Official Skylanders Thread

Target Cartwheel has a 50% off coupon for the Trap Team starter pack. ($60>$30) Combine that with the $10 coupon from McDonald's Happy Meals, you could get the game for $20.
Unfortunately the Cartwheel coupon expires today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they have 2 chips in them, you have to switch the base to switch it from amiibo to skylander. I think it's a great idea, saves money by getting 2 figures in one. I don't think it could be an amiibo and a skylander on one chip.
You are correct they have a skylander or amiibo option they will need to be switched before using as either

Target Cartwheel has a 50% off coupon for the Trap Team starter pack. ($60>$30) Combine that with the $10 coupon from McDonald's Happy Meals, you could get the game for $20.
Unfortunately the Cartwheel coupon expires today.
If anyone has an FYE near them check there first, Swap Force is $5 and Trap Team is $6 for the starter packs.

To date I own three Skylander games... the mega pack of the first game, paid $16 at best buy. Then the two mentioned above. 11 figures, 3 games, spent under $30.

I just picked up this deal.  One of the Targets in Winston-Salem, NC still had it available for every platform.  Got the starter pack for $10.  Going to be a good birthday present for my best buddy's kid.  

Does anyone know if Gamestop is/was running a promotion on pre owned Skylanders? If so does anyone knows when it ends? I was in there yesterday picking up a few Skylanders for my little brother and somehow my 25 dollar purchase (3-4 pre owned Skylanders and one New Trap Team Earth trap.) rang up for 15 bucks and I have no idea why because I didn't use any kind of coupon. I only scanned my expired Power Up Rewards card lol

Does anyone know if Gamestop is/was running a promotion on pre owned Skylanders? If so does anyone knows when it ends? I was in there yesterday picking up a few Skylanders for my little brother and somehow my 25 dollar purchase (3-4 pre owned Skylanders and one New Trap Team Earth trap.) rang up for 15 bucks and I have no idea why because I didn't use any kind of coupon. I only scanned my expired Power Up Rewards card lol
They were doing a promotion where you got 50% off if you bought at least 3 used Skylanders/Amiibos/Disney Infinity characters.

Target and Toys R Us have buy one get one 50% off Trap Team figures this week. Not the greatest deal that we have seen, but better than MSRP. Basically the same as buy three get one free if you get four figures.

Target and Toys R Us have buy one get one 50% off Trap Team figures this week. Not the greatest deal that we have seen, but better than MSRP. Basically the same as buy three get one free if you get four figures.
The TRU deal only applies to core figures, does NOT look like it applies to trap masters. Because they add a dollar to the MSRP before it goes on sale, this works out to a bit over $8 per figure. Better than MSRP but very slightly worse than GCU.

Don't know the limits of the Target sale because they haven't applied it online (where they only actually have two figures - Nitro Head Rush and Love Potion Pop Fizz - available for purchase).

Question regarding pre-owned traps: I'm hearing that traps permanently remember which villains have evolved by completing their quest, even when taken to another save file - either your own because Trap Team Nightmare is a separate save file or someone else's because you bought the trap used. I get that some completionist collectors don't like this and need at least two traps per element handy for this reason because they prefer the un-evolved visual (even though you get half as much summon time).  Can you still do that villain's quest to receive credit towards 100% completion?  I.e. if you don't mind being stuck with the evolved form of the villain, is there any other disadvantage to buying used traps? 

Also, has there been any news on whether Swappers and Trap Masters do anything in Superchargers? 

Also, has there been any news on whether Swappers and Trap Masters do anything in Superchargers?
No, most likely nothing special other than be playable. They might have some Traptanium you can break (similar to Giant boxes), but typically there isn't much special use for previous figures. Giants are the only ones to really have long term use in that they can usually destroy bomb walls without bombs. Swappers had no special use in Trap Team.

Works out to $10.38 (pre-tax) for 2 with GCU as they take 48% off of each.
I hate to be "that guy" but shipping kills it. Only a deal if you are within short driving distance to a store. I forgot that under $35 (and you can only use the promo once per order) assigns $2.99 shipper per item, not per order. Basically means if you plan on shipping, and don't have free shipping in place, then you're saving about $2ea. For those who are close to a Fred Meyer, you can get that price or better monthly.

Oh well.

...but maybe more relevant...looks like the deal is dead.

Don't usually visit this thread but just want to make sure everyone knows about the Gamestop Buy 2 get three free deal that has its own thread.  

I hate to be "that guy" but shipping kills it. Only a deal if you are within short driving distance to a store. I forgot that under $35 (and you can only use the promo once per order) assigns $2.99 shipper per item, not per order. Basically means if you plan on shipping, and don't have free shipping in place, then you're saving about $2ea. For those who are close to a Fred Meyer, you can get that price or better monthly.

Oh well.

...but maybe more relevant...looks like the deal is dead.
Assuming you don't get free shipping.

Don't usually visit this thread but just want to make sure everyone knows about the Gamestop Buy 2 get three free deal that has its own thread.
Didn't that deal end yesterday (8/20)? Or am I mistaken? I hope that I am, because there's a GS that I can hit between the transit center & my house!

Didn't that deal end yesterday (8/20)? Or am I mistaken? I hope that I am, because there's a GS that I can hit between the transit center & my house!
I was able to get the deal today 8/21 instore. The deal might go until sunday.

From the other thread: B2G3F Pre-Owned IGF
- Buy any 2 Pre-Owned Interactive Game Figures and Get Three Free. Free items must be equal or lesser value, Offer is subject to availability, and some exclusions may apply. Offer Expires 9/20/2015. -

I was able to get the deal today 8/21 instore. The deal might go until sunday.

From the other thread: B2G3F Pre-Owned IGF
- Buy any 2 Pre-Owned Interactive Game Figures and Get Three Free. Free items must be equal or lesser value, Offer is subject to availability, and some exclusions may apply. Offer Expires 9/20/2015. -
Oh, SEPTEMBER 20th! Thanks for the info!

The target stores around me only have Head Rush and Water traps.
Lol. Targets have nothing but Head Rush and water traps, Best Buys have nothing but Gustos and water traps, and Toys R Us has nothing but shelves full of their exclusive legendaries... and water traps.

It's almost as bad as Amiibos. Stores around here haven't gotten any restocks in four months, and most of the Skylanders sections are 95% empty. It looks really bad from a consumer perspective - especially since the Disney Infinity section right next to them is always well stocked.

Lol. Targets have nothing but Head Rush and water traps, Best Buys have nothing but Gustos and water traps, and Toys R Us has nothing but shelves full of their exclusive legendaries... and water traps.

It's almost as bad as Amiibos. Stores around here haven't gotten any restocks in four months, and most of the Skylanders sections are 95% empty. It looks really bad from a consumer perspective - especially since the Disney Infinity section right next to them is always well stocked.
Disney seems committed to keeping DI stuff stocked and with no rarities. Skylanders and Nintendo don't care.

Disney seems committed to keeping DI stuff stocked and with no rarities. Skylanders and Nintendo don't care.
Disney is using DI to maintain/promote awareness of 13 franchises that EACH drive over a billion in annual sales, some of which haven't had new movies in years, and also advertise new properties (12 figures that we know of so far that release in 2015 for movies that come out this year, only counting the two episode 7 figures shown at D23 and not the rest of the lineup or the classic trilogy folks who appear in the film). So yes, it's in their interest to keep their stuff stocked.

Nintendo clearly did not understand demand at first and has clearly increased production - still selling out but in many cases not for several days (rather than minutes) and it's hard to tell how much of the current demand is would-be resellers and consumers who are terrified they will never have another chance if they don't buy now.

Activision... well, they don't care about the average consumer but they do care about retailers. It was reported on the Toys For Games cast that the reason Kaos traps were such a mess was that retailers had to purchase a full case of traps - paid up front with no refunds for stock that doesn't move - that contained only 2 Kaos traps along with everything else including the life and water traps that have become a joke because you get one of each in the starter so don't really need them. Retailers are taking a loss when they have to dump this junk for $1 (and still have trouble finding takers). Activision actually can't do this to retailers indefinitely without losing orders and shelf space, which may be why we're seeing a shift to a smaller number of higher quality things in Superchargers. Or maybe they're about to announce blind packed elemental hubcaps for our vehicles, you never know.

Activision... well, they don't care about the average consumer but they do care about retailers. It was reported on the Toys For Games cast that the reason Kaos traps were such a mess was that retailers had to purchase a full case of traps - paid up front with no refunds for stock that doesn't move - that contained only 2 Kaos traps along with everything else including the life and water traps that have become a joke because you get one of each in the starter so don't really need them. Retailers are taking a loss when they have to dump this junk for $1 (and still have trouble finding takers). Activision actually can't do this to retailers indefinitely without losing orders and shelf space, which may be why we're seeing a shift to a smaller number of higher quality things in Superchargers. Or maybe they're about to announce blind packed elemental hubcaps for our vehicles, you never know.
OMG, how awesome would customizable RIMS be? Hopefully, they can sell those in the marketplace like all the COW crap! ;)

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I just found out about it and couldn't find it anywhere else. Walmart.com has all 7 giant Skylanders figures for $19.99 with free store pickup. I definitely would be wary of buying any of the used giant figures at gamestops sale right now!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Skylanders-Giants-7-Character-Figure-Bundle-Universal/44786548
I bought 2 used giants at the B2G2 Free several months ago, before Wal-Mart offered this. Skylanders (unlike Infinity and Amiibo) are very sturdy and made to be played with - they even make playsets where they can be used as toys! Visible signs of wear are pretty rare on used figures, and GS claims they clean them before they go on the shelf. If you don't trust them, going over them with a moist towelette or cloth dampened with hand sanitizer should take care of any germs, while not interfering with the electronics. This Wal-Mart deal is by far the best deal on the Giants going, coming in at under $3 a piece new. Even if you already have a few, it's a good deal (I've never paid less than around $5, used or new). Five Below had a ton of Swarms last time I was there for $5 each. Not bad if you only need him.

Lol... just think if you could stack the $10 off coupon on that! ;)
Is there still a skylanders coupon out there? The happy meal ones expired didn't they? Or was there a cereal one too? Can't remember. Some stores won't even let you double dip let alone stack a physical coupon on top of a PM and a cartwheel.

Sub $15 for a starter pack is a pretty nice deal any way you look at it. Under $5 is insane, although with how much shelf space these take up I'm sure most retailers just want them gone at this point.

Is there still a skylanders coupon out there? The happy meal ones expired didn't they? Or was there a cereal one too? Can't remember. Some stores won't even let you double dip let alone stack a physical coupon on top of a PM and a cartwheel.

Sub $15 for a starter pack is a pretty nice deal any way you look at it. Under $5 is insane, although with how much shelf space these take up I'm sure most retailers just want them gone at this point.
Cereal is good until January. I only have one left. Hoping to stack pm, cartwheel, coupon, and redcard. Won't be until later in the week though

The Happy Meal coupons expired 7/31. I went to Best Buy and had them price match Amazon when the price was $24.99. Then I used the $10 off Happy Meal coupon. Got the starter pack for $14.99 plus tax.

The Happy Meal coupons expired 7/31. I went to Best Buy and had them price match Amazon when the price was $24.99. Then I used the $10 off Happy Meal coupon. Got the starter pack for $14.99 plus tax.
My best so far was when GameStop had them for $29.99 with the promo pack Punch Pop Fizz and Promo Pack Tree Rex/Cynder/Jet-Vac and the $10 off coupon. :D

Cereal is good until January. I only have one left. Hoping to stack pm, cartwheel, coupon, and redcard. Won't be until later in the week though
The woman at customer service would probably have let me stack a physical coupon if I had one. She never gives me a hassle about PM'ing sites and using Cartwheel. There is a Jr Detective who works at the same store who is always trying to shut me down on getting any deals especially a PM with cartwheel. He always mean mugs me when he sees me walking in the store. It is kind of funny when you think about it. :beer:

Just an update. Got my trap team starter today for 3ds. PMED target.com for 30.49-cartwheel-10 cereal coupon - red card=5.24+ tax.

Heading to gamestop to trade in the figures since I already own them both. Gusto=6 and barkley=2.

Paid just under 6 bucks for the 3ds game and portal and 9 bucks gs credit.

Today was a good day.

Also, this target I went to PMED at the electronics counter so, I might have found my new favorite target.

Just an update. Got my trap team starter today for 3ds. PMED target.com for 30.49-cartwheel-10 cereal coupon - red card=5.24+ tax.

Heading to gamestop to trade in the figures since I already own them both. Gusto=6 and barkley=2.

Today was a good day.

Also, this target I went to PMED at the electronics counter so, I might have found my new favorite target.
Cool I might have to try that tomorrow in the morning.

Today was a good day.

Damn. Wish I could find the cereal coupon.

Almost as good as 2 months back when one of my local Wally Worlds clearanced out the Trap Team starter packs for $10. Let it also be noted that this WM also had a McDonald's in it. You can do the math on the rest...:)

Damn. Wish I could find the cereal coupon.
I think they did them the end of last year/ beginning of this. You got 2 coupons. 1 dollar off a trap master and 10 dollar off a starter pack. They were on just about every brand of general mills cereal. I had everybody saving them for me and everytime bb did a b1g1 or b1g50 off or whatever I used the coupons.

I thought I had read either here or in the dark spyro forums that this was done for swap force also so keep an eye out after christmas for supercharger coupons.

EDIT: I just found a reddit post that said they came out in February.

Yeah, I remember buying the cereal for the kids earlier this year, but I'm sure that I didn't hang onto the coupons because I had already bought the game for them not thinking that eventually I might want to pick up the 3DS version for $5 during a deal later.  Hindsight and all that...

bread's done
Back