Official Modern Warfare 2 Thread

SEH

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
2ns02te.jpg

Release Date - 11/10/09

Here is a list of Gamestop stores doing a midnight release.
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/content/MW2MidnightOpenings.pdf

IGN's MW2 Coverage
http://pc.ign.com/objects/142/14280895.html

Gametrailers MW2 Coverage
http://www.gametrailers.com/launch/mw2/

---------------------------

Yes, we know the PC version has had features of the game removed. There have been plenty of threads discussing this. I'd like to keep this about people who are actually going to buy the game, not whether you think we're dumb for buying it or if we should pirate it. Thank you.

---------------------------

So yeah, game releases tonight at midnight. Anyone picking this up for PC? Myself and two friends are grabbing it tonight, but I'm always looking for others to play with. I'd also like to try and maybe get some kind of competitive CEVO clan (if they're doing a league for this) together.

Oh come on. We've got 2 options here: buy a gimped edition of what's still going to be the best FPS out this year or watch as devs abandon the platform entirely. The logic will be: "If MW2 can't do well on PC, nothing will. We'll devote our resources elsewhere." It's really a sophie's choice, to be honest. But things can improve with patches.

I'm buying it. It *should* be on its way from amazon now.

fuck what you heard, this game is awesome. Pubs being 6v6 on S&D = constant scrims. I'm absolutely loving the game so far.

[quote name='SEH']fuck what you heard, this game is awesome. Pubs being 6v6 on S&D = constant scrims. I'm absolutely loving the game so far.[/QUOTE]

But... but... this game was supposed to confirm the death of PC gaming... WHAT HAPPENED?

[quote name='SEH']fuck what you heard, this game is awesome. Pubs being 6v6 on S&D = constant scrims. I'm absolutely loving the game so far.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='kilm']But... but... this game was supposed to confirm the death of PC gaming... WHAT HAPPENED?[/QUOTE]
I really don't think there was any question of how good the game would be; it's a matter of respect for what gamers want. The lack of freedom most PC gamers are accustomed to is what has people up in arms. It's a big fuck you to the modding community and those who enjoy variety in their favorite game. I personally could care less, because COD has always been lackluster in my eyes. Then again, BF2 really spoiled me so that has a lot to do with it.

The fact of the matter is IW has split their community, which is never good for business. This year has been really sad for PC gamers with all the fucking about by Valve and IW.

You're really just doing yourself a disservice by not playing the game. The single player rocks, the spec-ops rocks, and the multiplayer is a total blast. It's actually kind of nice not having dedicated servers with crappy tactical mods running lame HC.

I still have respect for Valve, at least they still support modding. Modding is a favorite hobby of mine, and I started out modding the original Call of Duty. Cutting off the Call of Duty modding community is just about the biggest slight IW could have done in my opinion, and because of that I'd be glad if they went out of business after this. Of course that won't happen just due to low PC sales. *sigh*

Question: What happens when you are at a LAN event, did they kill this too? Seems like the P2P matching could stop you from playing against a person sitting right next to you. Was trying to find a definite answer before I open my copy and can't. Thoughts or anyone that installed it care to shed light?

If you want to make a LAN game, just set up a private match. Works just fine. As for that video, that has happened to me, but it happens very RARELY unless you have a complete garbage internet connection (IE dialup). Myself and four friends have been playing, and 99% of the time, it's totally lag free.

When you youtube search "MW2 lag" you're bound to find videos like the one above.

youtube search "MW2 smooth" and I'm sure you're bound to find totally different results. Imagine that.

Looks like MW2 is to 2009 as Spore was to 2008. The PC version currently has a one and a half star rating on Amazon; 1.6/10 reader rating on IGN. I absolutely love the PC community and their resoluteness in fighting for want we want.

We refuse to take this shit lying down.

[quote name='Jodou']Looks like MW2 is to 2009 as Spore was to 2008. The PC version currently has a one and a half star rating on Amazon; 1.6/10 reader rating on IGN. I absolutely love the PC community and their resoluteness in fighting for want we want.

We refuse to take this shit lying down.[/QUOTE]

But will Activision pay attention as well as EA did?

[quote name='Jodou']Looks like MW2 is to 2009 as Spore was to 2008. The PC version currently has a one and a half star rating on Amazon; 1.6/10 reader rating on IGN. I absolutely love the PC community and their resoluteness in fighting for want we want.

We refuse to take this shit lying down.[/QUOTE]

VGChartz is predicting ~1.2 million sales on the PC for the first week. I'm not exactly sure the PC Community is sending a loud message that they won't stand for this.

[quote name='Ryukahn']VGChartz is predicting ~1.2 million sales on the PC for the first week. I'm not exactly sure the PC Community is sending a loud message that they won't stand for this.[/QUOTE]
That's worldwide and it's not 1.2, it's 12% of 7 million copies. That's 840,000 globally on day one compared to the massive 5.5 million on 360. Again, these are predictions and nowhere near accurate, but it still trumps any game for day one release numbers. 360 sales alone can hold that title, let alone combined sales.

The worst part of all this? It's one of the most overhyped (and controversial) games this generation that now even eclipses Halo 3. It's truly sad that games worthy of such praise never come close to these sales figures in their entire shelf-life, but anything with violence and guns sells millions.

It's rather telling when 'smart' games sell poorly and generic shooters can boom on Mountain Dew ads.

[quote name='Jodou']That's worldwide and it's not 1.2, it's 12% of 7 million copies. That's 840,000 globally on day one compared to the massive 5.5 million on 360. Again, these are predictions and nowhere near accurate, but it still trumps any game for day one release numbers. 360 sales alone can hold that title, let alone combined sales.

The worst part of all this? It's one of the most overhyped (and controversial) games this generation that now even eclipses Halo 3. It's truly sad that games worthy of such praise never come close to these sales figures in their entire shelf-life, but anything with violence and guns sells millions.

It's rather telling when 'smart' games sell poorly and generic shooters can boom on Mountain Dew ads.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's projected 1.2 million from a projected total worldwide sales of 10 million, assuming the PC % share of 12% is the same. You're talking about day 1 sales, he's talking about predicted sales for the FIRST WEEK.

You really need to stop being so butt hurt over a game you're not even going to play. We get it, you're riding hard on BFBC2's nuts.

No, for the first week they are projecting 10 million total, with 5.5 mil for Xbox, 3.3 mil for PS3, and 1.2 mil for PC.

Edit: doh, beaten

The game is fun, that's all I care about. If you haven't played it, please shut up. Like I said in the first post, we don't need you to tell us that the game is terrible and that people are idiots for buying it. It's great that you feel that way, but we dont care. I'm not even sure why you'd be in a thread about a game you hate/will never play.

[quote name='torifile']Oh come on. We've got 2 options here: buy a gimped edition of what's still going to be the best FPS out this year or watch as devs abandon the platform entirely. The logic will be: "If MW2 can't do well on PC, nothing will. We'll devote our resources elsewhere." It's really a sophie's choice, to be honest. But things can improve with patches.

I'm buying it. It *should* be on its way from amazon now.[/QUOTE]

I pick the third option that you didn't list. I will protest this game and not get it due to what they did to the PC version. That will show that PC gamers will speak out with their wallets and not buy something that is just a ported over console version. I want my mods even if I may not use them. I want them as an option. I don't want to have to pay for maps I want to be able to pick a server to play on from a list. I will stick with the first MW.

[quote name='Jodou']I really don't think there was any question of how good the game would be; it's a matter of respect for what gamers want. The lack of freedom most PC gamers are accustomed to is what has people up in arms. It's a big fuck you to the modding community and those who enjoy variety in their favorite game. I personally could care less, because COD has always been lackluster in my eyes. Then again, BF2 really spoiled me so that has a lot to do with it.

The fact of the matter is IW has split their community, which is never good for business. This year has been really sad for PC gamers with all the fucking about by Valve and IW.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is all that needs to really be said. Anyone that has palyed FPSs on the PC or any other PC game knows that most the time you get mods and other things to make the game last longer.

[quote name='Jodou']I thought I read LAN games would be difficult to coordinate, if not impossible. Not sure TBH.

BTW, here's a great example of what to expect if you buy this overrated console port:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsWZp5pWCo[/QUOTE]

I hade better game play during the first games beta. Now I know unless the PC version is fixed and made just like the last ones was with online I mightt get this when it is around 20 bucks with all the map packs they will make us buy now or if I buy the MW2 360 when my current 360 dies and them are both really big ifs. Hell if they have a 360 with the 250 gig HDD that is not the MW2 edition I will get it instead unless the MW2 edition is the same price or cheaper.

[quote name='SEH']The game is fun, that's all I care about. If you haven't played it, please shut up. Like I said in the first post, we don't need you to tell us that the game is terrible and that people are idiots for buying it. It's great that you feel that way, but we dont care. I'm not even sure why you'd be in a thread about a game you hate/will never play.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think it is being said that game is terrible. Well it is being said but due to the fact that most PC gamers are used to better. Me I was expected online to be just like the last one and now finding out that it will be just like it is on the 360 only with a mouse and keybord I really don't want the game.

I'm sure the game is great. It pains me to not play it because the Call of Duty series is my favorite video game series period. Modern Warfare 2 was the game I was most looking forward to this year, and I had started the designs on several maps I wanted to make with the modding tools. That's no more, and I can't support the direction they went with the PC version. Part of that is making sure other people understand the reasoning why so many PC gamers are opposed to the game. If that ruins your fun, so be it.

Got it, played it, glad I didn't spend my money on it.

Hadn't played a recent PC game in a year or two, so I guess its my own fault for expecting things from a "new" game. The expectations weren't high to begin with but I figured at least the single player would be good. DOH HO HO HOHO. : (

Eh, why buy a port version where I could get it for the superior platform choice: consoles

Ugh, I felt like a dirty cheap whore typing that, and I can't even do a /sarcasm tag because that would be lying in IW's eyes.

BTW, has anyone in here seen those MW2 hacker/wall-peek videos?

even with the hacks I would still have my ass handed to me. I take it that is on a non punkbuster server or oh yeah no dedicated servers so I guess punkbuster is no longer being used to stop stuff like that.

lol

did you get use to two fingers yet...because here comes the whole fist

Activision says you should "expect" paid-for online models such as those in World of Warcraft to make the transition to other games, including Call of Duty.

Speaking during yesterday's BMO Capital Markets Conference (which sounds fun), Activision Blizzard CFO, Thomas Tippl said that while WoW's model is difficult to replicate, players should expect new monetization models for its other games soon.

"It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetize the online gameplay," said Tippl. "There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys."

"We have great experience also on Call of Duty with the success we had on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. A lot of that knowledge is getting actually built into the Battle.Net platform and the design of that," he added.

"I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetization models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty."

According to the Activision CFO, there is a demand from its core fanbase to pay for additional services.

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," he said.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=227204

While I'll get a lot of flack for this, that could be a good thing. With money like that flowing in, they could have dedicated servers that support way larger amounts of people on way larger maps, constant new content and tons of other cool things. Though they could just as easily charge you 5 dollars a month for virtually nothing in return for nothing and say it's for development costs or some bullshit.

I'll stay cautiously optimistic.

I stuck with IW even through this whole fiasco with MW2. However, if the next COD IW makes winds up being Pay-2-Play, then I'm done. There is a reason I don't play MMO's. I think that charging $50-$60 for a game, only to charge another $15 a month to play it, is absolutely ridiculous.

Doesn't necessarily mean subscription services, though it is what WoW is known for as an MMORPG. WoW also has some microtransaction services, so that's not entirely excluded. Could be both.

So.... death of gaming apocalypse? Riot? Panic? Moar boycotts?

See I see the subscription thing as the next step in what they started. They're slowly taking control away from the end-users. Pretty soon it's a closed system without mods, with monthly fees, and expansions released every couple months or so.

[quote name='Filbert']See I see the subscription thing as the next step in what they started. They're slowly taking control away from the end-users. Pretty soon it's a closed system without mods, with monthly fees, and expansions released every couple months or so.[/QUOTE]

The thing is mods can be extremely profitable. Would Valve and Steam be what they are today without mods like Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike? I think there's a happy medium between controlled subscription hellhole and free-for-all, at least when it comes to online gaming.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']While I'll get a lot of flack for this, that could be a good thing. With money like that flowing in, they could have dedicated servers that support way larger amounts of people on way larger maps[/QUOTE]

No. Do you have any idea how much money they'll make off COD6? Tons. Even with that income they've not given more but stripped more out. Likewise with popular console games, they certainly dont start throwing things at the player when "Best Game Ever II" comes out.

This smells like microtransactions to me. They'll link it up to the perk system so you can buy your superiority. Throw in some custom skins and there you go. Hopefully they'll murder the series. Not for nothing but it needs to be shot in the head and Infinity Ward should move on to something else. They cant make COD games forever.....or can they?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='qwerty1']No. Do you have any idea how much money they'll make off COD5? Tons. Even with that income they've not given more but stripped more out. Likewise with popular console games, they certainly dont start throwing things at the player when "Best Game Ever II" comes out.[/QUOTE]

COD5? Well, everyone is calling World at War COD5, and MW2 is COD6. Since you're posting in the MW2 thread, I'm guessing you mean MW2? Or do you still mean COD5: WaW?

[quote name='qwerty1']Not for nothing but it needs to be shot in the head and Infinity Ward should move on to something else. They cant make COD games forever.....or can they?[/QUOTE]

That's all they have ever made.

Just got it, only played a few missions and am enjoying it so far. Haven't tried multi yet and I've heard the horror stories.

bread's done
Back