Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sandman8288']Sorry, didn't see that at first...

The Movie Galleries here were in on most of the
other deals that have went on (XBOX, PS2, GC Games for $3.99)....[/QUOTE]

The OP is wrong on this. I and others have gotten in on the deal at Movie Galleries.

What time does HWV open on BF?

I wish I had seen this thread earlier today. I was in my store a couple weeks ago and there was nothing worth a damn, but I'm willing to try again.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I'm going to go ahead right now, break the rules, and beg everyone or anyone that can find me a copy of Heavenly Sword for $5 complete.

Please, the only two HVs in my area closed a week and a half ago and I'm positive this is something my brother wants.

Any help would be great.[/QUOTE]

Im going to second this, I really want a complete copy of this as well.. dont know where any hollywood videos are around here anymore seeing some are gone where they are still listed and ones you do call never answer the damn phone.

[quote name='super_dawn']
ps. don't bother coming to my store in Tampa...! ;) picked clean. )[/QUOTE]

So you bought... everything there? :cry:

If anyone happens to pick up some extras for 360, let me know. ill pay you the $5 + shipping + a little extra for your troubles. I don't think I'll be able to get out to one tomorrow since I'll be traveling.

I went to two stores (non-gamecrazy attached). Neither had any clue what I was talking about. The clerk in the first store was a total (insert negative term here) who said he never heard of anything like that. The clerk at the second store was MUCH more helpful and checked everything he could think of to make sure there was no sale. I'm wondering if this had something to do with what superdawn had mentioned about certain stores not participating in the sale.

[quote name='bgame2']I went to two stores (non-gamecrazy attached). Neither had any clue what I was talking about. The clerk in the first store was a total (insert negative term here) who said he never heard of anything like that. The clerk at the second store was MUCH more helpful and checked everything he could think of to make sure there was no sale. I'm wondering if this had something to do with what superdawn had mentioned about certain stores not participating in the sale.[/QUOTE]

I had the same experience at one of the HWVs I went to; the lady was helpful though. She said their HWV is an Outlet store so doesn't participate in the sale; she suggested I go to one of the "regular" HWVs instead. Not sure what the difference is between an outlet vs regular store though.

Exactly Estofan - how do we know the difference? The first store (the one with the useless guy) only had about 30 used current gen games total. The second had more, but like I said that guy was really helpful and he couldn't find any mention of the sale.

This is really a great sale. I got the following:

:ds: Pokemon Platinum

:360: Prototype
:360: Prince of Persia
:360: Assassin's Creed
:360: Resident Evil 5

:ps3: Heavenly Sword
:ps3: Uncharted

I also checked Star Ocean (360) and it didn't qualify. It's worth asking about games people mentioned in this thread because a lot of games at the store I went to still had higher prices marked on them than the prices they actually were.

Also, I saw that they had Prince of Persia Limited Edition for $15 New. I still went with the used sale copy though.

Well I can confirm that HWV stores that recently closed their Gamecrazy sections do NOT have any used games for sale, though strangely I saw multiple rental copies of titles people have been picking up, like Prototype and MK vs DC etc.

Hit 2 of the three local HWV's.
Got Gears of War 2, Midnight Club LA, and Lego Star Wars DS, Street Fighter IV, Ghostbusters(wii), Resident Evil 4(wii)

I was 1/2 for my stops @ HWV today. The second one really pissed me off because I had a good 10 games that I wanted to get and the girl called her manager and he said they had to wait until tomorrow. Again, it's practices like this that make me shop @ HWV ONLY during these types of sales. It also causes me no hesitation to grab and trade good flip at their expense.

Well the first HWV i went to the guy was clueless but he tried to be helpful by looking thru some papers and then he walked around the store looking for a sign about this deal LOL. So when he finally decided that this deal did NOT exsist he offered to hold my two whole games that were worth buying for 5 bones. So i goto the next store and clerk says a guy came in earlier and literally bought everything, maybe a 100 games he said but i did find a 3 that i liked. The next store i went to have signs up already about the deal and a display with qualifying games in the front of the store. I walked out with 8 games so i was happy but thought i'd check the last store. Last one was okay so i got another 3 games so all in all i walked away with all 360 games;

Halo Wars x2
SF4 x2
Midnight Club
GoW2
Beautiful Katamari
Dead Space
Waanted
Saints Row 2
Godfather 2
Farcry 2
Fable 2
GTA 4
Hawx

So a good pre-black friday deal for sure, thanks OP!

[quote name='MirrIll']The beauty of working at Hollywood Video is the ability to find out about these deals in advance, pick out the games I want, and stash them away until sale day arrives.

That being said, I'm going to be picking up a good number of 360 games, as our PS3 selection is lacking at the moment. Taking home Prototype, Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 1 & 2, Naruto: The Broken Bond, Halo 3, and Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.
All with an employee discount, too! Hell yeah.[/QUOTE]

True...but you broke a HUGE rule of working at HWV..you never ever ring up items using a coupon on your own account for an extra discount.

[quote name='Optical']
A question to those whose HWVs closed... one of the stores had a big sign up saying "Core Collection DVDs $6.99". Their new release board was all erased and all the used games were in the glass cases with the doors open. Am I correct to assume that this store is closing soon?[/QUOTE]

My store is like this...discount game section and we are apparently not closing...atleast as far as I know thus far.

[quote name='musicman65000']Somebody please help me out! I just came from HWV and found a couple of games that qualify for the sale. I asked the clerk to check the price of the games and he said that they rang up the same as the sticker price.:cry: The guy wasn't a jerk, but it seemed like he just didn't know. Should I give him the code or is this YMMV?[/QUOTE]

Everyone who is having this problem...have them check the "Market Guide". It should be a huge page about the sale with the barcodes...if not, they are probably not participating in the sale.

[quote name='deletion']
the guy there told me that new games were included too (very YMMV) since the second plaace i went to said its only used.
virtua fighter 5 (brand new)
viva pinatat tip (brand new)

there were a lot of games listed here that were still 34.99 and up (like sfiv, animal crossings, punch out, ghostbusters,and the newer games)[/QUOTE]

Bad employee. ;) This was discussed in the old hwv sale. Hwv is stupid and for some dumb reason the barcode will scan and work on new games.... however the employees are not supposed to do this since it clearly states that this sale is just for used games.

[quote name='Markew001']So you bought... everything there? :cry:[/QUOTE]

Well I'm going tomorrow to buy my stash...of only 6 games! They're all trade-ins that came in since the last sale. Our store was already so very very picked over from the last sale. We have lots of old xbox and ps2 games...that's pretty much it.

[quote name='bgame2']I went to two stores (non-gamecrazy attached). Neither had any clue what I was talking about. The clerk in the first store was a total (insert negative term here) who said he never heard of anything like that. The clerk at the second store was MUCH more helpful and checked everything he could think of to make sure there was no sale. I'm wondering if this had something to do with what superdawn had mentioned about certain stores not participating in the sale.[/QUOTE]

Yea... as I said above, have them check the "Market Guide"...if not in there, then they are not participating.

At the second HWV I went to, the two people working didn't know what I was talking about. But as soon as the guy checked their guide, they realized that there was a sale. The guy working said, 'wow, I need to pick up a few games myself.' There wasn't much for a selection but I got a few good ones. All in all, a very, very good day. Thank you OP and CAG.

[quote name='super_dawn']True...but you broke a HUGE rule of working at HWV..you never ever ring up items using a coupon on your own account for an extra discount.

My store is like this...discount game section and we are apparently not closing...atleast as far as I know thus far.

Everyone who is having this problem...have them check the "Market Guide". It should be a huge page about the sale with the barcodes...if not, they are probably not participating in the sale.

Bad employee. ;) This was discussed in the old hwv sale. Hwv is stupid and for some dumb reason the barcode will scan and work on new games.... however the employees are not supposed to do this since it clearly states that this sale is just for used games.

Well I'm going tomorrow to buy my stash...of only 6 games! They're all trade-ins that came in since the last sale. Our store was already so very very picked over from the last sale. We have lots of old xbox and ps2 games...that's pretty much it.

Yea... as I said above, have them check the "Market Guide"...if not in there, then they are not participating.[/QUOTE]

Thx!:) I'll give it a try tomorrow!

I went in and bought 10 games right before they closed. The employees lied to me last night when they told me they weren't running any sales.

I bought:

For 360
hitman blood money
gta 4
Resident evil 5
Halo Wars
Lost Odyssey
Farcry 2
Fear 2
Midnight Club
Street Fighter 4 (had like 15 copies left)

and Medal of honor 2 for the Wii

These are just the leftovers of what I saw yesterday. They had pretty much everything listed in the OP and more yesterday. The only reason I got these games listed is because they were all mistagged except for midnight club and medal of honor. I should have just gone in at 10am even though just hours before the employees told me I was wrong about this sale and that they weren't running it.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I went in and bought 10 games right before they closed. The employees lied to me last night when they told me they weren't running any sales.
[/QUOTE]

*sigh* ...even at my store its like that. I seriously must be the only shift mgr that even reads up on the market guide and intranet as soon as I clock in. All other employees don't bother and just try to get through there shift with minimal work to do. ...but then again, all of these employees you've met make nothing for pay. They really don't care. I don't even usually care...I work one day a week and have my wonderful full-time job elsewhere.

I did ok. Wish there were more standalone HWVs. Got there about 10 min. before it opened and was the only one there. Another CAG showed up a few minutes before 10 and jumped in before me but it was civil. My haul, mostly Wii since the other CAG grabbed mostly PS3/360 stuff:

Boom Blocks I & II
deBlob
WarioWare SM
WarioLand
Tales of Symphonia

Heavenly Sword PS3

I really only went there for Heavenly Sword and whatever I picked up was a bonus. I had scoped out the store earlier in the week but didn't take much notes so I probably missed some better GS flip opportunities.

They ended up really cheap since I used pipemania credit to buy these. I'll keep some of the Wii games and Heavenly Sword, flip the rest to GS.

Well after morning rejection I went back out and convinced them that the deal was good, and they were able to find it in "the book." I think I did pretty well, further adventures tomorrow, hoping to find some more PS3 stuff. Here's the list
:360:
Assassin's Creed
Bioshock
Fable II
HAWX
Midnight Club: LA
MK vs DC
SC IV
SF IV
Wanted
:ps3:
Condemned 2
DBZ: Bustlimit
GTAIV
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 08 The Show
Saint's Row 2
:wii:
Animal Crossing x 2
Big Brain Academy
Carnival Games
EA Playground
Endless Ocean
RE4
Wario Land: Shake It

Edit: I just wanted to add that this is hands down my favorite sale. There is no where else I could get so many games, and many of them very good, for so little. $125 + tax for those, that's crazy

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ackbar7']
:wii:
Animal Crossing x 2
[/QUOTE]

Wait, WHAT!? I saw several of these but they were all tagged $34.99. I wish I would have known this - what are they actually ringing up at?

One that is NOT $29.99 though someone on here claimed it is (and it was a big disappointment to me as it was my #1 target) is Star Ocean for 360. It rings up $34.99...

I had a tale of two stores today... First, I got to my local store at about 2 after noon (when they opened) and much to my disappointment I could already see a horde at the game section. Apparently they told a bunch of people about this sale ahead of time and they had a LINE 30 minutes before open! Fortunately it was a mix of teenagers and older people (yeah, even older than me ;)) buying things for teenagers so they went mostly for the shooters/sports games and passed up a few things that I managed to snag. Then I had to wait in line 40 minutes while the one guy working there found everyone's discs and rang everyone up.

I was very discouraged but decided to try another store. This one had the sale running but no signage and no one else had gotten stuff yet even though I didn't get there until 2pm or so. The guy helping me told me he grabbed 15 games before they opened, but they still had a decent assortment left. This is where a couple of the Animal Crossing games were. I tried several $34.99 games and they all came up $34.99, but I didn't try AC. Don't tell me any of the other Nintendo first party games like Mario Party 8, Super Paper Mario, etc are $29.99 or under because they were all tagged $39.99 or so...

My haul:

Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days :ds:
Pokemon Platinum :ds:
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess :gc:

That was at the first store I checked out. Both DS games were mint/complete. TP was complete and in decent shape. I don't think that anyone else hit this store before me since the shelves were in order. I had to do seperate transactions for each game since the computer wouldn't take the barcode more than once in the same transaction. The clerk tried to tell me that he could only give me one game at that price but I just asked him to do seperate transactions.

The second store I went to was cleaned out. The PS3 and Wii sections had gaps from all the games that were picked up. Oh well, I'm happy with the 2 DS games that I found. I still have 3 HWVs that are further away from me. I'll probably check those out tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath.

Games that scanned higher than $29.99:

Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Mario Party 8
Mario Kart Wii
Pokemon Battle Revolution

[quote name='emg28']Games that scanned higher than $29.99:

Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Mario Party 8
Mario Kart Wii
Pokemon Battle Revolution[/QUOTE]

Well, that's a relief, actually, because I saw all of these today. SSBB is in the OP as one of the qualifying titles, though...

As for the DS games, you are more likely to score those because at a lot of these stores they keep them in the case while the used games are on the racks. So people overlook them. At my local store where the PS3/360/Wii stuff was destroyed within 2 minutes of opening, the DS stuff was untouched except for one woman calling her son and asking what he wanted - all he wanted was Call of Duty World at War, leaving complete Broken Sword (a big pickup for me as I almost bought this used from GS a while back) and Professor Layton games for me to snag ;).

At another store I got a complete Pokemon Platinum and a complete Mario Kart Wii (!). That last one was a big surprise as I almost never see that for sale anywhere - the case even threw me off at first (I was wondering what this mostly white-covered Mario game was as it blended in with all their plain-paper cover cart-only DS games).

[quote name='io']Well, that's a relief, actually, because I saw all of these today. SSBB is in the OP as one of the qualifying titles, though...

As for the DS games, you are more likely to score those because at a lot of these stores they keep them in the case while the used games are on the racks. So people overlook them. [/QUOTE]

I thought I remembered SSBB being in the OP's list so I didn't have him scan it until I went to pay. Maybe SSBB is YMMV.

I remember you posting about the DS games being in the case so I always check there first. I've never had any luck doing that since every DS game that I've found has been on the racks with the other games. It's weird though, every DS game that I've bought at HWV (I usually buy every one that I find) has been mint/complete.

OK, sorry I needed to clarify that, and I believe someone else had a similar experience with Animal Crossing as well (but I could be mistaken, I am impulsively responding), it was tagged 19.99 but then rang up 34.99 instead. He gave them both to me for $5, so yeah serious YMMV on that but it seems like that is a game that may have gone up in price. The game I was most disappointed had not dropped was Valkyria Chronicles, it was 34.99 last time they did this.
To add one other thing to this long rambling post, they had one of their generic cases out for LoZ: TP for gamecube, but the disc was nowhere to be found. At least I know another CAG got the complete copy they had a week or so ago.

Ah, OK, mistags shouldn't even get reported ;). Well, it's OK as long as you are clear about it.

I got a Red Faction because it was mistagged $17.99 but rang up $34.99. After about 15 minutes of them figuring out how they could override it, they gave it to me for $5.

As for the DS games, well, I was at a store tonight that had a TON of cart-only and disc-only stuff. They had about 20 DS games and 15 were cart-only. Same with PSP. Then they had a whole box full of discs in sleeves at the front register that you could rifle through and buy from - they didn't even have generic cases for them. I did end up getting a few things from there though. They must have had 100 360 games in there though. They said all this stuff came from a Gamecrazy store.

[quote name='io']As for the DS games, well, I was at a store tonight that had a TON of cart-only and disc-only stuff. They had about 20 DS games and 15 were cart-only. Same with PSP. Then they had a whole box full of discs in sleeves at the front register that you could rifle through and buy from - they didn't even have generic cases for them. I did end up getting a few things from there though. They must have had 100 360 games in there though. They said all this stuff came from a Gamecrazy store.[/QUOTE]

Bah. I guess my HWVs didn't get any shipments in from GC. It makes sense since there are no GC within 25 miles from me (a couple recently closed down).

I'm amazed and a bit jealous at the hauls some of you are reporting.

Great Find OP. Picked up:

(All for 360)
Bully SE
Gears 2
Midnight Club LA
Fear 2
Battlefield BC
Star Wars TFU
Mass Effect

All in all a great day. I hope to find more at a different store tomorrow. I am also interested in the following games(preferable PS3 but 360 will do;do not have to be complete/in original cases)-

Prototype
RE5
LBP
Left 4 Dead
50 Cent game
Fight Night Round 4

If you have any of these games and are willing to trade for any of the games above or in my TL let me know.

Gah more Hollywood Videos are closed around me... im done with this store because the drive for the stores is getting to far..... Again anyone PM me with a complete Heavenly Sword they dont want :D

Hollywood Video in Somers, NY has pretty slim pickings and nothing for me but they do still have:

1 x Saints Row 2 :ps3:
1 x Street Fighter 4 :ps3: :360:

Aside from that pretty meh.

Did you get these for the 4 for $20 deal? :bouncy:

[quote name='paradise2894']Great Find OP. Picked up:

(All for 360)
Bully SE
Gears 2
Midnight Club LA
Fear 2
Battlefield BC
Star Wars TFU
Mass Effect

All in all a great day. I hope to find more at a different store tomorrow. I am also interested in the following games(preferable PS3 but 360 will do;do not have to be complete/in original cases)-

Prototype
RE5
LBP
Left 4 Dead
50 Cent game
Fight Night Round 4

If you have any of these games and are willing to trade for any of the games above or in my TL let me know.[/QUOTE]

My store had jack. Looks like they aren't going to even bother selling new games any more. Girl didn't know anything about the sale but looked in their promo book and found it. I did pick up the following:

SFIV (360)
Midnight Club LA (PS3)

And for my nephew for Xmas I grabbed

Midnight Club LA (360)
Prey (360)

I was wishing for a Prototype at the very least, but oh well. The store treated me good over the summer, so I can't really complain.

Got the following, all complete unless noted for 360.

Halo Wars
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (sealed for some reason? Giving this to my girlfriend for Christmas)
Farcry 2
Rock Band 2
Ghostbusters
Saints Row 2 (rental, no manual)

All in all a very good black Friday. Still interested in Gears 2, Red Faction, etc. If you have any extras, let me know. Thanks!

This is probably mentioned but I haven't found the exact mention as to what this deal is for $5 games. I've called two Hollywood Videos here in Chicago and they don't have a clue what Im talking about.

It's not mentioned online either. Is there a coupon we must present, should they have the coupon behind the counter, is it a regional sale???

[quote name='earvcunanan']I went to HWV last night and picked up six mint/complete 360 games for $30:

Lost Planet, Gears of War, Rock Band, Turok, LotR: Battle For Middle-Earth II, and Alone in the Dark. They also had a mint/complete Silent Hill 2 for $9.99, but I held off on that one for now. Thanks OP.

Edit: I just noticed the responses on the first page from a while back... ridiculous. xD[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Got the following, all complete unless noted for 360.

Halo Wars
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (sealed for some reason? Giving this to my girlfriend for Christmas)
Farcry 2
Rock Band 2
Ghostbusters
Saints Row 2 (rental, no manual)

All in all a very good black Friday. Still interested in Gears 2, Red Faction, etc. If you have any extras, let me know. Thanks![/QUOTE]
Gah! I wanted Farcry 2 and Halo Wars...and Ghostbusters.

fuck, 5 out of 6 Hollywood stores around me are closed forever. The 6th one had nothing except PS2 and Gamecube games and sports games for the PS3 and 360. Where did all the rentals go from the closed stores?!? There isn't a Gamecrazy within 25 miles of me.

I went back today, after getting shot down yesterday. Dude let me know the deal was good...too bad that store didnt have much.

I picked a few good titles

zelda gamecube
uncharted
heavenly sword
midnight club LA PS3
Sonic adventure DS
Professsor Layton and the diabolical box (YEAH)
Advance wars DS
Spongebob drawn to life

OK haul I guess, and super smash bros is ringing up $34.99 (good thing I got it for $14.99 yesterday)

Has anyone seen/gotten super mario galaxy? I could have sworn I saw a copy marked $34.99 yesterday, but it was gone today, so I couldnt check.

[quote name='zpoor17']Does anybody know if Star Ocean or Halo Wars qualifies for this deal?[/QUOTE]

Star Ocean no, Halo Wars yes...

[quote name='Eric78DX']This is probably mentioned but I haven't found the exact mention as to what this deal is for $5 games. I've called two Hollywood Videos here in Chicago and they don't have a clue what Im talking about.

It's not mentioned online either. Is there a coupon we must present, should they have the coupon behind the counter, is it a regional sale???[/QUOTE]

They have to scan a bar code or enter it manually for each game to discount them. Luckily it seems all the stores around here are up on the deal this time. Last time they kept denying me and then other CAGs would go to the same stores and get the deal (once they figured out that yes, they were supposed to do it) - it was highly annoying. As a result, I got a lot more this time.

Bah, I've called 8 Chicagoland stores and none of them confirm this deal. I even texted my old DM and he said it's not in Chicago. LAME LAME LAME!

Turns out what I thought was a crappy selection was instead some old guy buying up everything to sell at the flea market. I got lucky today though and picked up around fifteen games. The stores were actually doing it here yesterday but not until later and that old guy got there first. Luckily for me I was there as the nice employees were pulling a bunch of games and got some good stuff. No RE5 or Fallout like I wanted but I did get SF4. I can't wait till they have this again, I'm gonna beat that old sucker next time.

No but it was 35 yesterday and I was hoping it would drop, oh well. I'm gonna get the GOTY edition anyway.

bread's done
Back