Official LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS Thread !

2 hours in and I'm loving it. The Twilight Realm's design made me ruin my pants, great art style in this game.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I just watched my bf beat this game (probably won't ever get to it myself). Took him 46 hours, but he's still missing heart pieces, bugs, etc. I really enjoyed the story and cinematics; I thought the game was very beautiful despite its Gamecube graphics (but whatever, I don't know anything about graphics).

Ending comment:
I bummed Midna broke the mirror, even if appropriate. She's pretty hot... for a weird shadow person. I guess Link's best option is back to Zelda ;)
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, she was pretty hot...I think Link's 2nd best bet is the fishing girl, though.

Ending/Spoiler and difficulty talk:

Did anyone else find this Zelda title to be terribly easy? I mean after OoT and MM, Wind Waker and TP are IMO the easiest of all the Zelda titles. :(

I seriously beat the cave of ordeals without any jars of healing stuff and the last battle sequences were so easy. The 2nd time I went up against Zelda, Dark Beast Ganon, Gannondorf I didn't get hit ONCE.

But I still love this game. Too short for me too. :( I finished it at 35 hours and I was hoping the reviewers were right with their 50+ hour claim!

[quote name='lordwow']Haha, the only part that fustrated me and forced me to look at GameFAQs was

When the carriage thing kept going in circles and the baddies on horseback(or whatever those are) kept respawning.
[/quote]
Yeah that was the part that frustrated me too.

I'm coming right along! About 26 hours in, just beat the 6th dungeon (I think, 7? I lost track ;) )...

I loved the Temple of Time bit, going through the doors, seeing the ToT as it was and then getting to go beyond what they had in OoT. I never played OoT all the way through (I may once I beat TP though. ;) ), but I did get far enough to appreciate this. :)

This game is fantastic. Usually a game of this magnitude, by this time, I just want it to be over. While I'm looking forward to the ending parts of the game, I've already got it in my head to replay the whole thing. :)

I've been taking my sweet time with this game, and I just now beat the first dungeon. Man oh man, what an awesome game this is. If the rest of the game holds up to the levels of the first portion, it's easily the best Zelda game of all time.
A few too many damn spiders for my taste, though - I hate spiders...LOL.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I've been taking my sweet time with this game, and I just now beat the first dungeon. Man oh man, what an awesome game this is. If the rest of the game holds up to the levels of the first portion, it's easily the best Zelda game of all time.
A few too many damn spiders for my taste, though - I hate spiders...LOL.
[/quote]It just gets better. :)

The Final Ganondorf Battle; Link vs. Ganondorf straight up. Just swords. That was fucking AWESOME. It had the right difficulty and was perfect. I loved it

Just finished the game, though now I can focus on getting bugs and all the hearts, fishes, and play some of the other mini games. I really enjoyed it, and didn't use a single guide or anything through the whole game, which really made me enjoy it more.

I normally get frustrated and hit up gamefaqs, but I stuck it out, though sometimes made me walk around for quite a while figuring out what I missed.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']I normally get frustrated and hit up gamefaqs, but I stuck it out, though sometimes made me walk around for quite a while figuring out what I missed.[/quote]

Games like this are so much more satisfying if you figure it out on your own because the solution oftem presents itself if you think hard enough - everything is logical.
I wandered for at least an hour between the second and third dungeons before I realized that the lava rock in death mountain was needed to melt the ice in zora's domain. I was pumped when it finally dawned on me.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']
Yeah, she was pretty hot...I think Link's 2nd best bet is the fishing girl, though.
[/QUOTE]
What about Ilia? I missed most of the parts with her in it (all I know is she had amnesia), but my bf says she's clearly Link's gf cuz she "nags Link all the time". :roll:

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Wait, what? The first dungeon in Ocarina of Time was literally a half hour in.[/quote]Exactly. ;) Played about ten minutes of that, and an hour or so of WW.

Quick easy question I bet the second dungeon about to go onto the third, how far am I away from the
fishing minigame where I get the good pole (the one where I reel with the nunchuck) and can catch the hylean loach?

I'm just starting the second dungeon (amongst the Gorons) and I am so in love with this game. Pacing is just fantastic, story is involving (and a little creepy).

Does anyone else get freaked out by the eerie music in the Twilight Realm, specifically when one of those big bird things is around? Talk about priming the fight or flight response. *shiver*

After I restored the first light spirit (the caribou-looking one), my wife said, "Well SOMEBODY has seen 'Princess Mononoke.'" ;)

[quote name='javeryh']19:26 and I'm only a few rooms into the 3rd dungeon. It's confusing in there![/quote]I daresay the 3rd dungeon might have been the most confusing of the lot for me thus far. I'm just about to embark on the 7th, so we'll see what that has in store for me though. ;)

[quote name='daroga']I daresay the 3rd dungeon might have been the most confusing of the lot for me thus far. I'm just about to embark on the 7th, so we'll see what that has in store for me though. ;)[/quote]
The third dungeon is awesome although I do like the empty creepy feeling of the fifth temple. I really liked the boss battle for the third temple as well. I'm about twenty-eight hours in and I've got to say that the game looks fantastic IMHO. It plays well too.

Side note: I went back to try and experience Wind Waker via 480P on my Wii and it was surreal in how weird it feels to play Zelda with a regular controller. That and it feels even more kiddier than it did when I first played it, especially after trying out Twilight Princess.

[quote name='botticus']Exactly. ;) Played about ten minutes of that, and an hour or so of WW.[/quote]

You should give OOT a little more playtime than that.

Personally, I feel that the game design in OOT was better than in either WW or TP, especially once you hit the halfway point in the game and the world just changes from happy go lucky to utterly depressing hellhole, you know you're in for something special. Really, it's not until you get out of the forest that you realize how good OOT is.

[quote name='javeryh']19:26 and I'm only a few rooms into the 3rd dungeon. It's confusing in there![/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm about there as well.

[quote name='javeryh']19:26 and I'm only a few rooms into the 3rd dungeon. It's confusing in there![/quote]
I too am finding it confusing!

I found the 3rd dungeon to be the most confusing out of all. IMO the later dungeons really aren't too difficult, and some are a bit short compared to the first 3.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I found the 3rd dungeon to be the most confusing out of all. [/quote]

That's business as usual in Zelda games.
The Water Temples are always labyrinthian in design

I thought the 3rd dungeon was pretty easy...didn't get lost once. So far the monkey dungeon took me the longest. I think I'm getting used to the flow of it. Before TP, I only played about 5 hours or so of OOT, and up to the 1st fortress right after you leave Link's island in WW.

Anyone else notice that the boss fight in the third dungeon was straight out of Shadow of the Colossus? this is a good thing of course :) Just wish it lasted longer.

[quote name='Apossum']Anyone else notice that the boss fight in the third dungeon was straight out of Shadow of the Colossus? this is a good thing of course :) Just wish it lasted longer.[/quote]

Oh I defintely noticed that, but man I got absolutely no challenge from that boss. I felt like I was never in any real danger, especially during the second half since I didn't get hit once.

[quote name='Apossum']Anyone else notice that the boss fight in the third dungeon was straight out of Shadow of the Colossus? this is a good thing of course :) Just wish it lasted longer.[/quote] Easy on the spoilers there, pal. ;)

Fighting that boss, I literally had the wiimote upside down in my hand, stabbing the eye thing. I love this game. :)

[quote name='Purple Flames']Oh I defintely noticed that, but man I got absolutely no challenge from that boss. I felt like I was never in any real danger, especially during the second half since I didn't get hit once.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I got snagged a bunch right in the beginning, before I got my pattern down. then i didn't get hit once.
that's how all the boss fights have been going so far though. I love every minute of this game, but some more challenge would be nice.

[quote name='daroga']Easy on the spoilers there, pal. ;)

Fighting that boss, I literally had the wiimote upside down in my hand, stabbing the eye thing. I love this game. :)
[/QUOTE]

haha, yeah!
I had been laying down while playing, in the laziest position possible, but once I got on the eye, I was going nuts wailing on the thing.

Ok I gotta ask: when Link learns a new skill, who else pantomimed the motion he makes where he swings his sword and then sheathes it behind his back with the Wiimote?

I know I'm not the only one :D

[quote name='Purple Flames']Ok I gotta ask: when Link learns a new skill, who else pantomimed the motion he makes where he swings his sword and then sheathes it behind his back with the Wiimote?

I know I'm not the only one :D[/quote]*sheepishly raises hand*

I love pulling that off manually during the game. :) It seems to be if you sheath your sword right after killing an enemy he'll do it. I've only done it twice, so I'm not sure if it's random or something you can purposefully do, but it's way cool and fun when it happens. ;)

Just checking in to say that this game justifies the $250 I spent on the system.
I'm a little over 20 hours in and cleared the
Snowpeak ruins with that big Yeti guy. Good stuff.
. Now I'm just dicking around, fishing, looking for Poes and whatnot. You'd be surprised the shit you come across if you take some time and explore. I've also been trying to pass some levels in that damn rollerball minigame. That shit is DEVIOUS at higher levels.

[quote name='daroga']*sheepishly raises hand*

I love pulling that off manually during the game. :) It seems to be if you sheath your sword right after killing an enemy he'll do it. I've only done it twice, so I'm not sure if it's random or something you can purposefully do, but it's way cool and fun when it happens. ;)[/QUOTE]

I think he does it when you kill certian enimies. He would do it all the time after I killed a plant, but he wouldn't do it after I killed a moblin. I'm not 100% sure about this.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I think he does it when you kill certian enimies. He would do it all the time after I killed a plant, but he wouldn't do it after I killed a moblin. I'm not 100% sure about this.[/quote]he never did it for me after killing a plant :(

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I think he does it when you kill certian enimies. He would do it all the time after I killed a plant, but he wouldn't do it after I killed a moblin. I'm not 100% sure about this.[/QUOTE]

I think you press A to put away your sword right after you kill the last enemy in a group to get him to do the pose. I think that's what I did...

Finally got my component today and so I put the game in. For fuck's sake. The fishing is a little too realistic. I've been sitting here for half an hour. One bite which came off the hook the moment I tried to bring it in. Shit. I'm shutting it off for a while now. Damn it.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Finally got my component today and so I put the game in. For fuck's sake. The fishing is a little too realistic. I've been sitting here for half an hour. One bite which came off the hook the moment I tried to bring it in. Shit. I'm shutting it off for a while now. Damn it.[/quote]

Yeah, the kid's parents apologize and tell you what a POS the rod is and I was like, "Aw, be nice. The kid went out of his way to make it for me." But after about 15 minutes of using the thing I was about ready to beat that child around the head and neck with his sorry ass arts and crafts project.

There are some explicit hints on how to do the fishing earlier in this thread. It is the only part that made my son frustrated, but after someone told us what to do then it took us less than 5 minutes to complete it and move on to the fun stuff. In fact, now my son goes fishing for fun and caught a few piranha fish, but the game won't let you keep them in your record book because they are "forbidden fish."

Not sure where peoples' problem with the fishing comes from... I only missed a fish the first time I threw the line in the water. 5 hours in, probably nearing beating the first dungeon.
I think I've beaten the boss (baboon), unless there's another one farther along (no need to tell me if there is, thanks ;)) - just clearing the rest of the rooms/finding monkeys now.

Not really sure why I'm even spoilering my posts since I think everyone here is well beyond me.

I just finished the desert dungeon, my god that boss was amazing (amazing looking anyway).

You'll have tons of fun botticus. The only zelda I've beaten is wind waker and this game feels so much bigger. I've played all the zeldas except majora's mask, but I've only played a few minutes of those. This game is just fantastic.

At the last level now...

Gosh, the fight with Zant was AWESOME. I know I looked like a total doofus playing his last form as I was soooo into it. Now I'm a little bit into the castle. Are the puzzles really insane in this level? I got to one point with some torches and and unopened door, but gave up after a brief time trying to get it. I've wasted a lot of time playing today so it's off to bed with me now...

[quote name='botticus']Not sure where peoples' problem with the fishing comes from... I only missed a fish the first time I threw the line in the water.[/quote]

I think the fishing problems come from 3 things. First, the instruction booklet only talks about the rod you get later, not the pole, so we were trying to "reel in" the fish. Second, most other games tell you "Fish on" when the fish bites (like, for example, Sonic Adventure 1 with Big the Cat). Here you have to figure out that the bobber is signaling the fish, and "Fish On" only appears after the fact. We got "Fish on" very quickly (by accident, I guess) so we were waiting for the game to tell us this again. And third, the first fish seems to do nothing to advance the story (just updates your log). We knew we had to give a fish to the cat, but thought we were doing something wrong because when we finally caught a fish, the game wouldn't really let us do anything with it.

After much trial and error, I can say that the correct way to do Link's sword flourish is to sheath your sword immediately after killing an enemy by using one of his special techs. I find the first one you get (the leaping finishing move) to be the easiest one ot do this with.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']You should give OOT a little more playtime than that.

Personally, I feel that the game design in OOT was better than in either WW or TP, especially once you hit the halfway point in the game and the world just changes from happy go lucky to utterly depressing hellhole, you know you're in for something special. Really, it's not until you get out of the forest that you realize how good OOT is.[/QUOTE]

You don't really know what "game design" means, do you? What you described is setting/plot. Game design would be how well the world is put otgether, what you do in it, and how you do it. For example, the fact that the bugs you collect have audio ques AND are much more visible at night is a design improvement over OoT's Skulltullas.

So, you're incorrect. Twilight Princess' game design kicks the pants off of every other Zelda (or, dare I say it, game). OoT was a great game, but TP is OoT done right.

[quote name='SpazX']I just finished the desert dungeon, my god that boss was amazing (amazing looking anyway).[/QUOTE]

Possibly my favorite boss in any game I've ever played. :)

[quote name='daroga']At the last level now...

Gosh, the fight with Zant was AWESOME. I know I looked like a total doofus playing his last form as I was soooo into it. Now I'm a little bit into the castle. Are the puzzles really insane in this level? I got to one point with some torches and and unopened door, but gave up after a brief time trying to get it. I've wasted a lot of time playing today so it's off to bed with me now...
[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, Zant was great. This, I think, is the correct way to revisit bosses at the end of a game, instead of simply making you fight them over. Like I said above, this game is chock full of good game design.

Finally, to address the difficult level in general...it's not nearly as bad as WW, and, in my opinion, slightly harder than OoT or Majora were. The problem is, they didn't upscale the damage enemies did enough as the game progresses, so once you have plenty of hearts, you're probably good. (I still thought the Cave of Trials was a good challenge, though)

[quote name='soonersfan60']There are some explicit hints on how to do the fishing earlier in this thread. It is the only part that made my son frustrated, but after someone told us what to do then it took us less than 5 minutes to complete it and move on to the fun stuff. In fact, now my son goes fishing for fun and caught a few piranha fish, but the game won't let you keep them in your record book because they are "forbidden fish."[/quote]Thanks, I was able to find it. I can't believe that part wasn't explained at all in the manual or in an in-game tutorial. Shit. I would've never figured it out and waited for the prompt.

That was our problem, too--waiting for the prompt. (See my post a few spots up.) Glad you got through that part. Nothing else seems quite that frustrating through the end of the third dungeon so far... :)

[quote name='daroga']At the last level now...

[/QUOTE]

I stayed up till 4:30 AM last night playing. I got to the last boss and couldn't figure out the "trick" to beat him. I'm sure it's not to difficult but it was 4:30 in the morning. I haven't stayed up that late playing video games since collage. Makes me feel young again.

bread's done
Back