Official iOS Jailbreaking Thread [4.1 Greenpois0n Mac version out! 10.6 only so far]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my iPhone just crashed, and then I turned it back on, and it promptly crashed again. I then put it to a charger, and it acted like the phone had zero battery, but the battery meter said it had approximately 30 percent left when it crashed. Any ideas?

I have SBSettings and BiteSMS.

I haven't had crash problem at all relating to sbsettings or activator (a new activator update came out yesterday I think btw). Most of me springboard crashes come from mixing and matching apps that don't play well together but there is usually a fix. Just requires research.

I got LockInfo yesterday. Been wanting something basic to make my lockscreen useful and this fits the bill perfectly.

ODoXm.jpg

That looks classy and clean.

Must be nice to have 3 days off in a row, or have you just not put anything in your calendar? We can just play pretend anyway.

[quote name='Ziv']That looks classy and clean.

Must be nice to have 3 days off in a row, or have you just not put anything in your calendar? We can just play pretend anyway.[/QUOTE]

i work a 6-on 3-off schedule...i have 3 days off every "weekend" :D

Question about unlocking: I downloaded ultrasn0w from Cydia, and at the end of the process, it asked me to reload the springboard. I did, and now it's back at the home screen. Is it unlocked now, or is there anything else I need to do? I guess I was looking for some kind of confirmation or something.

Question about unlocking - if you uninstall ultrasn0w is it then locked again? If not, any way to undo it? We don't need the 3GS unlocked so I'd like to undo it.

I've reinstalled, first Activator and yesterday SBSettings, but first I searched for every folder and file that seemed to gave to do with either and tossed them out, to clean the slate. I'm not sure if that resolved it or if it was that update to Activator that was mentioned, but in any case, so far the crashes are gone. I'm especially goad to have Browser Changer back ( which was dependent on SBSettings).

Also tried installing LockInfo and basically like it, but only Calendar ever shows a count of items even though I have them all set to show the count - anyone else see that issue? I'm on the fence about buying it. Will give it some more time before deciding.

Does anyone know what happens if you click the "Don't ask again" button in iTunes when it says there is a firmware update available? Does that result in it not asking and installing the firmware automatically, or does that mean it will stop asking and you have to manually look for firmware? I'm afraid to click that button, but hate it bothering me every time.

Alternatively, can I update to 4.0.2 and still have all my jailbreak apps, or does installing 4.0.2 get rid of them?

Click the button wuss. If you ever want to update you can click on check for updates. Updating to 4.0.2 will cause you to lose the jailbreak and patch the hole that allows the iPhone 4 to be jailbroken.

[quote name='Malik112099']Click the button wuss. If you ever want to update you can click on check for updates. Updating to 4.0.2 will cause you to lose the jailbreak and patch the hole that allows the iPhone 4 to be jailbroken.[/QUOTE]

Ah - thanks, and glad to hear that it doesn't mean "update without asking"! I thought maybe it did because there was a jailbreak hack that made your 4.0.1 iPhone look like 4.0.2 even when it wasn't, ostensibly because it would then stop pestering you about the firmware update. Why produce a hack like that if you can just click the "don't ask again" button? Weird. Plus that hack was apparently problematic.

Can anyone knowledgeable give any insight into this: "Also, if you install SSH, be sure to change both the root password and the password for user "mobile". Otherwise you leave yourself vulnerable. I don't believe there is any risk if you don't install SSH, but someone more knowledgable can correct me on that if not true."

Is it really only necessary if you install OpenSSH? I would like to jailbreak my iphone, but after reading some horror stories online I don't want to leave my phone vulnerable to attack.

I haven't changed the password to my ssh. I have a sbsettings toggle and Only use it here and there. It's not a big deal unless you leave wifi and ssh on while going to an iPhone conference or something like that.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Can anyone knowledgeable give any insight into this: "Also, if you install SSH, be sure to change both the root password and the password for user "mobile". Otherwise you leave yourself vulnerable. I don't believe there is any risk if you don't install SSH, but someone more knowledgable can correct me on that if not true."

Is it really only necessary if you install OpenSSH? I would like to jailbreak my iphone, but after reading some horror stories online I don't want to leave my phone vulnerable to attack.
[/QUOTE]

If you don't install SSH there is no way for anyone to log into your iPhone, because SSH isn't there. You can't log in remotely any other way. If you do install SSH, it is easy enough to change the passwords so I can't see why you wouldn't. When you first log in via SSH as root, just type in "passwd" and follow the prompts. Then "su mobile" to login as user "mobile" and do the same. "exit" twice to log out completely. Now you've got your new passwords in place. Having said that, I would disable SSH except when needed, as Malik suggests. The catch there is you might forget to disable it and then could leave yourself vulnerable. For that reason I would highly recommend changing the passwords as well.

But again, if you don't install SSH, there is no way to log into the iPhone remotely.

I've been trying out various game emulators and they are all fun to play with, but you really need a Wii Remote to play most games. Also, the iPhone 4's screen is just too tiny for most games. Even an ancient game (that I always liked) such as Satan's Hollow, in iMAME4all is pretty ridiculously tiny. It's only playable in landscape, but then the on-screen buttons/your fingers obscure your view a bit. In portrait view the picture is too tiny and the leftmost button is too close to the dpad, making it pretty unplayable. I suppose if your fingers are tiny it wouldn't be a problem. Of course if it's not an action game you can get away with it.

Then their's weirdness like how in iSNES, in portrait mode you can choose between a horizontally squashed view if you turn scaling off, or a cropped full screen view if scaling is on (or is it stretched?) Pretty irritating. Oh well.

All the control troubles and even most of the screen-too-small troubles go away when using a Wii Remote, with the iPhone landscape. The only problem is that makes it no longer portable, and even at home you have to rig up some way to stand up your iPhone. I wish I had a stand for it. Well, really I wish I had an iPad. On an iPad all the control's in the way and screen too small troubles would obviously be gone. I'm hoping Apple announces a new 7" iPad today. I suppose that's not likely, but if they do I'm going to be hard pressed not to buy it. The current iPad is just a little too big, and the pixel density too low. A 7" iPad would be a lot better for me.

EDIT: of course if they announce a new iPad, I wouldn't be able to jailbreak it anyway. At least not yet.

[quote name='crunchewy']But again, if you don't install SSH, there is no way to log into the iPhone remotely.[/QUOTE]

Thanks crunch. Total noob follow-up question: If I install apps downloaded from Cydia (through any of the various repos), is there a possibility that, since these apps don't really have to go through the same QA process as those in iTunes, they could include some malicious code or even transmit data from my phone (emails, texts, etc) to some mysterious recipient?

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Thanks crunch. Total noob follow-up question: If I install apps downloaded from Cydia (through any of the various repos), is there a possibility that, since these apps don't really have to go through the same QA process as those in iTunes, they could include some malicious code or even transmit data from my phone (emails, texts, etc) to some mysterious recipient?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely yes. It's a wild world out there. You pays your money, you takes your chances. I haven't run into any of this in my short stay so far, mind you, but there's certainly no reason why it couldn't happen. Same as on a computer. The only thing is that the market is so small (there's lots and lots of iOS devices, but only a tiny portion of those are jailbroken), that it's probably quite unlikely to ever be big problem - there's much bigger markets to tap for such folk. Not worth the trouble. Having said that, I'm not an expert on the subject. I'm going on intuition here. :)

[quote name='Ed_']Are we allowed to discuss cracked versions of jailbroken apps? :)[/QUOTE]

no, that's illegal....but whether or not you have the cracked version you can still discuss the app...same goes for appstore apps

Anyone else have ScreenDimmer? I loved it, but after the last update (to it) it stopped working for me. Wondering if anyone else sees the same issue (or not)?

[quote name='crunchewy']Anyone else have ScreenDimmer? I loved it, but after the last update (to it) it stopped working for me. Wondering if anyone else sees the same issue (or not)?[/QUOTE]

what version do you have ?

That's pretty cool EB, I have the fallout 3 pip boy theme setup with MGS sound effects and the android lock screen. I'm too lazy to post a pic, though. :lol:

Anyhow, I like MyWi. I took a trip out of town with the gf last week and instead of taking the laptop like we usually do, I just brought along the iPad and iPhone; used MyWi instead of using the hotel's wifi for $13 a day. :cool:

How is that better Elite? I don't want to have to unlock my phone to see all that stuff. That's the point of all that being accessable via the lockscreen.

Hey all,

I just recently re-jailbroke my Ipod Touch 32gb 2nd Gen (restored it in order to use multi-tasking in iOS4, then learned that 2G can't do it), and I'm wondering what the best sources/packages/tweaks are that you guys have discovered.

I've looked around the internet, but most people just give sources, etc. that are filled with tons of useless crap.

I'm looking for some cool, fleshed-out themes (wallpaper, dock, lock screen, the works!), as well as some useful/handy apps for the ipod itself.

Thanks as always!

Hey does anyone have an approximation of how long it will take to jailbreak the newly announced ipod touch that gets released on the 8th ? a month, 2 months, 3 month, A YEAR ?

[quote name='Malik112099']Relatively quickly. Comex is already working on the 4.1 jb.[/QUOTE]

comex ? do they have a website ? I am only asking because I would like to know as soon as it is available

My ScreenDimmer version is 1.45 I believe there was a dash and another number, but that doesn't show up in settings for it. Whatever the currently available version is. I tried deleting and reinstalling but it made no difference.

Also, I can't wait for the 4.1 jailbreak. How do you go about upgrading once it's out? Do you just update to 4.1 then rejailbreak, or is there some way to upgrade to 4.1 without killing the existing jailbreak?

EDIT: curiously enough, ScreenDimmer has started (mostly) working again. Unfortunately "mostly" doesn't include my favorite feature - disabling dimming when charging. Regardless of what setting I choose for that option, On or Off, it dims while charging. This with stock sync cable and supplied Apple charger. :( That's 80% of what I liked about ScreenDimmer. i even tried trashing the preferences file, but it didn't help. it did reset all the settings, but disabling dimming/locking while charging still doesn't work. Actually I think it is disabling locking, but not dimming. Oh well. Hopefully the next update will fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got lockdown pro. Now I don't feel odd when co workers ask to play with my phone. I lock my emails & texts :cool:

Hey guys what if mine is 4.0.2? can i still jailbreak it? do you guys know another site or how to downgrade back to 4.0.1?

[quote name='Trojann']Hey guys what if mine is 4.0.2? can i still jailbreak it? do you guys know another site or how to downgrade back to 4.0.1?[/QUOTE]
You'll have to Restore it back to a previous version (4.0 or 3.1.3 for example). You can find all relevant firmware files here.

FIRST, make sure to back up your device. (I'm not sure, however, if your can reload a backup from a 4.0.2 onto say a 4.0 OS device)

Download the appropriate file to your desktop (or wherever you want). Then in iTunes, while looking at your ipod/iphone summary screen (the one with 'update' and 'restore' options) hold SHIFT and click RESTORE. Then navigate to your downloaded firmware file and select it.

It should then clean off the device and restore it to the selected firmware. You can then attempt to reload your backed-up device profile. I used this just last night to do a fresh jailbreak on my ipod touch 2G and it worked like a charm. Then again, my backup was of a 4.0 firmware, and I reloaded onto 4.0.

You can then proceed to jailbreak it by any means you wish (though I recommend jailbreakme.com on the device itself).

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Are these "SHSH blobs" required for the iPod touch? I know you need them for the iPhone, but wasn't sure about the iPod touch - if they were just related to cell service or not.

Anyway, probably better to wait for the 4.1 jailbreak if you've got a stock 4.0.2 device.

Bummer if true. I don't think I can live without the jailbreak now, but then again, I'd very much like the improvements in 4.1. Sigh. Maybe I'll go without jailbreaking again for a while. Can't decide....

How do you go about reverting to 4.0.1 so that you can rejailbreak, if I want to test out 4.1? I know that I've got "SHSH blobs" stored for 4.0.1 and 4.0.2, but how do you actually use that?

[quote name='Malik112099']A new exploit has been found. Expect a 4.1 jailbreak in the near future.[/QUOTE]

That's what i heard too. From another forum i frequent said this..

"The iPhone Dev team has found a new boot level exploit, which basically means Jailbreak for Life, its a hardware flow, so no matter what apple does, they can't close the hole without rolling out new hardware. this was done with the 3GS, I was one of the unlucky people who received an MC model, which had a different bootloader that prevented the jailbreak. Eitherway, the hackers are always one step ahead of apple! New Jailbreak for 4.1 should be out soon (couple days/weeks)!"

[quote name='ppself']that's what i heard too. From another forum i frequent said this..

"the iphone dev team has found a new boot level exploit, which basically means jailbreak for life, its a hardware flow, so no matter what apple does, they can't close the hole without rolling out new hardware. This was done with the 3gs, i was one of the unlucky people who received an mc model, which had a different bootloader that prevented the jailbreak. Eitherway, the hackers are always one step ahead of apple! New jailbreak for 4.1 should be out soon (couple days/weeks)!"[/quote]

win

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back