Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
super_dawn.....YES!!! You are SUPER. Thanks for the heads up. I was regretting not buying a bunch of games last time.

[quote name='io']Well, holy crap, now I can take up that GC guy's offer to have some stuff transferred! And I also know which store to keep an eye on - they got two huge transfers just during that last small sale and, in fact, still probably have a lot of it left over. I'll need to go there first. My local store has squat right now unless Star Ocean drops to $29.99 :pray:.[/QUOTE]

So the HWV that has these sales in my city is about 10 minutes away from a GC, how would I go about requesting a game for the upcoming sale from that GC store? I want to get some games for my PS3... but I don't want to spend excess money on said games if I can get them for cheap.

[quote name='Gbear09']super_dawn, I heart you :) [/QUOTE]

hahaha... ;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Interesting. How long does it take for games to be transferred from a Gamecrazy to a HWV? If so, I'd love to request that the one local shop has a copy of LOTR: Conquest brought in and a few other games I've missed from the last 3-4 sales.[/QUOTE]

and

[quote name='skateraXVIII']So the HWV that has these sales in my city is about 10 minutes away from a GC, how would I go about requesting a game for the upcoming sale from that GC store? I want to get some games for my PS3... but I don't want to spend excess money on said games if I can get them for cheap.[/QUOTE]

NO idea. I really wish I could help you guys out on the GC front...but I honestly have never been to a gamecrazy before! I think there used to be some GC in Miami..but I really don't know. I always wanted to work at one instead of hwv (for obvious reasons)..but none around me.

[quote name='io']

This has been going on since the summer here. I thought it was just a summer promo and was surprised they extended it when school started. In fact, I just returned a (free) SpongeBob DVD my son had been eyeing back when it was $2.99. They didn't have all that great a selection during the summer but it seems to have gotten better. One stellar standout title that anyone should get (kids or not) is My Neighbor Totoro. Most of the rest was Thomas Tank Engine and Pokemon type stuff. My kids used to be really into Thomas (I have a bunch of VHS tapes) so I got one for my 2 year-old thinking he might like it but he didn't seem too interested.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. Yea...my last store I worked at had the free kids rental thing going on but that was back when we had vhs free kids rentals..lol...ah memories. Must vary from store to store then. Good to know.

A question, it may have been answered. Now back in the day, there were Hollywood Videos with the Game Crazy stores that of course did not qualify for this deal. AZ was hit pretty hard with GC closings, so I'm curious, do the stores, that used to have GCs attached, do they run this sale? I called and asked a few and they didn't even know of the sale. Two stores even told me they don't sell games at all (so do they ship their games to a Game Crazy or something...?) So, did anyone run into a Hollywood Video running the sale that formerly had a GC attached to it?

Dam, I missed an awesome sale! I wished I had checked this thread sooner :wall:

Well I wonder if theres even gonna be any good games left if I check this Thursday when the sale hits again.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']A question, it may have been answered. Now back in the day, there were Hollywood Videos with the Game Crazy stores that of course did not qualify for this deal. AZ was hit pretty hard with GC closings, so I'm curious, do the stores, that used to have GCs attached, do they run this sale? I called and asked a few and they didn't even know of the sale. Two stores even told me they don't sell games at all (so do they ship their games to a Game Crazy or something...?) So, did anyone run into a Hollywood Video running the sale that formerly had a GC attached to it?[/QUOTE]
I would like to know as well.

Thanks

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']A question, it may have been answered. Now back in the day, there were Hollywood Videos with the Game Crazy stores that of course did not qualify for this deal. AZ was hit pretty hard with GC closings, so I'm curious, do the stores, that used to have GCs attached, do they run this sale? I called and asked a few and they didn't even know of the sale. Two stores even told me they don't sell games at all (so do they ship their games to a Game Crazy or something...?) So, did anyone run into a Hollywood Video running the sale that formerly had a GC attached to it?[/QUOTE]

I went to two HWVs that closed their Gamecrazy sections recently, and neither had any used games during the sale.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']So the HWV that has these sales in my city is about 10 minutes away from a GC, how would I go about requesting a game for the upcoming sale from that GC store? I want to get some games for my PS3... but I don't want to spend excess money on said games if I can get them for cheap.[/QUOTE]

The thing with GC was just a guy working there that has known me for a long time (just from shopping there). He offered this to me kind of on the sly - he told me not to ask anyone else in the store. So I think it is highly unlikely you can just ask for this though I suppose it doesn't hurt. He told me this on the last day of the sale and it was too late - I figured there wouldn't be another for quite a while. I'm going to try to get some of the obscure DS stuff they have transferred - just not sure how to time it. For one thing, the right guy has to be working, then I need to make sure they get to my local store when the sale starts. And hopefully they will play along and hold them for me.

You may have more luck asking the Hollywood video people to get games transferred in from Gamecrazy. I was in a HWV that had gotten a huge transfer from a GC and apparently they had picked up a few things for various customers on request. I may try this with that same store. I just need to think of some good $29.99 games I'd want :whistle2:k...

I went to one that had a closed off GC last weekend and the only games they had were a TON of disc-only games in boxes in the middle of the store. They were all 80% off. I picked up a 360 Kung-Fu Panda for a buck and change. They didn't have any regular used games though as they lacked a Gamezone since they used to have the GC there. So I think that is going to be the main problem with the stores with closed GC's - they don't even have the small Gamezone section in them so they most likely sent off all their game stock if they weren't clearly still selling it like this one was. So even though they had the 80% off they did not have the $4.99 deal (since a few things were still more than $5 even after 80% off).

Superdawn do you know if the sale this Thursday is a widespread sale or it is to be limited to certain stores, like you had heard rumored about for Dec 4th? And thanks!

Dammit. :bomb: What happened to the list of $29.99 and under games in the first post that qualified for the $4.99 sale?!?!?!?! I was hoping to copy that and ask for some of the better ones to be transferred from GC to a local HWV before the sale supposedly goes live again this Thursday.

:bomb::bomb::bomb:

I just got off the phone with the manager of the one local HWV and he verified that the $4.99 sale is indeed coming back for this Thursday.

Sweet. I was away for thanksgiving but still did pretty well. I think I'll miss that store I was near though--they were absolutely loaded and the manager said he went around to the 3x close by GCs to pick them over for stock.

Last time my local stores were a bit low on stock but all the games were in terrific condition. Good luck everyone. Dawn--any sense of how long this will run?

It should work, Gbear09, as long as you have it on a gift card. But if it's locked to an account at Gamecrazy, then you may have to have it transferred to the store you want to use it at.

That's what Blockbuster typically does, but I'm not sure if HWV does the same deal.

since the last sale was just over a week ago... does that mean that for the new sale coming up it's likely that stock will be kind of cleaned out still?

i know it was posted earlier by super dawn that game rental conversions are YMMV... im just wondering if any of the hwvs will still have anything good since the ones in my area aren't too close of a drive

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Dammit. :bomb: What happened to the list of $29.99 and under games in the first post that qualified for the $4.99 sale?!?!?!?! I was hoping to copy that and ask for some of the better ones to be transferred from GC to a local HWV before the sale supposedly goes live again this Thursday.
[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6501151&postcount=315 ---post about game list. I may try to go thru the thread and add to this list if I have time. I noticed the op was never updated with the new pv movie list anyway.

[quote name='Gbear09']Hmmm I've got some game crazy credit, will that work at HWV?[/QUOTE]

They will just have to put it onto a giftcard so that you may use it at any location.

[quote name='J7.']Superdawn do you know if the sale this Thursday is a widespread sale or it is to be limited to certain stores, like you had heard rumored about for Dec 4th? And thanks![/QUOTE]

Like I mentioned before...I'll find out tomorrow all the details when I stop by. I just live too far to go there all the time. ;) oh the rumor was just that we were receiving the signs for the sale on dec. 4th...I had no idea until sunday when we'd do the sale again.

[quote name='io']The thing with GC was just a guy working there that has known me for a long time (just from shopping there). He offered this to me kind of on the sly - he told me not to ask anyone else in the store. So I think it is highly unlikely you can just ask for this though I suppose it doesn't hurt. He told me this on the last day of the sale and it was too late - I figured there wouldn't be another for quite a while. I'm going to try to get some of the obscure DS stuff they have transferred - just not sure how to time it. For one thing, the right guy has to be working, then I need to make sure they get to my local store when the sale starts. And hopefully they will play along and hold them for me.

You may have more luck asking the Hollywood video people to get games transferred in from Gamecrazy. I was in a HWV that had gotten a huge transfer from a GC and apparently they had picked up a few things for various customers on request. I may try this with that same store. I just need to think of some good $29.99 games I'd want :whistle2:k...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I figured that I would have to ask a HWV employee to get games transferred from GC.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Dammit. :bomb: What happened to the list of $29.99 and under games in the first post that qualified for the $4.99 sale?!?!?!?! I was hoping to copy that and ask for some of the better ones to be transferred from GC to a local HWV before the sale supposedly goes live again this Thursday.

:bomb::bomb::bomb:

I just got off the phone with the manager of the one local HWV and he verified that the $4.99 sale is indeed coming back for this Thursday.[/QUOTE]

I think that there is a list of games a few pages back that Super_Dawn posted that have a $29.99 price or lower. Most of them are really top notch.

[quote name='Gbear09']Hmmm I've got some game crazy credit, will that work at HWV?[/QUOTE]

I asked this question while I was at my local GC and they said they would put the credit on a gift card. The thing is that I had $5.72 credit at GC but they would have only been able to put $5.00 on the card, so I decided to just keep the credit on my account. Their gift cards are probably at $5, $10, $25, $50, etc. intervals maybe that's why they wouldn't give me that extra $0.72 on the card...

[quote name='skateraXVIII']
I asked this question while I was at my local GC and they said they would put the credit on a gift card. The thing is that I had $5.72 credit at GC but they would have only been able to put $5.00 on the card, so I decided to just keep the credit on my account. Their gift cards are probably at $5, $10, $25, $50, etc. intervals maybe that's why they wouldn't give me that extra $0.72 on the card...[/QUOTE]

It's just to the round dollar, for whatever reason they can't put spare change on a gift card. For example, you can get a gift card for $1, $2, $3, etc...

[quote name='skateraXVIII']
I asked this question while I was at my local GC and they said they would put the credit on a gift card. The thing is that I had $5.72 credit at GC but they would have only been able to put $5.00 on the card, so I decided to just keep the credit on my account. Their gift cards are probably at $5, $10, $25, $50, etc. intervals maybe that's why they wouldn't give me that extra $0.72 on the card...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='converse']It's just to the round dollar, for whatever reason they can't put spare change on a gift card. For example, you can get a gift card for $1, $2, $3, etc...[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys for mentioning! This is correct...round to the nearest dollar. I had one guy that had $19.85 in trade-in credit...I had him give me the extra .15 cents so we could put it all on a $20 gift card. ;)

[quote name='super_dawn']Thanks guys for mentioning! This is correct...round to the nearest dollar. I had one guy that had $19.85 in trade-in credit...I had him give me the extra .15 cents so we could put it all on a $20 gift card. ;)[/QUOTE]

I congratulate you on knowing how to do this, ad it seems to be a rare skill among Gamecrazy clerks - I wouldn't even dream of asking a regular HWV clerk to do this as they rarely deal with trade-in credit. I gave up long ago worrying about the pennies on my various GC store accounts because most of the clerks I asked to do this either didn't know how or took a long time to figure it out, or worse, somehow would screw up my card and then have to call in to a number to get it straightened out and it takes 20-30 minutes more. I've long since decided that getting the 40 or 50 or 80 cents more on the card is not worth the potentially wasted time ;).

Anyway, I'm going to have to go browse my local GC and pick out some titles and either ask the one guy if he is there or bring a list to the good HWV to see if they can acquire them for me. I'll try to jot down anything that seems interesting at the $29.99 price point and post it here - the GC store is usually pretty on top of pricing compared to the regular stores so there might be a few new drops to be found.

Thanks for that list, Dawn. But F.E.A.R. 2 for PS3(and Wheelman for 360) needs to be added to the list as I just picked it up during the last $4.99 sale. Mind you, most of that PS3 list is pretty bleh, but as long as they all qualify for the +$5 bonus @ Gamestop I'll be happy.

[quote name='io']I congratulate you on knowing how to do this, ad it seems to be a rare skill among Gamecrazy clerks - I wouldn't even dream of asking a regular HWV clerk to do this as they rarely deal with trade-in credit. I gave up long ago worrying about the pennies on my various GC store accounts because most of the clerks I asked to do this either didn't know how or took a long time to figure it out, or worse, somehow would screw up my card and then have to call in to a number to get it straightened out and it takes 20-30 minutes more. I've long since decided that getting the 40 or 50 or 80 cents more on the card is not worth the potentially wasted time ;).[/QUOTE]

;) Yea..I don't think the average hwv employee would do this. I'm sure at one point I was even stumped on it. Now I think of it just as common sense.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Thanks for that list, Dawn. But F.E.A.R. 2 for PS3(and Wheelman for 360) needs to be added to the list as I just picked it up during the last $4.99 sale. Mind you, most of that PS3 list is pretty bleh, but as long as they all qualify for the +$5 bonus @ Gamestop I'll be happy.[/QUOTE]

:) I hope to have some time after I get off work (my other job..shhh! don't tell anyone I'm on here. ;)) to update the game list... yes, hopefully some more games are now qualified for the sale.

I had them check inFamous for PS3 and unfortunately, it's still $34.99 used at HWV, which kinda sucks since MSRP is $39.99 now for it.:roll: I'm getting so tempted by that GoHastings.com 30% off used/pre-played sale, since the game would be $22 and change before shipping and possible tax.

[quote name='The SPism']since the last sale was just over a week ago... does that mean that for the new sale coming up it's likely that stock will be kind of cleaned out still?
[/QUOTE]

Thats what I am thinking. They are trying to get rid of all the leftover stock from the previous 4.99 sale. They may want to drop the price to $2.49 for that to happen.

They may indeed be just trying to eliminate the stock from the last $5 sale, since they still had TONS of leftovers at the end of the last sale at one of my local stores. Most of it was disc only in paper sleeves, though they did have a box full of cases/manuals/artwork for some of them, so there may be some hope of finding a complete copy still at this point.

But most of it was shit I wouldn't want, even at $2 a pop(Motorstorm, Oblivion), so hopefully they'll get in a few better titles. Hopefully this 'snowstorm' they're predicting for the Northeast will hold off till Friday so I can hit up HWV on Thursday bright and early for the sale.

I pretty much cleaned out a certain store, so I doubt they would've re-stocked by Thursday. Still going out though! Thanks super_dawn!

This sale is a great way to flip games. Last time I spent $20 on 4 games and ended up flipping them for a total of $60. 300% profit is pretty good IMO. The only thing I wish was that I could actually find some games that I don't already have in my collection. Hopefully this time around there will be a little more variety in the game selection at my local HWV.

On a side note did anybody have to get their games scanned individually for the BF sale?

[quote name='skateraXVIII']On a side note did anybody have to get their games scanned individually for the BF sale?[/QUOTE]
One store I went to had a hard time with this and had to manually adjust all but one of the games I got. They were pretty hesitant (I was buying 18 games) but eventually did it for me. The 2 other stores I went to did not have this problem.

[quote name='super_dawn']

:) I hope to have some time after I get off work (my other job..shhh! don't tell anyone I'm on here. ;)) to update the game list... yes, hopefully some more games are now qualified for the sale.[/QUOTE]

Any chance Fallout 3 PS3 is now $29.99 (or less?). I think that's the only thing I'd bother going back for, unless there are reports of a whole lot of markdowns or mass rental conversions.

Great news that the $5.00 games are coming back.

To dinovelvet: There is somewhat is a possibility because some stores list their prices differently from others, but usually the game is still $34.99, sorry.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Any chance Fallout 3 PS3 is now $29.99 (or less?). I think that's the only thing I'd bother going back for, unless there are reports of a whole lot of markdowns or mass rental conversions.[/QUOTE]

On thanksgiving it was over $29.99

[quote name='super_dawn']

They will just have to put it onto a giftcard so that you may use it at any location.

[/QUOTE]

Yup I got them to put it on one of those gamecrazy gift cards, so I should be good, right?

[quote name='Gbear09']Yup I got them to put it on one of those gamecrazy gift cards, so I should be good, right?[/QUOTE]

They are sister stores so yes, this should be fine. :)

[quote name='skateraXVIII']This sale is a great way to flip games. Last time I spent $20 on 4 games and ended up flipping them for a total of $60. 300% profit is pretty good IMO. The only thing I wish was that I could actually find some games that I don't already have in my collection. Hopefully this time around there will be a little more variety in the game selection at my local HWV.

On a side note did anybody have to get their games scanned individually for the BF sale?[/QUOTE]

On BF the clerk had no idea this sale was going on and I did. I Luckily found the sign hidden backwards in the store. She claimed that was and old sale, I showed here the valid dates on the sign and then she said " i'll do it what's the worse they can do fire me?" She had no idea how to ring them in so she manually changed prices on all my purchases, it took forever with the 7 games I found. But in the end CAG's win again! :cool:

I hit the last stand alone HWV in my area, Easton Ave. in Bethlehem, PA. The store in Nazareth, PA closed last week. The other 2 HWV's are with GC's, so they don't run the sale. The store only had a few current gen games out, mostly was PS2 stuff. However, I did find 1 copy of Dead Space 360 for $5, so I was happy. They had at least 10 copies of GTA 4 if someone wanted it.

omega

Well Houston, TX and surrounding area have become Hollywood Video wasteland .. all the stores within the city limits closed down due to not paying the lease to just store closure .. I actually have to go about 40 miles one way (Baytown, TX) in order to see if they have anything worth having in stock. Houston CAGs let me know otherwise.

Does anybody know whether the Wii games Super Mario Galaxy or Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn qualify for this sale? Last time I saw them tagged, they were both $39.99. Would be nice to pick both of these up.

bread's done
Back