Official Rock Band Thread (It's out, bitches)

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The bundled game was shrink-wrapped and the UPC is intact like the game-only retail release, I imagine.[/quote]

Yeah, the pack-in is exactly the same as retail, UPC and all. Even has the "Requires guitar controller..etc etc" one the front.

On the plus side, I finally got my Strat back today. It plays alot nicer, but it frets seem more 'clicky' than the one I send in.

[quote name='sp00ge']Yeah, the pack-in is exactly the same as retail, UPC and all. Even has the "Requires guitar controller..etc etc" one the front.

On the plus side, I finally got my Strat back today. It plays alot nicer, but it frets seem more 'clicky' than the one I send in.[/QUOTE]

I must have gotten a newer one in my box. I haven't had a problem with mine, and I noticed the other day that when I had the volume on lower on the TV (normally I rock out, of course), I could hear clicking.

[quote name='sp00ge']Yeah, the pack-in is exactly the same as retail, UPC and all. Even has the "Requires guitar controller..etc etc" one the front.

On the plus side, I finally got my Strat back today. It plays alot nicer, but it frets seem more 'clicky' than the one I send in.[/quote]

When I got my replacement, I thought the same thing. "more clicky", and whammy bar harder to push down

Got my replacement too (the star power on my original was screwed up), and the damned frets are as loud as typing on a shitty keyboard. I managed to fix the star power activation, so I think I'll actually send the "replacement" back, lol. Also, the new strum bar can be moved about a centimeter up or down and not be registered, so screw that (makes it hard to pick fast)

[quote name='anomynous']I don't have the game yet, but I have a question. In quick play, where/how is the DLC listed?[/quote]

As if it were on-disc. Same with bonus songs. Nothing is set off to the side.

[quote name='Charron']As if it were on-disc. Same with bonus songs. Nothing is set off to the side.[/QUOTE]

Also, you can set songs in order by band name, difficulty, decade, genre, etc.

It's an extreme nice feature.

I've had the game for 5 days, and the downstrum is definitely already going. On the menu I will strum up 5 times, and the cursor will go up 5 times. I downstrum 5 times, and the cursor goes down 2 or 3. Oh well, so much for a fixed 2nd shipment.

Bumping this up for those that didn't know, the Rock Band community site is up now. You can now link up your scores to the site for everybody to see and do all that other good stuff now.

[quote name='snakelda']who here plays drums on expert?[/quote]

I've beaten all but 4 or 5 songs on expert including whatever DLC I have.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']I just starting in on the hard drums after beating it on medium. Those off-beat kicks are killing me.[/quote]

I can't even do medium yet (I just started playing though). I'll never get good though since the only time I can play video games is during the week at night and the drums make too much noise since the kids are sleeping. *sigh*

[quote name='shieryda']Sorry if it's already been answered, but can you play the World Tour over co-op over Live?[/quote]

Nope.

[quote name='shieryda']Sorry if it's already been answered, but can you play the World Tour over co-op over Live?[/quote]No. World Tour is only available for local play.

[quote name='seanr1221']I agree. I wouldn't even mind if it was friends-only.[/quote]

The whole reason I want this game is to play with my nephew, who just got it last week. I suppose the single-player will be fun, but I'd rather have all options available when I decide to buy the bundle.

[quote name='shieryda']They had better patch that shit.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it does suck. No one I know locally wants anything to do with this game. So there's almost no way I'll ever get to do the World Tour mode as of right now.

The vocals on Number of the Beast (out today) aren't that great, but the rest of it sounds good. Worth it for fans, otherwise avoid.

Grabbed that one and the STP song.

*edit* and I have a top 15 score on vocals for the latter, but it isn't showing up yet...and by the time it does it'll probably be moved down Oh well.

[quote name='KaneRobot']The vocals on Number of the Beast (out today) aren't that great, but the rest of it sounds good. Worth it for fans, otherwise avoid.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't the fans be the only ones who notice the vocals aren't that great?

[quote name='mykevermin']Thought so. That sucks ass.[/QUOTE]

There was a quote in some magazine (maybe Game Informer?) saying something along the lines of, "Bass isn't involved enough to get it's own career."

[quote name='seanr1221']No, but you can do Bass in quickplay.[/quote]

I'm am less tempted to buy this game the more I hear about it.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm am less tempted to buy this game the more I hear about it.[/quote]

All games have flaws or things you might wish would have been included. Make no mistake, though, Rock Band is spectacular. It's tough for me to even think about playing through Guitar Hero 3 now that I know I have the vocal, guitar and drum tracks for all of the Rock Band songs.

I love it on single player, but if you can manage to get 2-4 people in a room to play this, it's morphs into something even better. Great game.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']All games have flaws or things you might wish would have been included. Make no mistake, though, Rock Band is spectacular. It's tough for me to even think about playing through Guitar Hero 3 now that I know I have the vocal, guitar and drum tracks for all of the Rock Band songs.

I love it on single player, but if you can manage to get 2-4 people in a room to play this, it's morphs into something even better. Great game.[/quote]

I know. I'll probably get it down the road, I'm just frustrated that it's not living up to my hype. You'd think that online co-op would be included in every game that comes out these days. That's my biggest disappointment. I'm sure the single-player is totally awesome, but it sucks that you have to coordinate with friends and make all these plans in order to get people together just to play the WBT. I just hope that there is a higher original artist/cover band ratio than that of the GH games, as far as dlc goes.

this game is awesome! but like otehrs have said, Flaws exist, and tehre is room for improvement. I remember when they origincally talked about this game, they made mention that you could be the drummer in ohio and your guitar player could be in california with the singer being from south carolina, I don't see any sort of option to do something like this on xbox live.

I've only been doing the solo tour because I'm pretty confused about how to do the other world tour stuff. I played the world tour once with some friends, but most of them suck at guitar hero, but they still had fun (I was the only one who could successfully do the drums)

one of my biggest complaints is about the cheapass (not to insult the forum) bass drum pedal. I've been drumming for 12 years and I've learned how to use the rebound of the bass drum head (especially for those double and triple hits at the end of hard mode, and all throughout expert) I break streaks all the time because I miss them and it pisses me off! I've seen a few mods that people made to use an actual bass drum pedal from a drum set and a drum pad (GREAT idea... I just don't want to mod and most likely screw up my bass drum pedal)

I'm also having some issues with the red drum not capturing fast enough (if I try to do a 16th note phrase it rarely picks it all up) and I'm also having an issue with the guitar (tilt sensor doesn't work, which is ironic, because my guitar hero 3 guitar tilt sensor doesn't work either!!!)

the game is playable, but I'm contacting support today about getting replacements. as far as my GH3 guitar goes, I got it for free from yourfree360games.com so I have no receipt, not sure what to do about that.

there are flaws in this game, but I think the drums alone make this game worth it. and if you have a few "rock band" parties its a hell of a lot of fun (kicks the crap out of karoke)

You can play in a band with people online, you just can't do the world tour mode. It's a quickplay. So, they're right, you can have a drummer in Ohio and a guitarist in California, you just won't have a consistent online career.

[quote name='Drnick']I'm also having some issues with the red drum not capturing fast enough (if I try to do a 16th note phrase it rarely picks it all up)[/quote]I had that problem with my replacement drums and after reading around, I found someone who said they're much too sensitive to vibration and offered up a quick fix. All I did was take a long strip of tape (I used nylon filament tape, which is reinforced with nylon threads, but whatever strong tape you might have is best) and just used it to make one straight ring around the center of the drum. For me, that worked almost perfectly. I went from the kit not registering rolls at all to hitting them perfectly (when my skill permitted, of course ;)). Of course, a replacement is a much more sensible option, but if even the new kits are having this problem with sensitivity, then it doesn't seem likely to be ironed out soon.

I remember seeing a video on youtube where a guy did an easy mod that allowed him to use his own bass pedal with the game without messing up any of the equipment or voiding the warranty. It should be easy enough to find if you're interested.

[quote name='TFN']January is going to be an awesome month for DLC!

...[/quote]

Indeed. I don't even have the game yet, but the dlc is flippin' sweet so far.

[quote name='shieryda']This is good news for me, since I already own 2 guitar controllers. Now I'll get the game used, and just buy the drums.[/quote]

Why wait? Buy it now and sell off the guitar. I just sold my guitar for $50 (they were going for even more before the holidays). So, I paid $110 shipped from Amazon for the drums, mic and game. If you don't need the mic you can sell it for ~$15 and then you end up with the game and drums for $95.

On another note I had a party Friday and had a bunch of coworkers over to play Rock Band. We had a blast. One of the guys that was a non gamer liked it so much he went out and bought a 360 just to play this game.

I just got Rock Band for PS2 (I already had GH guitars, so I got game only from Amazon for $26). However, I can't seem to hit any "long" streams of repeated notes, e.g. 8 green notes in a row. I don't have this problem in GH (I mostly play on Hard, with some Expert for the first few tiers).

Is Rock Band that much more finicky with note timing? Or buggy? I assumed it couldn't be visual lag, though I am playing on an LCD HDTV, because GH doesn't have any lag (both games in progressive scan mode). Anyone else experience this problem?

My wife is experiencing the same problem (playing bass on Hard), and she got so frustrated the other day that she quit right in the middle of When We Were Young :(

bread's done
Back