Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Sniper is nerfed now people are saying. Actives don't down people anymore which makes no sense. Every game out if a sniper is bolt action it will pretty much kill in 1 hit, if its semi auto it will take 2 or a headshot. Add to the speed and the way people change direction so easily/sniper bullet trail giving away positions easy. Think they should of made it semi auto and 2 torso hit down.

Anyone else have this already? Some places were selling this early accidentally and I ended up getting hold of a copy. Def good stuff but there is a lot of parts that feel almost like On-rail shooter type gameplay. Like you stand on vehicles platforms (train, rig, etc.) and shoot at guys as you go by almost repetitively. It's got a lot of new awesome stuff though that I won't give away.

edit to above comment: yeah if you don't get a headshot the longshot takes a few shots now.

I'm so looking forward to this I'm out of town most of next week for job interviews (Gone tomorrow through Tuesday, then Thursday through Saturday) then I'll be busy getting caught up on work, dissertation etc.

But when Friday afternoon comes and the game is delivered to my office from Amazon my buddy and I are splitting, hitting the liquor store for some tasty microbrews/imports and launching into a Gears 2 co-op Marathon!

[quote name='HowStern']Anyone else have this already? Some places were selling this early accidentally and I ended up getting hold of a copy. Def good stuff but there is a lot of parts that feel almost like On-rail shooter type gameplay. Like you stand on vehicles platforms (train, rig, etc.) and shoot at guys as you go by almost repetitively. It's got a lot of new awesome stuff though that I won't give away.

edit to above comment: yeah if you don't get a headshot the longshot takes a few shots now.[/quote]

reported!

[quote name='DarthPuma']I never beat Gears 1, the multiplayer sucked me in wayyy to much. Do I need to change this before November 7?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the campaign is great and it's pretty short.

[quote name='DarkRider23']You're crazy if you aren't buying Gears 2 on launch.[/quote]Oh, I am definitely getting Gears on launch

[quote name='HowStern']Anyone else have this already? Some places were selling this early accidentally and I ended up getting hold of a copy. Def good stuff but there is a lot of parts that feel almost like On-rail shooter type gameplay. Like you stand on vehicles platforms (train, rig, etc.) and shoot at guys as you go by almost repetitively. It's got a lot of new awesome stuff though that I won't give away.

edit to above comment: yeah if you don't get a headshot the longshot takes a few shots now.[/QUOTE]

Some places? Yeah.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Have retailers even begun to receive their copies?[/QUOTE]

not impossible. but very unlikely.

its a pretty safe bet that anyone claiming to have it this early pirated it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Trailer was cool...music...not so much. It just doesn't have the same impact as the trailer with 'Mad World'.[/quote]

Yup, I think the same thing. "Mad World" sent shivers down my spine, this was "Last Day" trailer was just OK.

Just google "Gears of War 2 early stores" and you will find lists of stores/addresses carrying it. I'm in Boston but I know a lot in NY broke street date too. Check for your area you might get lucky.

No one I know will be playing it until launch day so I think I'll just abstain from trying to get it early.

"Hey, get online and we'll do some co-op!"
"The game doesn't come out for 2 weeks..."
"Okay, well, I'll set up the room, just accept the invite when you're ready"
*removed from friends list*

edit to above comment: yeah if you don't get a headshot the longshot takes a few shots now.[/quote]

I guess I'll check my local 7-11 tomorrow.

[quote name='HowStern']Just google "Gears of War 2 early stores" and you will find lists of stores/addresses carrying it. I'm in Boston but I know a lot in NY broke street date too. Check for your area you might get lucky.[/quote]

I'm sure if you post pictures of the case, manual, and disc people will believe you actually have the game and didn't pirate it.

It's already went gold and I'd bet some retailers have it by now.

That is kinda funny, I actually think I like the trailers with the music swapped. I think the last day music fits well with the first video and the mad world fits better with the second video.

[quote name='darthbudge']That is kinda funny, I actually think I like the trailers with the music swapped. I think the last day music fits well with the first video and the mad world fits better with the second video.[/quote]

Agreed! It is just so hard to choose which one I like better, since both are awesome.

last day + Gears 1 fits surprisingly well, but Mad world + gears 2 doesn't fit really well. The drill part is not emphasized like it should be with the mad world music

Can't get enough of the Last Day! I'm now officially hyped for this damn game! I wasn't before, but now I am! By the way, awesome way of trading the songs for the commercials. Works either way!

This is my last Gears video for now. I saw some people using totally different songs for the Last Day trailer so I decided to give it a shot as well. The only thing I dislike about it is when I switched from the first part of the music to the second part. It's very noticeable and I wish there was a way I could merge it together better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VllIG2m2MpQ

Nice work on the 'ryche. It works surprisingly well. It's solid as is, but like you said, with a little better music editing it could be amazing. What software are you using? Is there no way to fade out/in the music changes?

[quote name='pop311']last day + Gears 1 fits surprisingly well, but Mad world + gears 2 doesn't fit really well. The drill part is not emphasized like it should be with the mad world music[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought the Last Day original trailer was just kinda average and did nothing for me to pump me up for the game. At least not at all on the level of the first Gears teaser. Pure Apathy's swapping in Gary Jule's Mad World has blown my mind. The Gears 2 teaser went from average to amazing, IMO. Nice work. The Gears 1/Last Day music is okay. It's just Mad World is so damn hard to top.

[quote name='Corvin']Nice work on the 'ryche. It works surprisingly well. It's solid as is, but like you said, with a little better music editing it could be amazing. What software are you using? Is there no way to fade out/in the music changes?[/quote]

I just used some random mp3 cutting program and then put the tracks back to back. I lowered the volume on the second half a little so it wouldn't sound as bad, but other than that I'm still really new and video/audio editing and I'm still learning.

Any tips on getting the audio to sound better on the part I spliced together?

I actually like the trailers for Gears 2. It works really well if you ask me. The first part of it gives me the feeling that they miss their families/friends, but they have to do this to save them and the second half gives me the feeling of let's kick some ass.

Epic Games has a bunch of marketing geniuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='refusedchaos']played some gears 2 today....let me say this...gears 2 makes gears 1 look like utter crap[/quote]

bant

[quote name='thrustbucket']It's interesting how little activity this thread has with so many people already pir... er playing it.[/QUOTE]

You can't talk about games before they are released.

Why? I have no idea.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I just used some random mp3 cutting program and then put the tracks back to back. I lowered the volume on the second half a little so it wouldn't sound as bad, but other than that I'm still really new and video/audio editing and I'm still learning.

Any tips on getting the audio to sound better on the part I spliced together?[/QUOTE]

Not a clue, it's been years since I've done any audio/video work. I sent your videos to a friend of mine which piqued his interest, so he came up with one of his own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhnzzALqh5w

[quote name='DarkRider23']So, where are people getting early copies of games? Did another store break street date like Kmart did with Mass Effect?[/QUOTE]

They are downloading it and playing it on their modded 360's. It's been on the bittorents for a while.

[quote name='thrustbucket']They are downloading it and playing it on their modded 360's. It's been on the bittorents for a while.[/quote]

Thought that would be the case.

[quote name='slickkill77']Why do people do that sh*t. Either wait, rent it or buy it. Don't f*ck the developers with your stupid dl'd. Granted renting doesnt help[/quote]

Technically, renting does because if no one rented the rental stores would have never bought the games in the first place.

Now, the stores selling it used don't help the developers at all.

[quote name='slickkill77']Why do people do that sh*t. Either wait, rent it or buy it. Don't f*ck the developers with your stupid dl'd. Granted renting doesnt help[/quote]With your line of thinking, over half the money made off video games by retailers would be taken away (rentals, used games, etc.). In this case, however, it seems like even pirates are going to buy the game at the same time as everyone else (if not only for the new maps) - so the whole idea of Epic losing out doesn't really stick.

[quote name='zewone']Nor does buying used.[/quote]

What if you buy the last used copy? Then you are forcing a person to buy a new copy.

Bah, there is nothing illegitimate about the secondary market. Is GM going to stop selling cars because people keep buying used ones? However, unlike cars, games are sold and resold quickly with little diminished value so the analogy isn't perfect.

I think the one time use codes for extra/exclusive content are a great idea. It helps keep an incentive to buy new, without excessively punishing those forced to buy used for budgetary reasons.

It also helps create a disincentive for buying new but opened games, you know who I am talking about.

Now the torrents are another story . . .

[quote name='slickkill77']I dont really care about the developers just the fact that people download games illegally rather than buying it.[/QUOTE]

Why?

bread's done
Back