Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']hey do you know if i would be able to go in on sunday (tmrw) and do like an exchange, i purchased a few games but i was in a huge rush and there were some i'd have rather gotten, i'd just pay more but im short on cash now, would they allow an exchange of 2 games for another 2 of the sale games?[/QUOTE]

Of course! The only thing we do not do is cash back on purchases..but will always do an exchange. Just tell them you already own em'...I don't question that too much.

[quote name='io']
Yep, this is pretty much universal. One guy got it because it was mistagged and I think superdawn said it was $29.99 in her store's computer but that seems to be a fluke because every other report is that it is $34.99.[/QUOTE]

Animal Crossing for the Wii is listed in the computer twice...one for with the Wiispeak and one w/o.... Sooo...they could have accidentally placed the inventoried game as the one with the wiispeak which is $34.99 instead of placing it as the one w/o. that's my idea...but then again, it could also be that the price just completely varies.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

I'm also looking for a PS3 copy of LOTR: Conquest, if anyone happens to come across one. I passed up like 4-5 copies of it tonight(for 360) since I'm not sure if anyone would want to trade for it.[/QUOTE] I have a PS3 copy of this...I don't own a ps3 (yet). I haven't done any trades on here though...

[quote name='fei33']Does anybody know Hollywood Video's Hours for tomorrow (Sunday)? I went to the local one, but they never got restocked (Discount Game Zone with $19.99 games and under), am going to try my luck with the one across town tomorrow I think. I didn't get much from my local one, but did see a few games (I think somebody else hit it on Thursday since I saw no Street Fighter IV's which they had plenty of prior).

:wii:

Animal Crossing X2

:360:

Prince of Persia[/QUOTE]

Call...hours vary by store.

[quote name='EnronLackey']Man this is frustrating .. just pass by 2 of my fav non GC HV store close by me .. both of them locked up by the sheriff for failure to pay lease/rent. >

[quote name='io']I ventured into a part of town I don't usually go and struck gold at one store. I almost didn't go because the guy I talked to when I called (which I did to make sure the store still existed since 3 others I tried to call were gone!) told me they didn't have much left. Well, it's all relative I guess and I can only imagine what they did have on Thursday :drool:.

But, thanks partly to some massive mistags and people just simply overlooking stuff, I managed to get all the following there. It was great fun bringing a lot of $34.99 - $49.99 games up and having them actually be $29.99 or less:

:360:
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (tagged $49.99)
Phantasy Star Universe
Resident Evil 5 Collector's Edition (mint and tagged $44.99)

:ps3:
GTA IV
Midnight Club LA (tagged $34.99)
Saints Row 2 (tagged $34.99)
Sonic Unleashed
Street Fighter IV (tagged $49.99!)

:wii:
Bully
Mario & Sonic At The Olympics (tagged $39.99 - finally, one of the Mario Wii games qualifies)
Metal Slug Anthology
Resident Evil 4

:psp:
Class of Heroes
Star Wars Force Unleashed

:ps2:
MagnaCarta

And top it all off they are nearly all complete and in good shape. The clerk told me they do not convert rental games at this store and thus these were ALL trade-ins! In fact, he himself had traded the RE 5 CE :lol:

I then went to another store and thought I found a bunch more mistags but here some of the same stuff was ringing up over $29.99 (SF IV for one, and Halo Wars which I got the other day). So apparently the system is somewhat YMMV though it seems 95% of stores have the same pricing.

At this point, with the sale 3 days in (I was there late Saturday night), and it ending after tomorrow, it is time to clean up - don't let those games go to waste and return to their $24.99 or $29.99 pricing! At this point you aren't leaving them for anyone else since if they didn't get them already they aren't going to get them.

I'm kind of regretting that I didn't get more, actually. They had 6 copies of Mario & Sonic, more RE5, and some DS games I didn't pick up at all.[/QUOTE]

so you wanna snag me a copy of RE5 for like $8 shipped right? :D

[quote name='Mizzou75']so you wanna snag me a copy of RE5 for like $8 shipped right? :D[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm already in hot water at home for running out Saturday evening to go game shopping (went to GS in addition to HWV). That was on top of running out on Thanksgiving day to go to this sale initially. Plus this store is 20 miles away... So, yeah, that's not very likely. But that's whyt I encourage people to grab stuff at this point - someone here will surely want it. I should have just bought everything that looked interesting.

Scorch, you may find this interesting - I hit up a HWV that had just closed it's Gamecrazy side. It was strange. There were signs up saying all the games were 80% off. Inside the HWV (the GC part was completely closed off at this point) they had a table with boxes FULL of game discs in sleeves. Most of it was PS2 but they had a lot of the 360 bundle games (Sega Superstar Tennis, Kung-Fu Panda, Lego Indy) and a few other titles. I was tempted to get several things, but I just bought one copy of Kung-Fu Panda for $1.60. The disc was mint (but of course no case or manual). My kids wanted to play it again (we had rented it when it first came out) so I figured why not. I was there pretty late and had to rush through it - wish I had more time to scour the boxes more thoroughly as I only looked through about half the games.

Picked up the following for $4.99 each (after explaining to the clerk the coupon code still works):

iconwii.gif
:
de Blob

iconps3.gif
:
Heavenly Sword
Dead Space
Far Cry 2
GRID
Burnout Paradise
Soul Calibur IV
Trivial Pursuit

I remembered during the last $4.99 sale some people were getting games like midnight club for $5 while it rang up for other people over $29.99

Called a HWV store and its confirmed today is the last day. This store is basically in the middle of nowhere and seems to be untouched, the clerk said theyve got about 30 ps3 games I AM on MY WAY!! Lol

[quote name='io']Well, yeah, just like anywhere - they don't always keep the tags up to date (though they were horribly out of date at the one store I went to tonight). It doesn't hurt to ask, especially if they are games everyone else is talking about getting. But like I said, it can vary from store to store. The second place I went to tonight had Halo Wars and SF IV ring up $34.99 and I bought those on Thursday no problem from a different store.

Animal Crossing seems to be one that very few people are getting. I actually forgot to check that one at the store I went to yesterday. The ones tonight didn't have it at all.[/QUOTE]

well yeah i felt like all of the stuff at my HWV was horribly out of date prices, they had some fishing game marked at 50 dollars, and sonic marked at 40 for 360. lol.

i just always thought this hollywood video overpriced their games, for some reason never thought that they might have just mistagged them, which i should've realized lol.

thanks!, i gotta get back out today. anyone know when they close?

Very pleased. Picked up some flippable games (leaving multiple copies for people looking to purchase for themselves). Got 50 cent for myself (which I've wanted for a while).

[quote name='bgame2']Very pleased. Picked up some flippable games ([highlight]leaving multiple copies for people looking to purchase for themselves[/highlight]). Got 50 cent for myself (which I've wanted for a while).[/QUOTE]

Again, while that is a nice sentiment at the beginning of the sale, I say at this point it is fair game to snatch up anything and everything that you can flip or trade. It is the last day after all. If you can get $10-$15 for some of these at Gamestop (especially since they have that 40% bonus deal going on) you can turn those games you might not otherwise want into stuff you really do want from GS (especially if you do it today and hit the B2G1 there!).

Anybody know if star ocean (xbox 360)or twilight princess (gamecube) qualifies for this deal? Both were tagged at $34.99 last time I checked, but was too lazy to wait on the long line to have it scanned?

[quote name='zpoor17']Anybody know if star ocean (xbox 360)or twilight princess (gamecube) qualifies for this deal? Both were tagged at $34.99 last time I checked, but was too lazy to wait on the long line to have it scanned?[/QUOTE]

Both Versions of Twilight Princess should qualify, I don't think star ocean does though.

[quote name='zpoor17']Anybody know if star ocean (xbox 360)or twilight princess (gamecube) qualifies for this deal? Both were tagged at $34.99 last time I checked, but was too lazy to wait on the long line to have it scanned?[/QUOTE]

Too lazy to get in line, read the thread or call to ask. I'm surprised you weren't too lazy to type this up.

[quote name='shoe478']Too lazy to get in line, read the thread or call to ask. I'm surprised you weren't too lazy to type this up.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't purely laziness. There was a pretty lengthy line so I didn't want to stand on line only to find out that I wasted my time there since there was nothing else left at my store.

For whoever was asking, definitely found this sale at HWV's as well as MG's. Hit about 10 stores in the last 2 days, and found TONS of stuff; nicely coincided with the end of the tiered promo at GS...

Still finding lots of great stuff on the last day of this sale. Hit a couple HWVs that I haven't been to yet, and then went back to the 1st store that I visited on Thursday. Amazingly, still lots of great stuff there. Games such as Fight Night Rd 4 PS3, Ghostbusters 360, 50 cent 360 (lots of copies), Velvet Assassins, Mortal Kombat vs DC. I passed over some of them just because they weren't complete with original case and manual.

However, I did purchase complete mint copies of the following today -

PS3 -

Midnight Club LA
Saints Row 2
Uncharted
Ghostbusters
Chronicles of Riddick
Legends of Wrestlemania
Heavenly Sword

360 -

Halo Wars
Fear 2
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

Wii -

Zelda Twlight Princess

I know there are some others, but I just can't remember everything I bought. This sale has been a lot of fun, but kind of exhausting!

It's kinda late now, but if any of you west coasters could benefit, I just posted to the GS TIV thread awhile ago, with a ton of values for the more common HWV games.

It is sad that HWV can't sell out most of their games with this sale. I am pretty sure that mostly it is CAGs buying this stuff up (at least in my area). Which is great for us, not so great for HWV. It was absurd for them not to include this on their BF ad.

[quote name='io']Again, while that is a nice sentiment at the beginning of the sale, I say at this point it is fair game to snatch up anything and everything that you can flip or trade. It is the last day after all. If you can get $10-$15 for some of these at Gamestop (especially since they have that 40% bonus deal going on) you can turn those games you might not otherwise want into stuff you really do want from GS (especially if you do it today and hit the B2G1 there!).[/QUOTE]

That's a good point iO but the thing is about five minutes after I got there, this kid came in with his mom and his sister. They B-lined for the 4.99 rack but seemed a little surprised that certain games were mysteriously missing. I was about 5 feet away with a massive pile of games in my arms. I was trying to decide what I wanted so I grabbed everything of interest as soon as I got there. I felt like a jerk as I realized that maybe some other kids were also convincing their parents to bring them back to buy games before the sale ended.

[quote name='super_dawn']
I have a PS3 copy of this...I don't own a ps3 (yet). I haven't done any trades on here though.[/QUOTE]

I'll take it if you're willing to get rid of it. As for being a newbie trader/seller, we all start somewhere.

Went to another HWV and found a gold mine (compared to what was in my area) and picked up:

Xbox 360

Fable 2
Gears of War CE (complete with everything!)
Supreme Commander
PoP
Fear 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
GTA 4

PS3

Soul Caliber 4
Army of 2
The Bigs 2

No wii games. Ended up flipping a number of the games to get 80 in credit, then used 50 of it to get the gf her xmas gift. Kept Gears CE, PoP and Fear 2 for myself. Spent 50, kept 3 games I wanted, took care of the gf and still had 30 in store credit. Now I've got to get started on my new backlog...

Well this was the first I'd heard of this sale when I checked the thread about 90 min ago. So I immediately left the house for my local HWV. Sadly, the only games they had for sale were the crap leftover from the GC that closed there a few weeks ago. I was just looking for 360 games and found dozens of Kung Fu Panda. Almost as many Lego Indy. And several NFL Head Coach 09. It was all 80% off so I got Virtua Tennis 3 for $2.

So I went to another store and found a little bit better selection. But not much better. Walked outta there with SFIV (360) & Mario and Sonic Olympics. That's what I get for not checking this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Street Fighter 4 i'd be willing to trade for Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead or Halo Wars. PM me if anyone is interested.

someone should start up a trade thread for this

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'll take it if you're willing to get rid of it. As for being a newbie trader/seller, we all start somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I saw it for $9.99 at BBV.

The Black Friday $5.00 games deal is (supposed to be) now dead. If you can still get in on this deal, it is totally YMMV as the deal is now (officially) dead.

Wheeling and dealing may be done in this thread, too. Just don't get too crazy by posting your entire collection. Just stuff you think may interest others, or upon request.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']The Black Friday $5.00 games deal is (supposed to be) now dead. If you can still get in on this deal, it is totally YMMV as the deal is now (officially) dead.

Wheeling and dealing may be done in this thread, too. Just don't get too crazy by posting your entire collection. Just stuff you think may interest others, or upon request.[/QUOTE]
Really? Because I doubt that at 7:30 PST every store is closed. Get out there West Coast CAGs.

[quote name='ackbar7']Really? Because I doubt that at 7:30 PST every store is closed. Get out there West Coast CAGs.[/QUOTE]

D'oh. Was thinking it was Monday at first.

So I'm beginning to realize that no CAGers live in my city so I basically have pick of the litter at all of these insane sales.
Scored tons but top hits were:

360: Velvet Assassin, Hawx, Ninja Blade, Wanted, Dead Space, FEAR 2, Afro Samurai
Wii: Boom Blox Bash, Wii Music, WarioLand Shake It, Big Brain Acad., My Sims Kingdom, SimAnimals (all for the kids)

Was hoping to score Bioshock (missed it last year) but I'm not complaining.
One store had literally over a hundred PS3 games, but alas, I don't have one and didn't take the time to harvest for trade.

Nonetheless, I get a freaky high from getting games this cheap. Just wish others in my city would benefit from these deals.

[quote name='Morplett']

Nonetheless, I get a freaky high from getting games this cheap. Just wish others in my city would benefit from these deals.[/QUOTE]

No you don't, because you won't get the deals then.

[quote name='shoe478']I saw it for $9.99 at BBV.[/QUOTE]

My local Blockbusters didn't have this and I completely missed this during the last $5 sale and during this one.:roll:

It's not that I want it that bad, but if the price is right I'm going to grab it. For $5 the price was right and for under $10 shipped I might take a copy.:D

Big thanks to Super_Dawn for letting us know about this sale. I can't believe that Hollywood Video didn't advertise it more. There were no signs in my store and even some of the employees had no idea it was going on. There was pretty much no way to know it was going on here unless you read it on CAG or happened to stop by on Thanksgiving and ran into the right employee. Thanks again!

[quote name='ackbar7']Really? Because I doubt that at 7:30 PST every store is closed. Get out there West Coast CAGs.[/QUOTE]

Indeed - on a whim I stopped by a store at 8pm Pacific that I was just at on Saturday afternoon. They had almost nothing left but they had about 6 copies of 50 Cent and I figured if they were still there I'd grab 'em for trade-ins at the last minute. Well, they were still there but on top of that they had restocked a TON of other games! The guy I talked to before was there and he told me he personally went to a Gamecrazy and grabbed a ton for transfer. He said they sold a lot of it already - so once again, considering the selection was staggering I can only imagine what they had earlier :drool:.

While I was checking out someone called in about a game he was supposed to transfer for them from Gamecrazy - damn, had I known they would do that I would have put in some requests too. The funny thing is that just before I went there I was at Gamecrazy and one of the employees there told me next time they have this sale to let him know what I want and he would transfer the games to my local HWV :shock:. That's nice, but I wish he had said this the other day when I was in there. This GC is chock full of awesome $29.99 and under games. It may be late spring/summer before they do this again if at all.

And to put to rest the Animal Crossing thing, it was $34.99 at both this store AND at Gamecrazy. I think superdawn, you are right about the two different versions, but I think HWV has it backwards and has the Wii Speak one priced at $29.99 - so the mistag is if they mark a regular version with the Wii Speak bar code. I just can't imagine that every store I've been to here as well as many stores other CAGs have been to, have been mistagging them as the Wii Speak version.

I also realized that I got lucky getting that RE 5 CE for $5 yesterday. This store had one too, also marked $49.99 - but it had a different bar code than the regular version (that specifically said "CE" on it). So the other store had mistagged it as a regular one.

Anyway, I didn't pick up anything mindblowing tonight, but it was nice to be able to get something other than 50 Cent (though I did get one of those just for variety ;)).

[quote name='Morplett']
Wii: Boom Blox Bash, Wii Music, WarioLand Shake It, Big Brain Acad., My Sims Kingdom, SimAnimals (all for the kids)[/QUOTE]

This is the sort of stuff I mostly missed out on despite all the stores I went to. There was a ton of 360 stuff, and a fair amount of PS3 stuff, but the Wii games were on par with the DS and PSP - scarce or none at all at most places. It could be that families grabbed those before the other stuff though and I just never got to it in time. Would have loved a Boom Blox Bash Party (and they had that at GC that I would have transferred had I known I could do so).

It is really too bad they couldn't have run this sale for at least a full week. Man, to think what I could have accomplished if I could get games transferred from Gamecrazy :drool:.

[quote name='J7.']Is it confirmed the sale is over?[/QUOTE]

I was told by 2 or 3 clerks I dealt with yesterday that it would and after today and was encouraged by the employees at the store I was at tonight to buy as much as I could as it was ending when they closed.

So, in my experience, yes, it was confirmed. That doesn't mean they won't decide to extend it or run it again soon, but I think for now it is dead ('cept maybe for a few stores in Hawaii at this time of night - if they even have any there ;)).

I am terribly jealous. I wish the only HWV around me in a 100m radius still stocked used games. Driving 300+ miles for some of these deals seems a bit out of the way. I'd do it, but only if I needed to make a trip for something else.

Because of the lack of attention this deal got in many areas I could see them doing it again soon with a little more publicity. This deal earlier in the year cleaned out pretty much every HWV in the area, not so much this time. It'd be nice if they did this in the week or so before Christmas. Wasn't the 3.99 deal going at that time last year?

Yeah, the $3.99 deal (which only applied to last-gen games) was running around Christmas. The $4.99 one (on all games under $30) ran in the summer, right? And those are the only times they've done this sort of thing till now. So 3 times total in a year. Hopefully they bring it back sooner the next time though. Now I know to keep an eye on that one store as I think I heard they restocked near the end last time too, but I never made it up there. The manager of my local store restocked last time and said he would do so again this time but completely failed to do so. He said he got rejected by all the Gamecrazy stores. Funny how this other store managed to being in a big-ass haul just afterwards... And it was by no means the worst of the worst of the GC stock - several of the games I got tonight look brand new. The stuff my local manager got in last time was mostly disc-only refurb-requiring dreck (some of which is still sitting there to this day).

[quote name='dinovelvet']Had a moderate haul, no Prototype or Halo Wars high end stuff, [/QUOTE]

Prototype is high end? I actually found a Prototype but didn't know it was worth anything. I'm trying to sell it on Craigslist for like 16 bucks, but not getting any takers so far. I was really trying to find Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space and some other games, but came up empty. I'm not interested in Prototype in the least, but figured it make decent trade bait.

[quote name='io']I was told by 2 or 3 clerks I dealt with yesterday that it would and after today and was encouraged by the employees at the store I was at tonight to buy as much as I could as it was ending when they closed.

So, in my experience, yes, it was confirmed. That doesn't mean they won't decide to extend it or run it again soon, but I think for now it is dead ('cept maybe for a few stores in Hawaii at this time of night - if they even have any there ;)).[/QUOTE]

No stores in Hawaii, as a result Gamestop does not run the trade in promos like here in CA. The funny thing was that you could find new and used copies of ski doo, dark spire, space chimps, emma in the mountains at almost every store I went to.

Well I had unbelievable 4.99 sale this time around. The store that had the transfers from another closed store, hardly sold any games after day 1...mostly employees on the first day I think. I cleaned house! I just got back from my last run at closing time and walked out with a trash bag full of games. The guy who was helping me said no one knew about it and the people who came in to rent videos didn't care about the sale. This was ironic after witnessing the mad house at GS over the weekend. I did find the Holy Grail of the sale.....It was a DS copy of Mario Kart that had no box. I saw it as he was flipping though discs to find a different game for me. I got it for $5 and traded it in to GS for $30 after %50 bump. It paid for half of the used DS lite I got for my wife.

Also I was able to get a copy of Animal Crossings Wii at the sale. It was marked 24.99 but scanned at 34.99. The guy manually adjusted it for me.
It will go with the wii speak i found at Walmart for $1 a couple weeks ago.

It is confirmed that the deal is over. If your HWV is closed, its over. As I said before (it actually makes sense now haha) if you are able to get in on this tomorrow it is just YMMV. It is "offcially" over.

[quote name='ackbar7']It is sad that HWV can't sell out most of their games with this sale. I am pretty sure that mostly it is CAGs buying this stuff up (at least in my area). Which is great for us, not so great for HWV. It was absurd for them not to include this on their BF ad.[/QUOTE

I agree...their misteps are that of a sinking company. I thought it was wierd that they would offer $4.99 games at HWV and at the same time offer 30% bumps at GC over the same weekend. WTF

[quote name='regis100']

iconps3.gif
:
Dead Space
[/QUOTE]

Bummer! I put the disc in and it says "EA demos" on the XMB. Either someone put a Dead Space sticker on the disc and traded it in maliciously or it's just a faulty disc. Either way, I guess I'll have to take it back.

bread's done
Back