Official Sears Clearance Thread II - post Sears finds/deals here

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, actually, I watched a guy do it just last night. (snip)[/QUOTE]

Hah. Again, we're discussing something different. I've had the opposite experience from you and IATCG. Even if a bin is right next to the cashier (as it is in one store), I'd rather walk it across the store to the nearest scanner and do it myself. I have to practically fight the guy off from trying to scan everything for me. The guys around here are generally helpful in that regard (almost too helpful, LOL).

No, I was specifically referring to a situation where all the decent clearance games were still in the locked case. So there was no way to get to them without asking for a clerk to open it up. And a couple of them (at different stores) heaved major sighs and acted like I was asking for a huge favor to grab a couple of games. I phrased it as "can I verify the prices on a couple of these?", so they could assume I wasn't buying, but that wasn't the case. I bought a game or two at both stores. I even tried to scan them myself, but they insisted that games from the case must be handled by them at all times. (Even after they learned they were $5 and $20!)

Don't all stores have self-service scanners?

Didn't realize folks were reporting old stock being pulled out. Good to know. It seemed like recent posts were reporting even lower prices than before, so I took another look. :)

My Sears had a ton of the sports games from last year for $2. I picked up a bunch up, figuring, I could use the cases, play the games for easy achievements, and maybe trade them in disc-only to break even. I didn't know how much people are willing to pay for these older games. I threw a bunch of them up for like $15 shipped on eBay, and they sold out in less than a day.

[quote name='Zippon']Even if a bin is right next to the cashier (as it is in one store), I'd rather walk it across the store to the nearest scanner and do it myself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the problem at this particular store (not the case at any of the other area stores that I check regularly) is that the electronics department is completely walled off, with only one entrance with a sensor on it, and there is no self-scanner within the department. I've gotten permission from the electronics guys to carry stuff out and scan it myself in the past when they've been busy, but I don't like to do that when I can help it because the sensor freaks out and starts making a bunch of noise about returning to the electronics area. Hell, it's overly sensitive, so it freaks out if you even walk too close to it while you're in the electronics area.

[quote name='Zippon']No, I was specifically referring to a situation where all the decent clearance games were still in the locked case. So there was no way to get to them without asking for a clerk to open it up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is also the only store that I go to that doesn't actually have a case. Some of the games are in individual security cases which are locked onto individual hooks on one rack, and some are in a case behind the register, but for the most part those are only the expensive ones. The rest are in bins -- which I referred to as "clearance" bins, but that's actually a bit of a misnomer because there are a lot of non-clearance $20-30 games mixed in, making it hard to tell what's clearance and what's not (since less than half of games in the bin actually have price tags on them).

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']My Sears had a ton of the sports games from last year for $2. I picked up a bunch up, figuring, I could use the cases, play the games for easy achievements, and maybe trade them in disc-only to break even. I didn't know how much people are willing to pay for these older games. I threw a bunch of them up for like $15 shipped on eBay, and they sold out in less than a day.[/QUOTE]

What's funny is that they're clearancing all of last year's sports games for so cheap, but the stores around here at least still have stacks of the ones from the year before last, which they're still trying to sell for $19.99. Sears makes no sense sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, the Sears I shop at is generally like that, as well. They almost never have any clearance stuff, and you will see stuff on the racks that are just screaming for clearance. My fiancee is an LP manager at the store, though, and see called me one day and asked if I wanted any of the games. For a couple of bucks, I figured why not.

My Sears is also strange with there clearance prices. The only clearance/low price items I have ever gotten there were Wolfenstein for PS3 at 19.99 and a Rockband metal pedal for drums for 9.99.

They have had a copy of Dead Space forever that has never been on clearance...always at 19.99.

I was wondering though, was there ever any clearance on the first Transformers game for PS3? They have one in the glass marked at 40 I think. I figure its been there so long...maybe.

What I love about Sears is that NO ONE goes there to buy games. EVER. Thusly, the games sit and accumulate, getting cheaper and cheaper as the months roll by...just waiting for me to come and rescue them!

On the other hand, if the sales figures for games are so low, what's to stop Sears from ditching the game section entirely? They simply cannot be making any serious money on them.... Any thoughts?

[quote name='jupiterjones']What I love about Sears is that NO ONE goes there to buy games. EVER. Thusly, the games sit and accumulate, getting cheaper and cheaper as the months roll by...just waiting for me to come and rescue them!

On the other hand, if the sales figures for games are so low, what's to stop Sears from ditching the game section entirely? They simply cannot be making any serious money on them.... Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

some stores basically have.

they just have some of the latest games for appearances but rarely stock anything more than that.

[quote name='jupiterjones']What I love about Sears is that NO ONE goes there to buy games. EVER. Thusly, the games sit and accumulate, getting cheaper and cheaper as the months roll by...just waiting for me to come and rescue them!

On the other hand, if the sales figures for games are so low, what's to stop Sears from ditching the game section entirely? They simply cannot be making any serious money on them.... Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
I feel the same way about Sears. I feel like of the 4 stores I go to regularly I probably make up for at least half of the overall volume of games sold. When those games are generally

The only time it seems people buy games at Sears (non clearance) is if they can't find it anywhere else. Someone came in looking for Wii Fit Plus while I was looking for clearance games, which was of course sold out but I can't remember the last time I saw anyone else buy a game at Sears when I was there except during the holidays.

[quote name='confoosious']some stores basically have.

they just have some of the latest games for appearances but rarely stock anything more than that.[/QUOTE]

And some stores are exactly that. Meaning they carry no video games at all...

[quote name='ackbar7']I feel the same way about Sears. I feel like of the 4 stores I go to regularly I probably make up for at least half of the overall volume of games sold. When those games are generally

[quote name='lobito']Aren't the drops the 3rd friday of the month? Well, any drops today?[/QUOTE]

No, usually the first Friday of the month. Check back in April ;)

[quote name='Josef']No, usually the first Friday of the month. Check back in April ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I must be confused with another thread.

Reiterating what others said about stock being put back out. The stores near me sold out of :ps3: F3:GOTY when it hit $30. I've checked once since then, and still no sign of any.

Then a copy shows up today for $20. LOL. Killed me to leave it there, but I already have it. Ridiculously good price that. It pays to check again!

[quote name='YoshiFan1']The only time it seems people buy games at Sears (non clearance) is if they can't find it anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

When a game I want goes on sale at a competitor store, I always take the print ad to Sears and get a pricematch. Remember, they do the pricematch-plus deal where they take an extra 10% off! Getting Metroid Prime Trilogy for $20-30 isn't bad, but I remember when Best Buy was running a $20 sale on it before Christmas, I got two copies for $18 each at Sears. When Target had Modern Warfare 2 on sale for $40 just after Christmas, I got it for $36 at Sears. When MicroCenter was doing Halo Wars for $10, I got it for $9.

Other than clearance, that's always a good reason to go to Sears.

So I went to my favorite Sears today and got VERY lucky.

I wanted to grab a Disney DDR :wii: since I knew they had 3 bundles last time I was there...went and there was only one when I went to the section where it was sitting. An associate came to me and was like "You know that is only $30, right? We also have a bin over here, any game $2" So I pretty much cleared out the bin...he rang them up and manually adjusted each game to be $2 - said they needed to move them out. He called someone else in the store while ringing me up to explain why he was doing the discount before he swiped his card to override it due to the discounts.

Anyways, here's my haul for $2 a piece:

Farcry 2 :ps3: & :360:
2K Sports Major League Baseball 2K9 :ps3: x2 & :wii:
Guitar Hero Smash Hits :wii:
Too Human :360:
NCAA Football 09 :360:
Burnout Paradise :360:
Smackdown Vs Raw 08 :360:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 :360:

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to a local sears, and sadly they organized everything and a lot of the clearance items were gone. Walked around and found on the other side of the store:

For PS3:

Nascar 09 2.97
NCAA Football 09 2.97
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground 2.97

DS:

Spiderman Friend or Foe: 2.97

360:
Nascar 09: 2.97

Wii:
Ncaa Football All Play 1.97
Spiderman Friend or Foe: 2.97

I am all set for my cousin's birthdays coming up. Best part is, they hated ride, but wanted a skateboarding game so I think it works out.

Nice. I would love to find NASCAR 09 or NCAA Football 09 for cheap, but NCAA is still at $15 at Kmart near me, and NASCAR 09 has the new $15 UPCs stickered over the original one at all the Kmarts and Sears near me.

Picked up Dirt 2 for 19.99 ...... was suprised it was still there

I had seen the single copy of Dirt 2 and FallOut GOTY last week, both for 19.99 ...but got to looking at some stuff in the tool section and totally forgot.... finally remembered while in the Mall today.... went and checked and couldnt believed it hadnt even been moved from that exact spot in a week

^ if i have a chance I'll see if I can find a copy there for you. I doubt I'll find anything as my purchases alerted the staff (who were the same people who put the stickers on everything this week..).

[quote name='dabamus']Nice. I would love to find NASCAR 09 or NCAA Football 09 for cheap, but NCAA is still at $15 at Kmart near me, and NASCAR 09 has the new $15 UPCs stickered over the original one at all the Kmarts and Sears near me.[/QUOTE]

The Nascar I bought had a $39.99 sticker. Told a SA to scan it and bought it for $5. Just tell somebody to check the prices to be sure.

Speaking of Kmart clearance and Nascar, I found a Nascar 09 last week at a Kmart so look there too. Not sure if its only the PS3 version though...

[quote name='bruticus']Picked up Dirt 2 for 19.99 ...... was suprised it was still there

I had seen the single copy of Dirt 2 and FallOut GOTY last week, both for 19.99 ...but got to looking at some stuff in the tool section and totally forgot.... finally remembered while in the Mall today.... went and checked and couldnt believed it hadnt even been moved from that exact spot in a week[/QUOTE]

fuck.

went to some sears and didn't see any fallout 3 goty or dirt 2. in fact fallout was still behind the glass full retail. wtf? consider yourself lucky.

Derek and Gbear, and whoever else got NASCAR 09 cheap: did it have the new UPC stuck on outside the wrapping or not?

[quote name='hiddenzombie013']Once I went and I found Shrek the Third for $2.98 and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for $1.98. It was a good find, even if the games weren't too hot.[/QUOTE]

Aw, I think ET:Quake Wars is a really decent game, and sadly overlooked. For that price its a steal.

[quote name='dabamus']Nice. I would love to find NASCAR 09 or NCAA Football 09 for cheap, but NCAA is still at $15 at Kmart near me, and NASCAR 09 has the new $15 UPCs stickered over the original one at all the Kmarts and Sears near me.[/QUOTE]
I'd be willing to pick one up for you as long as you can trade a clearance game for it. PM me and LMK.

[quote name='Jiggaloj']The Nascar I bought had a $39.99 sticker. Told a SA to scan it and bought it for $5. Just tell somebody to check the prices to be sure.[/QUOTE]

They put a new UPC over the one for the actual game so it no longer rings up as clearance. Technically you can peel the sticker off, but I guess that could be considered fraud?

[quote name='Bezerker']They put a new UPC over the one for the actual game so it no longer rings up as clearance. Technically you can peel the sticker off, but I guess that could be considered fraud?[/QUOTE]

I tried to peel one out of curiousity - those stickers are stuck on GOOD! Four copies without success, was not coming off clean.

[quote name='Bezerker']They put a new UPC over the one for the actual game so it no longer rings up as clearance. Technically you can peel the sticker off, but I guess that could be considered fraud?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would be. Up to you to decide your morals on it, of course, but if you do it, don't get caught and for fuck's sake don't brag about it on here.

Of course if they're really on top of things, the old UPC will ring up as out-of-system anyway.

All those sticker upc codes are the same right?

I believe it's to make those shitty once-clearanced games generic pricing and inventory tracking.

Hey, we have 10 shitty games at this store! Instead of "we got 5 shitty Nascar 03s and 5 shitty Super Returns!"

[quote name='arcane93']Yes, it would be. Up to you to decide your morals on it, of course, but if you do it, don't get caught and for fuck's sake don't brag about it on here.

Of course if they're really on top of things, the old UPC will ring up as out-of-system anyway.[/QUOTE]

One way to check legally would be to get the UPC for the original game (say from half.com) and then get the upc bar coder printed up from one of the upc database sites online (like upcdatabase.com) and then scan the original upc at a price checker to see if the original bar code still has the clearance price.

Of course if the old bar code still works and is cheap, you will then face a test of your morality vs. cheep games.

Good luck!

[quote name='borg20001']One way to check legally would be to get the UPC for the original game (say from half.com) and then get the upc bar coder printed up from one of the upc database sites online (like upcdatabase.com) and then scan the original upc at a price checker to see if the original bar code still has the clearance price.

Of course if the old bar code still works and is cheap, you will then face a test of your morality vs. cheep games.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

thankfully, a bunch of you won't have to fail the morality test because those stickers are impossible to pull off. Unless you carry around a bottle of goo gone. which I wouldn't put past certain people.

Well, I remember back when Mercury Meltdown & Zoo Keeper were on clearance, they were only on clearance specifically if they had that new barcode on it. I was quite surprised we didnt get any ppl bragging about how they took the sticker off the right game and threw it on a $60 game to get it for 97 cents.

I guess I got lucky. They didn't put a new UPC over the the original one.

[quote name='monkeysez']Great deal at Sears in Provo, Utah (At Provo Mall) Motorstorm Pacific Rift for $20.00.[/QUOTE]
Nice find! I have been looking for this at that price point for a while.

bread's done
Back