Official PixelJunk Thread - 4/20: PixelJunk 4AM out May 15, Beta for PS+ Begins May 1

[quote name='rodeojones903']I am stuck on the first medium mission. This game is much harder than I expected, but I am loving it so far.[/quote]

You know you can spend gems as quick upgrades for your tower right?

I finally tried out the demo and it was a lot of fun. The music and art style are fantastic. I'll probably get it while it's a couple bucks off but end up playing it later on.

Is there really no online co-op? Hopefully they can patch it in later.

[quote name='NamPaehc']You know you can spend gems as quick upgrades for your tower right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it seems if I do that and not save for the ice tower I lose even faster.

Beat you last night on the first easy mission Frisky.

And I made a couple towers I didn't even need, d'oh!

I LOVE THIS GAME!
And yeah Rodeo, it does get very hard! :(

[quote name='rodeojones903']Those little bugs with the green shields are bastards.[/QUOTE]

A Fully leveled Tesla tower eats those up pretty quick.

Fire towers are a MUST for the shielded monsters on the easy/medium levels... put one right at the spawning point and they won't even make it past the entrance, giving you even more time to upgrade/whatever you need to do before the next wave. Another thing, don't be afraid to break down towers for extra coins... the trees come back.

[quote name='munoi']Yea as I mentioned earlier the game is awesome. For some reason some people (Not CAG) are trying to shove this off as a TOD ripoff thats trying to cash in one a free game/mod.

The thing is though; the fact that you're in direct control of the character opens tons of new ideas, like dancing in front of your tower to upgrade it or using jewels as a quick shortcut, a meaningful co-op mode, a reason to actually explore the entire map; since you can find hidden treasure, Unlockables for your character (You can actually run) the list goes on.

Anyway have fun with the game; look forward to seeing you guys high scores online.[/quote]

Can someone explain this to me, I played briefly last night and I must of missed something in the tutorial. Is there an alternative way to upgrade towers without jewels?

[quote name='denze']Can someone explain this to me, I played briefly last night and I must of missed something in the tutorial. Is there an alternative way to upgrade towers without jewels?[/quote]When you have a tower highlighted, you just "dance" to get the exp up slowly.

I just stand on the tower and spin my left stick in circles quickly.
Of course it takes a lot of dancing for the higher levels.

[quote name='dallow']When you have a tower highlighted, you just "dance" to get the exp up slowly.[/quote]

Oh wow, I had no idea. I figured they just leveled up from killing lots of monsters. I'm looking forward to doing some dancing now.

[quote name='metaly']Oh wow, I had no idea. I figured they just leveled up from killing lots of monsters. I'm looking forward to doing some dancing now.[/quote]Help out those towers by dancing while they're attacking! Exp goes up quickly!

Remember you can also do instant upgrades with gems.

Here's a nice little interview with the head guy at Q Games/PixelJunk.

Hi Dylan. So, Monsters is finally released tonight, did the reception to Racers influence the way you finished off Monsters?

Hi. Yes, the reception to Racers influenced us quite a bit - there were a few things we just didn't have time to fit into Racers, given that it was the first in the series. The middle part of the game is really well refined, but the beginning and the end are a bit rough, so first time players (or people who downloaded demo) quite often just didn't 'get it'. This was a shame, because as you yourself know once you get past that initial 'what is THIS?' phase the game is really great fun.

So what have you done to make it more accessible to gamers who were perhaps alienated by Racers?

We added a small tutorial and lots of screen indicators to try and give you a hint at what you should do and I think this will really help people 'get' Monsters as soon as they pick up and play it. We also added a more detailed in-game manual which explains the game more.

So the game is more user-friendly?

Yeah, overall, the game feels more friendly as a result.

Monsters is obviously based on the Tower Defense mechanics, are you a big fan?

Yes, the Tower Defense genre is superb but I always felt the game could be more immersive and a little less 'mechanical', which is why I fleshed it out for Monsters in the way I did.

Do you still play the Flash versions?

After playing Monsters extensively I find it difficult to go back to the Flash versions, but they are a hotbed of ideas because of the quick iteration/turn-around of the developers. Something like Monsters takes 6-8 months and a small team of developers to make.

So how long before the third PixelJunk title, anything you can tell us?

Nothing yet, but I really hope to show a clip at GDC. No promises though. It's crazy and fun in yet another direction.

Elsewhere on the PS3, you worked on the recent Planets visualiser and parts of the XMB - was there anything you were forced to leave out?

Well, nothing too wacky but the original icon rendering we made for the XMB were rendered with refraction and a spectral dispersion type effect which made them look like they were made out of solid glass. It was a bit over the top though so we toned down the settings - however, if you look really closely in the current XMB, you can still see the toned down effect as the icons pass over things (especially if you change your background to something detailed).

And what about the Duck in a Bath tech demo that you did for the PS2 that also appeared on the latest console?

Yes, I had interest in the PS3 duck-in-a-bath - it kind of annoyed me (only a weeny bit tho) that they could take a concept I had created personally and without consulting or even e-mailing me about it make a not particularly good technical demo. In some ways it was even a step back from my PS2 demo which was actually real-time spline curved surface rendering :) But then they came out with a game based on it! :)

And what's for the future for Q-Games aside from PixelJunk?

In the past we've developed a lot of tech stuff behind the scenes for Sony that hasn't seen the light of day, including some really cool stuff a few years back for the PSP. But I'd have to shoot you if I told you more about that. We developed some developer tools too - for example, the original VFPU (vector processor) extensions for the main PSP GCC compiler.
But what we are focusing more on now is interesting graphical experiments or features that can be integrated into the OS.

Do you play any other PSN games, which do you like?

I really like the original and personal stuff like Everyday Shooter, we should all strive to make our games personal in that way. Most games nowadays are way too sterilised.

Well, we're still waiting for that in Europe, so in the meantime why should people buy Monsters?

Because (of course) it is probably the most addicting and fun game you'll play this year!
PR speak aside though, I've made a lot of games over the past 20 years or so and this one has that certain "something", a little bit of magic to it. We are an independent development company and we've funded this entirely ourselves, so no game-sharing please! Every little penny counts and keeps us going!

Thanks for your time, Dylan, and good luck with the game!

[quote name='dallow']Beat you last night on the first easy mission Frisky.

And I made a couple towers I didn't even need, d'oh!

I LOVE THIS GAME!
And yeah Rodeo, it does get very hard! :([/quote]
I got a perfect one that because I played the demo enough, so I haven't played it more than the first time. I did beat the rest of the easy levels, though that money was hard, as I barely beat the golden statue right at the front door of my hut.

That first special level (with the spiders coming at you from all sides) is hard, as I get to the 13-16th waves and they overwhelm my defenses. I tried the fire towers, which worked well to a point, but I'm thinking of going for the hive next time I play that one.

[quote name='dallow']When you have a tower highlighted, you just "dance" to get the exp up slowly.

I just stand on the tower and spin my left stick in circles quickly.
Of course it takes a lot of dancing for the higher levels.[/quote]

Nice, thanks

Wow, I just played through the first three levels of this in co-op and it's excellent, not to mention deceptively hard. I'm ashamed to admit that we got dominated on the second level the first time we tried it. Luckily the second time went better.

The dancing tip helped out a huge deal. I noticed the character starts dancing on his own if you just leave him in front of a tower, though. Does moving him around speed up the upgrade any?

At the moment, the only change I'd make would be to pool the two players' money, so when it got frantic you could have one player building towers way ahead of the swarm while the other's picking up the coins.

I'm now rank 62 on Easy 1.
Seems to be about having the most money. Gonna try again.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That first special level (with the spiders coming at you from all sides) is hard, as I get to the 13-16th waves and they overwhelm my defenses. I tried the fire towers, which worked well to a point, but I'm thinking of going for the hive next time I play that one.[/quote]Really? I just played that one and thought it's been the easiest one so far.

I just built nothing but arrow towers the whole time, didn't lose 1 guy.

[quote name='metaly']The dancing tip helped out a huge deal. I noticed the character starts dancing on his own if you just leave him in front of a tower, though. Does moving him around speed up the upgrade any?[/QUOTE]You're right, he does just dance on his own, I thought you had to spin/move him.
Doesn't seem to speed it up, so I just rest him on the tower I need upgrading.

[quote name='simplygriff']Downloaded the demo last night and it's a pretty fun game. How many levels are there in the full version?
-G[/quote]I think 20 or so.

It's a hard game.

Grab the demo first if you're not sure. I forget if there's a US demo, but there's one in either the HK or Japanese stores that's completely in English.

Or just search for Desktop Tower Defense. It's the same gameplay premise.

[quote name='dallow']Really? I just played that one and thought it's been the easiest one so far.

I just built nothing but arrow towers the whole time, didn't lose 1 guy.[/quote]
The solution's that simple? Really? Wow. I'll have to try that out next time I play the game.

Beat the first special level, then beat the first two medium missions. Not looking forward to the third medium level, which 1up said was the most difficult of the levels they had gotten on the 1up Show.

Everyone hates the bridge level, but I didn't think it was so bad.

I played it once and just barely lost, now I know what I did wrong.

It's gonna be a bitch trying to get rainbows on some of these though. Ugh.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Is this worth $7.99 on a blind buy?[/QUOTE]

Same question. Or should I just play a online version for free?

[quote name='NamPaehc']Any ideas yet on just what 1-3 is going to be?[/quote]

Endless Urine.

Just kidding. I'll guess it's some kind of arcology management sim. Really just a stab in the dark.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Any ideas yet on just what 1-3 is going to be?

[/quote]

Music/Puzzle game?

Edit: Managed to get rainbows on Easy 2 and Medium 2, so that makes 4 rainbows so far. Medium 3's tough, though the 1up Show gave me some good ideas when they covered the game.

wow i just downloaded this and it was being played for 5 hours straight. Is there a way i can download this onto my psp so i can play this at places where i have no internet access?

[quote name='asthmatic']wow i just downloaded this and it was being played for 5 hours straight. Is there a way i can download this onto my psp so i can play this at places where i have no internet access?[/quote]
No, just through remote play.

Finished off the Special 1 level for my fifth rainbow. Opened up a path that I can't even reach. :whistle2:(

darn, the game looks simple but yet it's not that simple... perhaps i'm too greedy, definitely not managing the funds properly. I can't get pass the 2nd stage (the power play one). Shame shame i know... but hey, it's all about having fun right?

Well, I decided to buy this, blind buy. It's taking FOREVER to download 60mb.

Edit: Why did I wait this long to buy this? This is fantastic.

I'm really happy to see all the postive reaction from this game, especially at NeoGaf where it has a thread that has survived for far longer than downloadable games are supposed to have.

[quote name='dallow']I'm really happy to see all the postive reaction from this game, especially at NeoGaf where it has a thread that has survived for far longer than downloadable games are supposed to have.[/quote]

Clearly you never saw the Super Stardust HD thread. :)

Any idea how much longer its going to be 7.99? All this discussion is seriously making me consider getting it.

Oh hell, I'll probably just get it tomorrow night. Although it would have been nice if it was playable on the PSP besides remote play and with online coop since then I'd actually be able to play coop.

[quote name='josh_animebum']Any idea how much longer its going to be 7.99? All this discussion is seriously making me consider getting it.
[/QUOTE]

I will Assume it will be that price until the next PSN update, which means until thursday.

I have 7 rainbows in my 2p game, but only 5 on my single player game.

Gotta be a small voice of dissent here, I made a Japanese account just to get the demo (After being horribly obsessed with Desktop Tower Defense) and I have to admit.. I just don't quite "get" this game. DTD clicked with me immediately and I thought Monsters would be an immediate hit... but the demo just feels like.. I dunno, like you've been too limited (having to run around, the time it takes to upgrade towers). It's hard to describe.

Glad I got the demo first... but I hate saying that as I desperately wanted to like PJM the way I like DTD...

Anyone have any tips for a DTD junkie (Not particularly GOOD at it but I like the game) adjusting to PJM?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Clearly you never saw the Super Stardust HD thread. :)[/quote]Oops, save for that thread of "burning awesome". :)

[quote name='Justin42']Gotta be a small voice of dissent here, I made a Japanese account just to get the demo (After being horribly obsessed with Desktop Tower Defense) and I have to admit.. I just don't quite "get" this game. DTD clicked with me immediately and I thought Monsters would be an immediate hit... but the demo just feels like.. I dunno, like you've been too limited (having to run around, the time it takes to upgrade towers). It's hard to describe.

Glad I got the demo first... but I hate saying that as I desperately wanted to like PJM the way I like DTD...

Anyone have any tips for a DTD junkie (Not particularly GOOD at it but I like the game) adjusting to PJM?[/quote]

Well... DTD is built for a PC, and PJM for a console. I think you might just lean more towards the PC side where you can move fast and click things that will take effect almost instantly.

The "limited" feeling you are having was put in place by the devs for a reason- game system owners get intemidated by fast speeds and lack of percise controls (no mouse).

You can't zoom around with a cursor here and upgrade everything at once, which to me adds a lot more depth to the game. You have to plan on where to place towers more and which ones to go to to upgrade and so on.

Not going to help much, but wanted to at least say I know where you are coming from.

Is it worth it to just barrel through to the specials and get the items, and then try to go back and rainbow levels or should I just keep rainbowing in numerical order?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Is it worth it to just barrel through to the specials and get the items, and then try to go back and rainbow levels or should I just keep rainbowing in numerical order?[/quote]It'll make life easier to get the special items.

After seeing what the second unlockable is (
landmines - you plant then detonate to take out invading monsters
), it makes me wish I had a better grasp on these medium levels to get through them more quickly.

Keep in mind though, it takes jewels to plant landmines, I forget how much. But, it does hit with the strength of a fully upgraded cannon shot.

Oh, and by the way, I'm Vertrucio, tanked 10th on medium 3. I wonder if I've been knocked off the list yet.

bread's done
Back