Official iOS Jailbreaking Thread [4.1 Greenpois0n Mac version out! 10.6 only so far]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they get the jailbreak out soon. I really want Game Center.... I'm thinking of updating (and losing my jailbreak), grabbing my gamertag and playing with Game Center a bit, then reverting back to 4.0.1 and jailbreaking again. But I'd rather just be able to update and keep it.

Tweeked my lockscreen a little bit.

QZ8Sk.jpg

[quote name='Malik112099']How is that better Elite? I don't want to have to unlock my phone to see all that stuff. That's the point of all that being accessable via the lockscreen.[/QUOTE]
yea the clock is on the lock screen(HTC clock for lockinfo)
have you been able to get the full calender to actually just stay up? itll randomly show then go away... annoying

[quote name='Immortal fWd']Anyone have any cool themes they are using? I like G.O.C. Pro. Costs a couple of bucks but it's by far my favorite complete theme.

a7zOE.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm using the Philadelphia Eagles theme :cool:

I downloaded vWallpaper and it's pretty cool but it's a battery hog. The L4D vWallpaper is pretty cool though.

Here's a screenshot of my current theme:

976e8d3c.jpg

Here are some others I use as well:

Fallout 3
ad405b3c.jpg

a66da17d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather like RockApp. It's way faster then Cydia and better organized. I hope RockApp isn't going away, rather I hope Cydia is going away, with RockApp replacing it. Or some merging of the two.

Anyway, all I really care about right now is getting the 4.1 jailbreak, and for it to not be "tethered". I don't have any experience with a tethered jailbreak, but it sounds pretty awful. Is it correct that if you run out of power you can't just charge your phone you *have* to connect it to your computer just to be able to boot it? I'm not sure I can live with that.

[quote name='crunchewy']I rather like RockApp. It's way faster then Cydia and better organized. I hope RockApp isn't going away, rather I hope Cydia is going away, with RockApp replacing it. Or some merging of the two.

Anyway, all I really care about right now is getting the 4.1 jailbreak, and for it to not be "tethered". I don't have any experience with a tethered jailbreak, but it sounds pretty awful. Is it correct that if you run out of power you can't just charge your phone you *have* to connect it to your computer just to be able to boot it? I'm not sure I can live with that.[/QUOTE]

Hey if you want more info on Saurik buying out Rock go to the main page of www.ipodtouchfans.com and it is there main article on the first page.

Ed_ what's the name of the bottom theme with the corners tucked in?

Cruch- rock sucks ass and messes up a lot of packages. It is already gone. Cydia has all the rock apps through the cydia store already. Thank god.

Also, do more research. A tethered jailbreak does nothing but require the use of a computer. Nothing else changes. How the fuck would a dead phone know of it's connected to a computer or not? You run off on wild bullshit tangents all the time.

[quote name='Malik112099']Ed_ what's the name of the bottom theme with the corners tucked in?

Cruch- rock sucks ass and messes up a lot of packages. It is already gone. Cydia has all the rock apps through the cydia store already. Thank god.

Also, do more research. A tethered jailbreak does nothing but require the use of a computer. Nothing else changes. How the fuck would a dead phone know of it's connected to a computer or not? You run off on wild bullshit tangents all the time.[/QUOTE]

actually a tethered jailbreak means that if the device goes dead or if it crashes and shutsdown you have to reconnect it to a computer and jailbreak it again ( you will still have all your information and stuff from cydia ).

HERE IS MORE INFO : http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_tethered_and_untethered_jailbreak

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=833099

It's the MP2 iOS4 theme.

The advantage that Rock had over Cydia was allowing you to soft restart after removing apps, I prefer that instead of respringing each time with Cydia.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I finally installed biteSMS last night, how did I ever go without this?[/QUOTE]

Have you tried Tlert? I like the convenience of it and the customization factor makes it a winner to me. I had bite SMS but have opted for Tlert instead.

IMG_0111.png

signal bars change color depending on reception. also i have 4 folders on my desktop got them to finally look like they are all together for the pic i got

[quote name='crunchewy']I found several places saying a tethered jailbreak requires you to connect to your computer to reboot it if it's been completely powered down, either through powering off or it running dead. Not true Malik?

Example: http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253723[/QUOTE]

YES, if you have a jailbroken device that is tethered and it shutsdown or you turn it off you will have to plug it back in a computer and rejailbreak otherwise it will turn on with a "Connect To Itunes" screen.

That is why tethered = bullshit ;)

IMG_0111.png

signal bars change color depending on reception. also i have 4 folders on my desktop got them to finally look like they are all together for the pic i got

Hey that's pretty nifty. What's the theme called?

EDIT- never mind I found the Atari Girl Theme.

Can someone help me on how to get my weather to show on my lockscreen?

I have tried installing lockinfo and using that, but i keep getting errors when i install the weather plugin for it.

So, Malik, stop being ... whatever it is you are. At the least, do more research next time. ;)

Hopefully the be jailbreak will be an untethered one. If not I guess I'll hope for a jailbreak hack that allows install of Game Center in 4.0.1.

[quote name='Malik112099']I have never had to connect my 3G after a full shutdown with the tethered jb.[/QUOTE]

Then you don't actually have a "tethered jb". You may have had to connect it when initially jailbreaking, but to say that it is a "tethered jailbreak" means that you must connect it to your computer if you power it off completely or run out of power in order to boot it up - it will not boot without doing this. So forget about using your phone if you run dead unexpectedly. Your charger won't help. See:

http://blackra1n.org/2010/03/what-is-tethered-jailbreak/

A little more research, LOL, and a lot less jackassery, would do us all good. Yes?

Let's just hope that it's not a tethered jailbreak. I await the news anxiously. I may have to give up on my jailbreak if it's tethered, at least until some untethered jailbreak is released. But lets just keep fingers crossed....

[quote name='crunchewy']A little more research, LOL, and a lot less jackassery, would do us all good. Yes?[/QUOTE]

Think about that the next time you post another dumb rant about your phone which should be in a blog no one is reading. You got me on one fucking thing. Bravo.

mtJJR.gif

P.S. I was jailbroken via blackra1n on my 3G and never had to do anything to reboot the phone. I must have gotten lucky with the bootrom version.

i wondered when crunchchewy was gonna snap. ive been following this thread and every backhanded remark you make about him he always responded, "thanks, may i have another"

I tried to keep it civil regardless, but it got old. :) Now let's return to talking about jailbreaking, including asking questions, which may not always be knowledgable questions. I'll do my best to answer any questions no matter how "stupid", as some might put it. I'm a relative newbie myself, but I've been learning and can pass on anything I've found out so far. It's not a contest.

EDIT: This is the official Chronic-Dev blog (though who has done/is doing what is currently a bit unclear to me) is here, although the page seems to not work 90% of the time. I presume it's being hammered: http://chronic-dev.org/blog/

Chronic-Dev is also on twitter: http://twitter.com/chronicdevteam

[quote name='crunchewy']I tried to keep it civil regardless, but it got old. :) Now let's return to talking about jailbreaking, including asking questions, which may not always be knowledgable questions. I'll do my best to answer any questions no matter how "stupid", as some might put it. I'm a relative newbie myself, but I've been learning and can pass on anything I've found out so far. It's not a contest.

EDIT: This is the official Chronic-Dev blog (though who has done/is doing what is currently a bit unclear to me) is here, although the page seems to not work 90% of the time. I presume it's being hammered: http://chronic-dev.org/blog/

Chronic-Dev is also on twitter: http://twitter.com/chronicdevteam[/QUOTE]

amen brother

It is possible to take all those damnable "theme" listings out of Cydia's "Changes" tab, however doing so also removes themes from the "Sections" tab, so it's not ideal, but since it makes the "Changes" tab actually useful I still recommend it unless you're big on all those horrible (completely and utterly IMHO, of course :) ) themes. Hopefully the Cydia folks will allow us to remove stuff from the Changes tab without removing them from the Sections tab. Anyway, you can do this by tapping on the "Sections" tab at the bottom of Cydia. Then click the "Edit" button at the upper right. Then turn off all the Themes ones. There's a lot of them, unfortunately, but there you go. When done, tap the "Done" button. If you want them back you'll have to do this again and turn them back on. You might also want to turn off the Ringtones and Wallpapers ones too. Now my Changes tab is much more usable.

EDIT: I also updated the OP with some info on the 4.1 jailbreak (no, not out yet, but links to some useful twitter feeds and blogs), and I expanded the "useful apps" section quite a bit.

IMG_0111.png

What are all the installed packages there?

I ask because I don't think my phone is handling themes properly. I downloaded/installed the Atari Girl theme, but, it seems like I *just* have a wallpaper. No changed lock screen/icons/etc.

Also, I still cannot get battery changers to work on my phone. I sat with a friend and we applied identical settings, and his worked fine. I've tried seraching, but "fixes" I found haven't helped.

I downloaded Tlert a while back and my trial was supposed to have run out two days ago but for some reason I am still able to use it and customize it. When I go into the app it says today is the last day; it's said that the last two days but works normal. I'm gonna hold off as long as I can :twisted:

[quote name='Ed_']I downloaded Tlert a while back and my trial was supposed to have run out two days ago but for some reason I am still able to use it and customize it. When I go into the app it says today is the last day; it's said that the last two days but works normal. I'm gonna hold off as long as I can :twisted:[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that's a snafu in the transfer to Cydia? In any case, while I don't get a lot of SMS's so I don't have a great deal of need for Tlert, it did get me to install Elert, and while I wish it had more of the features of Tlert, it's still pretty slick. It's also cheaper. I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but so far it seems to work well. It does make me wish, though, that it was a unified package that handled all notifications, with Tlert's features for SMS, and Elert for email, and then just this style "pop-up" for other notifications.

And wouldn't you know that right after I came to check the thread it stopped working :lol: I'm going to hold off on buying it to see if I can get adjusted to bite SMS. I downloaded elert, though as I certainly need that for work. The cool part is that I'm going to get them to pay for the elert app, even if it's only a couple of bucks :)

[quote name='Rig']What are all the installed packages there?

I ask because I don't think my phone is handling themes properly. I downloaded/installed the Atari Girl theme, but, it seems like I *just* have a wallpaper. No changed lock screen/icons/etc.

Also, I still cannot get battery changers to work on my phone. I sat with a friend and we applied identical settings, and his worked fine. I've tried seraching, but "fixes" I found haven't helped.[/QUOTE]
yea i was confused when you said you got my theme... cuz its not actually "a" theme.

theres the wallpaper, clear folder icons for ios4, glasskart hd, infinifolder and infinidocklockinfo, htc clock for lockinfo, androidlock xt, clock hide, iconoclasm, 7x6 iconoclasm layout

iblank, no iconshadows iblank, no icon shadow, no docked icon shadow, color signal bars, transparent icon labels, i4 no page dots, no docked icon labels 4.0, transparent dock 4.0, Weatherfurik(this is the one on the desktop)

and finally clear lockscreen 4.0

:applause:

and i dont remember where i got the wallpaper from, if you could tell me that be nice because i got some weird saved by the bell wallpaper to match it right now >_>
IMG_0113.png

[quote name='Malik112099']An app that does folders in folders is suppossed to hit cydia soon.[/QUOTE]
whats the point if you have infinifolder

[quote name='Elite Bushido™']whats the point if you have infinifolder[/QUOTE]

I suppose subfolders for types. So:

Games -> Platform
Games -> Puzzle

etc. But having to navigate folders within folders sounds pretty inconvenient. I'm not entirely thrilled with Infinifolders, though - you can't tell when you first go into a folder that there is anything to scroll down to. You need to know that there is and/or try it and find out. So for that reason subfolders might be better after all.

[quote name='crunchewy']I suppose subfolders for types. So:

Games -> Platform
Games -> Puzzle

etc. But having to navigate folders within folders sounds pretty inconvenient. I'm not entirely thrilled with Infinifolders, though - you can't tell when you first go into a folder that there is anything to scroll down to. You need to know that there is and/or try it and find out. So for that reason subfolders might be better after all.[/QUOTE]
pretty sure youll know >_>

and folderenhancer looks kinda sexy, opens a small doorway for some droid themes to be better

Ahh. FolderEnhancer looks like it avoids the hidden icon issue (and there have been times I've forgotten I've got more then shown) by using the same pages approach as the main pages. Nice. Hopefully it works well and isn't too expensive.

For some reason I had though Action Menu wasn't working in iOS 4, but it is, and it sure is nice. I ended up buying the add-on pack, mainly for the clipboard history, which is something I've wanted since forever. Unfortunately that feature doesn't quite do everything I want as SplashID seems to wipe the history, or perhaps just ignore it, when copying to the clipboard. There is a way around it, and that's to edit the entry, then manually copy the fields you want, but it's a kludge. That's what I mainly wanted this for, but the other features are nice too. One free add-on, TinyURL, doesn't seem to work, though. It just gives an error every time I try to use it on a URL. The Locate feature is cool. Pastes a google maps URL for your current location via GPS. The Send to Pastie is nice too. Sends the current selection to Pastie.org and copies the URL for it to the clipboard, although there's no way to set an account. It's all anonymous.

Anyway, at the least you should check out the free basic version, which has nice stuff like favorites for pasting. That's handy all by itself. At first I was unclear how to use it, but it soon becomes obvious - anytime you are using the copy/paste feature of iOS you get new choices in the menu of choices for what to do with the selection (or paste).

Beta of redsn0w 4.1 jailbreak is out for iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2nd generation only. I have no way to test this and it's a beta so I'm not going to update the thread title yet. Also if your iPod touch 2G has an "MC" model, this jailbreak is tethered. If your iPhone 3G is unlocked you shouldn't use this jailbreak because you'll lose your unlock. Lastly, this does NOT use the Shatter exploit.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1160213613/redsn0wier

EDIT: currently the unlock tool is Mac OS X x86 only - Windows is coming.

EDIT2: if anyone uses this, please report your results. If it seems to be working I'll add it to the OP.

FYI, looks like we could be in for a long wait on the Shatter-based jailbreak. ipod2g tweeted:

@bereiko There's nothing you can do now, apart waiting. Don't expect an unlock tomorrow tho. It could take a _long_ time.
2:04 PM Sep 21st via web in reply to bereiko

So given that, is it possible for Gamecenter to be ported to 4.0 by some jailbreak hacker? I haven't really had any problems with the proximity sensor on my iPhone 4, so I pretty much just want Gamecenter. In any case, I won't be updating to 4.1 until there is a jailbreak (for the iPhone 4). Too many good things via jailbreak.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, looks like we could be in for a long wait on the Shatter-based jailbreak. ipod2g tweeted:

So given that, is it possible for Gamecenter to be ported to 4.0 by some jailbreak hacker? I haven't really had any problems with the proximity sensor on my iPhone 4, so I pretty much just want Gamecenter. In any case, I won't be updating to 4.1 until there is a jailbreak (for the iPhone 4). Too many good things via jailbreak.[/QUOTE]

haha so there could actually be a jailbreak for 4.2 before 4.1 (yes I know 4.2 isnt released yet lol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back