Official iOS Jailbreaking Thread [4.1 Greenpois0n Mac version out! 10.6 only so far]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='spsummers']Is there any reason to keep the Rock App installed (since it seems wothless now)?[/QUOTE]

Nope, as I understand it, all the info was transferred over to Cydia. I was concerned about Intelliscreen and other apps that required the Rock app download, but I deleted Rock and haven't had any issues.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']haha so there could actually be a jailbreak for 4.2 before 4.1 (yes I know 4.2 isnt released yet lol )[/QUOTE]
would make sense to just wait till 4.2 is out for them to really release anything(i know ip3g is out but who cares)

Has anyone had success with User Agent Faker? I installed it and the SBSettings toggle, but it doesn't seem to do anything. CAG, for example, still shows the iPhone version in Safari. I tried both setting and not setting Safari "On" in the UAFaker settings. It didn't make any difference. Also made sure to have the SBSettings module enabled. I also tried removing the SBSettings toggle. No dice. I wish it worked. Then, along with Safari Download Manager, I'd have everything I want in Safari pretty much.

EDIT: Yes, I realize that CAG has the option to view the full site anyway, that was just my test site.

I'm not going to make any claims about how well it works, and truthfully it seems pretty confusing, but Snowbreeze 2.0.1 is out and can jailbreak the following iPhones and iPod touches, giving you a jailbroken iOS 4.1:

iPhone 2G
iPhone 3G
***posts on ih8sn0w forums say that this doesn't really work on anything past 3.1.2!!!*** iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) – Must be already jailbroken. (If you are jailbroken using Spirit or JailbreakMe, use Spirit2Pwn from http://repo.woowiz.net)
iPhone 3GS (new bootrom) – Must be currently jailbroken on 3.1.2.
iPod Touch 1G
iPod Touch 2G (Non-MC Model)
iPod Touch 2G (MC Model) – Must be currently jailbroken on 3.1.2.
iPod Touch 3G – Must be currently jailbroken on 3.1.2.

WARNING: I do not know if this is a tethered jailbreak or not!!!! The info out there on this is limited, to say the least. Hopefully someone else can chime in with the answer.

EDIT: looks like the tool f0recast at the official site (see below) might tell you if it will be tethered or not and if you can jailbreak at all, but I can't test it at the moment. Also the Sn0wbreeze app is for Windows.

Here's a web page that has a guide for how to do it:

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak....1-with-sn0wbreeze-2.0-custom-firmware-guide/

Lastly, this is the official site for Sn0wbreeze:

http://ih8sn0w.com/

Also, does anyone know how to tell if an iPhone 3GS has the old bootrom? We have a 3GS, but I don't know if it's new or old, bootrom-wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought MyWi 4.0 and was reading the FAQs.
One of the questions was- "Do I have to pay for teathering with my carrier if I use MyWi?"
Answer- "Yes, you must check with your carrier's contract to see if tethering is allowed on your current plan."

Is this true? Will AT&T know about this and charge me for it?

Thanks for any help.

[quote name='spsummers']Just bought MyWi 4.0 and was reading the FAQs.
One of the questions was- "Do I have to pay for teathering with my carrier if I use MyWi?"
Answer- "Yes, you must check with your carrier's contract to see if tethering is allowed on your current plan."

Is this true? Will AT&T know about this and charge me for it?

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

That is a CYA statement. How would ATT know?

Posts on the ih8sn0w forums seems to indicate that the Snowbreeze 2.0.x jailbreak DOES NOT WORK on 3GS old bootroom if you are past 3.1.2. If you can downgrade to 3.1.2 then you can install Spirit2Pwn and then jailbreak to 4.1. If you are at anything other then 3.1.2, you will end up crashed and will have a difficult time restoring!!

Lockscreen
IMG_0124.png

Homescreen(my only page)

Need advice. Have 3GS Ipod Touch with iOS 3.1.3 and iTunes 9.x

Just curious, so to JB my device, I should just head out to jailbreakme.com and let the site do its job? If not, should I update to iOS4.0 first then head to the site? Once JBened, can I use my old iTunes PC app(Ver 9.x) to transfer stuff or will I have to go through loops to get that done or maybe have to update to iTunes10?

Lastly, what does "MC" stand for? I see that near the firmware/ipod/iphone at times but not sure what that means. Thanx

PS: google has lead me to stupid iphone scam sites and lead to me nowhere!

Jailbreakme.com would be your easiest option. In fact I think it's your only option - Sn0wbreeze requires you to be jailbroken already and on 3.1.2. Since you aren't jailbroken now you can't downgrade to 3.1.2. Don't upgrade to 4.1, before or after. That would get rid of your jailbreak or prevent you from being able to jailbreak. For 4.1 you've got to wait fir the Shatter jailbreak to come out, but it could be a while.

Ah thanx for that! I just want to JB to 4.0 and experience the new features. Then once JB4.1 comes out, ill check it out but for now 4.0 will be fine.

Thank you for the kind response. I was looking forward to getting yelled and told to use google. I went to a few online sites but non really help as Im more looking for personal experience then following a list of steps without being too sure.

Edit: ok just went to jailbreakme.com on Ipod and said "Warning: This ver is known to crash. You can try but you might have better luck to upgrade to 4.0 first"

So upgrade to iOS4.0????? hmm have to look for the right file!

Edit2: Found iOS4 update for "iPod touch 3G" --> Is this also meant for my 3rd Gen(3GS) iPod Touch? Or is there a separate one? Can anyone confirm is this is the right one from this link, thanks: (last one on the list)
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-ios-4.0-for-iphone-4-9170229/

[quote name='darknight88']Edit2: Found iOS4 update for "iPod touch 3G" --> Is this also meant for my 3rd Gen(3GS) iPod Touch? Or is there a separate one? Can anyone confirm is this is the right one from this link, thanks: (last one on the list)
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-ios-4.0-for-iphone-4-9170229/[/QUOTE]

This is where the limits of my knowledge are tested... but I'm pretty sure that at this point you can't upgrade to 4.0, you have to upgrade to 4.1, and then you can't jailbreak yet. You can't upgrade to 4.0 because Apple won't sign older releases, only the latest. So it sounds like you're going to have to play a waiting game like many of the rest of us, for Shatter to be turned into a jailbreak.

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but a recent Activator update added short-hold volume up and short-hoid volume down. I like those a lot better then the other volume button based shortcuts. I'm going to leave short-hold down unset, though, for emergency volume lowering needs. :)

Also, can anyone get the slide in from bottom Activator gestures to work? Those have never worked for me. Am I just not understanding how they are suppose to work? I slide in from bottom middle to top, or middle of screen or really anywhere. I also have tried sliding in starting on the screen, but at the very bottom. Nothing ever seems to trigger what I have set for the respective gesture. All the other gestures work fine.

[quote name='crunchewy']This is where the limits of my knowledge are tested... but I'm pretty sure that at this point you can't upgrade to 4.0, you have to upgrade to 4.1, and then you can't jailbreak yet. You can't upgrade to 4.0 because Apple won't sign older releases, only the latest. So it sounds like you're going to have to play a waiting game like many of the rest of us, for Shatter to be turned into a jailbreak.[/QUOTE]

OMFG didnt know about signing of FWs by apple....what bullshit.

It's a bit cryptic, but pod2g seems to have said that the SHAtter jailbreak is days away:

http://twitter.com/pod2g/status/25878257881

I hope so, anyway! Of course now that patent pictures are popping up of the next gen iPad and it looks like it has very nice improvements, I hope the jailbreak will carry over to that hardware! I suppose probably not, though....

Hey they say that SHatter is going to be a permanent jailbreak , does that mean that if I ever need to go to the Genius bar (idiot bar I can unjailbreak so they can fix it ?

I also have the 4th gen ipod touch so I would like to be able to unjailbreak , is that a possibility ?

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Hey they say that SHatter is going to be a permanent jailbreak , does that mean that if I ever need to go to the Genius bar (idiot bar I can unjailbreak so they can fix it ?

I also have the 4th gen ipod touch so I would like to be able to unjailbreak , is that a possibility ?[/QUOTE]

You can unjailbreak by restoring and you can restore from your iTunes backup, so you don't lose anything other then the jailbreak and any jailbreak apps you had. And in the case of SHAtter you'll always be able to rejailbreak, if you want, even if you restore to a newer firmware. EDIT: and that's what they mean about it being permanent - Apple can't firmware update away your jailbreak.

One important thing to note: just because you can jailbreak doesn't mean that everything you can install via Cydia will work with 4.1 (or 4.2 or whatever). The software may need to be updated for whatever version of the firmware you are running. Probably some stuff will break. You could even put your iPod touch into a sorry state by installing something low level that's incompatible... but you can always restore to get back to square one and then start over.

[quote name='Elite Bushido™']isnt a tethered jailbreak when you have to rejailbreak every time the phone gets turned off?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if that's exactly what happens, but yes, you have to connect to your computer and use a tool to get it to boot. Let's hope it's not tethered! There's no legitimate word on if it is or isn't, so we just have to wait.

The reason for going to 4.1 is, on the iPhone, important bug fixes (proximity sensor, performance for iPhone 3G, perhaps some other things), GameCenter, and in my case also iMovie, which had an update, but the update requires 4.1. I also wanted to buy Awareness, but it's currently 4.1 only. They are promising an update to make it 4.0-4.1, though.

And it's got a $1.99 intro price (99 cents if you have CategoriesSB, which I don't). Nice. Going to buy it now... note that it conflicts with Inififolders (of course), but installing it will uninstall Infinifolders, so no problem. I didn't really like Inififolders approach to expanded folders anyway. It does end up dumping apps that were in folders before onto the main springboard, and seemingly without reason (even folders that weren't more then a page before), so you'll have to reorganize. Otherwise, so far so good. I love how I can no move multiple icons into a folder at once with MultiIconMover.

EDIT: and yes, it's fantastic. I've got one games folder and then subfolders for different genres. Great stuff!

EDIT2: one thing I'm not entirely crazy about is how it closes the folders after you open an app in them. Sometimes that's good, but often it just means I have to renavigate back to where I was. Wouldn't be a big deal except that you've got hierarchies of folders now. Not a deal killer, though. Another thing I really love, on the other hand, is how you can turn off the folder opening and closing animation - soooo much faster now! Lastly, one thing I'm not looking forward too is losing Folder Enhancer once the SHAtter 4.1 jailbreak drops! The current version of Folder Enhancer isn't compatible with 4.1. Hopefully they get the 1.1 update out before SHAtter....

I've created a list on twitter consisting of some of the key figures in jailbreaking. I'm open to additions to the list. I'll also add a link to this to the OP. You don't need to have a twitter account to view this, I don't think, but tell me otherwise:

http://twitter.com/#!/crunchewy/jailbreak

Going there will show the tweets of these folks. Some of them tweet more about non-jailbreak stuff, but still worth checking out.

so i installed folderenhancer and everything were in the correct folders from the start but i cant scroll the folders....

Sideways. Swipe sideways, like normal pages on springboard! Or is that not the problem? I can swipe left/right to move between pages within folders.

You get the little dots at the bottom too, so you know you've got multiple pages, how many, and where you are within them. So much better then Infinifolders.

Oh, oh! And you can move icons between pages within a folder just like in the normal springboard! I.e. hold at left/right edge to jump between pages while moving an icon. They've really got it down quite nice.

yea figured it out after i posted, i do like the sideways thing better.

hope theres some backgrounds coming out for it soon because i hate that default one, ive tried a bunch of folder backgrounds but none work...

[quote name='Elite Bushido™']yea figured it out after i posted, i do like the sideways thing better.

hope theres some backgrounds coming out for it soon because i hate that default one, ive tried a bunch of folder backgrounds but none work...[/QUOTE]

pulled from a site another site i visit:

Can I use my own folder wallpaper image?

Yes. The image file is located at:

/System/Library/CoreServices/
SpringBoard.app/
FEFolderBG.png

(Use [email protected] for devices with retina displays).

Overwriting this file is not recommended, though, as it will be replaced with each FolderEnhancer upgrade.

Instead, the recommended method is to use WinterBoard (by Jay Freeman, available for free via Cydia).

The WinterBoard path to use is:

Some.theme/Bundles/
com.apple.springboard/
FEFolderBG.png

So, did anyone else sync after having installed Folder Enhancer? It blew my folders all to hell and everything was dumped onto the top level of the springboard. Anyone else have this happen? I think every folder that had subfolders was ripped apart. Basically everything I had other then the first page and a couple things on the 2nd. Sucks. I'm going to experiment and make some folders with subfolders just with a few things and see if they get ripped apart again.

EDIT: I've figured it out. If you *view* the Apps tab in iTunes (for your iPhone), and then either then or later, click apply, it will rip your folders apart when it syncs. You don't even have to make any changes there, just viewing it will do it. So, I guess lesson learned, but it sucks. I hope they can figure out a way to avoid that. I actually was using the Apps tab to remove some apps I didn't want on my phone any more, but in my noted experiment, I just viewed the apps tab and then switched away from it and click Apply. The Apps tab also takes a long time to load, which I guess makes sense in retrospect - it was exploding my app folders. Anyway, if you use Folder Enhancer, do not view the Apps tab, or if you do, don't click the Apply button at any point after that. Just disconnect it and reconnect it and start over, and don't click the Apps tab.

I have a 32GB 3GS on 3.0. Is there a way for me to jb right now? I never upgraded because I needed my tethering hack. But I suppose I could jb and pay $20 for MyWi.

MorPhiend, I don't know the answer. Not sure if you can jailbreak 3.0. What was your tethering hack that didn't require a jailbreak? Hopefully we'll have a 4.1 jailbreak soon and that will make it a moot point. It sounds like it ought to be pretty soon now.

Also, I've been having stability issues with Folder Enhancer. I'm not sure if it's Folder Enhancer itself, or the combination with MultiIconMover. Sometimes when using MultiIconMover's functionality to move multiple icons into a folder or subfolder, my iPhone crashes and then when it comes back up I'm in safe mode. Rebooting again leaves me with a springboard arrangement that is several steps back from that last move of icons. I mean even stuff I'd done a while before ends up dumped back out of their folders. I've now removed MultiIconMover and will see if it's any better. Also I'm not sure if this might be related to the incident with viewing the Apps tab in iTunes causing all my folders to be ripped apart. I don't seem to recall InfiniFolders having that problem, incidentally. Hopefully, then, Folder Enhancer's developer can figure out a way to avoid it too. EDIT: I did send in a problem report about that.

There's an update today for Folder Enhancer that is supposed to fix the exploding folders problem and I'm thinking it will probably work because it reset my folder layout to exactly how it was before I ever installed Folder Enhancer. Meaning including folders with more then 12 items from when I had InfiniFolders. Yeah!

Moreover I had been having problems including Zenonia not loading ever (but loading when I booted into Safe Mode) and that seems to be resolved now. I'm going to reinstall MultiIconMover as I'm guessing tge instability I'd been having was probably due to the buggier version of Folder Enhancer.

i remember i used to be able to sync my phone even *cough*free apps*Cough* but now when i try to do it, itll remove them from my phone... i think i might have changed a setting someone along the line but i cant figure out what it is

I don't want any discussion of piracy in this thread. That's not allowed on CAG and besides that you're a complete and utter ass if you steal software that only costs a handful of dollars (or less) anyway and, moreover, many of which go free for periods of time. Just don't do it and don't discuss it here. Now, if that's not what you were talking about (yeah), then ignore this.

[quote name='crunchewy']MorPhiend, I don't know the answer. Not sure if you can jailbreak 3.0. What was your tethering hack that didn't require a jailbreak? Hopefully we'll have a 4.1 jailbreak soon and that will make it a moot point. It sounds like it ought to be pretty soon now.[/QUOTE]

help.benm.at was a webpage that you would go to on your phone, slide the slider bar and it would install mobileconfigs for tethering and MMS back before 3.1 came out.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't want any discussion of piracy in this thread. That's not allowed on CAG and besides that you're a complete and utter ass if you steal software that only costs a handful of dollars (or less) anyway and, moreover, many of which go free for periods of time. Just don't do it and don't discuss it here. Now, if that's not what you were talking about (yeah), then ignore this.[/QUOTE]

:cough:

ugh I wish there was some kind of beta for the 4.1 jailbreak (ipod touch 4g) !! I really want to customize my ipod the way it deserves to be customized !!!

Greenpoison official ETA 10/10/10 at 10:10:10 AM! Not sure of time zone. Retweet by Chronic Dev Team:

RT @p0sixninja Things have progressed to the point where we don't expect anymore roadblocks. ETA for greenpois0n is 10/10/10 at 10:10:10AM

October 7, 2010 4:35:25 PM
from Twitterrific

FYI, we're going to get the jailbreak on Sunday, but right now very little in the Cydia store has been tested with 4.1. I think some stuff may not even install, but there may be other stuff that does install, but may cause problems and/or not work. Folder Enhancer, for example, currently does not work with iOS 4.1, but an update is promised.

Not interested in updating from 4.0.1. I have everything perfect and don't feel like doing all that shit again and waiting foe things to be compatible. If someone gets hdr and gamecenter working on 4.0.1, yay.....if not I'm more than happy with my current setup.

[quote name='crunchewy']Greenpoison official ETA 10/10/10 at 10:10:10 AM! Not sure of time zone. Retweet by Chronic Dev Team:

RT @p0sixninja Things have progressed to the point where we don't expect anymore roadblocks. ETA for greenpois0n is 10/10/10 at 10:10:10AM

October 7, 2010 4:35:25 PM
from Twitterrific[/QUOTE]

This is seriously the best news I have heard all day !

And now the bad news for some. It turns out that the idea that this would unlock all devices was a rumor!! It only supports iOS devices with an A4 chip:

RT @chpwn Please remember that SHAtter and greenpoison are /only/ possible on the fourth-gen devices: iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4G.

October 7, 2010 7:44:46 PM
from Twitterrific

[quote name='Malik112099']Not interested in updating from 4.0.1. I have everything perfect and don't feel like doing all that shit again and waiting foe things to be compatible. If someone gets hdr and gamecenter working on 4.0.1, yay.....if not I'm more than happy with my current setup.[/QUOTE]
4.1 malik not 4.0.1 ;D

and when the jailbreak is released i wont jump on it right away because a lot of apps dont support it. hopefully its not tethered(supposedly confirmed to be untethered) and my themes will work because a lot of the features i use are kinda dead from the dev

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back