Official San Diego Area CAG List

On my way home I stopped by the Toys R Us on Morena and they had 2 Dualshock 3 controllers that someone had tried to steal for $34.90. Needless to say I picked one up. I think some of the paperwork might of been missing, but otherwise the only problem was the clamshell was cut open on the back.

[quote name='zephie']Did you check out the life-size Gundam in Odaiba?[/QUOTE]

My friends and I went to Odaiba but found out it the exhibit was over. It put a damper on the day. For some reason, Odaiba mall had a Michael Jackson convention. The mall is a great place but the area seems like a couples only though. We noticed there were a lot of people on a date.

I've got nothing to say but it's OK.

Anyone been to any of the local Rock Band nights around town? Two Irish pubs have it, but I know of nothing else.

Hey guys, I haven't checked the local board in a while. What is everyone playing? I'm seriously considering Demon's Souls on the PS3...although I don't really have enough time to get into a hardcore RPG/Adventure game. I rented Toy Story Mania for the family and I was disappointed...the game is awesome at California Adventure, but not at home.

My 360 recently got the RROD. It's my second one. Are the dead 360's worth anything to anyone? I'm past my warranty period and I'm not paying Micro$oft 100 bucks to fix it. Do you guys know any place or person who will give me some $$ for it? I think I'm going to replace it with an Elite...either this weekend with the $50 rebate...or I will wait for the Modern Warfare 2 bundle.

I'm just playing SFIV and Socom as of late. I also got a couple racing games to tide me over until Gran Turismo, Sega Rally Revo and NFS: Shift. Also waiting for the Greatest Hits edition of Midnight Club. Other than those, I'm waiting for MW2 which methinks is going to consume everyone this season.

Checked the Chula Vista game crazy on H and Otay. Nothing but crap there and their liquidation doesn't start until Monday. Looks like they just send all the good stuff back to corporate or wherever Gamecrazy hasn't shutdown. R.I.P. Gamecrazy, we had good times... well mostly bad times... and fat chick, you will not be missed.

[quote name='option.iv']R.I.P. Gamecrazy, we had good times... well mostly bad times... and fat chick, you will not be missed.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I remember that discussion a while ago. Wasn't fortunate enough to experience that store firsthand though. Alas, it is now too late. Is it just that GC and the one in El Cajon that's closing?

Edit: Just learned the one in Genesee is closing. That kinda stings.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I've heard about Game Crazy closing, but I've never actually been to one. What I'm really bummed about is Circuit City being gone. During those last few months, they had great deals on new games. I hate having to go to EB and paying $60 for a game. I try to avoid that whenever possible.

How is SF4? I'm a big fan of the originals (favorite is Alpha 3), but I haven't really been that impressed when I've had the chance to play it in stores, etc. I've really gotten into BlazBlue. I mean, I haven't played it as much as I would like to, but it is awesome. If you're looking for a good fighter, definitely try it out.

[quote name='DQT']Lol, I remember that discussion a while ago. Wasn't fortunate enough to experience that store firsthand though. Alas, it is now too late. Is it just that GC and the one in El Cajon that's closing?

Edit: Just learned the one in Genesee is closing. That kinda stings.[/QUOTE]
The employees said all but one Gamecrazy store in SoCal is closing. I have no idea if that is truth or an exaggeration.

[quote name='bthamilton']You know, I've heard about Game Crazy closing, but I've never actually been to one. What I'm really bummed about is Circuit City being gone. During those last few months, they had great deals on new games. I hate having to go to EB and paying $60 for a game. I try to avoid that whenever possible.

How is SF4? I'm a big fan of the originals (favorite is Alpha 3), but I haven't really been that impressed when I've had the chance to play it in stores, etc. I've really gotten into BlazBlue. I mean, I haven't played it as much as I would like to, but it is awesome. If you're looking for a good fighter, definitely try it out.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, good ol' CC, some of the best deals were had there. Now I turn to Amazon, rarely do I even go B&M anymore. Deals can be great, but nothing really comes close to those $8.xx clearance games at CC.

SFIV, the graphics aren't mind blowing, but it's nice to see a SF in 3d. Overall, it's easier to pick up than other fighting games, because of how lenient move inputs are. It seems to be the most popular fighter in the fighting game community atm as well. It just has a wide fan base, and online play continues to last. This game and Socom are the only games I truly play constantly since purchase many months ago. I am a bit biased though and favor fighting games heavily.

Also, Super SFIV is coming out around April. It's basically the same game except with more characters (amount unknown atm), some new system aspects, and more super/ultra moves.

[quote name='option.iv']The employees said all but one Gamecrazy store in SoCal is closing. I have no idea if that is truth or an exaggeration.

Yeah, good ol' CC, some of the best deals were had there. Now I turn to Amazon, rarely do I even go B&M anymore. Deals can be great, but nothing really comes close to those $8.xx clearance games at CC.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll probably have to go to find out for myself. I really did enjoy those CC clearances as well.

Looks like the only GC in San Diego staying open is Murphy Canyon Road. It was always the most profitable and neatest store in the San Diego district and constantly ranked in the top 20 stores (based on profit) in the entire company. It was the first store I worked at and my favorite. A lot of people I know are going to be unemployed after this.

LOL just read the post about fat chick. That was an old story from a few years back right? I think her name was Ana and I had the pleasure of working with her a few times. What a bitch.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']Looks like the only GC in San Diego staying open is Murphy Canyon Road. It was always the most profitable and neatest store in the San Diego district and constantly ranked in the top 20 stores (based on profit) in the entire company. It was the first store I worked at and my favorite. A lot of people I know are going to be unemployed after this.

LOL just read the post about fat chick. That was an old story from a few years back right? I think her name was Ana and I had the pleasure of working with her a few times. What a bitch.[/QUOTE]

That sucks i like that store. I uses to work there back in the days too but the people were pretty cool there too.

[quote name='dan13l858']That sucks i like that store. I uses to work there back in the days too but the people were pretty cool there too.[/QUOTE]

When did you work there? Was your manager Matt Jackson?

[quote name='xrickyb86x']When did you work there? Was your manager Matt Jackson?[/QUOTE]

Oh man, this was back in 2003 so it was a long time ago.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']LOL just read the post about fat chick. That was an old story from a few years back right? I think her name was Ana and I had the pleasure of working with her a few times. What a bitch.[/QUOTE]Man, I remember she was trying to hide a game that was on hold for me. I think it was Tales of Destiny (PS1), and she was giving me BS excuses about how she couldn't find it, then her co-worker was like "it's here under the register."

I think she was the same employee that would bring her old consoles in to play in-store while she worked. Of course, only she could play it. I got annoyed just looking at her.

[quote name='dan13l858']Oh man, this was back in 2003 so it was a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

I was 2005 - 2007. I'm pretty sure Matt was still the manager at the store while you were there. Maybe not. Anyway, he was super cool and I'm glad he still has a job. He runs his store very well and treats his employees awesome.

lol. When I got transferred to Ana's (fat chick) store it was in fucking ruins. I couldn't believe anyone would buy anything from there. We came in and just did a makeover on that store from the ground up. Meaning she has to actually work and help out. After about 2 weeks she peaced out of there and transferred stores saying she wasn't being treated well by the new manager. She was totally right. I mean, he would tell her to do work when she was in the middle of texting her friends or playing DS. The manager was a total dick! hahahahaha

[quote name='xrickyb86x']I was 2005 - 2007. I'm pretty sure Matt was still the manager at the store while you were there. Maybe not. Anyway, he was super cool and I'm glad he still has a job. He runs his store very well and treats his employees awesome.

lol. When I got transferred to Ana's (fat chick) store it was in fucking ruins. I couldn't believe anyone would buy anything from there. We came in and just did a makeover on that store from the ground up. Meaning she has to actually work and help out. After about 2 weeks she peaced out of there and transferred stores saying she wasn't being treated well by the new manager. She was totally right. I mean, he would tell her to do work when she was in the middle of texting her friends or playing DS. The manager was a total dick! hahahahaha[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he wasn't the manager at the time. Wow, it seems like you have great stories about this fat chick. lol I guess i missed her reign of terror during that time.

Game Crazy memory, when i worked there, i manage to get the entire SquareSoft and Enix Super Nintendo lineup w/ boxes and instructions for a copy of FFX-2 and 10 dollars. Wow, those were the good times.

I once got a non GH brand newish Final Fantasy Vii for 4 bucks from a kid who wanted to trade it in for credit. We offered like 3.50 (lol). I told him I would give him 4 bucks cash and he was fine with it. That was like my 4th copy of the game at that time. I ended up dumping the extras copies on Ebay for a nice profit. Doing shit like that was so normal that it wasn't even considered sketchy by most employees. But yeah, if you got caught you were fired.

Nice to see the SD board active again, too bad it took the death of GameCrazy to do it.

[quote name='bthamilton']Hey guys, I haven't checked the local board in a while. What is everyone playing?[/QUOTE]

I've recently been clearing out my backlog after finishing Mana Khemia 2 (Awesome game btw). Right now, I'm playing Ar Tonelico 2 and doing the Cloche route after having done the Luca route a while back.

I'll probably do a quick runthrough of Uncharted 1 before the sequel hits.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']I once got a non GH brand newish Final Fantasy Vii for 4 bucks from a kid who wanted to trade it in for credit. We offered like 3.50 (lol). I told him I would give him 4 bucks cash and he was fine with it. That was like my 4th copy of the game at that time. I ended up dumping the extras copies on Ebay for a nice profit. Doing shit like that was so normal that it wasn't even considered sketchy by most employees. But yeah, if you got caught you were fired.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I never did sell anything that I came up on at GC. I remember we had final fantasy 7 for sale for 7.99. Crazy huh

I am thinking about putting together a San Diego area SF or MvC2 tourney for people 21+

Any interest in something like this? I have a venue where we could play on a big screen using the HD projector. I have tried it out and it is pretty sweet. If there is a lot of interest we can do multiple nights, or just one, or make it bi-monthly, etc, etc.

Anyway, thoughts?

Hey guys. I sent this letter to the Consumerist but I don't think it will get posted on the front page. Anyway, here is my story with Gamestop and why I will never shop with them ever again.

Edit: for you Chula Vistians, this happened at the 4th and C store by the DMV.

"I'll try and make this quick. I have been a Gamestop customer since the first one opened up in my city when I was 15. I'm 23 now and the majority of my games have been purchased at Gamestop. So I have a good 8 years of shopping with them under my belt. I buy tons of games a year (both new and used) and trade in frequently when they have promotions going on. I always preffered to shop there over a big box store like Best Buy or Wal Mart. Recently, I was enticed to reserve a copy of Borderlands for the Xbox 360. I went in, traded in some of my games and reserved my copy. Now, I did reserve the game the day before it came out which I know a lot of stores wont even do and sometimes the POS wont even let employees reserve games that close to launch. I asked the employee if they were still taking reserves and she politely said yes and my trades would take advantage of a promo they have for reserved games. I asked her if they had enough copies (I assumed the game was in stock since it was launching at midnight). She told me they had plenty and I could pick it up at midnight if I wanted to. I politely refused and told her I had to sleep and get up early for work but I would be there first thing after work to pick up my game. She jokingly said something along the lines of "haha oh that sucks." and I laughed. I walked out with my copy of Borderlands fully paid off and I even threw another 5 bucks down on a reservation of Modern Warfare 2.

The next day I stop by around 5pm. Right after work. Just like I said I would. The familiar face that helped me the day before was not there and another women helped me out. I told her I had Borderlands for Xbox 360 reserved. In almost these exact words she says "Like I told the guy before you, we didn't get enough copies in to fullfil reservations so come back in an hour. Our district manager is bringing us more copies." This is where I call bullshit because I know what Gamestop tells their employees whenever a new game launches. How do I know this? As a former Gamestop employee for a year, I know the kind of shit they shove down your throat to get you to sell. Sure everyone knows they force you to sell reservations, Game Informer subscriptions, and warranties but one thing that is never talked about is GAMESTOP FORCES YOU TO SELL RESERVED COPIES OF GAMES. The line "sell new releases to all walk ins whether you have enough for reservations or not." is very familiar to me. When a new games is released with tons of hype like Borderlands the DM tells you they will be upset if any copies of the game are on the shelf when you close the store so SELL, SELL, SELL to anyone who walks in.

I don't get mad at the employee because I know it's not her fault. I walked out a little disapointed and go to the grocery store. About 45 minutes later I call and tell another employee my situation. He assures me that the DM will not be delivering anymore copies to the store because she does not have the time to. At this point I was pissed but I kept my cool. I told him "Well I better be compensated for my wasted time because this is inconvienient." He tells me to hold on and then a girl gets on the line. She says "We will have your game at 7pm for sure so stop by and it will be here." So I head home, make some food, watch highlights of a few hockey games, then I head back over to Gamestop. I didn't recognize any of the employees but I told them what had happened and the guy knew right away. He pulls out a copy of Borderlands and tells me he's going to give me a 10% discount. I say thanks and that I was also going to cancel my MW2 reservation in the process. He puts the copy of Borderlands on the counter and it's opened. It's a display copy. At this point I was ready to scream at the top of my lungs because I was so frustrated but I kept my cool because I knew it was not this employees fault and it wasn't even the managers fault. It's Gamestop's fault. It's their shitty policies and forced sales that drive customers insane.

You might be thinking why I even bothered reserving the game if I knew of their shitty policies on reserved games and to be honest, I don't know why i did. It's just something I had always done. I considered myself a loyal customer even after working for such an awful company. No more. I will never shop at Gamestop again. You would think a company that has been reserving games since the day their business launched would know how to make it work to the customers advantage. Instead they slowly drive customers away. I've seen it from both ends as a customer and as an employee. They lost an 8 year customer who spends hundreds of dollars a year at their store and I hope they lose more. Gamestop selling reserved games has probably been discussed on your site before but I thought I would share my story. Sorry for any typos as I am a little rushed to get back to work. Thanks!"

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone had success in PM Target's Fallout 3 goty $40 price anywhere else? If I can get a printout, I'm gonna try it tomorrow at the BB and Walmart on N Broadway in Chula

edit: Well I was able to PM at the BB with a printout but Walmart said no because they wanted an actual ad.
also I got the 360 version..I think there was 4 left.

That's crappy man. I've been burned by that place a couple of time, but nothing as bad as that. My major problem with GS is that they ALWAYS charge MSRP. I never pay or want to pay $59.99 for a game. The last game I paid that much for was Beatles Rock Band...and I only did that because it was for my wife and I couldn't afford not to get one on the release date. People should totally band together and boycott that place until they reduce their prices. Seriously, there is no point in going there if you know every moderately new game is going to be $59.99. I'd take Target, Amazon, Fry's, Best Buy any day over that place.

I haven't bought anything at Gamestop in probably five years. The gutting and generally bad experiences I have had with their employees make it a place I just won't go. With Amazon and tons of sales at local brick and mortar stores like BB, TRU and Target, there really is no reason to go to GS for any reason.

Yeah. Unless they don't have what I'm specifically looking for, I'd take big box stores over Gamestop any day. Besides, they're usually the ones with the deals if you're looking to buy near release date.

Good thing you kept your cool. Having experience on the other side of the counter helps, huh? There's a reason why I am nice to waiters restaurants. ;)

Sucks you had to go through that xrickyb86x, I hate that so many people let them get away with that crap. I wouldn't mind ditching them for good, but unfortunately for me the bigger guys don't carry a lot of the titles I'm into.

ecmazza, I'd be down for SF, count me in for once or twice a month.

Anyone have a 360 Hard Drive Migration Kit they can loan or sell me for cheap? PM please, would really appreciate it!

Thanks guys. I buy a lot from Amazon. Especially recently because their deals have been on point. Usually I would go to Gamestop for used games. Especially on a game that I'm not sure I would like. That 7 day return policy on used games is awesome and I try and ride that as long as possible like a true CAG. lol. I wouldn't set foot on their stores if it weren't for that.

Seriously though, DON'T RESERVE GAMES AT GAMESTOP. What I said above about GS forcing employees to sell reserved copies of games is completely true. I verfied with a friend of mine who is still with the company that it is still a policy enforced by their district manager. It's real shitty too because the employees know it's bullshit but they just want to keep their job. That's why I never blamed the people who were helping me out when this all happened.

[quote name='espy605']ecmazza, I'd be down for SF, count me in for once or twice a month.

Anyone have a 360 Hard Drive Migration Kit they can loan or sell me for cheap? PM please, would really appreciate it![/QUOTE]

I just got a new 360 too because my second one got the RROD. I was just going to transfer my saves via a $30 memory card. The whole transfer kit sounded like a real pain. I have yet to bring myself to spending $30 on a memory card that I am going to use once...

I just ordered mine from Amazon with FSS which shipped yesterday... So it'll be a couple days. Not really hyped for it that much.

Too bad I'm addicted to Demon's Souls.

Been playing Tekken 6 for awhile and it is sorta hard to get into again I had tekken tag and have the one on the PS3 which was tekken 5 online. After playing Street Fighter 4 since it came out I just feel nub against the bots even though I have won 2 online matches so far haven't lost any.

I picked up Tekken 6 during Best Buy's b2g1 sale, but I don't know if I would even play it. I did, however, bust out my Comic Con SF4 stick for the first time yesterday.

I am getting killed by this wave of great games that have come out over the last month. The Buy 2 Get 1 Free sales have not been helping. I was just starting to get into Demon's Souls when I picked up Borderlands, Uncharted and Muramasa. I haven't put Borderlands down since...and now Dragon Age and Modern Warfare 2 are coming out! Can't publishers spread these games throughout the year or is the holiday push really that important?

[quote name='bthamilton']I am getting killed by this wave of great games that have come out over the last month. The Buy 2 Get 1 Free sales have not been helping. I was just starting to get into Demon's Souls when I picked up Borderlands, Uncharted and Muramasa. I haven't put Borderlands down since...and now Dragon Age and Modern Warfare 2 are coming out! Can't publishers spread these games throughout the year or is the holiday push really that important?[/QUOTE]Can't agree more with you. I heard that Uncharted 2 was rushed a month so they could beat MW2's release.

So are all of the south-of-8 Gamecrazy stores gone now? They still show up on the website, but I thought I'd ask here before calling each one. I'd love to get in on some of those sale prices (Punch Out!! for $24.99, etc.).

bread's done
Back