Official Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver thread of 10 year nostalgia rush

[quote name='mogamer']I just saw that Mew will be available to download 15 - 30 October! It's about time US players got something rare![/QUOTE]

Source?

Forgive me for my noobness...I'm getting my kids (6 & 8) each a DS for christmas and copies of Heartgold & Soulsilver. Unfortunately that does me no good with the Mew download. Would anybody here be willing to download Mew and trade with my kids after christmas? I'm assuming this can be done but I don't know enough about trading pokemon between DS systems. I would need this done twice. I'm hoping someone will just do this for free but I can pay a small fee or trade comics/toys/etc if need be.

Cap'n_RDM;7712246 said:
Forgive me for my noobness...I'm getting my kids (6 & 8) each a DS for christmas and copies of Heartgold & Soulsilver. Unfortunately that does me no good with the Mew download. Would anybody here be willing to download Mew and trade with my kids after christmas? I'm assuming this can be done but I don't know enough about trading pokemon between DS systems. I would need this done twice. I'm hoping someone will just do this for free but I can pay a small fee or trade comics/toys/etc if need be.

I'll trade you mine for free. I don't have my DS's on hand, but reading the HG/SS booklet (and a Game FAQs walkthrough if needed) should explain how to trade between DS's locally and through WiFi.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Source?[/QUOTE]

It was just confirmed on G4's Attack of the Show
Prove enough when we all try it on the 15th.

Does anyone play competitively? I just picked up SoulSilver recently and my brother took notice, then asked if I want to battle. I know Smogon is a nice resource.

Any suggestions on what team I should construct? My brother is just a casual player, so I'm guessing it's anything goes (flat battle). I know he has a lot of the legendaries and he's really the pokemon addict so he might have other things up his sleeve-- which is why I don't think Smogon would help that much since they're more focused on strategy among tiers. Still, I want to destroy him, so what should I do in constructing a well balanced team?

In terms of where I am in the game, I just caught Lugia. I haven't really started gathering a lot of Pokemon or building a solid team. Really, my only developed Pokemon is a lv62 Typhlosion. =p

[quote name='mogamer']That's because Nintendo don't give a fuck about US players. We only get a handful of the promos that Japanese players get. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I guess I was being a little facetious with my previous post. I expected Celebi and the shiny legendaries to come out. With the all the talk surrounding BW and the freaking 3DS I was getting worried. Both will be out before you know it.

I was a little worried Nintendo would quietly expect everyone to get that terrible Pokemon Ranch (what are the absurd requirements? upload like a million pokemon?) game if they wanted Mew.

EDIT: Also now that people are posting again, does anybody have a spare flying Pikachu from the Pokewalker? I have three Surfing ones for trade as well as Feebas, Spiritomb, starters or any other Pokemon that is breedable.

[quote name='shinryuu']Does anyone play competitively? I just picked up SoulSilver recently and my brother took notice, then asked if I want to battle. I know Smogon is a nice resource.

Any suggestions on what team I should construct? My brother is just a casual player, so I'm guessing it's anything goes (flat battle). I know he has a lot of the legendaries and he's really the pokemon addict so he might have other things up his sleeve-- which is why I don't think Smogon would help that much since they're more focused on strategy among tiers. Still, I want to destroy him, so what should I do in constructing a well balanced team?

In terms of where I am in the game, I just caught Lugia. I haven't really started gathering a lot of Pokemon or building a solid team. Really, my only developed Pokemon is a lv62 Typhlosion. =p[/QUOTE]

Use Smogen S they can be very helpful in team building if you look past the the tiers and all that.

Just look up your favorite pokemon and see the different ways to use them. Then use the team builder part and make ur own team how you want.
I play in a league and I'm the flying gym leader.
Just use whet you like and let Smogen help you make your good team GREAT.

Cap'n_RDM;7712246 said:

[quote name='icedrake523']I'll trade you mine for free. I don't have my DS's on hand, but reading the HG/SS booklet (and a Game FAQs walkthrough if needed) should explain how to trade between DS's locally and through WiFi.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for offering to do this for me. I'll shoot you a PM. I'll also read up on how to conduct trades.

1 down, 1 to go...anyone else willing to help out?

I can probably do it twice. I have a USB adapter for DS carts that let's me copy game saves onto my computer. I'd just have to first trade it to my Diamond cart since the adapter doesn't work with the SS cart.

[quote name='icedrake523']I can probably do it twice. I have a USB adapter for DS carts that let's me copy game saves onto my computer. I'd just have to first trade it to my Diamond cart since the adapter doesn't work with the SS cart.[/QUOTE]

Go on about this USB adapter. Is this a way to use Pokesav on a legit cart?

This is the adapter. Same site I bought it from.
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog/NDS-Backup-Adapter-p-2815.html

I think the easiest way to use PokeSav is to get an Action Replay. You can save the edit as a ARDS code, then drag that to the AR program and then copy it to your Action Reply while it's connected to your PC. You can use it on a legit cart. I've used it to give myself competitive Pokemon to use in Battle Tower.

I just want 999 BP and Game Corner coins so I can buy those TM's.

I don't play competitively and RNG abuse is out of my league, but there is some satisfaction in breeding a Pokemon with great IV's and EV training them yourself (rather than hacking a perfect one). Maybe that's just me.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I just want 999 BP and Game Corner coins so I can buy those TM's.

I don't play competitively and RNG abuse is out of my league, but there is some satisfaction in breeding a Pokemon with great IV's and EV training them yourself (rather than hacking a perfect one). Maybe that's just me.[/QUOTE]

+1
Same here; I SR my legendaries and breeds. I'm glad to see that there are other people here who don't just manufacture RNG abused pokemon like a factory.

Go to your wonder cards section, hit A and trash the wonder card. You can only have a max of 3 of them at any time, once you get whatever it is they provide there is no point in keeping them.

Can anybody recommend some good places to grind before the rematch with the Elite Four besides calling up trainers over and over? All I've done today was fight Firebreather Walt repeatedly.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Can anybody recommend some good places to grind before the rematch with the Elite Four besides calling up trainers over and over? All I've done today was fight Firebreather Walt repeatedly.[/QUOTE]
I just managed to beat them last night. What I did was pretty much grind on the elite 4, it's the best exp you're going to get.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just managed to beat them last night. What I did was pretty much grind on the elite 4, it's the best exp you're going to get.[/QUOTE]Was just about to recommend that as well, but from the context he was using it seemed like he had already taken out
Blue
so that is no longer an option.

Anyone willing to trade these pokemon with me:
Skitty,Delcatty
Hippopotas,it's evolution
Glameow,it's evolution
Mawile
Croagunk,Toxicroak

Picked this up during one of Amazon's Black Friday Weekend Lightning Deals. I've got all 16 badges and am starting to obtain some of the NationalDex pokemon. Haven't started using the Pokewalker, although I really should.

[quote name='snakelda']Anyone willing to trade these pokemon with me:
Skitty,Delcatty
Glameow,it's evolution
Mawile
Croagunk,Toxicroak[/QUOTE]
I can help out. Give me a few days though.

[quote name='snakelda']Anyone willing to trade these pokemon with me:
Skitty,Delcatty
Glameow,it's evolution
Mawile
Croagunk,Toxicroak[/QUOTE]

I've got

glameow
mawile
croagunk+Toxicroak
and I think Hippopotas+Hippowdon

Just picked up Heart Gold recently, any advice before I start up the game? I have been out of the Pokemon loop since Red/Blue/Yellow of the original Gameboy. Anything I should really watch out for, like one time events/items that were different from the original Red/Blue/Yellow? Thanks ahead.

Nah.

Gold and Silver were given an overhaul in that department. Those one-time event only can be captured even if you faint them. Once you beat the elite four, all of those special encounter pokemon like the roaming dogs, the legendary birds, snorlax, Ho-oh and so forth will respawn if you failed to capture them. Killed them the second time? Fight the Elite Four again.

It's a lot easier. You'll notice a level difference in pokemon too.

Hm, but at the start, you may want to hatch that egg you get and put it on your main team. It comes with a pretty decent new move and it's great for fighting upcoming ghost pokemon. Also, work on your Pokewalker. You can get a lot of great items from it. And don't do it by putting it on a collar of a pet or shaking it. Just wear it on your waist throughout your day. You'll rack up points fast enough.

Snake, I'm sorry I forgot completely about the pokies. Send me a PM to let me know which you're still looking for. If it's all of them, that's fine.

So I just beat Blue and then went to fight Red, just to see holy shit his pokemon are so much higher levels than mine (early 60s, except for my caught Ho-oh and Mewtwo which are 70). What is the best way to grind out all of those levels to fight Red, farming the Elite 4 over and over again? Thanks.

I'd say the Gym Leader rematches are your best bet. They'll basically give you the same EXP and money as fighting the elite 4, but it'll be a lot faster without the dialogue and whatnot. Plus they're finally all using six pokemon.

It can take a while to get all of their phone numbers, but once they're stored, no matter what time, you can call one of them down there repeatedly to grind on. Oh and get a Lucky Egg to double your EXP rate. They're a bit rare to find in-game (least in HG/SS), so you may want to try trading for one.

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/gym-rematch.shtml

Thanks, doing that means I can farm which gym leader is weak to the individual pokemon I need to grind up, since they all should be of that type, making it go by faster. I just have to figure out how to deal with his Snorlax and Pikachu, since I don't have any fighters or ground pokemon in my normal rotation. I do use another Snorlax (personal fave, hehe), so maybe I could just use him to brute force Pikachu with. Then maybe brute force the Snorlax with psychic with either Mew or Mewtwo.

Started playing HeartGold recently and just finished gym leader Jasmine. I can't believe how difficult of a time I had, just won by spamming.

I kind of wish I could transfer my level 50s from my old Pokemon Blue cartridge. It seems that's not possible.

How do you challenge trainers again? I'm having trouble leveling up for the Elite Four. I've tried hanging around Victory Road's exit near the Pokemon Center.

Double Post/Bump

I beat the elite 4 on Heart Gold. Can't seem to find any ghost type or dark types except the crow bird one. I just arrived in Lavender Town and from my shock that the ghost tower is replaced with something else.

Anyway, now that I'm a little further in the game. Is there any more reasons to pick up LeafGreen/FireRed?

I might pick up Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald because of exclusive Pokemon. The only reason I'd pick up FR/LG is because I don't have a copy of Soul Silver and another DS. I also can't connect to the Internet with my DSlite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides playing through LeafGreen/FireRed, I think you are also be able to use the Pal Park feature with HeartGold so you could transfer your team from the game(s) to your HeartGold save file if you wanted. Depends on how much you want the additional Kanto pokemon in those versions in addition to their legendaries, even though you can catch a lot of them in the Kanto area of HeartGold. I guess the biggest benefit would be the fact that you could get as many of the Kanto starters as you'd want since you could constantly re-start the game. You'd get more variety if you had Ruby/Saphire/Emerald, and used the Pal Park to transfer them over though.

Regarding a Ghost type, a quick search on Serebii shows that you can find Misdreavus in the following locations:
Mt. Silver
The Cliff Cave
Safari Zone
http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/200.shtml

For a Dark type, another quick search on Serebii for Houndour revealed the following locations:
Route 7
Safari Zone (Special Items)
http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/228.shtml

If you're rather have a pure Dark type, there's also Poochyena who can find found on route 1: http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/261.shtml

I think it has to be night time for you to encounter any of them. The Serebii "Details" link next to the locations you can find them in for HeartGold has more information. Those are just three that I remembered off of the top of my head, so there may be others that are different/better.

Thanks for the response. I've used that website as a reference before, but got discouraged.

It said that there was a pokemon I was looking for in the Slowpoke Well. Either it was a dark type, ghost type, or some other type of pokemon that was there.

I never found that a particular pokemon in the well. Thanks again, I'll take a look at the mentioned locations.

Edit: On a side note, I kind of wish technical/technique machines, TMs were unlimited or could be found again in Heart Gold/Soul Silver. I heard that Pokemon Black/White has unlimited TMs.

Went through the Celebi event, kinda wish there was more too it. Still Giovanni getting his butt kicked again did feel nice.

And I finally caught a freakin' Kyogre with a Heavy Ball, after soo many failures with it, especially with other pokemon.

bread's done
Back