Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. So I have to determine with the extra 60 for the Skyrim edition (if it is Version 2) is worth the deal.

Does PS4 regular have decent HDR or is that really only a Pro thing? I already have a HDR console, so I don't want the Pro. Does the Pro help much with the VR?
I have a Pro and feel like numerous games have substantial upticks in quality when Pro patches are released. It's a catch 22 because the game needs to be built for both and therefore there's not a ton of effort put into Pro patches that are adding even more effort to support an even smaller audience. That said, I'd if it of you were trading up it's worth the extra 100-150 bucks if you are gonna spend a good bit of time with PSVR.

So it looks like I can get around 200 bucks for my headset and camera on ebay. Are there any confirmed deals on the 300

Thanks, I'll check out a couple of youtube videos but will likely pass as the next two months are VR heavy. Eurogamer is streaming Skyrim right now and the guy seems extremely impressed. Only the distant lod looks especially poor considering the PSVR performance hit. The streamer said he'd play it in VR first if given the chance.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-16-watch-ian-plays-the-first-four-hours-of-skyrim-vr

So are there any confirmed deals on version 2 of PSVR for Black Friday? Looks like I can get about 200 bucks for my headset and camera and while I wouldn't necessarily recommend for average CAGer I'd be willing to pay a hundred bucks to upgrade since my HDMI switch has a few terrible side effects when using it.
Driveclub VR is on the PSVR demo disc:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA04579_00-PSVRDEMODISC0001

Thanks, I played the demo a while back but it didn't give me a sense of how much content was there. Also, even though Pro support was built into basic version I heard the demo didn't have that support.
Well, I suggested that as a means of telling if the game is going to give you nausea issues.

So are there any confirmed deals on version 2 of PSVR for Black Friday? Looks like I can get about 200 bucks for my headset and camera and while I wouldn't necessarily recommend for average CAGer I'd be willing to pay a hundred bucks to upgrade since my HDMI switch has a few terrible side effects when using it.
I think the used old headset price will drop soon, if not already, when more people are aware of the revised version (regardless they need that or not). BF $200 deal will tank the price more. Better sell it sooner if plan to.

​Only Skyrim bundle is confirmed to have new headset. I have already returned the old headset bought from Target a month ago, I'm considering to get the Skyrim bundle and sell the Move Controllers as I already have those from PS3

I think the used old headset price will drop soon, if not already, when more people are aware of the revised version (regardless they need that or not). BF $200 deal will tank the price more. Better sell it sooner if plan to.

​Only Skyrim bundle is confirmed to have new headset. I have already returned the old headset bought from Target a month ago, I'm considering to get the Skyrim bundle and sell the Move Controllers as I already have those from PS3
According to this Reddit thread, the Doom bundle has the new headset as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/7d4sc0/introducing_the_playstation_vr_doom_vfr_bundle/

Interesting news for the Skyrim Bundle too - not only does it come with the newer version of the headset, but it also comes with the newer Micro USB (PS4) Move Controllers too, at least according to this site.  Good news all around. 

Now, just to see when exactly it goes on sale like the other bundles.  :)

I really hope Amazon drops the Skyrim bundle to $350 today so I can order it and have it by tomorrow.  Gonna be checking it all day even though I setup a CamelCamelCamel alert lol.

Skyrim VR is legit. Playing on a Pro and there's definitely bluriness and other issues in the distance but the world is hilariously rich and alive compared to anything else out there and in VR all the trivial silly things like wild animals, door signs, and table settings make everything extremely immersive. For anyone who hasn't played PSVR yet I recommend trying it to get a grasp on the limitations of it but if you fall into the likely small group of those who never played Skyrim but might get it for VR or even buying PSVR exclusively for Skyrim I can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

I'm one of those people who has NEVER played Skyrim even though I own the Legendary Edition on PS3 (and have resisted the urge to buy the Special Edition on PS4), so I'm glad to hear that Skyrim VR is good.  It might become a big, big time sink for me if I'm able to pick up a $200 headset from BBY on Sunday!

Well, I suggested that as a means of telling if the game is going to give you nausea issues.
Thank goodness for demos. I've been on the fence with Driveclub for a while. I tried the demo tonight to see if I wanted to invest the $10 for the full game. Unfortunately, the demo made me motion sick pretty fast. I couldn't even finish one track before stopping. I don't mind the less-than-stellar graphics, but I can't play any game if it makes me sick.

So has the Skyrim VR bundled been confirmed for the $100 off at any retailers yet? I was ready to buy it today, but haven't seen anything for sure that confirms (from retailers, not Sony) it will be on sale. 

So has the Skyrim VR bundled been confirmed for the $100 off at any retailers yet? I was ready to buy it today, but haven't seen anything for sure that confirms (from retailers, not Sony) it will be on sale.
As has been stated many times in the thread, it has been confirmed.

As has been stated many times in the thread, it has been confirmed.
I think only some retailers (Target, GS) mentioned $100 off with vague terms like "selected bundles" and didn't specifically said the skyrim bundle. BestBuy only has the GT bundle $100 off in the BF preview on their website.

We've yet to know any more retailers are participating.

I think only some retailers (Target, GS) mentioned $100 off with vague terms like "selected bundles" and didn't specifically said the skyrim bundle. We've yet to know any more retailers are participating.
This.

Not a single Black Friday ad has shown the Skyrim bundle with a $349 price tag. All are for the GT Sport for $300 or just the VR headset for $200. To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) the only single mention of the Skyrim bundle was in a PlayStation Blog post. Considering they don't choose the retailers sales, I'm not taking that as full confirmation anyone is selling that specific bundle for $349.

This.

Not a single Black Friday ad has shown the Skyrim bundle with a $349 price tag. All are for the GT Sport for $300 or just the VR headset for $200. To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) the only single mention of the Skyrim bundle was in a PlayStation Blog post. Considering they don't choose the retailers sales, I'm not taking that as full confirmation anyone is selling that specific bundle for $349.
Playstation does this all the time, announcing a sale like this on their blog, and poof, it's on sale in stores when they said!
One year they announced standard PS4 bundles would be $50 off at major retailers for a week, and they were. Not to mention this bundle sale isn't a sale initiated by the retailer for Black Friday, but by Sony for that week. Manufacturers and retailers communicate all of the time for manufacturer promotions that are typically announced by the manufacturer instead of the retailer.

Playstation does this all the time, announcing a sale like this on their blog, and poof, it's on sale in stores when they said!
One year they announced standard PS4 bundles would be $50 off at major retailers for a week, and they were. Not to mention this bundle sale isn't a sale initiated by the retailer for Black Friday, but by Sony for that week. Manufacturers and retailers communicate all of the time for manufacturer promotions that are typically announced by the manufacturer instead of the retailer.
I completely get and understand that. It also says participating retailers though. Considering the majority have their Black Friday ads available, and are only advertising the GT Sport and base headset, makes me question who's actually participating for that bundle. Obviously I hope you're right, I was just hoping for direct confirmation through an ad. Plus, my luck is pretty crap with snagging deals lol

I completely get and understand that. It also says participating retailers though. Considering the majority have their Black Friday ads available, and are only advertising the GT Sport and base headset, makes me question who's actually participating for that bundle. Obviously I hope you're right, I was just hoping for direct confirmation through an ad. Plus, my luck is pretty crap with snagging deals lol
Without knowing the "participating retailers", it's hard for some people to plan their day. Online might be easier but things could be gone because you're late in making a few clicks.

Without knowing the "participating retailers", it's hard for some people to plan their day. Online might be easier but things could be gone because you're late in making a few clicks.
That's pretty much my main concern lol I wanted this bundle prior to the BF announcement. So I might just buy it at GameStop tomorrow. Then try to get another online, then return that one to GameStop. I'd rather get stuck paying full price than have it be sold out through the holidays.

Purchase with a credit card that has price protection.  Then use that to price match later if the deal is only happening at a store different from the one you purchased at.

Purchase with a credit card that has price protection. Then use that to price match later if the deal is only happening at a store different from the one you purchased at.
Actually my new credit card I just got has price protection, now that I looked into it. So thank you. Looks like I'll be heading to GameStop tomorrow.

Plan what day? The bundle price drops by $100 starting on Sunday. You will be able to buy the discounted bundles well before BF. There is no way that any authorized Sony retailer is not going to honor the pricing, so you are worrying about literally nothing.

Skyrim VR is legit. Playing on a Pro and there's definitely bluriness and other issues in the distance but the world is hilariously rich and alive compared to anything else out there and in VR all the trivial silly things like wild animals, door signs, and table settings make everything extremely immersive. For anyone who hasn't played PSVR yet I recommend trying it to get a grasp on the limitations of it but if you fall into the likely small group of those who never played Skyrim but might get it for VR or even buying PSVR exclusively for Skyrim I can't imagine anyone being disappointed.
I'm curious on your opinion on this...

I never liked Skyrim or Morromind or Fallout or any of those types of game. I'm just not into that style of game. I'm going to 100% get the Skyrim bundle just because I want PSVR and that has the latest version. I was going to just sell Skyrim before opening it. Do you think someone like me who isn't into RPG's at all or those types of game would have fun with it?

Purchase with a credit card that has price protection. Then use that to price match later if the deal is only happening at a store different from the one you purchased at.
I have a couple Chase credit cards but have never used price protection. Is it that easy to do if I were to buy the Skyrim bundle today at like GameStop, then see it on sale somehwere for $350 later this week? I've never used price protection before so I'm curious how painless/painful the process is.

I haven't had a chance to demo the PSVR but have been wanting to bite. I do have a crap ton of BB gift cards so I am wondering if I should maybe jump on some of the discounted games and then hope the Skyrim bundle does drop.

I haven't had a chance to demo the PSVR but have been wanting to bite. I do have a crap ton of BB gift cards so I am wondering if I should maybe jump on some of the discounted games and then hope the Skyrim bundle does drop.
GameStop said that all PSVR bundles will be $100 off on Thanksgiving through the weekend so it's definitely going to be $350 at some spots. I'm petty sure Target said that as well, and I'm like 99% sure Amazon is going to have it at $350 at some point as well.

I have a couple Chase credit cards but have never used price protection. Is it that easy to do if I were to buy the Skyrim bundle today at like GameStop, then see it on sale somehwere for $350 later this week? I've never used price protection before so I'm curious how painless/painful the process is.
I've only used it with Discover, but I imagine the process is similar. Just call customer service to start the claim. Fill out a document. Attach receipts and the ad you're matching. And the check is in the mailbox in ike 2 weeks.

To anyone else playing Skyrim, do all ranged attacks seem kind of broken? Not just arrows but magic as well. They all seem to not get very far, and not in an I suck and they fall short kind of way, but in a the arrow and magic just seem to disappear past a cetain range kind of way.

I'm curious on your opinion on this...

I never liked Skyrim or Morromind or Fallout or any of those types of game. I'm just not into that style of game. I'm going to 100% get the Skyrim bundle just because I want PSVR and that has the latest version. I was going to just sell Skyrim before opening it. Do you think someone like me who isn't into RPG's at all or those types of game would have fun with it?
Skyrim VR is less like an RPG and more like going to Australia, except this Australia has dragons, wizards, etc. The point is that Skyrim (and the ES games in general) were always going for the "go anywhere, do anything" design approach which made them so popular. In VR that whole concept is taken to another level when every cave, castle, or cavern you're standing in feels like its actually in front of you. Half the NPCs have sizable dialogue trees so just asking someone about their shop will lead to an actual conversation with someone standing behind a counter. The game has PS3 graphics, a mediocre draw distance, etc. Some of these issues are even on the PS4 console version. If those things matter to you the PSVR may be a bad idea altogether and you might want to save and build a PC for VR. Otherwise I think Skyrim really is a glimpse at the imagined holodeck future people have wanted forever.

To anyone else playing Skyrim, do all ranged attacks seem kind of broken? Not just arrows but magic as well. They all seem to not get very far, and not in an I suck and they fall short kind of way, but in a the arrow and magic just seem to disappear past a cetain range kind of way.
I'm playing a mage and since the difficulty is novice and I'm playing with a DS4 I find the game incredibly easy within the first hour. There was always some sort of falloff for ranged magic if I remember correctly but I don't know if it was significantly changed for VR.

I've only used it with Discover, but I imagine the process is similar. Just call customer service to start the claim. Fill out a document. Attach receipts and the ad you're matching. And the check is in the mailbox in ike 2 weeks.
I actually have the Chase Freedom card and when you mentioned it last night, my pamphlet that came with the card pretty much describes exactly what you said. I went this morning and picked up the last Skyrim bundle at my Gamestop (so thanks again). So I guess I'll find out how difficult this process is, but it seems fairly simple. More time spent waiting than effort.

I've heard mixed things about the Move controller for VR. My only experience with VR has been Oculus with the Touch controller, and this certainly seems like a step down. Is it much better than playing with the DS4?  I'm debating whether to the get the Skyrim bundle this week (hoping for $350) or wait for the Doom bundle (also w/ new headset, but no Move controller) and hope that that one also shows up for $100 off before Christmas.  Not all that interested in either game, tbh, but maybe slightly more interest in Doom. 

I've heard mixed things about the Move controller for VR. My only experience with VR has been Oculus with the Touch controller, and this certainly seems like a step down. Is it much better than playing with the DS4? I'm debating whether to the get the Skyrim bundle this week (hoping for $350) or wait for the Doom bundle (also w/ new headset, but no Move controller) and hope that that one also shows up for $100 off before Christmas. Not all that interested in either game, tbh, but maybe slightly more interest in Doom.
I'd say just go for the Skyrim bundle. The move controllers are definitely a downgrade from Oculus Touch, but they're still worth having for the few games that really benefit from them (Skyrim VR, Farpoint w/ aim, any other game designed for ~1:1 hand presence). For a $50 difference I'd definitely pick up the Skyrim bundle instead. Also even if you're not too interested in either game, Skyrim VR retails at $60 while Doom VFR retails at $30, so they Skyrim bundle will still give you more value in that regard.

I actually have the Chase Freedom card and when you mentioned it last night, my pamphlet that came with the card pretty much describes exactly what you said. I went this morning and picked up the last Skyrim bundle at my Gamestop (so thanks again). So I guess I'll find out how difficult this process is, but it seems fairly simple. More time spent waiting than effort.
I was looking into the price protection on the Chase Sapphire Reserve and found this here:

https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1130207/Inline/SapphireReserveCard_V0000039_BGC10582_Eng.pdf?__gda__=exp=1511056170~acl=/api3/file/1130207/Inline/SapphireReserveCard_V0000039_BGC10582_Eng.pdf*~hmac=672aa24f33f7af385340aa80c95c3d4c9d8fef82e3ce6637ab1639df17a024b2

If you go down to page 21 it has this...

What printed advertisements are not covered under Price Protection? Price Protection does not apply to:
• Advertisements for flea markets, fire sales, limited quantity promotions, seasonal sales or Auctions

• Advertisements of sales of seasonal or discontinued items including, but not limited to, holiday decorations, clothes, or costumes
That stopped me from doing it because I don't know how lenient they are because I would consider this sale a "seasonal sale" since it's all for Black Friday for the most part.

For anyone curious, the Skyrim bundle definitely has micro usb Move controllers, which is a bummer if you have any charging stands or things like that. Before upgrading I didn’t get a chance to try my original PSVR cables in the new breakout box, but most definitely looks like they’d have fit. The power button on the headset is right in front of your nose on the bottom, and in-line controls that used to be on the cable, are on the front left of the headset bottom. All in all, it’s the same headset with a different layout and box.

I've heard mixed things about the Move controller for VR. My only experience with VR has been Oculus with the Touch controller, and this certainly seems like a step down. Is it much better than playing with the DS4? I'm debating whether to the get the Skyrim bundle this week (hoping for $350) or wait for the Doom bundle (also w/ new headset, but no Move controller) and hope that that one also shows up for $100 off before Christmas. Not all that interested in either game, tbh, but maybe slightly more interest in Doom.
The Move controllers are great and way better for VR games that utilize them than DualShock 4 can ever be and you'd be missing out on a lot of the best games if you don't get them. The only reason to use the DS4 in Skyrim is if you're rebelling against the notion of motion control for that game and just want to play classic style Skyrim with direct control of the camera.

The Move controllers are great and way better for VR games that utilize them than DualShock 4 can ever be and you'd be missing out on a lot of the best games if you don't get them. The only reason to use the DS4 in Skyrim is if you're rebelling against the notion of motion control for that game and just want to play classic style Skyrim with direct control of the camera.
I am going to disagree about Skyrim. Generally, the Move controllers are the way to go, but Skyrim wasn't designed for them. You don't pick up items to look at. You don't turn doorknobs or anything like that. Most of the things you want that kind of control over in VR just don't apply in Skyrim.

For anyone curious, the Skyrim bundle definitely has micro usb Move controllers, which is a bummer if you have any charging stands or things like that. Before upgrading I didn’t get a chance to try my original PSVR cables in the new breakout box, but most definitely looks like they’d have fit. The power button on the headset is right in front of your nose on the bottom, and in-line controls that used to be on the cable, are on the front left of the headset bottom. All in all, it’s the same headset with a different layout and box.
Do the micro USB move controllers still have 2 metal contacts at the bottom? If they still have them, shouldn't be an issue. A proper move controller charging stand should use those contacts, not a the USB port.

I am going to disagree about Skyrim. Generally, the Move controllers are the way to go, but Skyrim wasn't designed for them. You don't pick up items to look at. You don't turn doorknobs or anything like that. Most of the things you want that kind of control over in VR just don't apply in Skyrim.
I started with DS4 just because I really wanted to dive in and not fight the controls. I've heard real mixed opinions on Skyrim's controls and to be honest I bet class and playstyle have a huge impact. I'm playing mage and imagine using my actual hand to torch wild animals will help me live out a long held fantasy.

So the Skyrim bundle for $349 deal is supposed to start tomorrow right? I'm hoping I'll be able to order one later tonight if prices change on time...

So the Skyrim bundle for $349 deal is supposed to start tomorrow right? I'm hoping I'll be able to order one later tonight if prices change on time...
Nothing has been official that it's starting tomorrow as far as like it being in an ad or anything tomorrow. Sony said that participating retailers will be dropping bundles starting the 19th through the 27th.

However I think some of us are expecting it to happen at Best Buy because the headset itself is dropping from $299 to $199 tomorrow and that is in their ad. I hope it happens tomorrow so I can go grab one at 11am.

I was able to get them to honor the price today.
Just ask if it is not marked down in the syste.. the manager also honored a fee other black Friday prices for me also. Ymmv

bread's done
Back