Official Skylanders Thread

The coupons are tied to your Power Up account. You just need to get a little Adventure Club card scanned in to a transaction if you are a pro member to link the accounts.

Well, does anybody know if you can actually get the deals without either one of those memberships? I live five miles from the closest store, and it's going to be 100 degrees tomorrow. Not sure if it's worth the walk.

Well, does anybody know if you can actually get the deals without either one of those memberships? I live five miles from the closest store, and it's going to be 100 degrees tomorrow. Not sure if it's worth the walk.
Walk? What is this?

The Trail of Tears? Its 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a small town with barely any public transportation. It's mostly farms up here. The GameStop is in the town's main shopping center five miles from my home.

I live in a small town with barely any public transportation. It's mostly farms up here. The GameStop is in the town's main shopping center five miles from my home.
The online flyer - posted here - doesn't make mention of either membership to get any of the deals - I can't imagine either are a requirement. Gamestop typically does not turn down money in my experience. With the Power Up Pro, you earn points per dollar spent and with the Skylanders Club, you earn a free Skylander coupon per 6 or 8 Skylanders purchased (is how an employee explained it, but I didn't sign up).

However, I would call first to make sure they have the Skylanders you want. I've been to these "events" before and no stock was held, so when you show up when they open, the employee a) has no idea it's a special sale and b) all the exclusive stuff was sold earlier in the week when it came in.

However, I would call first to make sure they have the Skylanders you want. I've been to these "events" before and no stock was held, so when you show up when they open, the employee a) has no idea it's a special sale and b) all the exclusive stuff was sold earlier in the week when it came in.
The exclusive stuff was register locked this time, though. Some did put it out but the register denied sales.

Just got back from my GS.  They were somewhat organized, they had KCC behind the register along with the shrednaught trap.  They allowed only one KCC per person, though it is buy one get one free on cores, but this was nice (deters the scalpers).  I did preorder 3 (xbone, wii u, and wii) superchargers and received 3 exclusive traps free.  They had no posters.  Good luck to all.

I have a general Skylanders question I am hoping someone can help with. Is there any reason to buy different series of the same figure? Like the different Spyro's or Trigger Happy's? For example, if I put an Adventure Spyro into the Swap Force game, will it still be the original version of the character or will it act and look just like the Mega Ram Spyro from the Swap Force game?

Just got back from my GS. They were somewhat organized, they had KCC behind the register along with the shrednaught trap. They allowed only one KCC per person, though it is buy one get one free on cores, but this was nice (deters the scalpers). I did preorder 3 (xbone, wii u, and wii) superchargers and received 3 exclusive traps free. They had no posters. Good luck to all.
I'm going to GS today to buy the Trap Team starter pack. I think I'm going to buy King Cobra Cadabra. I like collecting variants. Do you guys have any recommendations for another core character to pair with him for the B1G1? I guess I'll get one of the elements I'm missing. Any suggestions? Preferably, I'm thinking I'd like to buy one that will be hard for me to find on Amazon Warehouse Deals cheap some time down the road.

The only Trap Team Figures I have so far are Winterfest Lobstar from Target and the Hijinx & Eye Small 2 Pack.

I'm going to GS today to buy the Trap Team starter pack. I think I'm going to buy King Cobra Cadabra. I like collecting variants. Do you guys have any recommendations for another core character to pair with him for the B1G1? I guess I'll get one of the elements I'm missing. Any suggestions? Preferably, I'm thinking I'd like to buy one that will be hard for me to find on Amazon Warehouse Deals cheap some time down the road.

The only Trap Team Figures I have so far are Winterfest Lobstar from Target and the Hijinx & Eye Small 2 Pack.
When I played Trap Team, I didn't get the impression the core characters were very powerful, so I stuck with the Trap Masters. For this promo, I got Fling Kong with Cobra Cadabra, as I like monkeys and I think he's one of the newer released core figs. Also, I have a crap ton from the other three games, so I slacked off on buying the cores, as the 'gimmick' characters for SF and TT tended to be the ones I used most. There are no element gates for cores in TT, so even buying the same element doesn't matter (element gates are just for Trap Masters). I would just get whichever appeals to your sensibilities and looks like a fun character.

I have a general Skylanders question I am hoping someone can help with. Is there any reason to buy different series of the same figure? Like the different Spyro's or Trigger Happy's? For example, if I put an Adventure Spyro into the Swap Force game, will it still be the original version of the character or will it act and look just like the Mega Ram Spyro from the Swap Force game?
I try to stay away from buying re-posed characters if I already have a previously released version, mostly to focus on the newer/different characters.

If you put a S1 Spyro (from the first game) in SF, he will still be the original version. If you purchase the Mega Ram (which may be Series 3?) Spyro, he has some cosmetic differences, I believe, but those may be the same differences that appear once you upgrade the figure anyway (in-game, with the fairy). Keep in mind any experience one version of Spryo gets, any additional versions do NOT get. So you're basically starting over at Level 1 with new versions of the same character. I think the WOW POW attack was added for re-posed/released characters as an incentive to re-buy, but YMMV how much you'd actually use that if you have multiple characters anyway.

So, to answer probably more of the main question:

If you're only going to purchase the games moving forward and not catching up on the past games (which I'd recommend, SF and TT are great, but it would be hard going back to the first three, including SF, after having the jump ability in TT), I would buy the "newer" version of whichever character - UNLESS - the price is significantly different (i.e. $2.50 for core figs from the first game vs $10 for a re-posed version). Newer games appear to have less emphasis on core figs and more on the newly introduced "gimmick" character. So I would do some research to figure out the bare minimum of figures you need to complete the games you plan to buy (i.e. 1 Giant Figure of any element, 1 Trap Master from each element, 1 SF figure from each element and movement type). That will give you at least 16-20 figures, which is a good assortment to play SF and TT (obviously the Trap Masters are not going to work in SF). If you also want to play the first two, just get one core character from each element from Spyro's Adventure OR one re-posed character from Series 2 (since those are backwards compatible, if memory serves).

Hopefully, that wasn't more confusing. If I got anything incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me.

When I played Trap Team, I didn't get the impression the core characters were very powerful, so I stuck with the Trap Masters. For this promo, I got Fling Kong with Cobra Cadabra, as I like monkeys and I think he's one of the newer released core figs. Also, I have a crap ton from the other three games, so I slacked off on buying the cores, as the 'gimmick' characters for SF and TT tended to be the ones I used most. There are no element gates for cores in TT, so even buying the same element doesn't matter (element gates are just for Trap Masters). I would just get whichever appeals to your sensibilities and looks like a fun character.
Thanks. This is very helpful. Maybe I'll just save money for Trap Masters instead. We'll see what my store still has in stock.

Anyone know what causes this error when checking out on gamestop.com

Oops!

Undefined: OrderSubmissionError

Tried paying with credit card and i get this error.Then i tried paypal and got the same error but with paypal i got an email from

paypal showing i submitted a payment to gamestop but there is no record of the order on gamestop.com anywhere.

I arrived at my local GameStop 10 minutes after the store opened and was able to get both exclusive items. The clerk said they'd received ten KCCs and ten Steampunk Shrednaught traps, and they'd already sold eight of each within ten minutes of opening!

I try to stay away from buying re-posed characters if I already have a previously released version, mostly to focus on the newer/different characters.

If you put a S1 Spyro (from the first game) in SF, he will still be the original version. If you purchase the Mega Ram (which may be Series 3?) Spyro, he has some cosmetic differences, I believe, but those may be the same differences that appear once you upgrade the figure anyway (in-game, with the fairy). Keep in mind any experience one version of Spryo gets, any additional versions do NOT get. So you're basically starting over at Level 1 with new versions of the same character. I think the WOW POW attack was added for re-posed/released characters as an incentive to re-buy, but YMMV how much you'd actually use that if you have multiple characters anyway.

So, to answer probably more of the main question:

If you're only going to purchase the games moving forward and not catching up on the past games (which I'd recommend, SF and TT are great, but it would be hard going back to the first three, including SF, after having the jump ability in TT), I would buy the "newer" version of whichever character - UNLESS - the price is significantly different (i.e. $2.50 for core figs from the first game vs $10 for a re-posed version). Newer games appear to have less emphasis on core figs and more on the newly introduced "gimmick" character. So I would do some research to figure out the bare minimum of figures you need to complete the games you plan to buy (i.e. 1 Giant Figure of any element, 1 Trap Master from each element, 1 SF figure from each element and movement type). That will give you at least 16-20 figures, which is a good assortment to play SF and TT (obviously the Trap Masters are not going to work in SF). If you also want to play the first two, just get one core character from each element from Spyro's Adventure OR one re-posed character from Series 2 (since those are backwards compatible, if memory serves).

Hopefully, that wasn't more confusing. If I got anything incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me.
That actually helps a lot. Unfortunately my Collecting OCD will make me get them all eventually, I was more asking from a play perspective.

Never had any interest at all in the series but then picked up Swap Force and Trap Team when they dropped recently. After that, went and picked up the Giants and S1 starters for $10 each and am starting with the first one.

Managed to find all the Swap Force swapable figures after some hunting. Trap Masters seemed to be a little easier though. Only had issues with Wildfire and Krypt King. Found the Target version of Krypt King last week and then a Dark Wildfire at Gamestop this week for $8.

Looking back at the prices on some of the variants from the older sets are a little disheartening though.

That actually helps a lot. Unfortunately my Collecting OCD will make me get them all eventually, I was more asking from a play perspective.

Never had any interest at all in the series but then picked up Swap Force and Trap Team when they dropped recently. After that, went and picked up the Giants and S1 starters for $10 each and am starting with the first one.

Managed to find all the Swap Force swapable figures after some hunting. Trap Masters seemed to be a little easier though. Only had issues with Wildfire and Krypt King. Found the Target version of Krypt King last week and then a Dark Wildfire at Gamestop this week for $8.

Looking back at the prices on some of the variants from the older sets are a little disheartening though.
With the first game, they actually had per case chase figures - I don't think they've done that since - most (all?) of the exclusives since have been developer, retailer, convention, or promo exclusive. Some of them would be quite hard for you to track down, and even then, they're quite a chunk of coin. Hopefully you'll get to the point of saturation and dial back on collecting every variant prior to homelessness and/or institualization ;)

No, we still have some chase figures that are put in the regular assortments. I randomly stumbled into a clear Short Cut when he launched. There's also clear Thunderbolts and clear Tuff Lucks.

The skylanders club cost $15 the last time I tried to join. I don't have a paid membership to gs's loyalty program. In general I try to avoid paid memberships to loyalty clubs.

Also it's not worth it, GameStop charges at least $1 more for figures than regular stores like target and Walmart so by the time you buy enough to get the free figure you have already paid for it with the extra dollar they charge per figure.

Damn...i don't even grab the newspaper from my front yard without my uni

ryno-3.jpg

Darn that's tempting. I haven't played Giants yet, but I already own 3 or 4 of those. Is it worth it to drop another $19.99 to complete the collection?
If four or more will be new to your collection, its a good deal. If you own none GET THIS NOW!

I like to try to get as many achievements in the game as possible. Having extra figures seems to help on nightmare mode.

You really won't use Giants outside of the Giants game - you just need one to unlock chests in Swap Force and Trap Team - you probably won't use them otherwise, as they're rather slow.  If you already have 3-4 of the 8 Giants, I'm not sure you need a full set, but it isn't a bad deal, particularly if you could off-load the extras.

Wait on Skylanders pre-orders. They tend to get better and better. And the Dark editions were not all that rare last year (and only rare on the WiiU the year prior). TRU, in particular, gave out a free Adventure Pack ($27 value at TRU) with purchase of the Dark Starter at midnight opening last year and that deal didn't even come up for pre-order. Wave 1 stuff is never hard to find, so you can afford to wait until the week of release and pick the best deal.

Wait on Skylanders pre-orders. They tend to get better and better. And the Dark editions were not all that rare last year (and only rare on the WiiU the year prior). TRU, in particular, gave out a free Adventure Pack ($27 value at TRU) with purchase of the Dark Starter at midnight opening last year and that deal didn't even come up for pre-order. Wave 1 stuff is never hard to find, so you can afford to wait until the week of release and pick the best deal.
The Dark Edition is supposed to list for $99 (I think), so $25 off isn't too bad if you want it day one.

Dark Editions were easy to find until about Thanksgiving of last year. They still hover around $80-120 depending on which system you want, so snagging one now at $75 is a great deal.

I preordered an Xbox One version. Kinda tempted by those Nintendo exclusives, but I think I'll just try and get loose figures down the line.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but I noticed that Target is now selling preowned Skylanders figures in store.  They had a decent assortment and were priced either $4.99, $7.99, or $9.99.

They were located in the used game section.

Dark Editions were easy to find until about Thanksgiving of last year. They still hover around $80-120 depending on which system you want, so snagging one now at $75 is a great deal.

I preordered an Xbox One version. Kinda tempted by those Nintendo exclusives, but I think I'll just try and get loose figures down the line.
I wouldn't count on the Nintendo exclusives ever being sold as singles, so for someone to sell it from the starter pack, it will probably cost you a pretty penny.

I don't think I've ever seen used games at Target. Is this a thing now?
It's been going on for at least a year I think. They usually have a small selection of used games and they are usually located in the budget gaming section stacked up against the wall.

I noticed nobody seems to have it for pre sale despite having the standard edition for the wii. Wonder what's going on...

Even if you have the Wii U exclusives, it won't work on other consoles. The cart part was pretty fun, but the controls were very sensitive. The sea vehicle fights are a bit weird.

The vehicle parts in the game are supposedly optional to finish the game, but obviously needed for 100%.

Spitfire might be a little OP, cause one of his attacks is basically a teleport/dash that you can spam.

Last year the dark editions were very hard to get at least where I live. No stores had them in stock unless you preordered at best buy, GS or TRU. Target and Walmart did not stock them in stores. The wii U edition was missing from the BF sales unless I read it wrong. Of course I bought mine at launch last year and I was very pleased with that considering the availability of the Kaos trap. I want the Wii U editon so I bit on that target deal for 74.99. I witnessed the dark edition going for around $200 last Christmas because of the Kaos trap. It will probably only be worse this year with the amiibo scalpers.

Not sure if anyone has been watching the Amazon Prime day sales. Was able to grab 3-Trap packs for $10 and currently they have some Trap Masters for $7. One of them is the dark element Knight Mare.

I picked up a Giants Ninjini from the warehouse deals for about $6 and the Trap Masters Thunderbolt and Short Cut for $7 each.

So I garage sale on the regular and always pick up skylanders when I find them for less than a dollar. I don't really have any doubles yet, minus different "forms" of them (ie: legendary spyro and regular spyro). 

I'm not sure what the rarities look like. Are there any I should actively be looking for? I walk past big boxes of them for a few bucks each all the time. I know there was a mail away variant of one of them, but other than that I don't know much about anything.

I got a Green Gill Grunt the other day. I see it's priced regularly on ebay. What makes it special?

I'm trying to get a full set of these for a quarter a pop haha. I'm patient and regularly find boxes of like 20 of them, so I think it's doable. 

If its the "Green" Gill Grunt I am thinking of it was a exclusive to Wal-Mart. It was a Black Friday special bundle a few years back of a white 4gb XBox 360 and the Spyro Adventures starter set.

So I garage sale on the regular and always pick up skylanders when I find them for less than a dollar. I don't really have any doubles yet, minus different "forms" of them (ie: legendary spyro and regular spyro).

I'm not sure what the rarities look like. Are there any I should actively be looking for? I walk past big boxes of them for a few bucks each all the time. I know there was a mail away variant of one of them, but other than that I don't know much about anything.

I got a Green Gill Grunt the other day. I see it's priced regularly on ebay. What makes it special?

I'm trying to get a full set of these for a quarter a pop haha. I'm patient and regularly find boxes of like 20 of them, so I think it's doable.
Any that look really weird, like flocked (fuzzy) and glow in the dark are special editions and probably rare. Also, Krypt King Trapmaster has been unavailable for ages. Gearshift and Wildfire are also semi-rare.

These amiibo / skylander hybrids - will they be able to be used as a skylander and amiibo at the same time? The amiibos only have enough memory in them to be used in one active game at a time (the ones they unlock passive rewards in take no space), so does that mean you have to use it for either skylanders or amiibo, and have to erase all data to switch, or will these have extra (or separate) memory?

I believe they have 2 chips in them, you have to switch the base to switch it from amiibo to skylander. I think it's a great idea, saves money by getting 2 figures in one. I don't think it could be an amiibo and a skylander on one chip.

bread's done
Back