Official San Francisco Bay Area CAG List

LeafPanda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Since the Southern CA Thread is up, I figured it might be a good idea to post a thread for the locals of the Bay Area. Maybe we can do some face-to-face trades, make posts of inventory in various local stores, post any local sales, etc.

Send me a PM and I will put your name on the list below (PM's are easier for me to keep track of everyone). I will send you a confirmation when I put your name on the list.:

Those that currently reside in the bay area
Xevious- Berkeley, CA
Freshwillis - Oakland, CA
trytej- Novato, CA
Murcielago77 - Novato, CA
62t - Hayward
dino3333- San Leandro
Oktoberfest- South San Jose
Over easy- Davis, CA
Kayday - Oakland
judyjudyjudy - San Jose
vietgurl- Berkeley
PaP3rKuT -Oakland
SOSTrooper - Berkeley
XCutioner93 - Daly City
vdawg5 -San Francisco (Frequents Berkeley)
simgizshad - San Jose
soulyogurt- San Rafael (Works in Vallejo)
humidore- San Mateo
Viperx116 - San Francisco
invinceable104 - San Francisco, CA
HERETOSTAY - Hayward
CouRageouS - Alameda
Orga- San Jose
kristianator- Santa Rosa
BrerDan - San Jose
rudeboie - San Jose
dieless - Castro Valley
woolsey11 - Santa Rosa
BaZoOKajOe - San Jose
ajaxmojo - Campbell (works in Sunnyvale)
dude2003 - Oakland
Andrigaar- San Francisco/Martinez
oxidative- Napa (works in Vallejo)
praystation - Daly City
whiteboy - San Bruno
Larson - San Jose
j-fever - Sunnyvale
Missingdata- San Francisco (goes to school in San Jose)
beguile - Davis (Visits San Francisco during the weekends)
Rusty Ghia - Pleasanton
magic toilet- Cupertino
asianxcore- Novato
Phoenix_Rogue - Union City
masterchief066 - Union City
weedofwisdom - Richmond (works in Berkeley)
KiySeph - San Jose (works in Santa Clara)
Mospeada_21 - San Jose/Santa Clara
CounterSeal - San Francisco
spider24 - Novato, CA
expane - Daly City, CA
stainremover - Berkeley/Cal
martin8me - South San Francisco
kiyoshi67 - Concord
chunga - El Cerrito
Sn0brawler - Pleasanton
toolverine - Fremont
rendil - Morgan Hill
tipp007 - Pacifica
jazzyjas7 - Mountain View (works in San Mateo)
GD-Man - San Jose (goes to school in UC Berkeley)
Mr. Bungo - Albany (Works in Berkeley)
Bootymastr (jasonthemc) - San Leandro
Nachdiddlyacho - Vallejo
wizard341 - Palo Alto
photopants - Oakland (Work in Walnut Creek
Collect Vintage Games)
Darkyoshi1-Milpitas
sinewav - San Jose
grimlock49 - San Jose
sr20det - San Francisco
T3kN- Santa Rosa
SCUD4LIFE- Daly City
Renzo_ - San Francisco
EastBayAnt - Alameda
eliter1 - Santa Cruz
Batmonkey -Morgan Hill
Scumchummery - Alameda (works in Downtown Oakland)
abcbadcat- San Jose
Pr0JectNymPh0! - Pittsburg
joserjerr - Cupertino
jello00 - San Francisco
sonicsam - Watsonville
Civickid96 - Sunnyvale/Tracy
Mr. Beef - Daly City
metaly - Portola Valley (works in Palo Alto)
jpc168 - San Leandro (school UC Berkeley)
imamanwithaplan - Albany
gotrice415510 - San Rafael
freakyzeeky - Oakland
filanime03 - Daly City
peteaboda1 - Mill Valley
Belgand - San Francisco
BlackBradPitt - San Francisco
mysticeden - Hayward
carbogo - Daly City
Kali Bear Man - San Francisco
Chocoburger - Albany
CarlosX360 - San Mateo, CA
polizia - Willits
chronodev - San Francisco
nem2k2 - San Jose, work in Cupertino
Dorgon - Oakland
dkl415- San Francisco (Richmond district)
Superchivo - San Bruno
SLACKBAKK - San Jose
Donholio - Boulder Creek in the Santa Cruz Mountains
Friscodude- Daly City
playing mantis - Rohnert Park, CA (next to Santa Rosa)
Nam - Sunnyvale (I go to school in merced but I go back a lot)
nakedninja - San Francisco (xbox 360: asenseofmadness)
Bomfy - Santa Cruz
lightzout - San Rafael
Xaliqen - Los Altos
DrunknIronRabit - Concord
Chinese_cuisine - San Leandro
HARDCOREJRM - Alameda
goengland - Santa Clara
Pained Auron - Concord
Zeeman - Berkeley (works in SF)
Zero_Kirby - San Jose
aleraiders - Pittsburg
Dakinggamer - Martinez
vanilleslegs - Vallejo, CA
King Pluto - SF (SOMA)
LeafPanda - SF
subtek- Oakland (works in SF)
krazyazn01 - San Jose
RawrrSlayer - Vallejo,CA
w00tJames - San Jose,CA
Mafoofoo - Sunnyvale/Cupertino Area
Spanky - Pinole

List of Folks who are from the Bay Area but they live somewhere else
ph33r m3
Redeema
Zoglog

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='porieux']Anyone know of any stores in the Bay Area that sell import Japanese games, such as for example Espgaluda II Black Label?[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, most if it not all of the Bay Area Import Game stores have shutdown.

User's Side in San Jose shutdown a couple years ago. They specialized in only Japanese Appliances, Video Games, Consoles, and so on.

Network Video in Burlingame shutdown a little before that. They specialized in Domestic and Import Video Games, Consoles, Accessories, really everything. I heard when they switched owners, the new owner was sort of sketchy with Import Duty Costs, so the store would never get anything new in. When the posted hours of operation on their door were never right, you knew they were shutting down soon.

Star Games in San Francisco closed this year. They sold Imports I think.

Fry's Electronics will sell random Imports, but only for Region Free Devices like PSP, NDS and so forth.

Alameda Game Exchange is ridiculously overpriced but they will occasionally have random trade-ins of Imports.

Thanks for the response asianxcore. Surprised there aren't more import stores in the area, given the large Japanese population.
I tried going to Network Video a few times at various times of day and never once was it open (back when it was still theoretically in business).

[quote name='porieux']Thanks for the response asianxcore. Surprised there aren't more import stores in the area, given the large Japanese population.
I tried going to Network Video a few times at various times of day and never once was it open (back when it was still theoretically in business).[/QUOTE]

Have you tried Japantown? I'm thinking SF; I know SJ has one, too, but I'm a lot less familiar with it and it seems smaller.

Japantown SF has a large bookstore that I think also sells some electronic media. And there are various smaller stores in the mall and surrounding area that sell god-knows-what.

[quote name='porieux']Thanks for the response asianxcore. Surprised there aren't more import stores in the area, given the large Japanese population.
I tried going to Network Video a few times at various times of day and never once was it open (back when it was still theoretically in business).[/QUOTE]

As you can see, there used to be a LOT. But with it being a completely niche market (with Non-Region Free Games) and Mom/Pop trying to do well against Coporate Video Game stores, they all just disappeared or went belly up.

It's been a while since I've been to Japantown, but I don't remember any stores in the malls there that sell Video Games. There is one of the large stores that sells mostly DVD's, that huge bookstore, the big model shop and so forth. The stores around those that used to sell Karaoke Machines/Electronics used to sell a really small number of PS2 imports, but that was a LONG time ago.

When Network Video was under their old owner, it was honestly my FAVORITE place in all of the Bay Area. The employees were really nice and helpful, the owner always got the best New/Used Import/Domestic stuff and didn't gouge people on prices. I got a used copy of MVC2 for DC when he was running the store for $20 and the same for Super Puzzle Fighter for PSX. I think my buddy got a copy of fuck and Mario Kart for SNES for maybe $10.

I almost have a feeling that Brentwood Game Exchange is run by the same people that run Alameda Game Exchange, but you might want to call them to see if they are still open/in business/have what you want:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/brentwood-game-exchange-brentwood-2

Alameda Game Exchange, I give credit for having so much accumulated in their store for a Mom/Pop, but their practices are really sketchy.

One of the times I went there with a friend I noticed they had a Japanese Copy of Power Stone 1 in one of their cases. I asked to look at the Dreamcast games and it was marked $10. I took the game up to the counter to pay for it, lady working tells me it has the wrong price on it and wanted $35 for it then. I easily said no thank you and walked out.

I understand charging that much for RARE stuff, but you are talking about a game that had a release in the U.S, and the Japanese DC games can't run on U.S DC's with CDX.

I got the map and a ton of tags at the San Jose Gamestop earlier. The event was officially from 1-4 though, so I don't know how many people you'd run into if you went now. The NOA rep probably wouldn't be there.

[quote name='subtek']Any Bay Area CAGs gonna be at Gamestop for the DQIX maps today?[/QUOTE]

"Dairy Queen: Invasion X"?
I think I missed that one. My backlog's kinda big, though - can't keep track.

[quote name='metaly']I got the map and a ton of tags at the San Jose Gamestop earlier. The event was officially from 1-4 though, so I don't know how many people you'd run into if you went now. The NOA rep probably wouldn't be there.[/QUOTE]

Hrm, I'm stuck at work till 6:30. Hopefully I can stlll grab the map.

[quote name='King Pluto']I'm moving to SF, SOMA to be exact. Anything I should check out?[/QUOTE]

Lol. Gaming-wise? Restaurants? Churches? Adult entertainment?

You missed the PlayStation Store by a couple of years.

I am getting very busy and I will not have a lot of time to keep the list on post #1 updated. I wonder if there is a way to transfer the list to someone else. Any suggestions?

[quote name='LeafPanda']didn't know that was possible, but yeah that would be the better option[/QUOTE]

Excellent. I will check with a mod.

NJ Transplant here, I live in the San Fran area. I've been looking for an import store for games and can't seem to find one.

I'm also looking for a place that can mod an x-arcade and/or TE stick. Oh and also a place that serve carne asada fries.

Thanks

[quote name='LeafPanda']wow it worked im the OP now[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that a lot of people will not read the instructions in the first post. They will post in the thread instead. I usually don't add them to the list because I don't have the time.

Now if you want to change that, its up to you.

[quote name='Xevious']Keep in mind that a lot of people will not read the instructions in the first post. They will post in the thread instead. I usually don't add them to the list because I don't have the time.

Now if you want to change that, its up to you.[/QUOTE]
Kk thanks
I'll probably update the list for regulars and people who just post.

[quote name='zerotl']NJ Transplant here, I live in the San Fran area. I've been looking for an import store for games and can't seem to find one.

I'm also looking for a place that can mod an x-arcade and/or TE stick. Oh and also a place that serve carne asada fries.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the TE stick, but carne asada fries yes. It's not in San Francisco though. It's in Milpitas...a place called Taqueria Las Vegas. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-las-vegas-milpitas)

I tried out those carne asada fries and they were pretty awesome. It's a good thing I don't live closer to that place or I'd be like 400 pounds.

[quote name='metaly']I tried out those carne asada fries and they were pretty awesome. It's a good thing I don't live closer to that place or I'd be like 400 pounds.[/QUOTE]

I work like about 10 minutes away from that place, so I try not to eat it too often for the same reason. Although now that mention it, I think I will go get some today.

Perhaps this carne asada fries fetish is best continued here:
http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/1

OT: the Borders near me is closing, with the now-familiar pattern of slowly increasing discounts. Unfortunately, their game selection is weaksauce. I dunno if the closing is a one-off or part of a larger cut; might want to check your local store.

It ain't the old PlayStation Store, but there's a new PlayStation Move demo space on Market near Montgomery in SF. Didn't see RE5, but if you want to try out the family-friendly titles it beats waiting in line at E3.

I'm thinking of killing myself if this heat doesn't go away soon. Anyone know any good local venues/regional methods?

Also did everyone see this guy asking for help covering some gaming press events? I guess half of them are already over by now but maybe you could still crash the Kinect or Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood presser.

[quote name='metaly']I'm thinking of killing myself if this heat doesn't go away soon. Anyone know any good local venues/regional methods?[/quote]

I'm right there with you although glad i ain't in socal. LOL

[quote name='metaly']Also did everyone see this guy asking for help covering some gaming press events? I guess half of them are already over by now but maybe you could still crash the Kinect or Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood presser.[/QUOTE]

Nah, he didn't even get the schedule right.

I'm not sure if I should be posting this deal in a new thread or here. (or maybe even the Sacramento thread lol). Feel free to move this to the appropriate location.

The Wal*Mart in Suisun City/Fairfield is closing since a Supercenter is opening nearby soon. There were a number of good games on clearance. Unfortunately, I didn't pay too much attention to the PS360 titles since I don't own either console. However, I can go back to check on those if desired (and if nobody else posts them before I do).

DS clearance titles that I saw

Rhythm Heaven $10
Pokemon Soul Silver $25
Dragon Quest IX $25
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box $20
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future $20

Wii clearance games I saw

Twilight Princess $30
Super Mario Galaxy 2 $30
No More Heroes 2 $20
Red Steel 2 (non bundle) $20

Albany Target has lots on clearance.

Bioshock 360: $7.49
Wii Punchout: $25
RE5 (both) $9
Buncha DS and PSP games

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Anyone know of a good spot to trade in DVD'S? 99% are random anime singles. I just want to get rid of them.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Amazon.com?

Rasputin is another one thats local.

Bad experiences at SF area Gamestop (skip if you're tired of these), buyers beware:

So, I dropped by my local Gamestop today to pick up my Dead Space 2 Collector's Edition preorder. Nope, I got played, they sold it. WTF. This is pretty freakin ridiculous since its only the first day.

Apparently, the DM told the store managers to sell through their collector's edition preorders and said the Palo Alto store had more. I was pretty upset because I preorderd my copy and now had nothing to show for it, I do half my preorders with Gamestop and the other with Amazon, this would've never happened with the 'zon.

Anyways, so the manager called up the store to get one transferred. Nope, zero in stock. To his credit, he apologized and called up almost every store in the area and I forgave him, it wasn't his fault his boss is an idiot. I swear, there is probably a contest where the DM gets money if they sell through in his district. Either way, Gamestops here are shady shady shady, not the first time I've heard this happen south of SF either, its not uncommon for it to happen with big titles like CoD or Reach, but it is definitely the first time it has happened to me with a collector's edition.

Ended up having to drive and pick it up about 15 miles north to another Gamestop where they were also selling through their preordered CE copies also (sorry to you other CE preorder customer, the cycle continues) and the guy behind the counter tried to sell me one that was already opened! Way to take a crap on your customers Gamestop. Incompetence up and down the line, seriously where do they hire these people?

What is the point of preordering at Gamestop if you're just gonna go and sell my preorder before the 1st day is up? ...and you wonder why you're not doing as well business wise. Anyways, this is just a word of warning to you SF Bay Area CAGs. Make sure you get there when the store opens if you're preordering other titles or the 3DS, I'm pretty confident they'll probably be pulling this same exact thing.

its first come first serve.....depends what time i get off work....im working about 5 min away so i might just jump in line right after work depending if people camped over night....then im screwed.....

suprise guest???

a sf giant mayb???

http://www.capcom-unity.com/melodio..._launch_event_in_the_bay_area!__save_the_date

copy paste into the address bar...somehow clicking on the link doesnt work....dam matrix!!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back