Official Prey Thread

Just DLed and beat... great game! I thought it was fairly original too. I just hope there are some more puzzle elements and that its a longer game. I mean at leat HL2 length.

Yes I thought the music was great too. Seven Mary Three was cool to listen too, I was suprised to see them on the box and had not listened to anything by them in many years.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Anyone have any updates as to why it's not here yet? :whistle2:x[/QUOTE]

No.

Everybody at MS is keeping there mouth shut and trying to avoid the issue; while 3D Realms is passing all blame off to MS.

Apparently it is still in the certification process.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Anyone have any updates as to why it's not here yet? :whistle2:x[/quote]

George Broussard, president of 3D Realms, posted this on their forums:

I wish I had some news for you, but I do not. But, at least I can post that I have no news, and let you know that we’re trying to keep you informed.
Nobody is telling us anything. If someone from Microsoft wants to contact me, feel free.
At this point you know what I know. I have no idea what the specifics are, in regard to the demo, and I have no estimate for a release. The 2K producers on the project don’t seem to be interested in keeping us (or Human Head) in the loop, or emailing us details.

Major Nelson posted a shoulder shrug more or less. fuck it, I'll just get the PC demo. I hope once PS3 is out it forces MS to get their shit in gear more as far as Marketplace. I mean, in this case we KNOW it's not the developer's fault. So what the fuck, MS?!

[quote name='Stuka']I hope once PS3 is out it forces MS to get their shit in gear more as far as Marketplace.[/QUOTE]

not if the ps3 marketplace thing sucks

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']good thing I'm the only one that thinks this game will be trash, so no dissappointment now/when the game and demo arrive[/QUOTE]

Go try the PC demo, and wallow in a shallow pool of your own ignorance.

[quote name='Ledhed']Go try the PC demo, and wallow in a shallow pool of your own ignorance.[/quote]
I have played it and it's just another run of the mill game to me. Sure the graphics are great, sure the weapons are new and interesting, and sure it runs smooth, but it's one of the lamest storylines I've ever heard/seen. A native American using a magical/futuristic bow and arrow and other highly advanced weaponry to kill aliens and save the world? To me it's just another weak story combined with good graphics and a run n' gun gameplay.

If you can't see that the story is meant to be tongue-in-cheek and ridiculous from the moment the aliens abduct you, then yes, this game is not meant for you. That is, those of you without a sense of humor.

Well if you think there is more to a shooting game than just bigger and badder guns and better graphics, then this game is not meant for you. That is, those of you who jump on the bandwagon about the same type of game that has been released during the 11 years of this game's development.

I really dont know if its not an oxymoron just to mention a FPS with a great story. Even Half-Life didnt have that great of a story. For me its good enough to have a fair or ok story to flavor the carnal carnage of my FPS.

Quoting myself from a thread I started. I guess I was too blind to see this thread :)

OK, so I know that Prey basically looks like a mindless shooter with the same drab, overly gross art as Doom 3, but I have to say that I really enjoyed the demo. Actually, I am amazed with how much I enjoyed it.

Even long after I had run through it, I was still looking back and thinking "wow, was really cool!" I wouldn't call it particularly innovative, but I would say that it is pretty creative. I'm not sure if it is 3D Realms' influence, or purely Human Head, but all the little touches make it great. If it is the doing of 3D Realms, then I have to draw the parallel to Duke Nukem 3D. Quirky weapons like the shrink gun totally remind me of little things like the sniper scope on the first gun. It may be nothing more than a clever animation, but the first time I used it I exclaimed "holy shit!" then proceeded to switch back and forth over and over again yelling at my little brother, "check this out!". Then you have all the funny comments from the character as well as the toilet interaction. I really hope the final version plays up the puzzle solving elements.

I couldn't care less about running around shooting guys, but exploring the environments, walking on gravity paths, and solving puzzles like the one where you send your body on the conveyor while in spirit mode
make the game stand out IMO. Anyway, it's not like I have never seen things like this in a game before, but I do think that they have presented them in a cool way, and i am really looking forward to playing through it.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Well if you think there is more to a shooting game than just bigger and badder guns and better graphics, then this game is not meant for you.[/QUOTE]

Comedy anybody? Crazy ass portals? Scare factors? Decent stories?

Seems to me like somebody is just a FPS hater.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']That is, those of you who jump on the bandwagon about the same type of game that has been released during the 11 years of this game's development.[/QUOTE]

This game hasn't been in development for 11 years.

The original Prey was first announced in 1995 and put on indefinite hold in 1999. In 2001, 3D Realms bought the Prey licence back from Infogrames and handed development duties down to Human Head Studios.

So while the idea of Prey is 11 years old, the current edition that is going to retail later this month is only 4-5 years old.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I have played it and it's just another run of the mill game to me. Sure the graphics are great, sure the weapons are new and interesting, and sure it runs smooth, but it's one of the lamest storylines I've ever heard/seen. A native American using a magical/futuristic bow and arrow and other highly advanced weaponry to kill aliens and save the world? To me it's just another weak story combined with good graphics and a run n' gun gameplay.[/QUOTE]

FPS games are about intense action and fun gameplay and MULTIPLAYER. I love a good story but that's secondary. Halo and Halo 2 are arguably the best console FPS games out there, and not because of their stories. Portals = new concept. Wallwalking = new concept. Spirit walking = new concept. Death walking = new concept. There are more new ideas in this game than perhaps any FPS I've seen or played in a long time. If they're well executed, I think it will be very hard to disregard this game as just another run of the mill FPS. I could be wrong, and I admit I haven't played the demo yet, but it seems to me that your arguments - even if true - do not do anything to take away from the potential of the game.

Good or bad, I'm excited that something unique is being attempted.

[quote name='Sporadic']Comedy anybody? Crazy ass portals? Scare factors? Decent stories?
Seems to me like somebody is just a FPS hater.[/quote] Oh really? I guess I should return over half my collection of games now that I realize that not liking Prey means not liking every single FPS :roll: Sounds to me like that was a bad conclusion.

[quote name='Sporadic']This game hasn't been in development for 11 years.
The original Prey was first announced in 1995 and put on indefinite hold in 1999. In 2001, 3D Realms bought the Prey licence back from Infogrames and handed development duties down to Human Head Studios.
So while the idea of Prey is 11 years old, the current edition that is going to retail later this month is only 4-5 years old.[/quote] You know what that whole argument boils down to? The game - whether it be the idea, the graphics, the story, the levels, w/e - has been in development for 11 years.

[quote name='morpheus_49017'] Halo and Halo 2 are arguably the best console FPS games out there, and not because of their stories. Portals = new concept. Wallwalking = new concept. Spirit walking = new concept. Death walking = new concept. There are more new ideas in this game than perhaps any FPS I've seen or played in a long time. If they're well executed, I think it will be very hard to disregard this game as just another run of the mill FPS. I could be wrong, and I admit I haven't played the demo yet, but it seems to me that your arguments - even if true - do not do anything to take away from the potential of the game.[/quote] That's great that you think Halo 1 and 2 are great games, but I don't. You know why? I think you do because you already said it: dumb stories. I'm glad that both you guys and everyone else who is jumping for joy about Prey are willing to throw down money for this game, but I'm not. It's also fun to read these arguments because they accomplish nothing. You're trying to tell me my opinion is wrong and even saying I hate FPS because I don't enjoy this game? What is that? If I don't like the game, get over yourself, I'm not going to stand in the way of you enjoying the game. I'm sorry if I don't bite on every "brand new FPS" that is released, because I see the same shit over and over just added with portals and wallwalking!!!
Bottomline: If you don't like my opinion, that's nice, but don't tell me it's wrong. By you liking a game that I happen to not like does not make it a good game, because it's all opinion. I never said anyone was ignorant for liking this game, all I said is that I am glad I am not wanting this game so I wouldn't be joining the ranks of whiners complaining about no demo and who will probably complaining after they get the game.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Oh really? I guess I should return over half my collection of games now that I realize that not liking Prey means not liking every single FPS :roll: Sounds to me like that was a bad conclusion.

You know what that whole argument boils down to? The game - whether it be the idea, the graphics, the story, the levels, w/e - has been in development for 11 years.

That's great that you think Halo 1 and 2 are great games, but I don't. You know why? I think you do because you already said it: dumb stories. I'm glad that both you guys and everyone else who is jumping for joy about Prey are willing to throw down money for this game, but I'm not. It's also fun to read these arguments because they accomplish nothing. You're trying to tell me my opinion is wrong and even saying I hate FPS because I don't enjoy this game? What is that? If I don't like the game, get over yourself, I'm not going to stand in the way of you enjoying the game. I'm sorry if I don't bite on every "brand new FPS" that is released, because I see the same shit over and over just added with portals and wallwalking!!!
Bottomline: If you don't like my opinion, that's nice, but don't tell me it's wrong. By you liking a game that I happen to not like does not make it a good game, because it's all opinion. I never said anyone was ignorant for liking this game, all I said is that I am glad I am not wanting this game so I wouldn't be joining the ranks of whiners complaining about no demo and who will probably complaining after they get the game.[/QUOTE]

I didn't state that your opinion is wrong. Nor will I. It's an opinion, and therefore can not be. I'm glad to hear that you're not a big fan of the Halo games as well, because that gives me another idea of your game tastes. Obviously they're not the same as mine - or most of the other people who are anticipating this game. I am curious though, what FPS games are you a big fan of? I would love an FPS with the production values of Halo and the story of detail of KOTOR something along those lines, but I can't think of one I've ever played...

I was going to pick up FarCry, mostly for a multiplayer fix, but this seems to be getting a lot of praise and I think I'll hold off for this.

I'm gonna preorder this later today, me thinks. Limited Edition tin.

Can't wait 'til the game comes out.

tsk tsk FPS games... I guess the only fps i think that has pretty good story is HL2, and tha'ts about it. But do I care - not really. I play almost all the fps games out there, I think multiplayer is the key and hopefully it's interesting and I can careless about single p story mode.

[quote name='morpheus_49017']I didn't state that your opinion is wrong. Nor will I. It's an opinion, and therefore can not be.[/quote] Yeah, that part wasn't towards you, sorry about that. You actually offered one of the more objective opinions.

[quote name='morpheus_49017']I am curious though, what FPS games are you a big fan of?[/quote] Well like many have said, it's hard to find a game with a pretty cool/awesome storyline, so many times I have to settle with just the top FPS to get my shooting fix. Tried Halo and Halo 2 and like many people, just went to multiplayer after a while because the single player got boring. As of late, my favorite shooter has been Far Cry: Instincts Predator because the story keeps me playing for hours and hours, plus it always keeps me on the edge of my seat.

[quote name='seanr1221']I was going to pick up FarCry, mostly for a multiplayer fix, but this seems to be getting a lot of praise and I think I'll hold off for this.[/quote]Even though I just said that I think the game is amazing, the online community is just dead for it. The only games you'll find are kids with crappy custom maps and horrible servers, it's quite sad. You'd be better off with Prey if you are looking for people to play with.

[quote name='Sporadic']It's Up!

1.17 Gb[/quote]
holy god.

now I know why they waited a while to put it up.. they needed more bandwidth or something.

[quote name='rabbitt']Thank you. I'm up for some multiplayer when we all get it downloaded.[/quote]

Hell yeah. I'm already at 4%

wtf is it 1.17GB?

i remeber the developer saying it would be bigger, but he made it sound like it would be like 700MB, instead of the 550 the pc demo is.

bread's done
Back