Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Alot of people on my local craiglist are selling the sealed launch bundels for $400-450. Are flippers not able to return these or something? Looks like they are taking a hit on this. Lol!

Yup. If I return it to Amazon I pay shipping lol. Also Best Buy returns only 15 days. I'm keeping my Newegg order since that one is 15% restock fee plus you pay shipping if you don't have Premier.
Alot of people on my local craiglist are selling the sealed launch bundels for $400-450. Are flippers not able to return these or something? Looks like they are taking a hit on this. Lol!

I returned a sealed launch bundle for the core with no problems......of course. I am now contemplating if I should return the core before the return window expires. We as a family enjoy the experience but its not being used as much as I hoped. Really not sure....

Does anyone happen to know whether or not the PSVR has any magnets built into it?

I have a friend who has magnetic implants in her head and I'd like to let her try it out, but it would be too dangerous if the PSVR also has any type of magnet or magnetic materials in/on it.
That's something i would definitely contact Sony about just to get a sure answer

Anyone know if GameStop or BestBuy or any other retailer are buying or taking PSVR bundles, especially the Taco Bell bundle, for trade in or store credit?

gamestop takes the headset they pay 250 credit or 200 cash for the bundle who knows

headset 250.00

move controllers 10.00 each

camera 16.50

credit

I was able to try out a demo of the shark tank today. Is the resolution the same as the other games or better? I felt like it had a screen door effect. The graphics weren't as clear as I thought but still ok. How is the field of view when compared to oculus rift or vive?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

No idea why people wouldnt be able to return unless they:

A) Opened it.

B) Bought it online and the return is a hassle.

C) Past Return Date.

I had no trouble returning my headset only to best buy which i bought because i hadn't decided between that and the launch bundle.   I am also elite plus and have 45 day returns though.

Because Gamestop... That's why
In fairness, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a used VR headset, especially with the sweat that gets into the padding, the oils from the facial area and the potential to spread eye infections from person to person. Heck, I wouldn't even use one of the store display units. At least with a used controller, you can wipe it down, but a VR headset is very difficult to clean.

Just a heads up to people thinking about returning their GS.com order ( New/Unopened Launch Bundle) to a store.  They refused to take the return because the serial numbers on the bundles don't "register" in their system.  They weren't mean about it but I found it weird.

Told me to call the number on the packing slip and the lady that helped me found it weird too and sent me a return label.

I don't usually order online from them a lot let alone go into a store.  More reason not to, especially for high priced items like this.

That VRIDEO app is pretty cool.  Tried the roller coaster and the baby one...  daughter loved the baby.. son was freaked out.  The BABY IS BIGGER THEN ME!!  haha

Got my first headache from the PSVR...  from my son watching Lion King 360...  Oh my...  he was like a kid in a candy store... looking all over the place.  I could not watch the TV...  ;-)  

The cabling is fine for us. If you hang the headset up, it's no biggie... And it's FAR better than a 3 pound battery built into the headset.

Does anyone happen to know whether or not the PSVR has any magnets built into it?

I have a friend who has magnetic implants in her head and I'd like to let her try it out, but it would be too dangerous if the PSVR also has any type of magnet or magnetic materials in/on it.
Here's a video of them opening it up. Dunno if they say what the materials are made of though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ht884XSmMNY

Question for people who have played robot rescue, did anyone have any issues with the controller losing calibration (kept going lateral). I had to keep recallibrating it thorughout the game.
Yes. It got to where I was having to hold it upside down at an angle to shoot the grappling hook. Where is the recalibration at? I never found it.

Yup. I'd rather have the cables than have an uncomfortable headset.
So much this. People don't understand what is necessary for the device. You think they complain a lot about battery life on handhelds or the DS4? I'd hate to see how short a VR battery would be, nevermind the neck strain. Cables ensure a lag free experience (also necessary). I mean if you want to run around wirelessly you'd need a VR arcade to host anything like that. We are nowhere near that for home use.

Whoa...you didn't have a better method of cable management? I suppose it depends not room setup, but I have mine setup in a way that I can simply break down the headset and put it away after each use while keeping the Switch box stored within the entertainment center.
Same with me. Zero wires showing when not in use

Battery doesn't need to be in the headset.

It could be in a backpack with wireless AV device.

I think Holo Lens needs it. It'd be cool if they come up with Holo Lens games for the lasertag/paintball arenas.

I have only one wire that has to be out for my setup, the USB cable that plugs into the ps4. When I'm not using it, I simply unplug it. I need a longer cable, but the one I tried wasn't compatible, I'm guessing it needs to be a certain type? Any suggestions? I really wish the ps4 had usb ports in the back.

Didn't see this mentioned. The Call of Duty Jackal Assault VR experience will be free to everyone (including people who don't own Infinite Warfare).

Didn't see this mentioned. The Call of Duty Jackal Assault VR experience will be free to everyone (including people who don't own Infinite Warfare).
This is both extremely surprising and great. Impressions were positive with the caveat that it's not worth buying the game for. Turns out you don't have to.

So much this. People don't understand what is necessary for the device. You think they complain a lot about battery life on handhelds or the DS4? I'd hate to see how short a VR battery would be, nevermind the neck strain. Cables ensure a lag free experience (also necessary). I mean if you want to run around wirelessly you'd need a VR arcade to host anything like that. We are nowhere near that for home use.
I don't understand. Couldn't they just give the Vita a 1080p upgrade ... mount it in a headset... and then use remote play? I mean, maybe there is a little more than that to it, but technology has come a long way from heavy battery packs of old. I can similarly mirror my iphone (been able to do this since the 4S) to my AppleTV and play games that way. Still, a better example is the vita where you have data going both ways and yet the PS4 is in a different room.

They could have done it wireless and just left a port for charging. The vita has a really great battery life too. Separating the various components... they could put the battery pack on the rear of the unit or something to make for better weight distribution.

I'm not against wires, but the idea of wireless isn't science fiction. It's old tech that Vita has had a while (and even the PSP had remote play for some games).

I have only one wire that has to be out for my setup, the USB cable that plugs into the ps4. When I'm not using it, I simply unplug it. I need a longer cable, but the one I tried wasn't compatible, I'm guessing it needs to be a certain type? Any suggestions? I really wish the ps4 had usb ports in the back.
The thing with USB is when transmitting a lot of data you can't use a long cable. So extending this one may not be possible. It's the same as how all USB3 harddrives have super short cables. There is a point where some cables just are too long and won't work.

Anyone played the Call of Duty VR mission yet?
I did, its not bad (cant complain since they made it free). I havent played Eve Valkyrie besides from the demo but it was basically just a longer version of that. The one thing that I did like compared to Eve was you can lock onto enemy targets to fire missles just by tilting your head and staying focused on their ship for a few seconds.

I agree that the COD jackal experience is similar to eve Valkyrie campaign in some senses. If anything it will be easier to turn on quickly when trying to show off flight sim type games to people unfamiliar with vr as the demo is compete in only a couple of minutes.

On the Eve Valkyrie vs COD Jackal:
I find Eve to be much more immersive (I bought the full game). This is primarily due to the view ports you can look out of (front, rear, left, right, top and bottom) which always makes me feel connected to the action. COD primarily has front/left/right/top. There is something to be said in Eve about shooting a enemy in front of you while simultaneously being able to see a flagship passing beneath you. It also helps immensely that that there are large, stationary, space stations to fly around (like a Star Destroyer)
Eve also has a far greater sense of scale (in my opinion) with regards to the flagships and space stations you fly around while dogfighting. To me, Eve's flagships just feel much larger. Heck, even flying around the larger asteroids can feel epic.
Now I have got to admit that COD's ability to lock on with missiles is far easier than Eve's. This is great for single player, but might be more boring with multiplayer (if you got killed basically by someone just looking at your ship, the game would likely get boring). COD Jackal, at the end of the game, gives you a view of the earth, which speaking as a pure geek, made me feel like I was Superman floating above the earth.

If the upcoming Star Wars VR is like COD Jackal, I will find it disappointing. While Eve is not Star Wars (with regards to brand recognition), Eve gave me an experience that I hope Star Wars can match.
To any Eve developers who may read this, is there a way to do a missile lock on a ship while looking out the rear viewpoint? I still have trouble taking advantage of looking in the rear during a dogfight.

On the PSVR overall:
If you are a graphics junkie, this is not for you. It look industry some time to go from old tv CRT technology to the now commonplace HDTV, yet multiple people are disappointed in that the PSVR cannot give you true 1080 right out of the box. That will take some time as well if you want it cheaper (remember the good/fast/cheaper analogy? You generally can only have only 2 of the 3).
Where the PSVR excels at (in my opinion) is in the experience; the belief that you are somewhere else despite the fact of where you actually are.
Much like the days of discovering the SNES Zelda Link to the Past, or Mario 64, the PSVR represents a fun, new way of playing the game. That is why I am enjoying the PSVR. Spending a weekend with the demo disc/PS Worlds is something I have not done since the PS1/PS2 days.
To be fair, though, there are certain games where motion sickness becomes a factor. Thankfully, some games allow turning in quarters versus continuous.

My apologies for dragging on too long, but thought it worthwhile to address the 'how does Jackal compare to Eve?' inquiry posted above.

On a side note: I pre-ordered the Robinson: The Journey PSVR game, and I got it I the mail yesterday. Shocked the heck out of me; I did not recall seeing a firm release date posted for this game.

I don't understand. Couldn't they just give the Vita a 1080p upgrade ... mount it in a headset... and then use remote play?
The problem with this is the delay. It's pretty easy to adjust to the slight lag that remote play introduces, but imagine that same lag when you turn your head and the image takes a few hundred milliseconds to catch up.

The EVE Valkyrie demo is impressive.  It does a great job at making you feel immersed in the environment.  Unfortunately I don't really play multiplayer games so I may be better off with Jackal.  Does Jackal have a free demo I can try?

Robinsons is only 3-4 hours long.. thats way too short for a $60 title.

Eve has a small set of training missions, but its mainly a online multiplayer experience. That said, they have ALSO stated that they have a lot more they want to release for it, and its all going to be free. (Its still an early access game on the PC.)

We gave them the benefit of the doubt, since its very well done, and we want to support developers who don't want to nickle and dime us to death with paid dlc

Eve has a small set of training missions, but its mainly a online multiplayer experience. That said, they have ALSO stated that they have a lot more they want to release for it, and its all going to be free. (Its still an early access game on the PC.)

We gave them the benefit of the doubt, since its very well done, and we want to support developers who don't want to nickle and dime us to death with paid dlc
Gamestop, Target, Amazon and Best Buy have it priced for $39.99. I preordered it from Target because it was part of the B2G1 sale.

Don't know where you bought but it's like 40 bucks most places before gcu and prime.

- One of the appealing things about Eve is that it's single player not only has AI dogfights, but also modes where you can just fly around, and/or collect things. I found it nice to be able to fly around and learn about the level and how the various ships handle at my leisure.
When you score a kill in Eve, it feels like you've earned it In a way, but it can be difficult to achieve a solid lock om a fighter. At times it feels like in multiplayer that al you do is circle around an opponent until one of you screws up, but the VR immersiveness can make up for it.

- I've started playing Robinson, and it starts off as a exploration type of game. I've haven't played enough yet to give further impression. I'm not sure where the $60 quote is coming from, but it was $32 after BB GCU.

- Rez is one game that can be played without VR. The new level, Area X, seems to be built with VR in mind. If you have already played Rez on regular tv, I can't say Area X alone is worth the price of admission. I believe Bounds is another game that can be played without VR. IF you have PSN, the VR section has an area labeled something like 'games with VR enhancements'.

bread's done
Back