Official Radiohead Topic - Bonnaroo 2006 SBD

New album coming - THIS SATURDAY!!!!!! :whee::whee::whee::whee::whee:

thekingoflimbs452.jpg

[quote name='Pitchfork']And...they're back. Radiohead have just announced their eighth full-length record, The King of Limbs. Billed as the world's first "Newspaper Album," an extravagantly packaged version of the record will be issued on May 9; however, the music itself will effectively be issued on Saturday, February 19 when digital downloads become available to those who made pre-orders. [/QUOTE]

I cannot wait!

I am really looking forward to this. I have no idea what to expect from these guys at this point. I would be happy with another "In Rainbows" sounding album but they usually try and push themselves in different directions. One of the last songs they released (These Are My Twisted Words) was amazing yet it didn't really break any new ground for them. I honestly don't know where they can go from here but I can't wait to find out.

I saw it on their website this morning and I am super excited. I'm ordering the Newspaper Album, only wish it shipped sooner than May 9th.

Hell yeah! This is the way to announce an album release. No more waiting for months at a time. Can't wait to hear it!:D

OUT NOW!!! :whee::whee::whee::whee::whee:

thekingoflimbs452.jpg

I haven't had a chance to grab it yet but I will when I get home from work today. There are 8 tracks and the album is very short by Radiohead's standards (~37 minutes). Also, not all of the songs are new. Tracklisting:

01 Bloom
02 Morning Mr. Magpie
03 Little By Little
04 Feral
05 Lotus Flower
06 Codex
07 Give Up The Ghost
08 Seperator

One interesting thing to note is that people have started to speculate (already) that this may only be the first 1/2 of the record. The last track called "Seperator" contains the line "If you think this is over, then you’re wrong" and the orders from the site are being marked TKOL1.

More Radiohead would be :drool::drool::drool::drool:

I can't wait to get home and listen!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just downloaded and threw it on my iPod. Will give it a listen in the gym in a few.

Disappointing that it's only 8 tracks, but hopefuly you're right and there are more coming later. And they're free/included in this $9.00 download price.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just downloaded and threw it on my iPod. Will give it a listen in the gym in a few.

Disappointing that it's only 8 tracks, but hopefuly you're right and there are more coming later. And they're free/included in this $9.00 download price.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm hoping as well. Also, why would they release it today (1 day early) and not tomorrow as originally planned? It's not like we've known about the album and have been waiting for months - they announced it on Monday! It makes no sense. I'm hopeful there is something more tomorrow.

Also, this is one of the many reasons I love Radiohead - they do all of this nerdy shit and get people talking and speculating. I mean the whole OK Computer/In Rainbows thing is nuts but still fun nonetheless.

1 of 2? That is a pretty sexy theory. I hope it's true. If not, I still feel good about the $48 I just dropped to get all that pre-order swag. And even if they only ever release 8 songs, I'm still happy. It's like getting a lap dance from my headphones.

It's a solid album, but different. Very subdued and mellow. No rocking songs at all. And a step back more toward the Kid A/Amnesiac style with the guitars buried in the mix and a more electronic sound etc.

Little By Little, Lotus Flower and Give Up The Ghost are probably the ones I like most so far.

Feral is the only one I don't dig as it's mostly instrumental with a few distorted vocals here and there, and that's not my cup of tea.

OK, I fiinally had a chance to listen. I really like it. I think most Radiohead albums take a long time to digest so I'm sure I'll have different opinions down the line. This album definitely confirms that Colin Greenwood is a SICK bass player. He is all over this record and sounds great.

I love what they did with "Morning Mr. Magpie" - the only version of this I've heard was a live acoustic version. The album version is VERY different but definitely the same song.

The only song that isn't grabbing me right away is "Bloom" - it feels .... off... but the drums/drum machine are really interesting so I'm sure it will grow on me. dmaul - Feral sounds really cool through headphones, IMO.

All in all I'm quite happy with this release although I really hope the theories are true regarding more songs/second half of the album. In Rainbows came with an EP after the digital download so maybe we have something like that to look forward to.

More (weak, IMO) theories as to why there may be more music coming:

- The band has been recording off and on for 3+ years and 8 songs isn't that much
- They are going to tour and 8 songs really isn't a lot to incorporate
- A Japanese site listed the album as "Some songs from The King of Limbs will be available" (which could have been a mistranslation but still)

[quote name='bmachine']Ugh. I can't seem to download my copy.

The site keeps telling me that my email address doesn't exist. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Did they charge you? That would suck.

The more I listen the more I love this album - I just wish there was more. I also want to find a place for "These Are My Twisted Words" and "Harry Patch" on there but I don't think it will work. I hate that those two songs are both singles or one track albums - especially TAMTW which is great.

I've given it a few listens now. It's a good album, but will end up in the bottom half of my Radiohead album rankings.

It really doesn't feel much like a Radiohead album since so many songs are just Thome singing over electronic beats etc. Needs more guitar in the mix etc. IMO.

Still a good listen with great vocal work. But feels more like a Yorke solo album than a Radiohead album to me.

[quote name='confoosious']Hmmm the 2 record theory (while probably not true) would make me feel better about dropping 48 on the vinyl.[/QUOTE]

You can fit 37 minutes on one vinyl. There would be absolutely no reason for 2 of them unless there was more music coming. Have faith!

Oh I see what you're saying. But it's listed as two 10 inch LPs. I don't know how much you can fit on one side of a 10". It's gotta be more than 9 minutes.

Maybe it'll be like the In Rainbows bonus disc and it's just b sides. (Which is fine by me.)

[quote name='pete5883']What the hell is a newspaper album?[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone but the band knows at this point.

I'm enjoying the new album, it's used up the majority of my listening time since Friday. I've purposely stayed away from reviews (outside of the comments in this thread, which haven't really spoiled anything). My first impression was a strong Eraser vibe, but now I'm starting to hear it on its own. I've stayed away from song titles, I've just been listening to the album in full again and again. I'll start looking down to song titles soon enough.

I think like every Radiohead album, it's a grower. They layer so much in to each song, with so many goofy tricks, that more is bound to reveal itself on repeated listening. Radiohead making things dense and sophisticated is too smart by half and pretentious to some listeners. While I can see that point of view, to me the way they pack it all in there is fun and rewarding.

The only trolling comment I'll give credence to is Thom's lyrics, which can be a little too much sometimes. I mean, I'm not even one verse into the lead song on the album and he's already going on about "universal sigh." Dude. Later on there's a pillar of a soul, I believe (?). The falsetto has never bothered me, but sometimes the lyrics cause me to cringe. I get over it, though.

What's everyone else think? I'll start searching for reviews soon enough, gonna give it a few more days to grow on me.

The King of Limbs is really great, especially when you don't compare it to the previous records. It certainly takes a few listens for it all to sink in but when it does you can really appreciate it for what it is.

I have the newspaper album edition ordered and I will pick up the CD/Vinyl on March 29th as well.

I need only Pablo Honey, The Bends, Amnesiac, and the In Rainbows Boxset (I already have the regular vinyl) and I will complete the collection on vinyl.

[quote name='DT778']You're going to pick up a second set of CD/Vinyls?[/QUOTE]

I am a really bad sucker, especially when I can afford it. They are one of the few bands I would support like this.

I has gone from good to great in the span of the weekend... Just like most Radiohead albums. I can't stop listening to it! I can't wait to hear these songs live (or see how they are going to perform them).

[quote name='javeryh']I has gone from good to great in the span of the weekend... Just like most Radiohead albums. I can't stop listening to it! I can't wait to hear these songs live (or see how they are going to perform them).[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I am hoping to go to multiple shows when they tour.

Also I am looking forward to the B-Sides. The songs that are left on the table have the potential to be as great as the B-Sides to In Rainbows.

I'm still liking a lot, but not loving it. Just too mellow and too lacking guitar etc. for me to really love it.

But, as a frame of reference, I'm a huge fan of The Bends and Ok Computer and much more casually into their later albums. So that's par for the course for me.

That said, I still like most of their Kid A and beyond albums better than this one. Just too mellow and atmospheric, and again not enough of the guitar in the mix.

[quote name='flowery']I am a really bad sucker, especially when I can afford it. They are one of the few bands I would support like this.[/QUOTE]That's cool. I thought about getting the newspaper album even though I don't have a record player but instead I told myself I'd use that money for their tour instead.

[quote name='javeryh']Did they charge you? That would suck.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they charged me last Monday when I pre-ordered the album.

I sent emails to w.a.s.t.e. and Sandbag and someone finally wrote back to me yesterday. They said that my account is now "fully activated" and that I should be able to login and download the album. Kind of a stupid system.

Better late than never...

So The King of Limbs has now been remixed and covered HERE. I especially like "Little Gangsta" (mix of Little By Little and American Gangsta (Jay-Z).

OK, I officially love this album. Here's my ranking so far (which will change in about an hour):

Lotus Flower
Little By Little
Separator
Bloom
Codex
Morning Mr. Magpie
Give Up The Ghost
Feral

P.S. There are tons of guitars on this album!

Yeah, Feral's at the bottom for me, too. It's not that I don't like the "sound" of it, I just don't know what the song is doing. It's like they thought of an interesting start for a tune but didn't have much more than that.

I like Give up the Ghost just because, in Thom's mumbling/repeating "in [to?] your arms" in the beginning, I hear him saying "Giddy up." And I like that, I prefer it, it sounds better to my ear if it's a giddyap cowboy song. They need more cowboy songs.

Pitchfork gave the album a 7.9. I'm kind of surprised - they usually score Radiohead 9.0 or higher (and everyone else sucks). I don't care about the score but I'm not sure I agree with the reviewer - he seems to think that the record isn't breaking any new ground. As far as I can tell, this couldn't sound any more different to me than their last album.

If I was reviewing on a scale of 1-10 I'd probably rate this as a 9.0 or 9.1. It's definitely the best album I've heard in a while but definitely not Radiohead's best. I do think it is innovative though - on past albums you knew they used computers to mix and loop things but The King of Limbs sounds like it was painstakingly put together note by note on the computer (with layers of guitars, piano, bass and vocals on top) - there is so much going on in every song. I don't know - I really like it.

I'd probably give it right around an 8. For all the reasons outlined in my earlier posts.

It's good, but I'm more into straight up rock, so all the layers of sound etc. don't intrigue me as much as some, and I think they did that type of thing much better and more interestingly on Kid A and Amnesiac.

I've mostly shelved it and just listen to a song or two before falling asleep. My office listening is back to Arcade Fire who I just got into recently and have been listening to non-stop for a month or so.

If we're putting a number to it, I'd agree that an 8 out of 10 is fair.

Given that my memory is relatively short, my impulse is to compare it with their last album, and for me In Rainbows is a little more raw -- emotionally unrefined, I mean -- and a little more alive because of it. Rainbows was contemplative in the rockin' way, whereas King is doing its thinking in a more clinical fashion.

It's hard to comment on the amount of production in King just because ever since OKC they tend to layer it thick or go sparse. I'd agree with javery in that the loops and effects in King feel more deliberate. In Rainbows they kind of swirled around you in an enigmatic, unsettling, yet inviting way, but in King I feel myself just hearing where everything starts and stops. It's not picking me up the way Rainbows did.

That's my hand-wavey review. It's yours to use, Pitchfork, just know that I charge by the word.

Dammit. I just realized there's a vinyl only on amazon for $13,

I already have 2 newspaper albums ordered. Maybe have to get a regular vinyl as my "playing" vinyl.

so what's the latest on the "second part" of the album?

Looks like we are getting more new music from Radiohead. Supercollider/The Butcher is coming out on April 16. If you notice the artwork it is very similar to "These Are My Twisted Words" and it looks like a bunch of tree branches. I'm hoping this is the first in a long series of releases which all comprise "The King of Limbs" but I guess only time will tell. They supposedly have a ton of stuff recorded from the last couple of years...

supercollider.jpg

It sounds as though that will only be a very limited release on Record Store Day in the UK only. Of course it will be ripped online soon after though.

I picked up the vinyl release yesterday and got a nice art print with it. I want a copy of the Universal Sigh newspaper as well. I still can't wait for the newspaper album release in May as well.

PICT6109.JPG

yeah - I saw that this morning. I'm actually listening to TKOL right now - I absolutely love it. I'll probably create a playlist with all of TKOL, Twisted Words, Supercollider and The Butcher when it comes out. Sequencing it will be the hard part.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I haven't listened to it in a while. It just never grabbed me.[/QUOTE]

I get that. It is a difficult listen and it's not exactly driving or working out music. I listen at my desk or at night with the headphones on. It's definitely not one of their best but for me that means it's still better than most music out there!

Songs are out. They sound pretty good after one listen. I just sequenced a playlist for The King Of Limbs (Deluxe):

Bloom
Mr. Magpie
Little By Little
Feral
Lotus Flower
These Are My Twisted Words
Codex
Give Up The Ghost
Separator
The Butcher
Supercollider

I'll see how this flows for a couple of days... 11 songs feels like a very complete album.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back