Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Anyone still looking to boost? I'll be online the rest of the weekend trying to get this dam achievement. Willing to boost anything, invite me gt- stusjb137

Anyone want to boost? I dont even know how it works. Hit up TooLateForRoses. Need to get from 36 to 100 this weekend. Then I need to finish up 3/4 horde achievements :/

I don't know how it works either, but I'd like to get in on a game if anyone would invite me.

I'm only around rank 25 since I don't play much, so this is probably my only chance.

I have my Wings! I also have the Veteran Gear achievement! Maybe you only needed to get to level 100? I'm not complaining though.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']I don't know how it works either, but I'd like to get in on a game if anyone would invite me.

I'm only around rank 25 since I don't play much, so this is probably my only chance.[/QUOTE]

What I have been doing is just jumping from game to game (social KOTH) and dropping when there isn't enough to do it. The sign that you want to is just pull out your smoke grenade. When it's your team turn, you go inside the circle until the number hits 119. When it's not, you go in and out of the circle every time that other team gets a point up until 119. Round 1 goes to one team, Round 2 goes to the other team, Round 3 normally is a crap shoot as most people attack for the win at that point (so whoevers guns are faster).

So far, I have gone from 53 to 89 in about 8 hours of play. This is due to people killing people at times causing the process to go slow (which i hate as this is already boring enough) or due to people only allowing two rounds because they want to fight it out at the end of every round (i.e. I only gain 1 level vs the 2 levels I should be gaining each round). Hopefully I can wrap it up this morning/early afternoon.

I only got to play a game and a half on Thursday night, but I went from 51-56. Pure Apathy had invited me earlier, but I didn't join. Then the whole deal with UFC took longer than I expected, and Pure Apathy and FrankySox went to go play other stuff. But thank you to them, Kefka, Fieldkilla, and Ink for the brief time we did boost.

I was planning to only play a couple games and then try to sleep anyway since I had been up for all but 2 hours of the last 50 up to that point, but even though I stopped playing, I was on for 6 more hours. Ink and I were talking, then some friends I know personally joined the conversation, and Franky came back, too. Gotta say, Ink.So.Well is one of the most fun dudes to talk to in the whole fuckin' world. Not that the others I mentioned aren't... I just hadn't really had a conversation like that with Ink before.

But yeah, about the game- I was out last night (still feels like "tonight" to me) but I'm wanting to boost today. If I sleep, it'll be late night boosting only. If I don't, I'll probably be on and off throughout the day. But if we can get a group to commit to a time, I'll do my best to make sure I can take part. After what happened last night, I really don't want to fuck with randoms.

I should be on most of the day. Just let me know if anyone gets a group together. I find groups of people that actually want to boost helps prevent the killing people crap.

It's funny how hard it is for some people to step in and out of a circle.

I guess I shouldn't be suprised.

You put your right foot in,
You put your right foot out;
You put your right foot in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

[quote name='BackInBlack']It's funny how hard it is for some people to step in and out of a circle.

I guess I shouldn't be suprised.[/QUOTE]

That's funny and so true. My last match this morning. 4 of the 5 people went in and out correctly. The fifth guy on the other hand was so delayed he went in as we went out. It made it take forever. We kept telling him just dont go in but he wouldn't listen.

Just wondering if anyone wants to do this as well, just send me a message here on cag with your gamertag and I'll make sure to add you. I'll be on all day Sat and Sun, so msg me.

I find trying to coordinate 2 groups is more trouble than it's worth.

Edit: I take that back. Realized another from my group was from the same state. I hosted a match, instantly got a bot match since i have DSL i suppose, then it only took our other group 2 tries to join.

Last edited by a moderator:
So as someone who has been off of Gears for awhile now what is the quickest way to rank up this weekend? I'm not opposed to boosting but if I play some what legit (ie alone) what's the best game type?

[quote name='Kevlar281']So as someone who has been off of Gears for awhile now what is the quickest way to rank up this weekend? I'm not opposed to boosting but if I play some what legit (ie alone) what's the best game type?[/QUOTE]

It honestly depends on what you're comfortable with if going for a 100% legit 100. Wingman is the most difficult game type but it pumps out the most experience in exchange for often ending up on the receiving end of host bridging teams. Guardian and Annex offer decent exp gains as well.

I'd recommend just skipping through all the potential bullshit and bouncing from game to game on Social until you find a decent boosting session. It's a little boring but worth the trouble.

[quote name='Matt Young']I was planning to only play a couple games and then try to sleep anyway since I had been up for all but 2 hours of the last 50 up to that point, but even though I stopped playing, I was on for 6 more hours. Ink and I were talking, then some friends I know personally joined the conversation, and Franky came back, too. Gotta say, Ink.So.Well is one of the most fun dudes to talk to in the whole fuckin' world. Not that the others I mentioned aren't... I just hadn't really had a conversation like that with Ink before.
[/QUOTE]

Last night was definitely well worth the lack of sleep and your friends are f*cking hilarious. They remind me of a lot the guys I grew up with in my hometown which I guess is why we hit it off so well. I'm usually terrible at first impressions. I hope I didn't screw your day up in general though because I know how it is to have a shitty sleep schedule on top of a million obligations to fulfill. I'm usually a relatively quiet guy but around certain people I have the gift of gab and nothing short of a death threat could shut me up. >_>

Let me know if you want to tackle Firefight later this week. I'm down.

Though this is the Gears thread, I'd love to tackle a few more Firefight myself next week, we've been trying to set up matches/times in the ODST thread and no one ever seems to come on, so maybe we can work something out here.

I'd also like to get a chance to get in on some more boosting for this tonight, I asked Matt if there were any spots in your boosting party a few nights ago but he must've been busy and missed my message. Regardless, if anyone does GoW2 boosting late night tonight, I'd be down for a group.

How much exp can you typically get in a boosting match?

I just played for about 2 hours this morning and got from a 50 - 53 playing Annex(averaging about 5k points per match)

Is boosting easier?

[quote name='JohnBoy1280']How much exp can you typically get in a boosting match?

I just played for about 2 hours this morning and got from a 50 - 53 playing Annex(averaging about 5k points per match)

Is boosting easier?[/QUOTE]

About 450k in 40 minutes.

[quote name='Khalid']About 450k in 40 minutes.[/QUOTE]
wow that much eh? Then I have been going about it all wrong, maybe with boosting I can reach my target of level 75 - 80. You guys planning an sessions for later today, or is everything filled up?

Got Veteran Gear last night...thanks to all that helped. Anyone feel like going for the Annex and Wingman achievements legit? I could use a good wingman/annex partner. PM me or message me on XBL (GT: Shinobi Hanzo)

Awesome so using the handy Gears of War 2 calculator, I need
Level 53 to 75 requires 1,869,985 experience!

I think I should be able to manage that with a couple boosting sessions.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
Last night was definitely well worth the lack of sleep and your friends are f*cking hilarious. They remind me of a lot the guys I grew up with in my hometown which I guess is why we hit it off so well. I'm usually terrible at first impressions. I hope I didn't screw your day up in general though because I know how it is to have a shitty sleep schedule on top of a million obligations to fulfill. I'm usually a relatively quiet guy but around certain people I have the gift of gab and nothing short of a death threat could shut me up. >_>

Let me know if you want to tackle Firefight later this week. I'm down.[/QUOTE]

Well, I didn't have to do much of anything that was mentally taxing. I still was awake for a couple horus after I got off the Xbox. I feel okay now, and I've been up all night after sleeping till the afternoon. Went to a wrestling show last night. But yeah, we should do that again sometime. And I'm sure those guys would gladly add you if you wanted to send them a friend request.

[quote name='WTPolaris']Though this is the Gears thread, I'd love to tackle a few more Firefight myself next week, we've been trying to set up matches/times in the ODST thread and no one ever seems to come on, so maybe we can work something out here.

I'd also like to get a chance to get in on some more boosting for this tonight, I asked Matt if there were any spots in your boosting party a few nights ago but he must've been busy and missed my message. Regardless, if anyone does GoW2 boosting late night tonight, I'd be down for a group.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw that this morning on Xbox.com and responded. I'm sorry. I was out of it in general, and I'm pretty sure you sent the message after I had switched over to regular TV but still had the game on (not actually in an active game, obviously).

How late tonight for boosting? I can't promise how late I'll be up, but odds are I'll be available. I am supposed to be playing an MLB 10 league game at 11 Eastern if I'm up, but that's the only obligation I have.

And Firefight, we could do whenever starting Monday; maybe Sunday night. I doubt I'll play any Xbox games other than Gears while this XP thing's going on, though. Speaking of which, it's almost 11 A.M. now. If we can get a few people to commit to team up, I'll jump on. Right now, I'm just catching up on Smallville and enjoying the fact that I now have air conditioning.

[quote name='wjhard63']Got Veteran Gear last night...thanks to all that helped. Anyone feel like going for the Annex and Wingman achievements legit? I could use a good wingman/annex partner. PM me or message me on XBL (GT: Shinobi Hanzo)[/QUOTE]

I saw you on, but your room was full. I will try both with you, but not during the bonus XP since I just want to boost KOTH. Wingman, I suck at, so I need a lot of help. Annex, I am decent enough at playing, but I'm missing wins on 2 maps because everyone always vetoes them. not sure which ones... I'm not good about remembering the names of any maps in Gears/halo/COD/etc.

Also, Super Street Fighter IV. 'Nuff said.

It's not so bad when you are doing it with people that are talking and it's fun. I laughed at this. "I seriously hope no one ask me what I did this weekend". Just got 475k, I am level 95 now, maybe 3 more games.

[quote name='WTPolaris']Though this is the Gears thread, I'd love to tackle a few more Firefight myself next week, we've been trying to set up matches/times in the ODST thread and no one ever seems to come on, so maybe we can work something out here.
[/QUOTE]

That was a similiar case when it came out.

My remaining achievements:
- 3 wins in Wingman
- Beat the Meatflag (7 remaining)
- 10 rounds wins on Guardian
- Annex wins (5 remaining)
- 100,000 kills (73,000~ kills)

[quote name='KingBroly']My remaining achievements:
- 3 wins in Wingman
- Beat the Meatflag (7 remaining)
- 10 rounds wins on Guardian
- Annex wins (5 remaining)
- 100,000 kills (73,000~ kills)[/QUOTE]

Same for me (plus a few more, including level 100 obviously) except it's 2 Annex wins and 9 each for Guardian leader and Meatflag captures. I really suck as the leader in Guardian, and I just never really played Submission.

[quote name='Matt Young']Same for me (plus a few more, including level 100 obviously) except it's 2 Annex wins and 9 each for Guardian leader and Meatflag captures. I really suck as the leader in Guardian, and I just never really played Submission.[/QUOTE]
Actually Guardian is really easy just play social, and same thing for submission. Although let me warn you even submission against bots is extremely frustrating lol. Took me a good solid week just to get a good strategy going, and the right maps in rotation.

Anyway I still need to do the level 100 tomorrow its actually going to be level 80 for me cause 100 is going to take longer I guess then 4 hours.

I guess I'll have to be happy with level 80 for now

(from 55 - 80)

so who should I add in this thread that still needs the KOTH boost?

You could probably get a boosting party for Guardian and Submission going really easy if you had enough people. I do wonder if you could boost Wingman though.

Guardian leader isnt too hard if you have good people on your team. You just need to know where to camp, and if people come... RUN! But then again half the time i play NO ONE on my team sticks with me so if 2-3 guys come im dead.

[quote name='KingBroly']You could probably get a boosting party for Guardian and Submission going really easy if you had enough people. I do wonder if you could boost Wingman though.[/QUOTE]
You can do all the wingman achievements locally with a bunch of bots.

Still looking for people to do Horde. There are two of us right now, and I need to do Icy Dead People (1-50), No But His Face Rings a Bell (20), Am I Only Dreaming? (1-40), and Blood on the Sand (1-50). I figure maybe we can start on wave 19 for NBHFRB in order to gather some shields and not get destroyed on wave 20, then do any of the others.

[quote name='guyver2077']popped it in for a bit.. went from level 11 to 25 pretty easily just playing horde.[/QUOTE]Went from 25 to 43 after a few hours of horde. Couldn't find any joinable cags and the caggow GT didn't have any friends available. Was going to play a little longer, but some punk tried to kick in the front door of my house and ran off. I'll be ready and waiting tonite . . . so if I stop playing suddenly in a match with somebody you'll know why. If anyone is shooting for horde achievements LMK and we can knock some out.

After a 4 and 7 hour boosting sesh I got my Wings. Anyone need horde achievements?

I need Icy Dead people (1-50 on snowblind map)
Lost in translation(1-20 on way station)
Am I only Dreaming?(1-40 on memorial)
Blood on the Sand(1-50 on nowhere)

[quote name='Pirate331']You can do all the wingman achievements locally with a bunch of bots.

Still looking for people to do Horde. There are two of us right now, and I need to do Icy Dead People (1-50), No But His Face Rings a Bell (20), Am I Only Dreaming? (1-40), and Blood on the Sand (1-50). I figure maybe we can start on wave 19 for NBHFRB in order to gather some shields and not get destroyed on wave 20, then do any of the others.[/QUOTE]I'm down 10P or so EST. Did NBHFRB easy with four slackers last nite easy. U don't have to do that.

[quote name='sml_mndz']looking 2 boost. would like 2 get my wings 1st, but i'm down 4 sum horde. shoot me a MSG/FR. if interested.
GT: AGENT M 619[/QUOTE]
msg sent on xbl, gt is ironwilled so you dont delete it by mistake.:)

Too late for me to want to do anything tonight. But I'll pretty much be available all day tomorrow to do whatever.

I'm kinda in a tight spot regarding what to do with the 20x XP. On one hand since I still need my wings , boosting KOTH would be best , but since I'm only level 10 I'd probably have to play almost all day to do it. On the other hand since I still need most of the other multiplayer acheivements and all the horde achievements , I might be able to make some level progress that way while also making progress on the other achievements.

In other words I'm pretty much up for anything if anyone is interested.

If you got into a boosting game of KotH, a full game would give you roughly 475,000 XP (3 rounds) which would take a level 1 to about a level 50. Don't worry though, Epic said it'll probably go higher with later boosting events. I'm betting on the 3 year Gears 2 anniversary to have 50 times XP.

[quote name='KingBroly']If you got into a boosting game of KotH, a full game would give you roughly 475,000 XP (3 rounds) which would take a level 1 to about a level 50. Don't worry though, Epic said it'll probably go higher with later boosting events. I'm betting on the 3 year Gears 2 anniversary to have 50 times XP.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't heard them say anything about going higher with the XP. I thought everyone was speculating that this would most likely be the highest it'll go , although at this point it would be silly to do anything less. I don't doubt though that they will be doing more XP weekends since they want to keep focus on the game until Gears 3 comes out.

If they may end up doing more events with the around the same (or higher) XP bonuses then I'd rather work on getting the other multiplayer and horde achievements now and worry about level 100 later.

bread's done
Back