Official Sears Clearance Thread II - post Sears finds/deals here

Something I don't get either is stores keeping games in the backroom out of view of customers. ESPECIALLY if there aren't duplicate copies in the case or out on the floor.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Good luck. Unless the rest of CAG stops buying up the games they're putting on 'sale' now with the $10/$20/etc coupons it's looking like SHC and crew are here to stay.:roll:[/QUOTE]

While the coupon deals are good, the only way to efficiently get the coupons is to buy games that you don't want to due to release dates. The way I see it is some people that have a mild interest in a title @ best are more likely to buy it just to get the coupon & then sit on the game & not play it or trade it for half or less of what they paid for it even w/ coupon (Gamestop).

The FONV coaster deal isn't bad considering I could get $15 off of it or some other game. TBH I might end up using it on Heavenly Sword for $15, MGS Collection, or MGS4. I'm not sure yet.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']Something I don't get either is stores keeping games in the backroom out of view of customers. ESPECIALLY if there aren't duplicate copies in the case or out on the floor.[/QUOTE]
The one Kmart by me was like that for the longest time. A friend and I hit them about 2-3 years ago and they brought out a whole cartload of PS2/Xbox/GC games that were largely 90% off.

I picked up a PS2 Silver DS2 recently from Kmart for $5, it was still on the magnetic hook and not marked, but within a day of me buying that ONE they were clearly marked $5.

Had they been lazy like usual I WOULD have been able to go back next month in hopes of a drop to $2 or less and grab another 1-2 for myself. :cry:
[quote name='Maniac Mansion']While the coupon deals are good, the only way to efficiently get the coupons is to buy games that you don't want to due to release dates. The way I see it is some people that have a mild interest in a title @ best are more likely to buy it just to get the coupon & then sit on the game & not play it or trade it for half or less of what they paid for it even w/ coupon (Gamestop).

The FONV coaster deal isn't bad considering I could get $15 off of it or some other game. TBH I might end up using it on Heavenly Sword for $15, MGS Collection, or MGS4. I'm not sure yet.[/QUOTE]
But see, I'm NOT one to buy a game and trade it in and get much less than I paid 90% of the time. But I did end up buying Transformers: WFC and I got it at launch from GS with some cheap credit and instead of personally playing it I watched a friend play it and realized how annoyed I'd be with the sparse ammo for the weapons.

So it's been sitting on my trade list for a while now hoping that someone would want it for $10 off MSRP($50), but that has been to no avail.:roll:

I don't know if it's the influx of newer members who are still of the mindset of the normal consumer where paying MSRP or close is a tolerable deal to them or if the CAG's largely going for these deals are just impatient or what.

But there hasn't been anything really Earth shakingly great as far as the sales go. I just find it humorous that so many are so easily bought off.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The one Kmart by me was like that for the longest time. A friend and I hit them about 2-3 years ago and they brought out a whole cartload of PS2/Xbox/GC games that were largely 90% off.

I picked up a PS2 Silver DS2 recently from Kmart for $5, it was still on the magnetic hook and not marked, but within a day of me buying that ONE they were clearly marked $5.

Had they been lazy like usual I WOULD have been able to go back next month in hopes of a drop to $2 or less and grab another 1-2 for myself. :cry:

But see, I'm NOT one to buy a game and trade it in and get much less than I paid 90% of the time. But I did end up buying Transformers: WFC and I got it at launch from GS with some cheap credit and instead of personally playing it I watched a friend play it and realized how annoyed I'd be with the sparse ammo for the weapons.

So it's been sitting on my trade list for a while now hoping that someone would want it for $10 off MSRP($50), but that has been to no avail.:roll:

I don't know if it's the influx of newer members who are still of the mindset of the normal consumer where paying MSRP or close is a tolerable deal to them or if the CAG's largely going for these deals are just impatient or what.

But there hasn't been anything really Earth shakingly great as far as the sales go. I just find it humorous that so many are so easily bought off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if there's a kick ass deal for say a PS3 bundle or Wii bundle w/ AA/AAA titles @ Kmart on Black Friday then I'll bite. Otherwise it'll be Best Buy again for me this BF. Although where I live now the Kmart & BB are right across the street from each other! :lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The curse of corporate meddling strikes again.:roll:

But hey, at least we get those AWESOME MSRP priced games with coupons we can use on the NEXT game we buy, right?:roll:[/QUOTE]

Honestly, you cannot blame a company not wanting to continue to bleed money in a particular department. Sure, getting games for $5 at Sears is wonderful for us, but not them.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Honestly, you cannot blame a company not wanting to continue to bleed money in a particular department. Sure, getting games for $5 at Sears is wonderful for us, but not them.[/QUOTE]
I do understand their point, but those games had their chance to sell at higher prices and didn't(due in no small part to many people not equating Sears/Kmart with video games), so now that they're old stock they need to be liquidated to make room for newer stock.

Before SHC and crew took over though I don't remember games going down to $.50 each or even less in the case of some DS games($.27).

After games reached 90% off their sticker price or MSRP(whichever the game's clearance prices were based on in the system), then they went out of system and that was the end of the story there.

I just don't see why setting an arbitrary price like $10 for the lowest tier of clearance pricing is necessary NOW. SHC really needs to stop meddling and stick to buying games and working his coupon sale shtick.

The SHC crew must have some real original concept if they don't think putting stuff on clearance for low prices is a smart option. All of the other retailers like TRU, Target, Walmart, Frys Electronics, Best Buy, etc. all practice this clearance cycle and don't seem to have any qualms about it. I guess SHC has the secret formula...

[quote name='converse']The SHC crew must have some real original concept if they don't think putting stuff on clearance for low prices is a smart option. All of the other retailers like TRU, Target, Walmart, Frys Electronics, Best Buy, etc. all practice this clearance cycle and don't seem to have any qualms about it. I guess SHC has the secret formula...[/QUOTE]

It's probably an accounting cheat. Once the item is sold, they take the loss. Before it's sold, it's on the books as an asset "worth" 59.99. Honestly, Sears is going to get clogged with games. Their display cases are much smaller than Kmart.

The reason I know 9.99 usd games won't sell is by looking at TRU rack, the 10 dlls games there never ever ever sell, people don't even look at them, only when they go on clearance they move but not before. (not even soccer moms)

Let's see Sears and Kmart 9.99 rack get clogged and full in all it's glory, we got the best site for a full array of cheap option on Cheap ass games :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I do understand their point, but those games had their chance to sell at higher prices and didn't(due in no small part to many people not equating Sears/Kmart with video games), so now that they're old stock they need to be liquidated to make room for newer stock.

Before SHC and crew took over though I don't remember games going down to $.50 each or even less in the case of some DS games($.27).

After games reached 90% off their sticker price or MSRP(whichever the game's clearance prices were based on in the system), then they went out of system and that was the end of the story there.

I just don't see why setting an arbitrary price like $10 for the lowest tier of clearance pricing is necessary NOW. SHC really needs to stop meddling and stick to buying games and working his coupon sale shtick.[/QUOTE]

Besides all the pricing strategies, how about some good old fashioned customer service, accesibility on picking up your games (stupid glass case with no keys) and maybe making the whole games section looking like .. an appealing cool videogame section of your store where it's easy to pick upo your games.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Honestly, you cannot blame a company not wanting to continue to bleed money in a particular department. Sure, getting games for $5 at Sears is wonderful for us, but not them.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Moreover (and as alluded to by IATCG when he said that he's not really the type of customer they are trying to keep) the term "deal" is relative. That is, "most of cag" finds the coupon deals to be excellent. And while IATCG, Maniac Mansion, etc, may not like the deals or think that they can ony be "efficient" in certain circumstances, the reality is that this is clearly the minority opinion.

The point is that many of us are viewing this as cutting into our profit margin, but many, if not most CAGs have always been more interested in getting games cheap, then turning a profit on them. So we may have to find a way to change with the times also because saying we disapprove of SHC's pro coupon/anti-clearance plan won't get us anywhere given the clear support it has gotten from the minority.

Edited to Clarify: I'm in alignment with IATCG and Maniac Mansion as far as my opinion, I just don't think our opinion matters much. lol.

Both sides are right, imo, but there are some stupid things like selling 2007 sports games for $10. Dropping games to $0.47 and below isn't smart either. I liked the older Target clearances better; 30% drop, then progressively more, instead of crazy drops to

Another thing annoying (about the 2 Sears near me anyways) is that it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to find someone to get a game out of the case or check the price on something. If you're not there buying an HDTV or major appliance, they all go hide somewhere. On more than one occasion I had to go over to hardware/tools to get someone to assist me. I don't go to Sears that often, so w/e. *shrugs*

I think the Kmart deals are decent in most instances. I'm just not a proponent for buying any game unless I know I've found the best "legitimate" deal available. Sometimes, if it means waiting for a used game sale, glitch, Warehouse Deals, clearance, or waiting for re-releases then so be it.

[quote name='elessar123']Both sides are right, imo, but there are some stupid things like selling 2007 sports games for $10. Dropping games to $0.47 and below isn't smart either. I liked the older Target clearances better; 30% drop, then progressively more, instead of crazy drops to

I checked a local Kmart tonight and if SHC and crew had planned to raise ALL games currently on clearance that're LOWER than $10 to $10 or so they have not as of yet tampered with the Kmart games.

I had Dark Sector for PS3 checked and it was still ringing up $4.97(while being marked $59.99:lol:). They also had two of the silver Dual Shock 2's for $4.99 at the store I was at.

What the hell? Obviously SHC doesn't care about how resellers are going to feed their families!

Seriously though, I've always thought Sears should open an eBay account and cut out the middlemen.

[quote name='shoe478']What the hell? Obviously SHC doesn't care about how resellers are going to feed their families!

Seriously though, I've always thought Sears should open an eBay account and cut out the middlemen.[/QUOTE]
You forgot those of us who are flippers, as many of the clearance titles make great trade fodder if we decide we don't like the games.;)

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']DO NOT BEG AND FOR CHRIST SAKE, DO NOT CALL SEARS AND ASK FOR CLEARANCE GAMES!

HAHAHA This was funny.[/QUOTE]
What post is that from? :lol: I remember being in a Sears or Kmart someplace when someone else came into the electronics department and asked about clearance games, while standing right next to the frickin' metal clearance bin.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What post is that from? :lol: I remember being in a Sears or Kmart someplace when someone else came into the electronics department and asked about clearance games, while standing right next to the frickin' metal clearance bin.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Those are the type of people that think $59.98 is a great price and snatch em up..more power to em...

Hell no. I want stuff to languish on the shelves forever, thus forcing a massive clearance ala the Circuit City $5 game clearance(which I missed since I think it happened just prior to me joining CAG:bomb:).

[quote name='bgame2']Exactly. Moreover (and as alluded to by IATCG when he said that he's not really the type of customer they are trying to keep) the term "deal" is relative. That is, "most of cag" finds the coupon deals to be excellent. And while IATCG, Maniac Mansion, etc, may not like the deals or think that they can ony be "efficient" in certain circumstances, the reality is that this is clearly the minority opinion.

The point is that many of us are viewing this as cutting into our profit margin, but many, if not most CAGs have always been more interested in getting games cheap, then turning a profit on them. So we may have to find a way to change with the times also because saying we disapprove of SHC's pro coupon/anti-clearance plan won't get us anywhere given the clear support it has gotten from the minority.

Edited to Clarify: I'm in alignment with IATCG and Maniac Mansion as far as my opinion, I just don't think our opinion matters much. lol.[/QUOTE]
See, that's the thing. I don't care to flip games for the most part. I just buy games I want to play and keep. And since none of the Sears I've ever been in have had clearance worth anything (usually at or above current MSRP, and sometimes, several times current MSRP) I'm happy to get new releases for half off after using coupons at K-Mart. Is it as good as paying a couple bucks? Of course not. But since that's not an aveneue open to me, and I suspect, many others, I'm happy to get what you must admit is a great deal compared with other stores. Halo Reach for $30 on launch day and another $25 off a game later? I'll take that.

That's not to say I don't empathize, as I'd be really disappointed too were I in your shoes. But since I've never had the opportunity for the kind of clearances you have gotten, I can't really miss it ending.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I checked a local Kmart tonight and if SHC and crew had planned to raise ALL games currently on clearance that're LOWER than $10 to $10 or so they have not as of yet tampered with the Kmart games.

I had Dark Sector for PS3 checked and it was still ringing up $4.97(while being marked $59.99:lol:). They also had two of the silver Dual Shock 2's for $4.99 at the store I was at.[/QUOTE]
When did you get the PS2 controller for $5 because my store has like 20 silver ones in stock and the last time I checked they were priced at $18.97, but I didn't bother to ring it up since I would have to ask a sales associate (and wait 20 minutes til he's done with other customers) to pull it out for me? Also, was this at Kmart or Sears that you found this price drop?

Has anybody else been lucky enough to score a silver PS2 controller for that price as well?

[quote name='zpoor17']When did you get the PS2 controller for $5 because my store has like 20 silver ones in stock and the last time I checked they were priced at $18.97, but I didn't bother to ring it up since I would have to ask a sales associate (and wait 20 minutes til he's done with other customers) to pull it out for me? Also, was this at Kmart or Sears that you found this price drop?

Has anybody else been lucky enough to score a silver PS2 controller for that price as well?[/QUOTE]
This was at Kmart. They had 2 more left at the one store close to me as of the other night, but I also alerted another fellow CAG about them being there, so they might be gone by now.

If you don't mark the games to clearance at Sears thats a pretty good way to sit on games that no one will buy unless they are real cheap. My Wal-Mart for years never marked down games and end up with a stock of over 300+ original XBox games at full price. It's better to dump your inventory at a low price rather then hope some ignorant customer pays full price for a game - or worst you keep them outside the case and they get stolen.

Though I still think Sears should forget about carrying games at all. Clearance was the only reason I ever looked and I know no one ever went to Sears to get a game on launch unless every other place was sold out. KMart is doing the right thing by offering incentives to go there instead of other places (infact, Kmart has the best deals if you want a game at release) Sears needs to do the same otherwise why bother?

IATCG,

I was at the one in Easton yesterday and they did a major overhaul. The now have a separate isle for the clearance games. (I've seen this before but not at this particular kmart. Also, nothing there was less than 19.99. I believe Dark Void was even 19.99. The point is, if it hasn't hit your area yet, it's getting closer.

[quote name='bgame2']IATCG,

I was at the one in Easton yesterday and they did a major overhaul. The now have a separate isle for the clearance games. (I've seen this before but not at this particular kmart. Also, nothing there was less than 19.99. I believe Dark Void was even 19.99. The point is, if it hasn't hit your area yet, it's getting closer.[/QUOTE]

I don't suppose you've hit Whitehall as of late. That Sears in the Whitehall Mall seemed like it might be a good place to score, but the last time I was there was last fall/winter with a now ex gf and it was at the very end of the night.

This was AFTER I had run around the Best Buy and Lehigh Valley Mall near there in record time after going to the Olive Garden or whatever right near there.

They had some photo printer for $1.99 on clearance there with no wires for it and I'm not sure what else since I was drawing a complete blank as I tried to run into the store to check out electronics.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I don't suppose you've hit Whitehall as of late. That Sears in the Whitehall Mall seemed like it might be a good place to score, but the last time I was there was last fall/winter with a now ex gf and it was at the very end of the night.

This was AFTER I had run around the Best Buy and Lehigh Valley Mall near there in record time after going to the Olive Garden or whatever right near there.

They had some photo printer for $1.99 on clearance there with no wires for it and I'm not sure what else since I was drawing a complete blank as I tried to run into the store to check out electronics.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Actually, I screwed up. I hit the Kmart (wrong thread my mistake) in Easton. I have been to the Whitehall Sears, but do not go there often because I believe Salty bone (as well as a few other cags) are much closer to that area than me.

[quote name='bgame2']Actually, I screwed up. I hit the Kmart (wrong thread my mistake) in Easton. I have been to the Whitehall Sears, but do not go there often because I believe Salty bone (as well as a few other cags) are much closer to that area than me.[/QUOTE]
I thought Salty was more up my way though, unless I have them confused with someone else. I know there's another CAG down in Drums and at least 3-5 more between Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton.

I'm just kinda shocked I haven't run into more CAG's in my travels, though I guess most of us don't just go around proclaiming we're from some deal site on the internet to random strangers in a store, right?

Otherwise I'd swear I bumped into another CAG at the WB BB store last week. I think they must've been looking for that Strong Bad PC game that was a penny there.:lol: I finally picked up a few of those, though they're probably going to friends since I don't play PC games.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I thought Salty was more up my way though, unless I have them confused with someone else. I know there's another CAG down in Drums and at least 3-5 more between Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton.

I'm just kinda shocked I haven't run into more CAG's in my travels, though I guess most of us don't just go around proclaiming we're from some deal site on the internet to random strangers in a store, right?

Otherwise I'd swear I bumped into another CAG at the WB BB store last week. I think they must've been looking for that Strong Bad PC game that was a penny there.:lol: I finally picked up a few of those, though they're probably going to friends since I don't play PC games.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I've run into CAG's before but I never actually ask them. I just see them looking through the stacks of clearance games with that look in the eye that says, "MAKE IT CHEAPER!"

[quote name='typical guy']I'm pretty sure I've run into CAG's before but I never actually ask them. I just see them looking through the stacks of clearance games with that look in the eye that says, "MAKE IT CHEAPER!"[/QUOTE]
That's what this guy the other day looking at the PC games at BB looked like. He left the store with nothing as well.

I scoured the shelves for a long time looking too and even asked the one employee to check for stock for me, which confirmed that they had none in stock.

I was at the Whitehall Sears not long ago and there was not much there...I'm the Sears nomad! lol...hitting Sears within the CT/NJ/NY/PA areas. There really has been nothing good to report though since this new clearance pricing started :(

[quote name='shiningslade']I was at the Whitehall Sears not long ago and there was not much there...I'm the Sears nomad! lol...hitting Sears within the CT/NJ/NY/PA areas. There really has been nothing good to report though since this new clearance pricing started :([/QUOTE]
:rofl: I thought I was bad with wandering all around the tri-state area just a few years ago with one jaunt into CT, but you've taken over for me pretty well, huh?

BTW, Rockaway Sears had some stuff, though I already looted them of copies of :psp:Loco Roco 2($.50 each).:lol:

You should really check that one huge mall just over the NY/CT line though, as maybe they still have 300+ guides in the one GS store in the mall that they did 3-4 years ago when I hit there.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:rofl: I thought I was bad with wandering all around the tri-state area just a few years ago with one jaunt into CT, but you've taken over for me pretty well, huh?

BTW, Rockaway Sears had some stuff, though I already looted them of copies of :psp:Loco Roco 2($.50 each).:lol:

You should really check that one huge mall just over the NY/CT line though, as maybe they still have 300+ guides in the one GS store in the mall that they did 3-4 years ago when I hit there.;)[/QUOTE]

Theres plenty of us. I do Western NY, Central NY, NE PA and NE Ohio. Goldmines for many years.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xDerekRx']Theres plenty of us. I do Western NY, Central NY, NE PA and NE Ohio. Goldmines for many years. Now I work at Sears for added bonus :)[/QUOTE]
NE PA? Exactly where in NEPA have you been hitting?:bomb: And what do you consider Central NY? I was hitting up Elmira/Big Flats/Ithaca with stops in Binghamton/Vestal/Johnson City for the longest time when I was going up that way for work(driving for a car dealer to and from auctions).

We also hit up auctions in Harrisburg/York areas in PA on occasion and I've walked like 10 miles roundtrip from the auction to get to various new stores down by the one auction.

I was also routinely hitting up Syracuse and the surrounding areas up there when on work trips too, but sadly with the rise in gas prices and how sucky the auctions have become in general I've been going maybe once or twice every couple of months now.:cry:

Matter of fact I was offered a chance to hit up Waverly, NY area(walking from the auction)this coming Friday, but I might be picking up a dog from a local shelter then so I had to say no.

Besides hitting those areas when I was on a work trip I also convinced an ex gf of mine to hit those areas(and more) up under the guise of a road trip, the most epic of which was an eight hour ride to Atlantic City from here(normally a 3 hour ride:whistle2:#).

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']I really hope 50 cent games are the future!!

Bad news tho I went to 2 Sears today and pretty much all the clearance games are now off clearance (Lego Rockband, Dirt 2, Red Faction, Brutal Legend, TNA Impact) WTF???

I did find 2 Loco Roco's for 50 cent each but that's it... discuss (?)[/QUOTE]

I work at a SHC retailer I don't get much time to sit there and scan games for clearance items (I plan on at some point going through the entire glass case with a friend but not anytime soon as our store has some very strange pricing (Persona 3 (not FES) for 50 bucks)) and I found a Boy and His Blob for 3.97, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen for 2.97 and Wolfenstien for 9.97 . . . so just saying, some pricing is still lower than ten.

It seems to be very difficult to find out when games are going to go on clearance, or what games don't even have a price anymore and have to be thrown out. It's kind of sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Wolfenstein (PS3) for $4.97 months ago, then one magically reappeared recently and it rang up $14.97..hmmm

[quote name='lude21']I got Wolfenstein (PS3) for $4.97 months ago, then one magically reappeared recently and it rang up $14.97..hmmm[/QUOTE]
That would be the copy that I brought back from out of the area.:D I bought it for $10 out of town and when I scanned it in the store by us I was like 'wtf'. I figured it would've been lower here and I could've done a return/rebuy or price adjustment.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']robotosan1080, might want to edit out your location, there are a LOT of Sears Holding Execs that post in CAG now.
[/QUOTE]

Totally don't mean to do anything thats against SHC policy. Just trying to help the chain get money for merch that'll get tossed. I

The one Sears employee who used to report prices in this thread was fired, possibly for leaking the information, so I would take as many precautions as possible to avoid the same fate, robotosan1080.

robotosan - only if you spills the beans BEFORE they go on sale. Which I believe is what happened with the last guy.

If you're just reporting prices that are publicly available, you're just helping them out.

appreciate the warning guys.
Wasn't going to post things before hand anyway. Only going to confirm the prices once clearance happens.
Thanks for the concern.

either way, better safe than sorry and remove references to your actual location. that being said, don't sweat it. people are REALLY super extra paranoid in this thread in particular.

bread's done
Back