Official Microsoft Points and Xbox Live subscriptions Deal Thread - Read rules in OP!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Xbox Live Subscription and Microsoft Currency deal thread!

This thread is for in-store or online deals on Live subscriptions or Microsoft currency/Microsoft Points.

It is NOT for:

• Discussion of Bing Search and using Bing to get currency or other rewards
  • Discussion of exploits related to receiving a free month of Xbox Live
Happy gaming!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='navalg1337']So I got rejected at Target with the old ad and then I went to Walmart only to get rejected again lol. They said they don't price match sale prices?[/QUOTE]

Lol a complete contradiction to thier "ad match " commercials that have been on tv nonstop. Go figure.

Got 5. Checked out with a very nice woman in electronics.

Decided to get 10 more and went to electronics again. Different person went to electronics manager and was denied.
Went to front register was shut down, said it was a limit, they called electronics and said no limit but the item wasn't on sale. They went up one more level, they claimed it was only the one pictured. (I had avatar girl one) I showed them receipt and cards eventually the manager came over and told me that it was only while supplies last on the limited item. (The 1600 points card pictured).

I said it was the same thing, and I know that this Target never had any of the old style cards anyway. Shut down completely. Got 5 so I'm happy about that at least. Angry about getting shutdown for more though.

Try telling them that Bait and switch is an illegal tactic. Like I said before, there was no indication of how many you can buy. If you bring in their own ad, you have better ground to stand on. 1600 points = 1600 points. Just like a $20 bill printed in 1990 has the same monetary value as one that that is printed now. They were making up their own rules to fit the situation. I'm gonna go get more cards later to see if they'll try this BS on me.

[quote name='deman8899']Got 5. Checked out with a very nice woman in electronics.

Decided to get 10 more and went to electronics again. Different person went to electronics manager and was denied.
Went to front register was shut down, said it was a limit, they called electronics and said no limit but the item wasn't on sale. They went up one more level, they claimed it was only the one pictured. (I had avatar girl one) I showed them receipt and cards eventually the manager came over and told me that it was only while supplies last on the limited item. (The 1600 points card pictured).

I said it was the same thing, and I know that this Target never had any of the old style cards anyway. Shut down completely. Got 5 so I'm happy about that at least. Angry about getting shutdown for more though.[/QUOTE]

I left my Ad at target Thursday night, have not managed to find one (on return visit) so no PM'ing..rats...Walmart had tons in stock as well but I had no proof.

if you need copies of the misprinted ad go so Slickdeals Black Friday Section.
just print out page 1-6, that's what I did for the price match.

was able to get 4 this morning at 7am when Walmart opened.

[quote name='T1NY']Try telling them that Bait and switch is an illegal tactic. Like I said before, there was no indication of how many you can buy. If you bring in their own ad, you have better ground to stand on. 1600 points = 1600 points. Just like a $20 bill printed in 1990 has the same monetary value as one that that is printed now. They were making up their own rules to fit the situation. I'm gonna go get more cards later to see if they'll try this BS on me.[/QUOTE]

Bait and switch laws have changed and vary by state now. Having said that if there is a "printing error" i believe they have a requirement to post such error so it is readily available information.

Also you can always File a complaint with your state attorney general, it will get back to the department store And they have to follow up on it.

I was happy to find 4 of the White 1600 point cards hidden behind a large amount of the green ones with the avatar girl. I used the price check machine to see if it was $10, it didn't. Still went to check out and they manually changed the price to $10 for me.

Went and gave it a shot at target. They didn't have any of the type pictured in the ad but my wife and I were getting a couple of other things so at check out I asked the girl If she would price check the avatar girl card. It checked at 20 and I just said no thanks and wasn't even going to ask her to honor it. She mentioned, without prompting, that she thought that deal was just for Friday. I said that's fine I just thought it was thru today. She checked the ad saw it was good thru tonight and price adjusted it herself. Was very nice. Grabbed 3 cards.

As far as bait and switch, good luck with that. I don't recall the print ad "saying" anything just showed a pic of the white and green card. That's pretty cut and dry to me. White and green cards are the advertised item. If they're out they're out. Avatar girl cards are not the advertised item.

I went and got five cards around noon today. They had plenty of cards, they were marked as $20. I went to the electronics counter and asked and the guy said they were full price. I said I thought the ad said they were $10. He gave me an ad from behind the counter and I flipped to the page and it showed the 1600 point card (I had one in my pocket from my local paper just in case). He said ok then $10 it is.

He rang them up and must of overrode it in the system and my total was $50 for 8000 points. :)

Edit:
This all happened at Target!

[quote name='donbaloo']As far as bait and switch, good luck with that. I don't recall the print ad "saying" anything just showed a pic of the white and green card. That's pretty cut and dry to me. White and green cards are the advertised item. If they're out they're out. Avatar girl cards are not the advertised item.[/QUOTE]

1600 points still equal 1600 points. Imagine if you are some parent who knows nothing about these cards and this was your main reason going to Target was to get a good deal on MSP. How does the physical appearance of the card make a difference in the points? Then people will be grabbing up the non promotional cards, stand in line for how long during black friday only to find out at the register that these are the wrong 1600 points.

Went to target after seeing this today, they still had the ad posted with the points card on it and I just happened to find just one of the same cards so I grab that with a few others with the avatars on them, but the manager would only adjust the price on the one that's pictured in the ad. Well I happened to go to Walmart as well afterward and they had the exact same card pictured in the target ad so I pulled up the ad on my phone that someone in here posted the link to and I showed them the photo of the target ad I took at the store and they matched the price. They have a ridiculous amount of these cards at the Walmart in Alexandria,va on Richmond hwy.

I just returned from a Target around Baltimore, MD. I snagged fifteen of the 1600 point cards (SKU 79936672311). They had hundreds more. I checked out in electronics, and all I had to do was show the misprinted ad to the cashier. It was no problem at all. Thank you, fellow CAGs. I love you all.

[quote name='T1NY']1600 points still equal 1600 points. Imagine if you are some parent who knows nothing about these cards and this was your main reason going to Target was to get a good deal on MSP. How does the physical appearance of the card make a difference in the points? Then people will be grabbing up the non promotional cards, stand in line for how long during black friday only to find out at the register that these are the wrong 1600 points.[/QUOTE]

But 1600 points wasn't what was advertised. White and green 1600 point cards were advertised. Any parent that knows nothing about that stuff would likely look at the ad and see that the avatar girl card isn't the advertised item and ask someone before waiting in line for the wrong thing. Maybe you see it as splitting hairs. But if it truly was a misprint to begin with then they've got an easy out once they unload the green and whites. Just my interpretation and its no skin off my back. I hope you get what you want out of the deal and don't have to treat anyone like shit to get it.

I got seven at Walmart yesterday morning. I'm considering going to Target tonight for another ten. I'll be in Microsoft points until the Xbox 4. :)

I ended up with 24 different cards from 4 different stores. Here is how my journey went.

I started this afternoon at about 1:00 PM at my closest Super Target. They were no hard copies of the ad available at customer service. Luckily I had a print out of page 6. I grabbed all the available 1600msp cards (15 total) and headed to a front register. The lady gave me some lip but called a manger. Manager called electronics, couldn't figure it out, eventually said she would give me the $10 price but I could only haven 10. I bitched but she wouldn't give, so I took it. After she left the cashier told me to bring the 10 to my car and then come back to the register for the other 5. Nice. The manager also mistakenly left a physical print-out of the ad at the register, which I promptly placed in my bag as soon as she walked away. Time to hit Walmart!

My next stop was Walmart. Before checking out I asked the greeter at the front if I should hit a normal register or customer service. I had maybe 30 cards in my hand. She told me that I couldn't price match gift cards. I said these aren't gift cards. She said I couldn't price match them at all because they can't ring up. I was like WTF? Then she brought me over to a cashier and had her scan one. The register said "CANNOT SELL." I was like "Ok, so if I picked up this merchandise off the shelf and wanted to buy one at regular price, I simply couldn't buy it?" The lady nodded. Kudos to my local Walmart I guess. They friggin' took these cards out of the system, LOL!

Next up was another Walmart. I had another 30 or so cards and headed straight to customer service. The lady was a total bitch and told me I couldn't price match gift cards. I told her these aren't gift cards. She said they can't price match Xbox cards. I pulled up their corporate price match policy on my phone and showed her she was full of shit. She gave me some more lip then called her manager. Manager fought with me some more and again I explained how she was full of it. Manager eventually called the manager of the entire store over. He told her to match the price. Haha, stupid bitch. Then I pulled out my stack of like 30 cards and he was like "OH HELL NO." They let me out with 3. Ah well.

I hit another Target on my way back. They were all out of the white 1600msp cards and I mistakenly grabbed a stack of 4000msp cards. I got to the register and told the cashier that the cards probably wouldn't ring up at the sale price. I showed her the ad. She scanned a card and it said $49.99, she was like "OH MAN" and started to call a manager before I realized I had grabbed the wrong cards. I told her to hold tight and I'd be right back. I went back and grabbed the only remaining 1600msp cards. There were only 6 left and they were the avatar version. I went back to the same cashier and she didn't even check the ad, just scanned my cards and adjusted them down to $10 a piece. Nice.

I'd have preferred more, but considering this was a advertising mistake I'm pretty content with 24. I'm stil jealous of the dudes who managed to snag thousands of dollars worth though. O_O

Still a bunch of avatar girl versions of the 1600 point cards at the Fontana North Target on Summit in California earlier this afternoon. Got a few there and they made the price adjustment no problem.

I'm just glad I was able to get mine when they were still ringing up as $10 without any overrides since I'm horrible at getting price matches.

[quote name='Cephiros']I'm just glad I was able to get mine when they were still ringing up as $10 without any overrides since I'm horrible at getting price matches.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, when was that? I didn't realize they were ever ringing up at $10. Good lord, those who live around me should be thankful that I didn't know about this. :lol:

[quote name='dudejeff22']Holy crap, when was that? I didn't realize they were ever ringing up at $10. Good lord, those who live around me should be thankful that I didn't know about this. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Yeah, some (but not all) cards were ringing up for $10 on Friday morning. They were "fixed" by Friday evening.

[quote name='dudejeff22']I ended up with 24 different cards from 4 different stores. Here is how my journey went.

I started this afternoon at about 1:00 PM at my closest Super Target. They were no hard copies of the ad available at customer service. Luckily I had a print out of page 6. I grabbed all the available 1600msp cards (15 total) and headed to a front register. The lady gave me some lip but called a manger. Manager called electronics, couldn't figure it out, eventually said she would give me the $10 price but I could only haven 10. I bitched but she wouldn't give, so I took it. After she left the cashier told me to bring the 10 to my car and then come back to the register for the other 5. Nice.

My next stop was Walmart. Before checking out I asked the greeter at the front if I should hit a normal register or customer service. I had maybe 30 cards in my hand. She told me that I couldn't price match gift cards. I said these aren't gift cards. She said I couldn't price match them at all because they can't ring up. I was like WTF? Then she brought me over to a cashier and had her scan one. The register said "CANNOT SELL." I was like "Ok, so if I picked up this merchandise off the shelf and wanted to buy one at regular price, I simply couldn't buy it?" The lady nodded. Kudos to my local Walmart I guess. They friggin' took these cards out of the system, LOL!

Next up was another Walmart. I had another 30 or so cards and headed straight to customer service. The lady was a total bitch and told me I couldn't price match gift cards. I told her these aren't gift cards. She said they can't price match Xbox cards. I pulled up their corporate price match policy on my phone and showed her she was full of shit. She gave me some more lip then called her manager. Manager fought with me some more and again I explained how she was full of it. Manager eventually called the manager of the entire store over. He told her to match the price. Haha, stupid bitch. Then I pulled out my stack of like 30 cards and he was like "OH HELL NO." They let me out with 3. Ah well.

I hit another Target on my way back. They were all out of the white 1600msp cards and I mistakenly grabbed a stack of 4000msp cards. I got to the register and told the cashier that the cards probably wouldn't ring up at the sale price. I showed her the ad. She scanned a card and it said $49.99, she was like "OH MAN" and started to call a manager before I realized I had grabbed the wrong cards. I told her to hold tight and I'd be right back. I went back and grabbed the only remaining 1600msp cards. There were only 6 left and they were the avatar version. I went back to the same cashier and she didn't even check the ad, just scanned my cards and adjusted them down to $10 a piece. Nice.

I'd have preferred more, but considering this was a advertising mistake I'm pretty content with 24. I'm stil jealous of the dudes who managed to snag thousands of dollars worth though. O_O[/QUOTE]

What would you do with so many?

So is this officially over? I heard someone say 22-24th? I tried going to my local Target yesterday but they only had the new ads, so neither they nor Wal Mart would PM the cards.

It was quite the waste of a trip for me, cause even when I showed them the electronic ad with the misprint she told me that they cannot accept that since I could have photoshopped the entire ad...

anyone know when is the next time there will be a fifty percent sale like this again? real frustrated about not being able to get a good haul, especially cuz my brother and i plan on getting the 720

[quote name='RobnessMonster']anyone know when is the next time there will be a fifty percent sale like this again? real frustrated about not being able to get a good haul, especially cuz my brother and i plan on getting the 720[/QUOTE]

Discounts like these are almost always mistakes so it may never happen again. It's possible it will, but completely unpredictable. The best you can hope for is $15 for 1600msp or maybe even $35 for 4000msp. Buy.com has done those before but usually does $40 for 4000msp seemingly once every few months so you can anticipate that happening, but the other two are much rarer.

No one's gonna know that. This seems like an ad/pricing goof, not an official sale. The best official sale I've ever seen was $15 at Target, and that was about 3-4 yearss ago.

Congrats if you scored big on this, you lucked out big time if so. This was one of the best scores of the year.

[quote name='2&2']No one's gonna know that. This seems like an ad/pricing goof, not an official sale. The best official sale I've ever seen was $15 at Target, and that was about 3-4 yearss ago.

Congrats if you scored big on this, you lucked out big time if so. This was one of the best scores of the year.[/QUOTE]

i see what you're saying and appreciate all the feedback but i do think this was a legit sale of sorts cuz the system did ring them up at the sale price for a good bit. if it was a misprint, i think they would not have put sale price in system at all and we would have seen posted notices that it was an error.

in any event, i fear u may be right about never seeing a sale like this again. target got cold feet and back peddled as much as possible. good to know what the expected sales will be so i know when to jump in next time.

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']What would you do with so many?[/QUOTE]

Stock up. There's never been a deal this good on MS point cards, and MS points aren't going anywhere any time soon (if they do do away with them with the next system they'll simply convert the unused points to cash). In the long run this will save me a looooot of money.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Stock up. There's never been a deal this good on MS point cards, and MS points aren't going anywhere any time soon (if they do do away with them with the next system they'll simply convert the unused points to cash). In the long run this will save me a looooot of money.[/QUOTE]
There's been numerous rumors of MS eventually moving away from a point-based system. I've haven't bought anything from the Windows 8 store yet, but it looks like they only take real-world money. My primary concern is that when their next system launches they might do the same thing Nintendo did: limit the use of points towards purchases on their previous system and only accept real money in the new store.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']i see what you're saying and appreciate all the feedback but i do think this was a legit sale of sorts cuz the system did ring them up at the sale price for a good bit. if it was a misprint, i think they would not have put sale price in system at all and we would have seen posted notices that it was an error. [/QUOTE]
They posted notices in the newspaper in every area where the ad ran incorrectly stating it was a misprint. The sale price in the system was either goof #2 or (most likely) some higher-up deciding it was better to honor the misprint than deal with angry shoppers on BF.

[quote name='Thrinn']My primary concern is that when their next system launches they might do the same thing Nintendo did: limit the use of points towards purchases for on their previous system and only accept real money in the new store.[/QUOTE]

That's a really stupid comparison. Nintendo didn't have a true account system in place until the Wii U. There was no way for anything to transfer from one console to another unless you did a physical system transfer. My MS points are tied to my Microsoft Account. If MS does away with points with the next system they'll convert the unused points to cash. The media shitstorm that would ensue if they didn't would be catastrophic.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Stock up. There's never been a deal this good on MS point cards, and MS points aren't going anywhere any time soon (if they do do away with them with the next system they'll simply convert the unused points to cash). In the long run this will save me a looooot of money.[/QUOTE]

Meh for me. I don't really buy games from XBLA since most that I want can be gotten on Steam for cheap. I bought a couple cards for the eventual Dragonborn Skyrim DLC and maybe some DLC for Asura Wrath since I got it for 10, but if I spent money on so many cards I'd basically be losing money instead of gaining free dollars.

[quote name='dudejeff22']That's a really stupid comparison. Nintendo didn't have a true account system in place until the Wii U. There was no way for anything to transfer from one console to another unless you did a physical system transfer. My MS points are tied to my Microsoft Account. If MS does away with points with the next system they'll convert the unused points to cash. The media shitstorm that would ensue if they didn't would be catastrophic.[/QUOTE]

Well when you use your MS account on Windows 8 you can't buy any of their Xbox-branded games with your MS points. That doesn't exactly inspire a whole lot of hope, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I rarely buy digital content... if I can buy it on a disc I would much rather do that so I can re-sell it.
Obviously you can't re-sell digital content, once you beat it your it your stuck with it.

[quote name='lochdoun']I rarely buy digital content... if I can buy it on a disc I would much rather do that so I can re-sell it.
Obviously you can't re-sell digital content, once you beat it your it your stuck with it.[/QUOTE]

When I get stuff for cheap on Steam I dont really care about reselling it:D.

[quote name='Gkage']When I get stuff for cheap on Steam I dont really care about reselling it:D.[/QUOTE]
True, I love getting indie games for $1 or $2 during Steam sales!

Bought entirely too many cards from Target, and over-estimated how many my friends would want. Look for me in the trading forum blowing them out. Thanks CAG for making me run around to a half dozen targets... lol

[quote name='Thrinn']Well when you use your MS account on Windows 8 you can't buy any of their Xbox-branded games with your MS points. That doesn't exactly inspire a whole lot of hope, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked Windows 8 isn't the next Xbox. They are two totally different eco systems/stores. This isn't like iTunes.

I guess I got lucky afterall, was able to PM this today at Wal-Mart. The first manager I spoke to said sure, but then the white once werent ringing up. So when another manager came I asked if we can PM the Gears of War once, and she said absolutely not. So I looked for tbe manager I encountered earlier and she said sure no problem. When I was being checked out the second manager came over and saw thay I was getting the gears of war one PMed, so she started making a fuss saying that this is unacceptable and I shouldnt be allowed to get them. Luckily for me the first manager came back and said to leave it be that she approved it. So they kinda stood there arguing, the second manager kept saying the offer expired yesterday and if she does give it to me it should only be one. But thankfully the first manager stuck to her word and allowed me to get the once I had regardless. I was very polite the entire time, which I think helped me out with the managers.

[quote name='seanr1221']Last time I checked Windows 8 isn't the next Xbox. They are two totally different eco systems/stores.[/QUOTE]
That didn't seem to be much of a factor when Microsoft allowed MS points to be used in the Games for Windows store. While Windows 8 is not the next Xbox, it is their latest attempt at establishing a digital storefront; a store where MS points are noticeably absent.

[quote name='seanr1221']They are two totally different eco systems/stores.[/QUOTE]Microsoft is clearly trying to unify the image of those two ecosystems: you've got Metro running on Xbox consoles and Xbox branded games for sale on their Windows digital store.

[quote name='seanr1221']This isn't like iTunes.[/QUOTE]Now that you mentioned it, didn't their Zune service also accept MS points at one point?

[quote name='Thrinn']
Now that you mentioned it, didn't their Zune service also accept MS points at one point?[/QUOTE]

It did all the way up to when it changed to Xbox video / music.

It's funny how the correct item they wanted to discount retails for $25. That is the 3-month Xbox LIVE sub. card. The 1600 points card that was "misprinted" on the original Target Ad retails for $20. It's a 50% savings whereas the 3-month card is more than a 50% savings.

Why people were so excited about the 1600 points cards is that they very rarely go on discount. Xbox Live subs. go on sale every few weeks. Points cards do also but USUALLY NEVER in the 1600 point denomination.

I only bought 1 at Target. Happy with what I got. I'm using it myself.

[quote name='Gkage']Meh for me. I don't really buy games from XBLA since most that I want can be gotten on Steam for cheap. I bought a couple cards for the eventual Dragonborn Skyrim DLC and maybe some DLC for Asura Wrath since I got it for 10, but if I spent money on so many cards I'd basically be losing money instead of gaining free dollars.[/QUOTE]

yes same here i never buy any games on xbla unless its some sort of sale for more of a discount!! i only brought 6 since i had points from before. I was tempted to get more but held back since i will just lose money on overbuying i guess i could sell some to people but that seems like a hassle.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']It's funny how the correct item they wanted to discount retails for $25. That is the 3-month Xbox LIVE sub. card. The 1600 points card that was "misprinted" on the original Target Ad retails for $20. It's a 50% savings whereas the 3-month card is more than a 50% savings.

Why people were so excited about the 1600 points cards is that they very rarely go on discount. Xbox Live subs. go on sale every few weeks. Points cards do also but USUALLY NEVER in the 1600 point denomination.

I only bought 1 at Target. Happy with what I got. I'm using it myself.[/QUOTE]I'd imagine the gross margin on live subs is much higher than points. In one case MS is essentially keeping all proceeds, whereas on points, a portion of that income must be distributed to the publisher/developer of the content. In turn I'm sure that retailers see a difference in price paid for each item to put in their store.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']Why people were so excited about the 1600 points cards is that they very rarely go on discount. Xbox Live subs. go on sale every few weeks. Points cards do also but USUALLY NEVER in the 1600 point denomination.[/QUOTE]

Take THAT, grammar!

I usually always (see what I did there :D) get mine for at least a third off. Buy.com seems to have a sale on either the 1600 or 4000msp cards every few months. Though, sometimes it seems like 6 months or more between sales, so I always try to stock up on about $100 worth of cards and keep a backstock of the same. I knew I would be kicking myself no matter how many I bought of this amazing deal, but I decided to not go overboard and only spend $100 on these cards.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']
Anyone know when is the next time there will be a fifty percent sale like this again?
Real frustrated about not being able to get a good haul,
especially cuz my brother and i plan on getting the 720.
[/QUOTE]

Never ever.

[quote name='2&2']
This seems like an ad/pricing goof, not an official sale.
The best official sale I've ever seen was $15 at Target,
and that was about 3-4 yearss ago.
Congrats if you scored big on this, you lucked out big time if so.
This was one of the best scores of the year.
[/QUOTE]

The Target sale from 3 years ago was buy a $20 1600 MSP card,
get a $5 gift card which is the same as $15.

In 2006, before Xbox Live Arcade had really become successful,
Circuit City had a Buy One Get One Free on 1600 MSP cards.
That was before I even heard of cag though.

However, just last year Walmart.com had them for $15.
The limit was 3, but everyone made multiple orders.
It lasted for 2 days before it dried up.

8219219654_647ab05d2d_z.jpg

I got 8 cards from this Target deal. I was able to get them around Friday afternoon when certain ones were still ringing up at $10 without any sort of price adjustment. And yes I am keeping them all for myself and not trying to flip and profit on any of them.

This is, however, not the best deal I have ever gotten on MS points. Ironically, the best deal I got was also at Target. They had them on sale for $15 but there was also a coupon floating around that was $10 off ANY Xbox 360 accessory. Those coupons had no limit and also happen to work with 1600 MS point cards so I got about 10 cards for $5 a piece. Now that was the ultimate deal. That was at least 3 or 4 years ago.

bread's done
Back