Official Microsoft Points and Xbox Live subscriptions Deal Thread - Read rules in OP!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Xbox Live Subscription and Microsoft Currency deal thread!

This thread is for in-store or online deals on Live subscriptions or Microsoft currency/Microsoft Points.

It is NOT for:

• Discussion of Bing Search and using Bing to get currency or other rewards
  • Discussion of exploits related to receiving a free month of Xbox Live
Happy gaming!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mcdaking84']lol what a piece of crap MS is. there is no reason for the increase[/QUOTE]
What do you mean? ESPN3 is coming (who cares) and improved voice chat! Of course it's worth the extra money!:roll:

[quote name='mcdaking84']lol what a piece of crap MS is. there is no reason for the increase[/QUOTE]

Sure there is, to make more money duh. And even though MS might say the price increase is related to Kinect coming out, I think the fact that COD Black Ops is out in Nov. is a bigger factor in the timing. ;)

[quote name='ravens52bears54']What do you mean? ESPN3 is coming (who cares) and improved voice chat! Of course it's worth the extra money!:roll:[/QUOTE]

I am bad at detecting sarcasm but I hope this was joking.

I think they are increasing to pay for all the Kinect losses they are about to have.

The reality is that they aren't going to lose that many people. We have had our taste of the service and I think its worth the new price. It would be nice if this came with a universal price drop on all live content as well. It would make getting this news much easier. One thing that is weird is how Microsoft(or Major Nelson) uses his blog to announce this type of stuff. Don't they want people going to xbox.com for this type of news? Very strange to me.

Edit - Also awesome is Nintendo announced their handheld price drops today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always hoped PSN's free service would put pressure on MS to lower the price of Live. Guess I didn't take into account all the wonderful features MS would tack on that I don't care about but am expected to pay for. All I want to do is play games with my online friends, not facebook/radio/movies/etc.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']What do you mean? ESPN3 is coming (who cares) and improved voice chat! Of course it's worth the extra money!:roll:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mcdaking84']I am bad at detecting sarcasm but I hope this was joking.[/QUOTE]

You also are bad at looking at smilies. ;)

Well, I came here hoping I'd find a better XBL deal than what Amazon is currently offering, and I ended up biting on the Wal-mart MS points deal instead. Works for me, my current subscription doesn't end til January anyway. Just gotta keep an eye out!

There are two possiblities:

1) This is being done to placate the constant mongering about Activision wanting a piece of the pie.
2) This is being done to rub Activision's nose in it.

I'm not sure which is worse, having to pay for a game I don't play, or the start of a subscription fee arms race.

Allegedly the 'Family Plan' will still be coming this November as well, and will still be $99.
Since I've been buying subscriptions for myself and two other family members, I'll begin to look at this as an option.

When I saw the email in my inbox I was sure that it was a lowering of the price. Damn, I can't believe they have the balls to raise it even further when a lot of people have problems paying 50 as it is.

I refuse to pay any more than 30-35 a year for the service, so hopefully places will still have the occasional deal.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']There are two possiblities:

1) This is being done to placate the constant mongering about Activision wanting a piece of the pie.
2) This is being done to rub Activision's nose in it.

I'm not sure which is worse, having to pay for a game I don't play, or the start of a subscription fee arms race.[/QUOTE]

How would Activision get a piece of the pie? Is it possible to release 10 different subscription memberships a year and get individuals to buy more than one of them?

Gold Account: Prime, Gold Account: Super Duper Mega, Gold Account: Ultra Deluxe, Gold Account: Jonas Brothers, Gold Account Hero, Gold Account of Duty. ;)

It's probably ESPN, they require cable companies to put all their channels (ALL the ESPNs) in a non-premium package, thus jacking up prices for all customers, probably some similar greedy deal with Xbox about raking in more sports money.

All I want is online play, could give a crap about everything else (ESPN, Twitter, Facebook, Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc), why can't I just pick what I want and save cash Microsoft?

I mean, I'm an effing geek, why the hell would I give a crap about ESPN?

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Allegedly the 'Family Plan' will still be coming this November as well, and will still be $99.
Since I've been buying subscriptions for myself and two other family members, I'll begin to look at this as an option.[/QUOTE]

Did they remove the family plan? They were advertising that like crazy in the menus, and I just checked and couldn't find it anywhere. That's weird.

Thankfully I caught enough deals to where I will be good until July 2012. Hopefully by then they will have regained some sense.

I don't want more bullshit like ESPN, facebook, lastfm, crap. I just want it to play games.
This is why Xbox Live gets MW2 maps a month in advance, and Dead Rising Case 0 as exclusives. They pay publishers more $, which eventually comes out of our pockets. I could seriously care less if MW2 PS3 users get the maps at the same time I do. I don't give a shit if they get Case 0. Its not worth having to pay extra for it. I wish publishers would stop encouraging this.

Live has been $50 for 8 years people. 8 years ago you didn't get shit for $50. A $10 increase is nothing. Would I rather not have an increase? Of course, but this day was bound to come eventually.

[quote name='BinaryTB']It's probably ESPN, they require cable companies to put all their channels (ALL the ESPNs) in a non-premium package, thus jacking up prices for all customers, probably some similar greedy deal with Xbox about raking in more sports money.

I mean, I'm an effing geek, why the hell would I give a crap about ESPN?[/QUOTE]

I've heard there is a line of sports games that include Madden, and NBA Live and such that appeal to quite a large audience. ;)

I have no doubt that it's ESPN. Last I read they charge $4 per cable subscriber. So whether you watch their channels or not $4 of your monthly cable bill goes to ESPN. By comparison most other channels are $.05-$.20 cents a piece.

It's not a stretch to think they will be charging something similar for this premium service.

[quote name='Corvin']I've heard there is a line of sports games that include Madden, and NBA Live and such that appeal to quite a large audience. ;)[/QUOTE]
True, then they should just start charging more for those games, why get everybody else to subsidize their new features.

Sorry, just annoyed I guess, there is no opting out of this new stuff I don't want but have to pay for anyway.

[quote name='BinaryTB']True, then they should just start charging more for those games, why get everybody else to subsidize their new features.

Sorry, just annoyed I guess, there is no opting out of this new stuff I don't want but have to pay for anyway.[/QUOTE]
Completely with you. I couldn't care less about ESPN, Facebook, Zune marketplace, Netflix, Hulu, Last.fm etc. but I'm still going to have to pay for them.

I realize MS doesn't give a shit about people like me who are only interested in the base features, but it still sucks.

So as of now, is $39.99 the best deal out there for a 12 month card? This price hike will probably force my hand in renewing soon seeing as my membership is set to expire in February.

[quote name='Corvin']Live has been $50 for 8 years people. 8 years ago you didn't get shit for $50. A $10 increase is nothing. Would I rather not have an increase? Of course, but this day was bound to come eventually.

I've heard there is a line of sports games that include Madden, and NBA Live and such that appeal to quite a large audience. ;)

I have no doubt that it's ESPN. Last I read they charge $4 per cable subscriber. So whether you watch their channels or not $4 of your monthly cable bill goes to ESPN. By comparison most other channels are $.05-$.20 cents a piece.

It's not a stretch to think they will be charging something similar for this premium service.[/QUOTE]

This day was bound to come ONLY because they decide to junk up the updates with Facebook, Twitter and now ESPN. Why are those licenses necessary? We're now paying extra a year for those decisions. People can say it's inflation or whatever, but it's most definitely NOT. If they provided a simple service to play games, download demos/arcade titles, and play Netflix streams (which is the only sensible add-on to the dash) then it wouldn't cost consumers as much and it wouldn't need the price hike. They make a shitload off of Gold users as it is.

This just goes hand in hand with their ridiculous 1st party peripheral prices as well. We allow them to do this, and of course you're not going to say no if you really want to play on their service. I was a die hard Xbox 360 fan, but I also have a PS3 and I see what their service is capable of doing for free, which isn't much less than the 360 does.

I really dont see what the big deal is about $10 more a year. Just dont eat at McDonalds twice and have some ramen instead. Quit whining and start being men dammit!

[quote name='raymancouldbe']I really dont see what the big deal is about $10 more a year. Just dont eat at McDonalds twice and have some ramen instead. Quit whining and start being men dammit![/QUOTE]
So getting ripped-off is manly? Who knew? :roll:

Im interested in ESPN3 and curious as to what they will show. I hope they continue to make improvements, but doing things like canceling 1v100 was very dumb (i know there is one season left). They need to do alittle bit more then to justify some of this price increase. Like decrease stuff on the marketplace that has no reason for being that high in price. More DOTW and maybe do something monthly. This 10$ increase better be worth it otherwise I wont be renewing my sub, and Ive been using XBL since it came out. ESPN3 better show some good college football or something. I feel sorry for the people who pay for Netflix and Hulu Plus, i hope you dont have a TV bill as well.

[quote name='raymancouldbe']I really dont see what the big deal is about $10 more a year. Just dont eat at McDonalds twice and have some ramen instead. Quit whining and start being men dammit![/QUOTE]

You're an idiot aren't you?

[quote name='Ogami Itto']You're an idiot aren't you?[/QUOTE]

I know right. I could easily get 3 meals out of McDs with 10$.

[quote name='aporter727']This day was bound to come ONLY because they decide to junk up the updates with Facebook, Twitter and now ESPN. Why are those licenses necessary? We're now paying extra a year for those decisions. People can say it's inflation or whatever, but it's most definitely NOT. [/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Corvin on that one. It's been at that price for 8 years already. With or without added features, inflation is a factor. Yes those added features/licenses are more likely responsible for the bulk of the increase, but that doesn't remove inflation from the equation completely. And this is MS, you don't think they do tons of market research to determine what their audience is interested in? The Facebook/twitter/ESPN/etc. updates you consider junk clearly aren't junk to a good amount of people using their service. I for one am absolutely overjoyed that they're adding ESPN, it means I don't have to use PlayOn Premium anymore to access it. Same goes for Hulu Plus. Now if only they'd support MLB.tv like the PS3 does, I'd be in heaven.

[quote name='Abeja']Im interested in ESPN3 and curious as to what they will show.[/QUOTE]

You can just go see for yourself. Most internet providers have allowed access to ESPN3 for many years now.
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

I watched a ton of world cup coverage on it, as well as Wimbledon. Right now it seems the US Open is the big one.

Digging a bit further, it seems that NCAA football, NCAA basketball, NASCAR, NBA, The Masters, UEFA Champions League and a few select matches from certain other sports are also part of their coverage.

The extra features (Netflix, Facebook, etc.) through XBL are inferior to their web browser counterparts. I just want to game and I wish there were more dedicated servers unlike Halo, CoD, Rainbow Six and many others. M$ is already making lots of profit with overpriced avatar items, themes and low-res gamer pics, and dictating the cost of DLC (which many companies want to offer for free or reduced prices).

If only used PS3 games were as cheap as they are for 360....

Given what MS is doing I'd love to snag some 30-35 dollar deals if anyone know of any. So I guess keep me informed so I can snag a couple to keep me satisfied through 2012. I'm not really good at catching deals so if someone catches them so I don't miss it let me know?

[quote name='jennyfur']I'm sorry but I have to agree with Corvin on that one. It's been at that price for 8 years already. With or without added features, inflation is a factor.[/QUOTE]
Inflation makes no sense when you're talking about technology. In reality, prices come down as the technology advances. Think about your TV, your laptop... even your internet service - what did $40/mo buy you 8 years ago vs. today? Eight years ago it cost MS substantially more money to operate Live than it does today.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']You're an idiot aren't you?[/QUOTE]

OK my bad. I didnt realize paying 5 dollars for a hamburger and some fries is a real value compared to the hours upon hours of enjoyment and satisfaction of online gaming i can have per month. And when i meant be a real man was cook some damn food for yourself, and if you cant cook, have some ramen. I can make an assload of hamburgers and fries for 5 dollars btw...its really not a rip off imo...break it down in increments then see where the value is...you can be a cheap ass gamer by doing things a typical gamer wouldnt do, like cook.

Can you tell me of another service which any of you use that if you payed up for a year only cost you 5 dollars a month to have unlimited access to its services?

[quote name='raymancouldbe']
Can you tell me of another service which any of you use that if you payed up for a year only cost you 5 dollars a month to have unlimited access to its services?[/QUOTE]

PSN? Except that you'd also have $60 in your wallet.

For the people that are complaining about the increase, if you don't like it than just move alone. MS is in the business of making money. They could charge w/e people are willing to pay.

Sony uses servers which are not top of the line...but it is free
However, the 360 uses P2P which means that everybody except the host and those holding cable [and that means only the 360 using the internet bandwidth] or T3 or government internet gets shafted hard.

i am really not paying for live anymore unless live goes down to 25...hell i may have sold my 360 by then
i really do not see the point anymore...sadly

I got 3 free years with the Netflix glitch/eff up. I hope the 360 system life is over by the end, cuz when it expires I'm definitely not starting it up again, unless it's dirt cheap.

Maybe you guys could stop talking about PSN. This is an Xbox Live deal thread. It's not a place for silly debates. The Xbox Live price increase sucks, but that's why we buy cards on the cheap.

[quote name='eastx']Maybe you guys could stop talking about PSN. This is an Xbox Live deal thread. It's not a place for silly debates. The Xbox Live price increase sucks, but that's why we buy cards on the cheap.[/QUOTE]Agreed in all counts.

[quote name='Corvin']Live has been $50 for 8 years people. 8 years ago you didn't get shit for $50. A $10 increase is nothing. Would I rather not have an increase? Of course, but this day was bound to come eventually.[/QUOTE]
Eight years ago we didn't have a dashboard over-run with ads.

[quote name='Corvin']I have no doubt that it's ESPN.[/QUOTE]
ESPN3 is a free web service on PC. Facebook is free on PC, Twitter is free on PC, Last.fm is free on PC, Netflix you're already paying a separate subscription cost for. None of these justify an increase in cost, nothing has been added to the service that could possibly justify this cost. The service has been established for some time, there is no start-up cost, there's maintenance but that's minimal compared to what it probably cost to put up Xbox Live originally.

[quote name='Corvin']Live has been $50 for 8 years people. 8 years ago you didn't get shit for $50. A $10 increase is nothing. Would I rather not have an increase? Of course, but this day was bound to come eventually.

[/QUOTE]

8 years ago MS was the only one with online service for console. Now both of MS's competitor has it, for free. 8 years ago Xbox has a HDD less than 10GB. Now it comes with 250GB. There are more ads than 8 years ago as well. They are more than capable of improving the service at a lower cost.

bread's done
Back