Official Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver thread of 10 year nostalgia rush

I would Doomed, but I don't have a water stone. I'd be willing to evolve your haunter though. Just pm me if you are willing to do it.

So I lost in the 4th round of the regionals to a funky team of shiny Groudon and shiny Palkia

maybe I shouldve requested and legit check

Water Stones are attached to Staryu on a Pokewalker course. Warm Beach has Fire Stones. Bug-Catching Contests will give elemental stones if you place first (tip: catch a rare Pokemon at full HP by putting it to sleep).

Damn, I can't seem to catch Raikou or Entei to save my life. No matter what I do they end up fleeing.. I've used Mean Look and Hypnosis a bunch of times but they always somehow end up fleeing. Would probably be a huge help to catch one of them since I can't seem to get past the 8th gym leader. Trying to train my Jynx on my Pearl version but I'm stuck in some cave with level 14's so that's not much help :lol:

I ended up catching Ho-oh like 30-something times trying to get the Nature I wanted with decent IVs... of course, I did this while watching season one of Lie to Me, so it wasn't quite as maddening...

http://kotaku.com/5598658/nows-your-chance-to-grab-pokemons-enigma-stone

Starting July 31, North America players of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver have 28 days to download the Enigma Stone, the key to unlocking Legendary Pokemon Latias and Latios. Legendary Pokemon Latias can be captured in Pokemon HeartGold. Her brother Latios can be captured in Pokemon SoulSilver. Both are exclusive to those games, unless the player has access to an Enigma Stone.

How does one get an Enigma stone?

From July 31 through August 27, The Pokemon Company and Nintendo are making the Enigma Stone available to Pokemon fans in North America. Players with wireless access will be able to download the special item, which eventually leads to a chance at catching Latios in HeartGold and Latias in SoulSilver.

In order to use the Enigma Stone, players will need to have beaten the Elite Four, claimed the National Pokedex, and have two or fewer Wonder Cards in their possession. Bulbapedia has a nifty little summary of how the deal goes down.

Just make sure you go online and claim your Enigma Stone before August 27. Then you can start worrying about how to use it to get dates.

[quote name='vuvu123']I'm thinking of picking up a copy for my nephew. Is one version better than the other overall?[/QUOTE]

They are 99.5% the same. There are some pokes that are only available in one version or the other, but thats it. One version is not any better than the other.

[quote name='Puffa469']They are 99.5% the same. There are some pokes that are only available in one version or the other, but thats it. One version is not any better than the other.[/QUOTE]

Generally the masses always pick one version over the other despite you being right about them being practically the same. Silver seems to be the favorite this time around. Although I picked Gold because I wanted a Growlithe/Arcanine as my fire pokemon. fuck Ponyta/Rapidash!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Generally the masses always pick one version over the other despite you being right about them being practically the same. Silver seems to be the favorite this time around. Although I picked Gold because I wanted a Growlithe/Arcanine as my fire pokemon. fuck Ponyta/Rapidash![/QUOTE]QFT.

Though I only picked HG because my buddy was getting SS :lol:

[quote name='vuvu123']I'm thinking of picking up a copy for my nephew. Is one version better than the other overall?[/QUOTE]
HeartGold is the better game, there are certain Pokemon you can only catch in HG. Otherwise he would have to trade with someone who has HG.

If images are important for your nephew, get SoulSilver. Pokemon carries enough of a negative image anyway.

(Why heart Nintendo?)

[quote name='Doomed']HeartGold is the better game, there are certain Pokemon you can only catch in HG. Otherwise he would have to trade with someone who has HG.

If images are important for your nephew, get SoulSilver. Pokemon carries enough of a negative image anyway.

(Why heart Nintendo?)[/QUOTE]

...and there are certain pokemon you can only catch in Soul Silver.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']...and there are certain pokemon you can only catch in Soul Silver.[/QUOTE]
The better ones are in HG, this is coming from a SS buyer.

[quote name='Doomed']The better ones are in HG, this is coming from a SS buyer.[/QUOTE]

While opinions do differ, Soul Silver tends to be more popular. Just sayin'

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']While opinions do differ, Soul Silver tends to be more popular. Just sayin'[/QUOTE]
It sold far more because Lugia looks cooler and "heart" sounds bad.

[quote name='Doomed']Trade with yourself over the GTS.

-Download the file attached to this post, unzip it wherever.
-If you don't already have Python 2.6 download and install the version that fits your OS from http://python.org/download/
-In the files you unzipped earlier, look for sendpkm.py. Drag the PKM file you wish to send onto that file. Note that the PKM file must be a party PKM, not one from storage.
-A window will pop up telling you to set your DS's DNS server to the given address. To do this boot your pokemon game on your DS and choose "Nintendo WFC Settings" from the main menu.
-Tap whichever connection you're using and edit the settings. Select "No" for Auto-obtain DNS and enter the address given to you by the program for the primary DNS.
-Save the settings and go into the GTS/GTC ingame. It may take a few moments, but the PKM file on your computer will be sent to your game. If your party is full it will be sent to box 1 of the PC.
-Don't forget to set the DNS settings on your DS back to normal if you want to use official online functions!

sendpkm.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?ycydiznqzkz

Get .pkm files at http://www.pkmdb.com/NDS-English-Event-Downloads
or http://pkmdb.webs.com/[/QUOTE]

Is there any way I can get the Surfing or flying Pikachu this way? I couldn't catch any. :(

[quote name='Tech Star']Is there any way I can get the Surfing or flying Pikachu this way? I couldn't catch any. :([/QUOTE]

You can get the .pkm files for the surfing/flying Pikachu on the first post of this thread.

Also, this site has basically every Event Pokemon. Some of you guys might find it useful.

I haven't used my Pokewalker in such a long time, lol... Actually, haven't even really played this game yet as my sister plays it all the time on my DS.

[quote name='BLink']Anyone has a Deoxys for a pokedex data entry trade? Will reward with an egg of any eggable pokemon.[/QUOTE]

I'll do it for a beldum

I have
lv 30 from Kanto
lv 70 SPACE C

And I could change the form for you.

Hoozah! I might delete my save file and make a new one... I used to just play by leveling up 2 pokemon and beat everyone with that, but the correct way to play is to level up all your pokemon evenly.

I have to charge my DS first... Also, anyone mind posting a IV/EV guide/howto here? Or, basically a competitive battling guide. It seems so confusing and a lot of work.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Hoozah! I might delete my save file and make a new one... I used to just play by leveling up 2 pokemon and beat everyone with that, but the correct way to play is to level up all your pokemon evenly.[/QUOTE]

There's no "right way," it's how you want to do it. When I played SoulSilver, I used my Dratini/Dragonair as much as possible because it evolved the slowest and latest. I used Dragonair against every single Team Rocket grunt in the Radio Tower (which got it to evolve by the end).

As far as a competitive guide, check GameFAQs, Bulbapedia, Smogon or Serebii.

Back when I played Pokemon Crystal I mostly leveled up my starter, but in Soul Silver I managed to keep my team's levels fairly even.

I've stopped playing for quite some time. I still take my Pokewalker because I'd feel like my everyday steps went to waste if I didn't. I do enjoy leveling up my guys while going on walks and hikes. :)

I quit playing for a while after I beat Red. Now I really want to play through Soul Silver and Emerald Version again.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red/Blue/Yellow. I'm really interested in picking up Heart Gold or Soul Silver for my DS since I never played GBC Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Should I get Heart Gold/Soul Silver or just pick up Fire Red or Leaf Green for the GBA to relive the Red/Blue/Yellow era?

Story and setting aside, all the GBA Pokemon games have the same pokemon, items, and movesets. The same with the DS games. That's why Pokemon games are often referred to as belonging to "generations". Even though the story in Fire Red and Leaf Green would be familiar to you, much of it won't. And even then, going to Heart Gold and Soul Silver will be a change as well.

My advice would be to stick with the DS games if you have a DS. There really aren't many reasons to play the GBA ones.

I disagree. HG/SS really drags in the middle portion, and never fully recovers. FR/LG is (probably) shorter, but the story is more coherent and there's more story-based content to do after the main story.

I bought SoulSilver, since a friend of mine bought HeartGold to relive his childhood, and wanted someone else to be be 10 years old with him. It's been fun so far, but I've actually died a few times during the initial egg delivery objective, because the damn Weedle's poison sting automatically gets you poisoned now. This definitely looks like good remake, although I wouldn't mind the entire game being sped up a bit more.

[quote name='DQT']We're never going to get Celebi, are we?[/QUOTE]

That's because Nintendo don't give a fuck about US players. We only get a handful of the promos that Japanese players get. :bomb:

[quote name='mogamer']That's because Nintendo don't give a fuck about US players. We only get a handful of the promos that Japanese players get. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I just saw that Mew will be available to download 15 - 30 October! It's about time US players got something rare!

bread's done
Back