Official iOS Jailbreaking Thread [4.1 Greenpois0n Mac version out! 10.6 only so far]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenpois0n doesn't seem to work for me in VMWare Fusion either, though it does at least tell me that it failed, unlike Limera1n that tells me it worked, except it didn't. I suppose that's progress. :) Maybe, in fact, the issue is related to whatever is holding up the Mac version of Greenpois0n and is a problem with GeoHot's exploit? I don't know. Hopefully Chronic Dev Team can get it working and get the Mac version out soon. Otherwise I guess I might try installing Windows in Bootcamp. Sigh.

Greenpois0n worked well for me, I was able to jailbreak my iTouch 3G, and now I can finally use Game Center.

Did I overlook the Game Center thread? Or is there no dedicated thread for exchanging GC usernames?

It sucks I can't face time with co workers who just got iPods since they're on 4.1. I don't feel comfortable trying to jb 4.1 yet. Some dude's YouTube vid says you can't search on safari or play music with limera1n, wonder if it's true:cold:...I'll just keep checking crunc's blog for updates. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
going back to 4.01, cant get any of my apps, they are stuck in folders and cant get them out, so ima just wait

ok or i just did a restore form a back up and im still on 4.1..... but folder bg from my theme seems to work now? ugh

[quote name='yukine']Greenpois0n worked well for me, I was able to jailbreak my iTouch 3G, and now I can finally use Game Center.

Did I overlook the Game Center thread? Or is there no dedicated thread for exchanging GC usernames?[/QUOTE]

There is one here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

I'm "crunc is" like on XBL. Feel free to add me.

Linux version of greenpois0n is out. Mac version is still "coming soon", due to some technical snafu. I'm about to try jailbreaking via the linux version in VMWare Fusion. Wish me luck!

Elite - you need to restore the old firmware. Malik posted info on how to do this with the Cydia backups somewhere in this thread I think. Otherwise search on google for how to restore with Cydia shsh blob backup.

EDIT: here's one guide. I have never tried it, but I presume it works fine: http://www.dkszone.net/downgrade-ios-41-ios-40x-iphone-4-3gs-3g

[quote name='crunchewy']There is one here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

I'm "crunc is" like on XBL. Feel free to add me.

Linux version of greenpois0n is out. Mac version is still "coming soon", due to some technical snafu. I'm about to try jailbreaking via the linux version in VMWare Fusion. Wish me luck!

Elite - you need to restore the old firmware. Malik posted info on how to do this with the Cydia backups somewhere in this thread I think. Otherwise search on google for how to restore with Cydia shsh blob backup.

EDIT: here's one guide. I have never tried it, but I presume it works fine: http://www.dkszone.net/downgrade-ios-41-ios-40x-iphone-4-3gs-3g[/QUOTE]
yea thanks, honestly, i dont see the point in 4.1 anymore... also just found out i cant SSH into my phone with a program, just gives me general crap which sucks when it comes to a lot of things

No luck using greenpois0n in Ubuntu Linux running in VMWare Fusion on my Mac. It took so damned long just to figure out what I needed to install just to get it to run (you have to love Linux?), but finally I did, only to find that it wasn't ever able to either get it into DFU mode, or perhaps just didn't recognize that it was in DFU mode. Oh well. Maybe these issues with using it from VMWare Fusion are related to the tech problem they've had with the Mac native release. I'm done trying for now.

As for 4.1, I like it. The HDR photography is pretty nice, and I like Game Center a lot, even though it feels like a version 1, which of course it is. It's definitely the right idea. On the other hand there's the prospect that any updated version of Game Center will only come with new firmware, and that new firmware will make Greenpois0n a tethered jailbreak, and that means I won't update to it, so I'll be stuck on Game Center 1.0. Hopefully they can figure out another untether hack, though. I'm not sure if it fixes the proximity issue or not as I didn't really seem to have any issues with that, but that might be due to the fact that I don't really make that many calls. I'm mostly a data user.

Thanks for the link, crunchewy.

I won't mind having to use a tethered jailbreak in the future, as I like Game Center quite a bit, but my iPod Touch is also not my phone.

Hey everyone a friend of mine gave me an old iphone of his (iphone original edge network).

the home button doesnt work on it, so I am wondering if there is a way to put it in DFU mode without the use of the home button ?

like is there a program that will do it for me ?

So if I've already used limera1n is there any point in doing this using Greenpois0n? I haven't noticed any issues with limera1n so I'll probably leave it well enough alone, but I was just wondering if there's any benefit/anything different here.

[quote name='microcuts777']So if I've already used limera1n is there any point in doing this using Greenpois0n? I haven't noticed any issues with limera1n so I'll probably leave it well enough alone, but I was just wondering if there's any benefit/anything different here.[/QUOTE]

No, As long as you arent having any issues there is no reason to use greenpois0n.

I hope someone can please help.... Since jailbreaking my 3G (iOS 3.1.3) my iPhone hardly ever will connect to any WiFi, will only use E or 3G. It will recoginize them but won't connect. This includes my personal one at home which for 2 years was never a problem. Sometimes when I turn the phone on/off to reboot and I get a Springboard error message to resart Springboard.

This has turned out to be a really big problem because there is no 3G at my home and the E is slow as can be out here. Thanks for any help!

Limera1n Mac is out! I'm somewhat torn on whether or not to use it. Might wait for Greenpois0n, but I'm going on vacation tomorrow and would really like to have my iPhone 4 jailbroken. Hmm. Probably going to do it...

EDIT: and I went ahead and did it. It seemed to work! Hopefully I don't discover any issues. Has anyone tried MyWi in 4.1? That's one of the key things I want back. That and ScreenDimmer!

[quote name='spsummers']I hope someone can please help.... Since jailbreaking my 3G (iOS 3.1.3) my iPhone hardly ever will connect to any WiFi, will only use E or 3G. It will recoginize them but won't connect. This includes my personal one at home which for 2 years was never a problem. Sometimes when I turn the phone on/off to reboot and I get a Springboard error message to resart Springboard.

This has turned out to be a really big problem because there is no 3G at my home and the E is slow as can be out here. Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]

Did you jailbreak with Limera1n or Greenpois0n or something else? I'm not sure if I can help, but maybe somebody else could help if they had more info? I guess I'd suggest trying a restore (if you have an SHSH blob backup in cydia and want to stay at 3.1.3, then use that guide I posted about in a prior recent message.) Maybe you should update to 4.1, which will remove your jailbreak, then rejailbreak with Greenpois0n or Limera1n? They may be most tested on 4.1. Not sure.

Also, Limera1n Mac is out! I'm somewhat torn on whether or not to use it. Might wait for Greenpois0n, but I'm going on vacation tomorrow and would really like to have my iPhone 4 jailbroken. Hmm. Probably going to do it...

EDIT: and I went ahead and did it. It seemed to work! Hopefully I don't discover any issues. Has anyone tried MyWi in 4.1? That's one of the key things I want back. That and ScreenDimmer!

[quote name='crunchewy']Did you jailbreak with Limera1n or Greenpois0n or something else? I'm not sure if I can help, but maybe somebody else could help if they had more info? I guess I'd suggest trying a restore (if you have an SHSH blob backup in cydia and want to stay at 3.1.3, then use that guide I posted about in a prior recent message.) Maybe you should update to 4.1, which will remove your jailbreak, then rejailbreak with Greenpois0n or Limera1n? They may be most tested on 4.1. Not sure.

Also, Limera1n Mac is out! I'm somewhat torn on whether or not to use it. Might wait for Greenpois0n, but I'm going on vacation tomorrow and would really like to have my iPhone 4 jailbroken. Hmm. Probably going to do it...

EDIT: and I went ahead and did it. It seemed to work! Hopefully I don't discover any issues. Has anyone tried MyWi in 4.1? That's one of the key things I want back. That and ScreenDimmer![/QUOTE]

I used Spirit to jailbreak I believe. It was several months ago, the problem started recently though. The only JB app I use is MyWi, that I got from Rock. Haven't changed anything since. I did do the SHSH backup in Cydia.

So far so good with limera1n Mac to jailbreak my iOS 4.1 iPhone 4. Everything I've tried so far is working great. Titles with asterisks are newly tested by me. All are tested only on an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1.

Working:

Action Menu/Action Menu Plus Pack
BTStack
BTStack GPS
*Enhanced Tabs
*Folder Enhancer
*Full Screen for Safari
*Gameboy A.D. Plus
*Genesis A.D. Plus
Haptic Pro
iFile
iMAME4all
Infinifolders - even restored my folder layout from before!
*My3G
MyWi 4.0
Navigate From Maps
*NES A.D. Plus
Safari Download Manager
ScreenDimmer

Not working:

SNES A.D.X + - so far doesn't seem to work for me. Their other emus work fine.

Yep - and it's working great. It also restored my folder structures, so it appears it's settings are backed up with an iTunes backup - I had restored before. I've got pretty much everything I wanted now.

EDIT: in general I've found that any jailbreak app that uses the Settings app to set preferences has it's preferences restored when you install it after restore and new jailbreak. I.e. that those apps settings are backed up like regular apps.

Hey crunc, just so I get it right, you're supposed to upgrade 4.1 and then jailbreak with gp or lr, right? Or do you just use gp or lr while already jailbroken?

I'm not sure what happens if you try to jailbreak when already jailbroken via some other means. Probably it either won't let you or it won't produce good results, but I don't really know. You could try it and if it messed anything up, do a restore to 4.1 and then jailbreak. Either way, be sure to do a backup in iTunes first.

Also, RC4 of Greenpois0n is out with support for iPod touch 2G! May be Win-only at the moment - I didn't check yet.

[quote name='spsummers']I used Spirit to jailbreak I believe. It was several months ago, the problem started recently though. The only JB app I use is MyWi, that I got from Rock. Haven't changed anything since. I did do the SHSH backup in Cydia.[/QUOTE]

I suspect you've already tried this, but I was just today having problems connecting to the wireless network at work. First of all it seemed to have forgotten the password I'd entered, or otherwise removed it, but then even having typed in my username and password it would just sit there forever and never connect. However, I rebooted my iPhone and after that it connected without a hitch. Worth a shot? I don't know if it's jailbreak related issue or not. Probably not as I've had issues with the wireless network here at work on my laptop as well, but I figured I'd toss the idea out there anyway.

Finally got tired of my 3G being on 3.1.3 and being full of glitches. Updated to 4.1 and use redsn0w, seems to be working pretty damn good. Liking FolderExtender and the $0.99 price-tag helped too. Looking for a few more add-ons to make things more friendly. I plan on replacing this 3G at some point in the next few months but I'm too cheap right now. Tethering is my top priority at this point though.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Hey what is the repo that (*Gameboy A.D. Plus) is in ?[/QUOTE]

It's in the BigBoss repo. There's a "BigBoss's Source" package you can install for this repo.

Was bored at work today and got Multitasking/Backgrounds/GameCenter working on my 3G. Very nice indeed. Thing still runs great, but that was after removing some LaunchDaemons. Can't believe I waited this long to do all that.

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224341

I removed all of the Safe and Unknown tagged ones. I also removed a handful of the Conditional ones as well. I did quite a bit to my phone yesterday, and I expected my stability to be compromised but the damn thing has been more stable and runs faster. After removing the LaunchDaemons my 8GB 3G iphone has around 30-40MB of memory free most of the time and that is with Multitasking enabled and GameCenter running constantly. Doesn't get really bad at all until I have about 8 apps open. I never need more than 3-4 so that really isn't a huge deal. The phone boots up much faster as well.

Full list of modifications yesterday:
Enabled Multitasking/Background
Deleted LaunchDaemons
Deleted unnecessary language packs (needed newest mobileterminal)
Installed and enabled GameCenter (I have only this far re-enabled Multitasking/GameCenter, debating adding the Background back in)

May not seem like much, but I'll be damned if I haven't been more happy with my phones performance. Battery life is lower now that I have multitasking on but that's to be expected really.

The 3G with multitasking enabled is HORRID. Did it to both my 3G's before selling them and it was pretty bad. Even though you say it is running good for a 3G, it isnt.

I can only report my results and my phone is working better, but that is after all the other modifications I made as well. I know before doing the other modifications it was slower than it was before with no multitasking, but after doing the others I've seen a drastic improvement. Working much better than stock for me. I figure if I took multitasking off it would run even better but for me this is just fine. I also did a complete install from the ground up. Didn't restore any old data or anything like that. Some other people I know that have done it complained about slowness did upgrades or restored old information. Just what I've ran into personally anyway.

After jailbreaking with Limera1n, Cydia didn't ask if I wanted it to make my life easier, and there's no button to do that either. Cydia isn't saying I have any SHSH blobs on file, though I did in the past, before updating to 4.1 and losing my jailbreak. Anyone else seeing this? I'm thinking about restoring to 4.1 unjailbroken, then jailbreaking again, but this time with Greenpois0n - wondering if it's a limera1n issue.

I do have mine backed up with TinyUmbrella, but would like to have Cydia backing them up for me too.

[quote name='crunchewy']After jailbreaking with Limera1n, Cydia didn't ask if I wanted it to make my life easier, and there's no button to do that either. Cydia isn't saying I have any SHSH blobs on file, though I did in the past, before updating to 4.1 and losing my jailbreak. Anyone else seeing this? I'm thinking about restoring to 4.1 unjailbroken, then jailbreaking again, but this time with Greenpois0n - wondering if it's a limera1n issue.

I do have mine backed up with TinyUmbrella, but would like to have Cydia backing them up for me too.[/QUOTE]

Its a server issue on Saurik's side. Just wait, Cydia will save them.

also, full screen for safari just updated and it has an action menu and this shit is nice

6MesH.jpg

Yes, I love the update to Full Screen for Safari, although I can't get the new gestures to work. The hold ones. Perhaps due to having ActionMenu too. I emailed the author to inquire about it. In any case, with the actions menu (that is, with the actions menu in Full Screen for Safari!) I'm really happy with it just using triple tap to trigger it. Works great!

What a shock to see Installous in that screenshot. Yes, I know, you just "trial" software and "pay" for anything you like. Since we aren't allowed to talk about piracy here, and whether or not you (allegedly) don't do it, Installous is primarily used for piracy. I'd say exclusively, but whatever. Please remove that screencap as it's close enough to discussing piracy.

You, sir, are a pussy.

In other news cydia is saving shsh's now.

Speaking of cydia, did you know you can get pirated versions of cydia apps from cydia depending on what repos you have installed? Guess we can't talk about cydia anymore. Dummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back