Official Skylanders Thread

So having defeated Chaos and being well on my way to getting the Platinum on Imaginators I have to say that this is hands down the worst Skylanders, and I am surprised that it has gotten as good of a reception here as it has. The praise this gets for the Imaginators is valid, the most fun thing for my daughter was definitely designing her own character, but this comes at a serious cost. This is terrible for the second player. The designing of the character and the endless tinkering as you add parts all leave player 2 with nothing to do. Also many of the mini games or flying parts of this game leave the 2nd player with nothing to do, or play a bit part that is mostly irrelevant.
Throw in that this game is far shorter than the other games and it feels like Skylanders is going out with a wimper with Imaginators.
I honestly enjoyed the hell out of the game, the main levels and bonus levels.

Everything was quite fun, and I enjoyed the the Heist level most of all.

As for my list, from best to worst.

Super Chargers

Swap Force

Imaginators

Spyro

Giants

Trap Team

Trap Team felt like Giants 2.0, and had way, way too many supplemental figures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, If you try to use a superchargers portal in TRAP TEAM, it will register as incompatible.

As far portals go, The trap team portal is by far superior as it will work in all games except the 3DS and mobile ones.

* this was done on the Wii U since I was trying to see if the trap had a variant and could not locate my Ps4 Copy. I'm assuming it would be the same for the other games since it was more the game itself showing the error

As far which portals to keep, I'd suggest Trap Team and then Superchargers as your backup since those are able to accept all figures.
I just wish I could use the Superchargers portal on Trap Team.. so I don't have to listen to the friggan trapped villains!

I honestly enjoyed the hell out of the game, the main levels and bonus levels.
Everything was quite fun, and I enjoyed the the Heist level most of all.

As for my list, from best to worst.
Super Chargers
Swap Force
Imaginators
Spyro
Giants
Trap Team

Trap Team felt like Giants 2.0, and had way, way too many supplemental figures.
Personally, I will take all of the supplemental, unnecessary crap if the game is longer. But Trap Team and Imaginators were my 2 least favorite games in the series because both just felt like cash grabs with all of the extra unnecessary stuff. At least with Trap Team the game was long enough that you may use it. In Imaginators if you bought a Sensei and Imaginator of each type you would only use about 1/3 of it before you realized the game was over, maybe less. My kid and I played through with Tri-Tip and her Imaginator on the normal difficulty and never once had to switch off of those 2 characters because no enemy ever offered even a little challenge (this is not only the shortest, but also the easiest Skylanders game). This being the case what is the incentive to get more of these toys?
I do agree that Swap Force and Superchargers were the 2 best games.

Played Imaginators for like...most of the day. The Tech Sensei level is some tedius bs if you want to do everything in it. Having fun with the rest of it though.

Also, did you (ackbar) kick the difficulty up a notch or two or just leave it at default?
I leave it at default when playing with my kid, and did the same with the other games. This game also lacks the nightmare difficulty trophy, which cuts the replayability of this one.

Complains it's too easy.
Leaves on default difficulty.
You are entirely ignoring that I am speaking relative to the other games. This game is far easier than the others, it wouldn't matter if I had played all of the games on easy, default, hard or nightmare. The default difficulty is way easier in Imaginators than the other games and I am assuming that would hold true for the other settings as well. I have played most other Skylanders games on default and nightmare and this is the only one where neither one of us playing lost a character through the entire first playthrough. If I had upped the difficulty this commentary would be irrelevant because I would be comparing a hard playthrough on Imaginators to default on the others, which would be stupid. And then this game removes the incentive for a nightmare playthrough, which only compounds this problem.

I just wish I could use the Superchargers portal on Trap Team.. so I don't have to listen to the friggan trapped villains!
If you go to settings, you can lower the portal volume from there.

Was bummed out initially when the superchargers portal didn't play the trap sounds, but that was until I actually played trap team again and it was just screaming for attention every few seconds X_X.

As far as best game, I'd say Swap Force is on top for me. Mostly due to being able to utilize characters from other games for a purpose like opening treasures (which I don't understand why they couldn't do that for future games), more variety in mini-games, and that purchasing 2 swap force characters equaled 4.

Removing of the cards/sticker codes made me care less about buying figures new. Those extra items made me opt out in buying used and just waiting for a sale. I do have all figures/variants and just missing a few chase/special events, but I've been caring less about buying figures when they first come out.

If you go to settings, you can lower the portal volume from there.

Was bummed out initially when the superchargers portal didn't play the trap sounds, but that was until I actually played trap team again and it was just screaming for attention every few seconds X_X.

As far as best game, I'd say Swap Force is on top for me. Mostly due to being able to utilize characters from other games for a purpose like opening treasures (which I don't understand why they couldn't do that for future games), more variety in mini-games, and that purchasing 2 swap force characters equaled 4.

Removing of the cards/sticker codes made me care less about buying figures new. Those extra items made me opt out in buying used and just waiting for a sale. I do have all figures/variants and just missing a few chase/special events, but I've been caring less about buying figures when they first come out.
That Swapping mechanic was awesome! I had lots of fun with those!

Skylanders Day

January 14, 2017

Same day the skylanders free coupon ends. Typically if you use it during the b1g1 free it makes the total $0. May or may not have been fixed this time around.

Also, it seems that I still receive coupons during the B1G1. So pretty much b4g5 free, although the coupons are hit and miss. Sometimes they were give me too many, they get into my account a week+ late, or it doesn't register. I've been having this problem since the beginning of the Skylanders Club. 

SkylandersDay.jpg

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! The Sensei prices are the same as the Target deal, but they tend to have a better selection than Target did. The crystals are even cheaper, at $5 each! Too bad I already bought most of them, except Dark (which, if Trap Team is any indication, we'll never see) and Air (since I might buy that Treehouse set if I find a good deal on it). 

Skylanders Day

January 14, 2017

Same day the skylanders free coupon ends. Typically if you use it during the b1g1 free it makes the total $0. May or may not have been fixed this time around.

Also, it seems that I still receive coupons during the B1G1. So pretty much b4g5 free, although the coupons are hit and miss. Sometimes they were give me too many, they get into my account a week+ late, or it doesn't register. I've been having this problem since the beginning of the Skylanders Club.

SkylandersDay.jpg
Free coupon?

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! The Sensei prices are the same as the Target deal, but they tend to have a better selection than Target did. The crystals are even cheaper, at $5 each! Too bad I already bought most of them, except Dark (which, if Trap Team is any indication, we'll never see) and Air (since I might buy that Treehouse set if I find a good deal on it).
From what I've read target had them for about $6 about a month ago or so for the sensei after cartwheel, 10% off day deal and red card from what I understand. The collector in me settled with purchasing them at $10 rather than wait just in case some are harder to find.

I'm hoping this becomes on sale like Superchargers last month:
Bestbuy Gamers unlocked - $2 (Superchargers)
ToysRus - B1G3 free BUT also worked with Buy a Starter Set G1 free which ended up being $20 for DArk Superchargers starter and 4 Free figures

Free coupon?
With Pro Membership, you can sign up for the Skylanders Adventure club. They changed it a few months back to where you only have to buy 4 figures and you get 1 free coupon into your account for $14.99. Which will take off $14.99 from any figure or figure packs for example, Adventure packs, cutting down the Treehouse Set $29.99 to $15 plus tax.

Gamestop customer service is the worst at times, so I just buy figures on sale with the expectation of not always receiving a coupon.

Coupons are generated by figures costing $9.99 and up (at the time not all figures cost that much compared to now where the higher cost helped me out). Adventure packs are supposed to count as 1-2 figures based on what they are, but after buying 6 land racing packs of superchargers I got ZERO coupons. Not sure why, but after having to deal with customer service before, it's more of a waste of time to have them do it.

The terms aren't completely clear since I'm sure the b1g1 is NOT supposed to count, but it has for me. Given it took way longer than the 48 hours but everything matched up.

I'm curious what everyone thinks...

I picked up Swap Force and Trap Team super cheap years ago. (FYE clearance @ $5 per starter pack). Last year I bought some lots and ended up buying every single swap and trap master with eBay deals and the GameStop 10/$20 deal. With that I also ended up getting Superchargers with 15 characters and matching vehicles, plus the Crash version of Imaginators. Suffice to say I now own A LOT of figures.

On to my question: my girlfriend & I recently beat Swap Force on both hard and nightmare. Now we want to move on to another one. Should I move on to Trap Team which is complete minus only the light/dark crystals? Superchargers, nearly complete minus a few extra figures I don't care for, or Imaginators and pick up a few figures from GameStop with the BOGO this weekend?

I would play Trap Team next and follow the order of the series. I know a lot of people didn't like the game but I thought it was great, probably my 3rd favorite in the series after the first 2 games (I haven't played Imaginators yet). Not being able to trap the light and dark villains isn't missing that much if you have traps for the other elements and a trap master of each element.

I also might be recommending Trap Team next because I opened up Superchargers a few days ago and it's been a disappointment for me so far. Between the glitches even with updates (controllers not responding to button presses in the Lightning Bolt puzzle), Spitfire resetting itself every time I remove the figure from the portal and the annoying driving controls in the fixed areas, I'm not liking the game as much as I was expecting. 

Thank you for the feedback Yoshi. We were heavily leaning towards Trap Team next especially since we have every figure and trap. The only reason I was considering Imaginators is because of two reasons: the GameStop sale this weekend, and the fan/forum involvement. I got her a 3DS XL with Pokémon Moon recently and she loves it! Since you can go online, do trades, have active promos, it has more going for it than if I bought her Pokémon X or Y. Would that same mindset apply to Imaginators well since it's current, even if I have only a few figures? Essentially, am I missing out on anything by not playing it while it's a current game?

I'm curious what everyone thinks...

I picked up Swap Force and Trap Team super cheap years ago. (FYE clearance @ $5 per starter pack). Last year I bought some lots and ended up buying every single swap and trap master with eBay deals and the GameStop 10/$20 deal. With that I also ended up getting Superchargers with 15 characters and matching vehicles, plus the Crash version of Imaginators. Suffice to say I now own A LOT of figures.

On to my question: my girlfriend & I recently beat Swap Force on both hard and nightmare. Now we want to move on to another one. Should I move on to Trap Team which is complete minus only the light/dark crystals? Superchargers, nearly complete minus a few extra figures I don't care for, or Imaginators and pick up a few figures from GameStop with the BOGO this weekend?
Initially I would have suggested Imginators since you can utilize all figures and figure out which suits your playstyle, however, since previous skylanders tend to be less powerful and you aren't able to collect hats in imaginators to boost them up, you're kinda just handicapped with your older skylanders. Helps with difficulty, but at times whats the point if you havent actually been able to test out what their abilities are.

I actually am one of the few that enjoyed the trap team gimmick. The game wasn't terrible for me and the characters designs were great as a whole. You're best leveling up the skylanders for the game they belong to to get the most out of the game. Co-op wise, there isn't much the 2nd player can do in superchargers once vehicles come into play. Imaginators is fun and the creating aspect is great, but with two players and constant new items/abilities for your creation, the game isn't as fluid for both.

Story wise you aren't missing much if you jump around.

Although B1G1 free sounds great, you'll have more opportunities to find characters with just as good or better deals the longer you wait. typically around season 4 and 5 tends to have the harder to find ones. So far hoodsickle Normal seems to be the harder ones to find at the moment as well as Regular Chompy Mage which was only released in the Amazon bundle, but both have variant versions so you aren't missing much.

Thank you totoro. As it stands my per figure price is $2 or less. The bulk of mynfigures came from the GameStop 10/$20 deal. We visited nearly 10 GameStops in our travels and bought well over 100 figures between Swap Force, Trap Team, Superchargers, plus Disney 2.0 and 3.0 entire sets. One store was a gold mine netting us every single Trap Team figure and all variants. Bought 40 figures at that one store alone!

My only consideration for buying some Imaginators this weekend, and at a higher PPF (price per figure) would be for the two GameStop exclusive variants. Do those tend to 'rare' down the road? I don't want to miss out, plus I have $10 in credit I'm sitting on.

Thank you for the feedback Yoshi. We were heavily leaning towards Trap Team next especially since we have every figure and trap. The only reason I was considering Imaginators is because of two reasons: the GameStop sale this weekend, and the fan/forum involvement. I got her a 3DS XL with Pokémon Moon recently and she loves it! Since you can go online, do trades, have active promos, it has more going for it than if I bought her Pokémon X or Y. Would that same mindset apply to Imaginators well since it's current, even if I have only a few figures? Essentially, am I missing out on anything by not playing it while it's a current game?
I don't think there is any online play at all, and definitely no trade centers or temporary promos. There's nothing online that will cease to function in the future and have a big detrimental effect on the game.

From what I've read target had them for about $6 about a month ago or so for the sensei after cartwheel, 10% off day deal and red card from what I understand. The collector in me settled with purchasing them at $10 rather than wait just in case some are harder to find.

I'm hoping this becomes on sale like Superchargers last month:
Bestbuy Gamers unlocked - $2 (Superchargers)
ToysRus - B1G3 free BUT also worked with Buy a Starter Set G1 free which ended up being $20 for DArk Superchargers starter and 4 Free figures

With Pro Membership, you can sign up for the Skylanders Adventure club. They changed it a few months back to where you only have to buy 4 figures and you get 1 free coupon into your account for $14.99. Which will take off $14.99 from any figure or figure packs for example, Adventure packs, cutting down the Treehouse Set $29.99 to $15 plus tax.

Gamestop customer service is the worst at times, so I just buy figures on sale with the expectation of not always receiving a coupon.

Coupons are generated by figures costing $9.99 and up (at the time not all figures cost that much compared to now where the higher cost helped me out). Adventure packs are supposed to count as 1-2 figures based on what they are, but after buying 6 land racing packs of superchargers I got ZERO coupons. Not sure why, but after having to deal with customer service before, it's more of a waste of time to have them do it.

The terms aren't completely clear since I'm sure the b1g1 is NOT supposed to count, but it has for me. Given it took way longer than the 48 hours but everything matched up.
Yea, I have one of those coupons.. but was just making sure we weren't talking about a different coupon or deal.

Sadly, all I want is Hood Sickle, who seems to be sold out in my state. Closest one was 50miles north of the closest GameStop.

Thank you totoro. As it stands my per figure price is $2 or less. The bulk of mynfigures came from the GameStop 10/$20 deal. We visited nearly 10 GameStops in our travels and bought well over 100 figures between Swap Force, Trap Team, Superchargers, plus Disney 2.0 and 3.0 entire sets. One store was a gold mine netting us every single Trap Team figure and all variants. Bought 40 figures at that one store alone!

My only consideration for buying some Imaginators this weekend, and at a higher PPF (price per figure) would be for the two GameStop exclusive variants. Do those tend to 'rare' down the road? I don't want to miss out, plus I have $10 in credit I'm sitting on.
I think you're good to go with getting those two variants. When I first started, the harder ones for me was to get a card/code with Polar Whirlwind which was the gamestop exclusive (I started at the end swap force). What drove a lot of the prices down was that gamestop started to accept and sell skylanders. Ebay pretty much took a hard hit. Now that gamestop has stopped accepting trade-ins, I'm starting to see amazon's trade in prices go up on the older figures. *Spitfire for example is at $10.72, Hot Streak at $0.98 so pretty much a good credit mover since the starter is $9.99.

I don't think their current variants will be hard to find, however, at $5 a piece, you're pretty much safe with purchasing them as I have yet to see any b1g2 free on any new figures. The current Price drop for New Superchargers Figure is $5 new so pretty much about the price you'd pay in a year or so.

Currently the only rare gamestop figure is the Light trap Rob Goblin.

Yea, I have one of those coupons.. but was just making sure we weren't talking about a different coupon or deal.

Sadly, all I want is Hood Sickle, who seems to be sold out in my state. Closest one was 50miles north of the closest GameStop.
The figure is in stock to purchase online at toysRus and gamestop. You could possibly try to go into gamestop, request site to store and get on the deal. The managers within my district know me pretty well due to actually doing the surveys (was initially taken back since I thought it was anonymous =P) so hopefully you have the same situation. I've even walked into a few places where the employee asks to have an item shipped to their store so hopefully it would arrive there by Saturday, but more likely than not it wont.

Solely based on trade in rates: It seems the ones that had the highest trade in values that I noticed were, Hood sickle ($12 when first released), Wolfgang ($12), Jingle Bell Chompy Mage ($11 christmas), and Starcast ($13 last week) . Not saying that automatically means those are the hardest since pretty much Amazon rules aren't always predictable, but it helped me figure out which ones I needed to look out for.

Kaos on ebay sold from an Australian seller for a little over $34 about a week ago. Odd since he was given out free. All of these are fairly easy to find at retail.

The only ones I rarely see at Gamestop in Socal are: Regular Bad Juju, Candy Coated Chopscotch, Regular Pit Boss. encountered about 1 throughout 5 gamestops

I decided to stop by my local store and pick up the Imaginators exclusives today since this store is the only one around who has Bad Juju in stock. That and Tae Kwon rang up 2/$20 yet when he totaled it up the 'street date' warning popped up. I ended up just buying Bad Juju and will do a return exchange Saturday to get crow for free.

I picked up Imaginators dark edition for ps4 and got superchargers dark edition on xbox one for free :)

Also picked up Aurora,  Hood Sickle,  Mysticat,  and Tae Kwon Crow at buy 1 get 1 free

Just need to grab the 4 adventure packs when they go on sale and I can go for 100% completion

I think it was mentioned before but Tru has b1g2 on Skylanders (excludes imaginators and starters) and it looks like they got a restock on buzzwing.

Local gamestops didn't have the two I currently need, Wolfgang and Starcast, so useless for me. Hopefully target has another good cartwheel sale in the near future before these guys get too hard to find

I'm just happy I finally got the char that had become my white whale

Now all I need is a Dark Crystal.

Just need to grab the 4 adventure packs when they go on sale and I can go for 100% completion
Except for the first two games (which both used the same packs) at TRU, none of the adventure packs from previous games went on sale for that cheap, ever.

I've only heard of three packs (Crash, Observatory, Treehouse), or did they release another?

Not sure if has been mentioned, but I read an article that you can reset the battle class on a creation crystal if you have a 3DS version of skylanders and the corresponding 3DS portal. You just put the creation crystal on it and it states that it is an unknown device and asks if you want to reset it. Reset it and boom, it is done.

I used this skylander day to get the remaining characters that are out so far and at least 1 each of the creation crystals so far. I am just missing the adventure packs, a dark crystal, and the non-variant versions of a few characters. Also got a bunch of those mystery chest things.

Not sure if has been mentioned, but I read an article that you can reset the battle class on a creation crystal if you have a 3DS version of skylanders and the corresponding 3DS portal. You just put the creation crystal on it and it states that it is an unknown device and asks if you want to reset it. Reset it and boom, it is done.

I used this skylander day to get the remaining characters that are out so far and at least 1 each of the creation crystals so far. I am just missing the adventure packs, a dark crystal, and the non-variant versions of a few characters. Also got a bunch of those mystery chest things.
Supposedly that can also brick the crystal.

YMMV

Supposedly that can also brick the crystal.

YMMV
That's not true. If it were, it would be extensively covered in the places where I read regularly. If you want to be totally honest, simply putting a figure on a portal *could* brick it, the same as simply plugging in a console to the wall *could* brick the console. Any rumors to the contrary I would suspect were spread by TfB themselves, who could have easily provided this feature in game but chose money over players. A simple, fairly accessible reset solution goes against their profit model.

That's not true. If it were, it would be extensively covered in the places where I read regularly. If you want to be totally honest, simply putting a figure on a portal *could* brick it, the same as simply plugging in a console to the wall *could* brick the console. Any rumors to the contrary I would suspect were spread by TfB themselves, who could have easily provided this feature in game but chose money over players. A simple, fairly accessible reset solution goes against their profit model.
True: losing your experience level, upgrades, and any money you had is disincentive enough to not abuse resetting. I've reset most of my crystals more than once, and haven't had any problems except the aforementioned losses.

True: losing your experience level, upgrades, and any money you had is disincentive enough to not abuse resetting. I've reset most of my crystals more than once, and haven't had any problems except the aforementioned losses.
I agree, it is penalty enough to simply lose all progress and money, especially since Imaginators can level up quite high if you have a bunch of Senseis. The problem with making things a "final decision" is that unless you have experimented A LOT, you don't even really know what abilities combine well with what elements. I have been having a blast with making characters, but this whole attempt to force you into buying more stuff is just stupid - I don't see exactly what they were trying to accomplish, they needed to have a breakout year yet they did things to actively piss off players.

And what makes it worse is stores really aren't stocking crystals all that much. Gamestop had a B1G1 this weekend, and the three stores I went had like 1 crystal total AT MOST. I ended ordering six online because I'm enjoying the feature so much and don't want to delete some I already made (which is how they SHOULD have made people want to buy more crystals instead of this final decision shit) and they are coming from six different stores.

I agree, it is penalty enough to simply lose all progress and money, especially since Imaginators can level up quite high if you have a bunch of Senseis. The problem with making things a "final decision" is that unless you have experimented A LOT, you don't even really know what abilities combine well with what elements. I have been having a blast with making characters, but this whole attempt to force you into buying more stuff is just stupid - I don't see exactly what they were trying to accomplish, they needed to have a breakout year yet they did things to actively piss off players.

And what makes it worse is stores really aren't stocking crystals all that much. Gamestop had a B1G1 this weekend, and the three stores I went had like 1 crystal total AT MOST. I ended ordering six online because I'm enjoying the feature so much and don't want to delete some I already made (which is how they SHOULD have made people want to buy more crystals instead of this final decision shit) and they are coming from six different stores.
ToysRUs has tons and they are doing the same sale all week.

I agree, it is penalty enough to simply lose all progress and money, especially since Imaginators can level up quite high if you have a bunch of Senseis. The problem with making things a "final decision" is that unless you have experimented A LOT, you don't even really know what abilities combine well with what elements.
I've found that, since each crystal gives you a choice of four elemental skills, only one of which can be active at a time, in most instances, at least one of these will fit well with whatever battle class you chose. Some skills, like turrets and dash moves, are useful for all battle classes, even if how you use them may differ, such as for melee fighters I most often use to quickly close the distance on enemies, while for my range fighters I'll more likely use them as a means of escape or to instantly reposition myself for a better firing position.

Check your active offers if you're a Powerup Rewards member. I have an offer for $14.99 off any new Skylander figure, so basically one on the house!

EDIT: I'm in the Skylanders Club and forgot.

Went to TRU to pick up the Imaginator expansions. Aside from pit boss, the only figures they had were legendary pit boss and legendary tri tip. Maybe 7 or 8 crystals as well, despite there being enough space devoted to them for 20 times that amount. Had what I wanted though, but may have bought more if they had stuff available.

Mine was cleaned out when I checked a little while back. Haven't checked this week.
Went to TRU to pick up the Imaginator expansions. Aside from pit boss, the only figures they had were legendary pit boss and legendary tri tip. Maybe 7 or 8 crystals as well, despite there being enough space devoted to them for 20 times that amount. Had what I wanted though, but may have bought more if they had stuff available.
Wow, my ToysRUs was still pretty loaded when I picked up my stuff on Sunday. Got both legendary figures, all three expansions, one trap team level pack I hadn't got yet, chopscotch, the Buzzwing vehicle, and the three legendary crystals along with another plain one. When I left they had 4+ of each character except for a few and at least 50+ creation crystals of various types.

bread's done
Back