameplay and the other shows how the game works.

bread's done
Back