Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kuroi_kenshi']I may go scope out my HWV to see if there will be anything worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

Yup...that's what I did today.I needed to find more games to add to my target $10 off coupon hauls so I could take advantage of GS tiered bonus trades.

The selection varied by store. 2 stores ad nothing new - basically what was left from the last sale plus a few trade ins. One store had rentals that were sent in from a closed store,200+ . The last store also has atleast 200 games sitting on the counter behind the register. These were also transfered in but has sat there for more than a month. No prices, not being rented, justing sitting back there....making me sick.haha

Found 2x Resistance 2 - $10.00 (wierd pricing)
2x Lego batman PS3 - 7.99
mass effect and mirrors edge PS3 (both for me) 14.99 ea.

All qualified for 3 for $15 sale. Today was my BF warm up.

Definatley making an early trip to HWV this year. Was going to jump on gears 2 for 20 bucks at eb, but ill give it a shot at hwv first. L4d and gears 2 for 5 bucks, can't beat it. Interested in some other stuff too so well see what I come up with

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Definatley making an early trip to HWV this year. Was going to jump on gears 2 for 20 bucks at eb, but ill give it a shot at hwv first. L4d and gears 2 for 5 bucks, can't beat it. Interested in some other stuff too so well see what I come up with[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know what time HV will open on BF? I may as well check and see what they have.

[quote name='sixghost']I just wanted to make sure of this before black friday, but do the rental copies qualify for the under 29.99 used deal?[/QUOTE]

No, they are generally in a different section than the used games for the sale.

That 3 for $15 is that any system or just older ones, cause the girl at the counter said it was just older ones. She's new though so I won't be mad if she was wrong.

If it's for ANY system, I may well make a trek to my local HWV stores BEFORE Black Friday and try to find some $15 games that qualify for the PS3(probably all last year's sports crap only though)and grab some games before the BF sale.

Ok, so this $29.99 and under for $4.99 BF sale will be going on at all HWV's WITHOUT GameCrazy, right?

Will it be at Movie Gallery stores?

I checked on PS3 Heavenly Sword and its priced used for $29.99..so it qualifies. Normal hours on black friday for my store (11am).

I can't recall if the 3 for $15 was all used games...I think it was actually.

Nothing in the market guide yet about the BF sale... all I've seen is the barcode for it. No dates/times.

Movie gallery will most likely be doing it . At least my local ones always run the sales together.

I stopped by HW today and I don't know if it is just my store but they are being pricks with their pricing. Every decent older used game is marked 17.99. There is only one decent game at 14.99 so the entire deal is blown for me. Bastards.

What is the used price for PS3 Fallout 3?

I ask because I saw one marked at $49.99, but then I noticed there was a Golden Axe next to it also marked at $49.99, and I know that's not right!

[quote name='shoe478']My HWV employees never know about a deal on day 1. I figure they will find out about the BF deal sometime in December.[/QUOTE]

LOL That's what I figure will happen with one of the two HWV stores by me.

Then again, I checked there yesterday and they had shit as far as PS3 selection went, so unless they get more stuff in that store is gonna be a dead zone on BF.

[quote name='dinovelvet']What is the used price for PS3 Fallout 3?

I ask because I saw one marked at $49.99, but then I noticed there was a Golden Axe next to it also marked at $49.99, and I know that's not right![/QUOTE]
When I went to HWV a few days ago, It was marked $34.99... :cry:

Ya know, even though it's $15 more than you'd be paying if it qualifies for the $5 BF sale, I believe Best Buy is putting Fallout 3 on sale for $19.99 on BF.

And if you get a clueless clerk on BF, maybe you could sneak in a copy of the GOTY edition and get the version with the expansions for $20.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Ya know, even though it's $15 more than you'd be paying if it qualifies for the $5 BF sale, I believe Best Buy is putting Fallout 3 on sale for $19.99 on BF.

And if you get a clueless clerk on BF, maybe you could sneak in a copy of the GOTY edition and get the version with the expansions for $20.[/QUOTE]

Pretty doubtful. They are different SKUs, so it wouldn't ring up for $19.99, and if you pulled out the ad to argue, the clerk might notice that it specifically says "excludes game of the year edition" right under the pic.

I suppose it's worth a try, but don't hold your breath.

Could an HWV employee confirm that the sale starts on Friday instead of on Thursday? There's a thread on GameTZ by the friend of an HWV employee who says it starts on Thursday, and I'm not sure who's right.

Any ad scan for this deal? Also, is this just going on Friday or Thursday as well? Either way, what time are they going to open?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get all the details straight.

[quote name='GogetaSS4']I highly doubt that Hollywood Video will even be open on Thanksgiving. So I don't think it will start until Friday.[/QUOTE]

Why would you say that? HWV and BBV have always been open 365 days a year. Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas day are huge video renting days.

The big question is, does this sale start then or not? Thursday would be 100x more convenient for me than Friday. I don't even want to leave the house Friday and deal with the madness. But I could pop up to my HWV on Thursday easy enough before we start making dinner.

I don't know if the bar code they tried to scan was different than the one that would be there during the 3 for 15 sale, but they told me that instead of the three games being 15, each game would be 5. Neither of the bar codes worked, so they did a manual override on all of them.

I bought out almost all of their used games. 6/10. Hell yeah.

A manager of one of the stores i go to told me the sale starts on Thursday. I didn't even ask, she offered up this information on her own, so it makes me think it's correct. I have no reason to not believe her. She is a gamer herself and knows I buy and trade alot of games.

I can't wait! Her store has Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean, Far Cry 2, Heavenly Sword, 7 copies of GOW2, Street Fighter IV, Rock band 2, to name a few. Also a suprisingly decent used PSP and DS selection.

[quote name='Toss']
I can't wait! Her store has Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean, Far Cry 2, Heavenly Sword, 7 copies of GOW2, Street Fighter IV, Rock band 2, to name a few. Also a suprisingly decent used PSP and DS selection.[/QUOTE]

Wow, way better than my store. But I did see Star Ocean at another store and it was $34.99. Is it marked lower now? That would be awesome - if I can remember where I saw it and get there soon enough and have the deal work (always a big IF for these HWV deals, especially early on).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
And if you get a clueless clerk on BF, maybe you could sneak in a copy of the GOTY edition and get the version with the expansions for $20.[/QUOTE]

Eh, no dice, I think. They go by the UPC barcode so the GotY and regular editions will have different numbers.

[quote name='io']Wow, way better than my store. But I did see Star Ocean at another store and it was $34.99. Is it marked lower now? That would be awesome - if I can remember where I saw it and get there soon enough and have the deal work always a big IF for these HWV deals, especially early on).[/QUOTE]

Yes it was marked 29.99...If it is marked wrong you won't have to rush to get it in the morning! lol. I know of a street fighter iv at a HWV marked at 34.99. It is the only thing at that store so I will probably go there last on thurs.

Checked my HWV earlier today. Assuming these games are still there, I'll more than likely pick up Assassin's Creed, Left 4 Dead, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and maybe Animal Crossings for the Wii. I'll try and talk my friend into getting BioShock as well. Especially since it will only be five bucks.

[quote name='estofan']Eh, no dice, I think. They go by the UPC barcode so the GotY and regular editions will have different numbers.[/QUOTE]

Damn. I figured I might get the GOTY for a buddy of mine for Christmas and I figured I could sneak in a GOTY copy instead of the normal edition for $20.:D

Can't blame me for wanting to try though. Although I did pull off getting COD4: MW GOTY when they had the normal edition for $20-30 a looooong ass time ago.

I talked to a couple of HWV's and they all told me the deal started Friday. I'm not saying that to debunk the reported Thursday start date, just saying that Thursday might be YMMV.

I've got the games I want for the deal on hold, so I'm just going to go Friday morning and clean up.

Could someone compile a list of games that would be suitable for flipping on Black Friday plz? That would make my life easier when I go to a couple Hollywood Videos.

[quote name='GogetaSS4']Could someone compile a list of games that would be suitable for flipping on Black Friday plz? That would make my life easier when I go to a couple Hollywood Videos.[/QUOTE]

The Gamestop thread has a huge list of titles and their TIV's listed, compile a list of games that have been out for a little bit now(Gears Of War 2) that still have a decent value at Gamestop and go scout your HWV stores before the sale starts to see which ones are currently $29.99 or under.

Do your own research, lazy ass.:roll:

[quote name='GogetaSS4']Could someone compile a list of games that would be suitable for flipping on Black Friday plz? That would make my life easier when I go to a couple Hollywood Videos.[/QUOTE]

The best flips are the cheap things like Golden Compass, Dark Sector, any of the games that are cheap to begin with. Another good place to start is older sports titles, as they are usually dirt cheap and they are in high demand. Buy up as much of this as you can, and just sit back and collect the credit when you get to GS.

I went to HWV last night and picked up six mint/complete 360 games for $30:

Lost Planet, Gears of War, Rock Band, Turok, LotR: Battle For Middle-Earth II, and Alone in the Dark. They also had a mint/complete Silent Hill 2 for $9.99, but I held off on that one for now. Thanks OP.

Edit: I just noticed the responses on the first page from a while back... ridiculous. xD

they ran this deal of $29.99 games for $5 earlier this year and it was awesome, only lasts thursday/friday this time? still a good deal.

ha ha ha very funny...

[quote name='converse']I talked to a couple of HWV's and they all told me the deal started Friday. I'm not saying that to debunk the reported Thursday start date, just saying that Thursday might be YMMV.

I've got the games I want for the deal on hold, so I'm just going to go Friday morning and clean up.[/QUOTE]

So are you saying that your HWV is reserving/holding the games for you?

edit: No games worth buying at my local HWV. Went to scout it out and it's a crap-shoot. Only game I would be interested in is Zelda Phantom Hourglass.

[quote name='converse']The best flips are the cheap things like Golden Compass, Dark Sector, any of the games that are cheap to begin with. Another good place to start is older sports titles, as they are usually dirt cheap and they are in high demand. Buy up as much of this as you can, and just sit back and collect the credit when you get to GS.[/QUOTE]

I lol'd forreal :applause:

Yeah, info seems pretty scarce. same at the BBV thread. I guess that is what happens with these failing businesses, fewer employees = fewer leaks.

[quote name='converse']I talked to a couple of HWV's and they all told me the deal started Friday. I'm not saying that to debunk the reported Thursday start date, just saying that Thursday might be YMMV.

I've got the games I want for the deal on hold, so I'm just going to go Friday morning and clean up.[/QUOTE]

Lucky bastard - they have some great stuff at my local store (Halo 3, Star Ocean, Ghostbusters) but won't hold anything for me because there are so many other people wanting to get in on the deal according to the manager. fuck! That means I'll probably miss out entirely. I need to find a store that doesn't know about the deal and tell all their customers in advance :bomb:.

bread's done
Back