Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Ice Cold']Now that I know what 2 piecing is, I am ok with it.

However what is not fun is the frsutration of getting meleed and just having to stand there frozen until you get blown apart.

Fine ok melee is fine but reduce the stun time to half or eliminate it totally that way you are not frozen and helpless.

Because thinkabout it not even a shotgun blast at close range will freeze you like a Melee does.

And all people do is stand around corners and 2piece or meleee then shoot.[/quote]
You CAN counter a 2-piece by meleeing the guy back or shooting the guy back. Again, I thought this was much more balanced in Gears 2 than in the first one, where it was virtually impossible to counter back ini the first one. In the Gears 2, they give you a bigger window to attack back. =p

I like popping guys before they even get close enough to 2 piece. Some people won't even adjust after you negate the 2 piece. Run wide around a corner and they're trying to shotgun you from distance. A couple bursts from the HammerBurst or Lancer and they're down and waiting for the execution.

Use teamwork and suppress a guy with a Lancer while someone lines up a Sniper/Torque/etc. shot. It sucks to get 2 pieced but it also sucks to get your head popped off or chainsawed.

I haven't played the game for a few weeks, the matchmaking was far too slow (call of duty world at war is almost instant, so its not me...). This is the last straw. :lol:

From what I've noticed, the fault lies more with an individual's connection than Xbox Live's servers or Epic's net code. I played a little multiplayer today and my party of three found a game within a minute. We all have decent connections and it was in the middle of the day.

While one persons connection can mess things up if they have router issues, the problem is really Epics fault. Full party=5 seconds search, by yourself 5 second to 5 minute search. Obviously they did something wrong...

It's true they could've put in non-ranked games but it really makes Gears 2 a party game. Get four buddies and take on the world.

Again, I had two other buddies and we found a game in under a minute.

I played a game last night and people quit way too much even after the update. Before the game started two people on our team quit, then after the first round another guy quit, and then after the next round another guy quit. Of course I didn't quit because I had been waiting 5 mins just to play this game.

I don't think the game will ever get fixed, it's not the code, it's not the servers, it's the people. The only fix would be to take away the leaderboard which would just make everyone mad. They could try bringing back social matches but that doesn't seem like it would change anything especially if there are leaderboards for both.

The game takes too long, too many people quit, and there are too many glitchers/cheaters. Until that's fixed I will stick to Horde mode with people I know and Halo 3.

I've had Halo 3 since December and in my 50+ ranked matches, honest to God, I've only experienced two occasions of people quitting. It's the same folks playing Halo, Gears, and CoD. Why is quitting such a problem for Gears? If I was given the opportunity to know if God exists or why mofo's quit so much in Gears, I wanna know why these asshole punkbitches keep quitting.

Well the single biggest problem with the multiplayer in gears 2 is forced ranked matches. In Gears 1 you could play for hours without ever waiting for anything except the next match to load. People quit, and people came. It was awesome.

It's lame that Epic forces only Ranked matches in a game that could never be taken seriously for any tournaments the way close combat is such a coin toss.

Epic claims that part of the last patch allows them to make modifications to how weapons work on their end without releasing a client patch. Their first attempt at this was to tone down the 2-piece, which I think went into affect today.

Quitting would not be an issue if the team rebalanced on the fly. COD and HALO do that, that's why you don't notice quitters.

Everyone knows the chainsaw is way way way overpowered but the 2-piecing is just as annoying. I disagree with those here that say it's fine, and to just learn to counter it. There are always 2 or 3 guys in every match who do nothing but wait around corners or charge people over and over and over, trying to 2-piece.

My biggest complaint with the gameplay in gears is how heavily weighted it all is towards close combat. With the starting weapons, if you want to succeed, you have to get close.

8/10 times, a good player charging in with a shotgun from cover to cover attempting to 2-piece will win out over anyone with the hammerburst or lancer out.

I didn't really think the chainsaw was overpowered after playing against it for a while. Compare it with a two piece, if you're that close to someone you would kill them anyways with a shotty.

I rarely even got chainsawed since I developed a distance to it.

EPIC is just hidding behind and uses Microsoft's TrueSkill as an excuse for their broken Matchmaking.

I can assure you Gears 3 will be nothing like Gear 2 matchmaking.

besides Trueskill does not even work because it pairs me with, People of Much higher skill and much much higher ranks

TrueSkill does work. It isn't a guarantee you'll only play with those of your skill. It's a complicated system of attempting to find those near your skill level, but also weighing a number of other issues like wait time.

It could find only those of your skill level, but are you willing to wait 4-5x longer to do so?

It's always being tweaked and worked on. It's ever evolving. And it certainly does need some work. But I don't think a lot of people understand what it is.

equations.jpg

skilldia_5.jpg

Trueskill in action :dunce:

people who complain about the lag or not being able to quickly find a game need to get better internet. im paying a lot for comcast cable so i never have to deal with the problem. but i hate it so much when a laggy host makes the game slow for every one.

Laggy games has little to do with getting a better connection lol. People who have lag issues in Gears dont have it in any other game....

Horrible region filter+bad network+server side hit detection=best idea evar

This game is a disaster, plain and simple, when it comes to the online. Why even bother firing the game up anymore. The ONLY way i would ever play again is if they bring back public matches that keep on going map after map and let people join when someone quits, like gears 1. Otherwise, this game is dead in the water. Such a shame since the single player truly was mind blowing, but the broken online makes it one of the worst 360 games ive had the displeasure to put into my xbox 360.

[quote name='nintendokid']I've had Halo 3 since December and in my 50+ ranked matches, honest to God, I've only experienced two occasions of people quitting. It's the same folks playing Halo, Gears, and CoD. Why is quitting such a problem for Gears? If I was given the opportunity to know if God exists or why mofo's quit so much in Gears, I wanna know why these asshole punkbitches keep quitting.[/quote]

Easy answer....achievements and match making equals disaster. Now you can blame the user for quiting; however, I blame Epic. As a consumer who has purchased Gears of War 1 and played it online they got used to being able to find there own rooms and play the maps that they wanted to play. So that same consumer loves Gears of War 1 and buys Gears of War 2 when it launches. When they get it home they realize this new thing called matchmaking. Epic took away the availabilty for the consumer to go in and choose the map and game type they want to play. That was a big feature in the first one and now they have to vote and wait for five on five? No, the consumer paid high retail price for that and they should not have to sit and wait for River to pop up if they want to play River. So, the easy thing for the consumer to do is to quit and try there luck again on another match making adventure.

Halo 2 used match making so the Halo fans expected to see that in Halo 3 and are used to it. The original Gears fans never had to deal with that in the first game. Now Epic adds achievements to the Flashback and Combustible maps and now everyone wants to play a certain flashback map on Annex. That ruins the experience for other consumers as well. You now have achievement whores who all of a sudden want to play Annex to get the new achievments on the flashback maps, and other players who want to do something other than Annex on a flashback map. So if the achievement whore consumer does not get his way he can quit and try his odds in another one. Same thing with the Non-achievment whore consumer, they may be tired of Annex on Flashback or Combustible maps and leave as well.

We are the consumers and everyone paid to play Gears online. Consumers are not required to have etiquette when quiting games online. Non informed consumers who purchased Gears of War 2 assumed that the match making would be the same as the first. If you purchased a new basketball, would you let two other guys come up to you and tell you that you need to use it as a soccerball for 25 minutes instead of a basketball because they want to play soccer?

Played a couple hours of multiplayer last night. Wingman was so full of glitchers and cheaters we just split after a couple rounds. Dead Man Walking is becoming a huge problem in Wingman. Also, I shadowed a couple of guys and they were visibly faster than anyone else playing the game. I'm talking Usain Bolt fast.

Played Elimination with three and four other guys and we never got to finish a match because everyone jumped out of the room or they glitched so much that the whole thing shut down. It's either that or they're playing with the slowest DSL on the planet.

I'm also going to just play Horde mode with friends and leave it at that. Maybe we can get a CAG room together with 10 guys and go at it there but I'm done playing the world at this point.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Or better yet.
Make it so you have to pick up the shotgun like the Sniper or Bow.
With that much power it shouldn't be a default weapon.
[/QUOTE]

For serious. Multiplayer would better mirror the more enjoyable gunplay in single player by forcing people to use the Lancer/Hammerburst instead of whoring the shotgun because it's there by default.

Noooooo....I think the shotgun is perfect as it is. Not too strong, not too weak. Chainsaw is the only thing they really need to balance out weapons wise. The reach and the stun time of it needs to be tweaked.

[quote name='NTolerance']For serious. Multiplayer would better mirror the more enjoyable gunplay in single player by forcing people to use the Lancer/Hammerburst instead of whoring the shotgun because it's there by default.[/QUOTE]

Or just add a playlist that's just Lancer/hammerburst and pistols with no weapon pickups.

Shotgun needs to be balanced, so does lancer. I think they need to bring the hammerburst up a level or two, it can't compare to the lancer at all. The lancer kills an enemy with half or even less of it's clip left, while the Hammerburst basically takes a full clip to kill.

I will be playing this later on, online because my halo 3 disc is no longer readable by my 360.... which sucks because I just bought the legendary map pack, but oh well. Gears of War 2 online is going to suck i know, but i have to do it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Or just add a playlist that's just Lancer/hammerburst and pistols with no weapon pickups.[/QUOTE]

This game would be at the top of my list if it had that.

Unfortunately hardly anyone would play that playlist because the so-called good people at this game wouldn't be in that playlist.

I don't think anything could really get me into the Gears multiplayer. I just don't enjoy it as a competitive game. But it's as good as it gets as a co-op game.

[quote name='thrustbucket']This game would be at the top of my list if it had that.

Unfortunately hardly anyone would play that playlist because the so-called good people at this game wouldn't be in that playlist.[/QUOTE]
I would rather not play with the so-called good people (cheaters, glitchers, standbyers) that's why I just stopped playing the mulitplayer.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Shotgun needs to be balanced, so does lancer. I think they need to bring the hammerburst up a level or two, it can't compare to the lancer at all. The lancer kills an enemy with half or even less of it's clip left, while the Hammerburst basically takes a full clip to kill.

[/quote]
Are you serious? I can kill someone waaayyy faster with the hammerburst than lancer

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Shotgun needs to be balanced, so does lancer. I think they need to bring the hammerburst up a level or two, it can't compare to the lancer at all. The lancer kills an enemy with half or even less of it's clip left, while the Hammerburst basically takes a full clip to kill.

I will be playing this later on, online because my halo 3 disc is no longer readable by my 360.... which sucks because I just bought the legendary map pack, but oh well. Gears of War 2 online is going to suck i know, but i have to do it.[/QUOTE]

You should play more before attempting to say what is wrong and needs to be balanced in a game...

is it me or are quitters worse than ever? Trying to play combustible maps and if annex isn't voted or the map people isn't what they want, they quit even before the match starts. seems like that additional achievement messed things up for the new DLC. Wingmans pretty bad and even execution has seem to get worse.

[quote name='decrot']is it me or are quitters worse than ever? Trying to play combustible maps and if annex isn't voted or the map people isn't what they want, they quit even before the match starts. seems like that additional achievement messed things up for the new DLC. Wingmans pretty bad and even execution has seem to get worse.[/quote]

I guess that's what they get for Ranked only achievements in a game with broken multiplayer.

[quote name='decrot']is it me or are quitters worse than ever? Trying to play combustible maps and if annex isn't voted or the map people isn't what they want, they quit even before the match starts. seems like that additional achievement messed things up for the new DLC. Wingmans pretty bad and even execution has seem to get worse.[/quote]

Definitely, I broke down and bought the maps and they are pretty much unplayable due to quitters. Its fucking ridiculous.

I didn't run into quitters last night but there were alot of laggers and glitchers. It sucks when I'm forced to play with the scoreboard on the screen for the first five minutes and then it pops off to have someone just running through and chainsawing everyone while we pepper him with "ineffective" shotgun blasts to the dome.

[quote name='doodle777_98']I could use help finishing the first 10 rounds of horde on the flashback maps.[/quote]
i'd join ya. is there anyone else who want to do this?

[quote name='doodle777_98']I could use help finishing the first 10 rounds of horde on the flashback maps.[/quote]

I'd be willing to do that, but I can't play until later tonight. Shoot me a FR is you need someone.

They already lowered my rank in-between playing Horde and going into Private Matches last night, I'm still trying to figure that one out. But...no, it won't matter.

Anyone else having this problem: Since the patch, I get a disc read error whenever my friends and I start a game of Horde. It happens only once, when the first match loads. I get booted and have to get my friend to reinvite me, then it's fine from there on out. I haven't gotten a disc read error for any other game, and, like I said, it only happens in Gears under those circumstances. I've installed the game to my HD to see if that helps (haven't had a chance to test it since). It's annoying, but oh well. It's probably time to move on to Left 4 Dead anyway.

bread's done
Back