Official Skylanders Thread

Well, finally got the Dark Crystal, so after I pick up a Pain Yatta, I think it's time to wait until Imaginators hits the dump bins, buy 1 get 2 and 75% off sales.
Looks like they also didn't overproduce them this time. While you might see such a sale full of Auroras and Tri Tips, others such as Kaos and Wolfgang are reportedly already hard to find.

They're going to be adding new scenarios, characters and levels up through 2018.
Imaginators season 2 this fall
Not really. They are going to release the remaining figures, two of which have a new level - that will all be out most likely by May. Their statement was vague, but anyone expecting more than that is probably going to be disappointed. They were obviously in damage control mode for the investors as they were sunsetting yet another previously profitable franchise. Imaginators is done after Wave 5. The only thing they added was the two extra levels - and that was partially due to the Switch release to gin up interest in the remaining figures.

The "Season 2" is Skylanders Academy, the Netflix show - which did well enough for Netflix to contract for another one (and a third). Keeping a streaming show that isn't all that expensive to make is a great deal different than manufacturing figures and developing content for a game, especially when sales are WAY down. Netflix could care less if the game is doing poorly, they just watch how many viewers they have.

They also have a new mobile game planned, but those are cheap to make.

Not really. They are going to release the remaining figures, two of which have a new level - that will all be out most likely by May. Their statement was vague, but anyone expecting more than that is probably going to be disappointed. They were obviously in damage control mode for the investors as they were sunsetting yet another previously profitable franchise. Imaginators is done after Wave 5. The only thing they added was the two extra levels - and that was partially due to the Switch release to gin up interest in the remaining figures.

The "Season 2" is Skylanders Academy, the Netflix show - which did well enough for Netflix to contract for another one (and a third). Keeping a streaming show that isn't all that expensive to make is a great deal different than manufacturing figures and developing content for a game, especially when sales are WAY down. Netflix could care less if the game is doing poorly, they just watch how many viewers they have.

Thanks, this was incredibly informative and pretty well reasoned. I recently caved and bought the switch version of Imaginators since with GCU it was around 50 bucks which is a decent enough price to add it and I was curious to see a 3rd party port on the Switch. That said, as an Imaginators newb I have these questions.

1. Are the level packs worth the full price or even half? They appear to be about 30 bucks for an hour of content. Are the characters and other parts good?

2. It looks like getting adventure packs with senseis is the best way to 100% the game, is that right?

3. Looks like a 3DS and copy of Giants is the only way to reset a crystal, is this still true?

4. We just beat superchargers this weekend and have played everything since swap force. Is it worth perfecting this game? Has there been constant sales on imaginators?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah, I took the info as if they were going to be releasing new waves and levels all through the year.

I LOVE Imaginators as one of the best games in the series, and the last 3 chars I really want.

Disney said the same thing when they didn't announce 4.0
Exactly ... no way they take the public posture that there is nothing planned for 2018 or that the game is potentially cancelled. That would annihilate sales. They can trickle out bits of content here and there through holiday 2017 by slowing their original post-release DLC rollout and then kill the game formally in early 2018.

Imaginators are $10.49 at Target and buy 1 get one 50% at TRU. Close enough to GCU for me to bite and get Grave Clobber, Egg Bomber Airstrike abs Pain Yatta.

Don't see the target price except jingle chompy mage online? And the TRU appears to be online only and I don't see the new wave of characters on their site?

Thanks, this was incredibly informative and pretty well reasoned. I recently caved and bought the switch version of Imaginators since with GCU it was around 50 bucks which is a decent enough price to add it and I was curious to see a 3rd party port on the Switch. That said, as an Imaginators newb I have these questions.

1. Are the level packs worth the full price or even half? They appear to be about 30 bucks for an hour of content. Are the characters and other parts good?

2. It looks like getting adventure packs with senseis is the best way to 100% the game, is that right?

3. Looks like a 3DS and copy of Giants is the only way to reset a crystal, is this still true?

4. We just beat superchargers this weekend and have played everything since swap force. Is it worth perfecting this game? Has there been constant sales on imaginators?
1. The levels are about as long as a single level in the regular game. They have all the hidden goodies, and come with a character you can't get elsewhere. They are also required to get 100%. How much they are worth depends on how important all this is.

2. The level packs are required for 100%, but you need one of each element and battle skill for each sensei, as well as Creation Crystals for each element, not all of which can be obtained through adventure packs, but if you're going for 100% it is more economical to fulfill these requirements through adventure packs when possible.

3. It's Spyro's Adventure, not GIants, and yes, it does work (I've reset all of mine at least once), and is the only way I know to do it.

4. 50% off ($7.50) is the lowest I've seen on senseis, $15-16 is the cheapest I've seen on Adventure packs, and $6 is the lowest I've seen on Creation Crystals. Don't expect the $0.79 sales we got with Superchargers, but Imaginators does have sales. They might sell out, though, so don't think you can wait forever like SC.

1. The levels are about as long as a single level in the regular game. They have all the hidden goodies, and come with a character you can't get elsewhere. They are also required to get 100%. How much they are worth depends on how important all this is.

2. The level packs are required for 100%, but you need one of each element and battle skill for each sensei, as well as Creation Crystals for each element, not all of which can be obtained through adventure packs, but if you're going for 100% it is more economical to fulfill these requirements through adventure packs when possible.

3. It's Spyro's Adventure, not GIants, and yes, it does work (I've reset all of mine at least once), and is the only way I know to do it.

4. 50% off ($7.50) is the lowest I've seen on senseis, $15-16 is the cheapest I've seen on Adventure packs, and $6 is the lowest I've seen on Creation Crystals. Don't expect the $0.79 sales we got with Superchargers, but Imaginators does have sales. They might sell out, though, so don't think you can wait forever like SC.
Thanks! This was extremely helpful! I'll lookout for Adventure packs as the first thing to expand to. To anyone who is interested Imaginators performs pretty well on Switch. It takes a decent hit visually when undocked but still plays well.

My son has been really getting in to Skylanders recently. The 5 figures for $10 at Gamestop has been a godsend. It's crazy that all of them will get knocked down to $1.80 (since I have Pro) each no matter how much the figure actually cost as long as you buy five of them (we had figures that were $19.99 and $15.99 in the system). The Gamestop store that we've been going to brought out huge trash bags of the figures that weren't entered in to the system yet and let us go through it. Apparently one person traded in almost entire collections of Skylanders and Amiibo figures so they have been trying to get rid of them.

My son has been really getting in to Skylanders recently. The 5 figures for $10 at Gamestop has been a godsend. It's crazy that all of them will get knocked down to $1.80 (since I have Pro) each no matter how much the figure actually cost as long as you buy five of them (we had figures that were $19.99 and $15.99 in the system). The Gamestop store that we've been going to brought out huge trash bags of the figures that weren't entered in to the system yet and let us go through it. Apparently one person traded in almost entire collections of Skylanders and Amiibo figures so they have been trying to get rid of them.
Well get what you want while the gettin' is good. They no longer take them in on trade, so if they don't have it - they won't get it in.

Well get what you want while the gettin' is good. They no longer take them in on trade, so if they don't have it - they won't get it in.
So I hear. There's a few more Giants characters he wants but I think at this point we've gotten everything for the older games that he wanted. He's five and learning to read so I picked up the Skylanders Guide that shows all of the characters from Sypro through Trap Team and we've been reading that nightly and he's picked out characters that he liked. Between Five Below, the Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 3 Free and Gamestop I've made out pretty well for him even when it comes to the characters. I got the Wii U version of Giants from Five Below a few years back which he was content with for a while but now he's big in to Trap Team which I got from Gamestop for like $2 and found a Trap portal for a few bucks more (I also got Swap Force for $1 but other than picking up the characters, he hasn't really wanted to play the game). I did buy Superchargers last year for $7.99 at Best Buy but for some reason he hasn't shown much interest in that one. Only thing that sucked was buying the traps for Trap Team. Toys R Us had nothing but the water trap the entire time the sale was going on and then conveniently got every trap (save for Kaos) in stock right after the sale ended.

I had been hoping to wait until Christmas for a sale for Imaginators but he watches some guy named Stampy on Kid's Youtube and became aware of it so my wife wants to buy that for him for Easter.

Imaginators are $10.49 at Target and buy 1 get one 50% at TRU. Close enough to GCU for me to bite and get Grave Clobber, Egg Bomber Airstrike abs Pain Yatta.
This must be YMMV at Target -- they're full price at my local store.

Thanks! This was extremely helpful! I'll lookout for Adventure packs as the first thing to expand to. To anyone who is interested Imaginators performs pretty well on Switch. It takes a decent hit visually when undocked but still plays well.
I'd gladly take a visual hit if it means I can play it on the go.

The Five Below store near me had several Power A Carry & Display cases (Giants version) for $5 each...best deal since Walmart had them on clearance for $10 ages ago.

VM

I've seen Dark Crystals at a few retailers lately. This might be that small window where they're available before disappearing the way the Dark Trap Team traps did. Hopefully there's at least one decent online chance to get it from Toys R Us or Amazon.

Hmm...

https://youtu.be/SpIoPQHYhrw

Has Imaginators hit low prices like the other games yet? Maybe this holiday season? I buy these games when they're around $20 and this is the only one I'm missing. Kinda irks me when I look at my shelf ya know? Haha. 

I think the cheapest it has been is $31.99 with GCU for the full starter pack. The Walmart portal owners pack has been less.

I think the cheapest it has been is $31.99 with GCU for the full starter pack. The Walmart portal owners pack has been less.
Yes, the portal owner's pack was down to like $15 or $16, but it doesn't include the characters. It's useful only if you want to buy it on more than one platform. There's little doubt it will be cheaper at some point, especially when they can't hide the discontinuation any longer, but the dark crystals and at least certain characters may be impossible to find by then.

Thanks guys! I just usually play the game with the 2 characters included, but I gotta have crash so I've been keeping an eye out for that haha. Almost bought when he was in sale.

I yardsale so I find a lot of Skylanders. I probably have 30 of them I'd guess, and I never pay more than 50 cents each. It makes my retro game hunting less disappointing because lots of people have Skylanders and like 1 in 50 has retro games haha.

Thanks guys! I just usually play the game with the 2 characters included, but I gotta have crash so I've been keeping an eye out for that haha. Almost bought when he was in sale.

I yardsale so I find a lot of Skylanders. I probably have 30 of them I'd guess, and I never pay more than 50 cents each. It makes my retro game hunting less disappointing because lots of people have Skylanders and like 1 in 50 has retro games haha.
Never thought of yardsales as a source for Skylanders. Very smart. I've been very stupid during this whole Toys to Life thing, I bought into all four of the major franchises (Amiibo, Infinity, Dimensions, and Skylanders) and thought 40-50% off was a good deal (except for Amiibos, where just finding them for retail was a good deal). The result is that I spent hundreds of dollars on Skylanders alone that I could probably get today (minus Imaginators) for less than $50.

If anyone is interested in them, I ended up finding most of the Trap Team Minis and the Nightmare Express and Mirror of Mystery Adventure packs at 5 Below, so if you have any of them local to you, it might be worth the trip.
(Plus, you can pick up a copy of Battleborn while you're at it. Poor 2K Games, Overwatch just slaughtered that game.) 

The expansions now popped up at five below?

Edit: realized I have no need for either truly, since I own Deja Vu and Blades from ebay auctions. Plus I've never once used any expansions items... no idea how they work really.

They also come with a magic item like an extra weapon that can be used for around 30 seconds per level as well as the level piece that unlocks an extra full level although not part of the story mode.

Is there a reason the dark crystals are so sought after?
The Dark Traps were released in very limited quantities for Trap Team. It's why they're going for $50+ each on Ebay. The Dark Crystals were also the only ones you could not buy upon release - they could only be bought in the Dark edition sets, or in a multi-pack. Because of this, there is speculation that they might be (or become) hard to find.

Toys R Us had a sign up stating that all single characters amd vehicles were $2.99. Didnt say anything about Imaginators being excluded. Of course it required an override, but I got one of each that I needed.

Thanks. Going to toss this in my 5 y/o's Easter basket. Can't beat $2.99 w/ free shipping (if you or someone you know has Prime.) A few clicks while I am sitting here and it will be delivered. Closest TRU is 45 min away plus nightmare traffic. Unless you live in a major city, TRU has made themselves irrelevant by closing nearly every store within a reasonable drive. Other stores like Kmart have done the same.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

My toys r us lists imaginators as excluded... Still picked up a few supercharger characters we needed. Thrillipeed and his winged vehicle. They did have the new tiki adventure pack in Stock but it was full price $30 so passed

I was hoping to find an Elite Dino Rang, as it's the only one I'm missing, but the stacks of Eon's Elites they had before today were all mostly gone. It figures since I passed him up a few times before in favor of the other Elites that I overpaid for in the past.

I did manage to find a Knight Mare and a Knight Light, so a winner is me. Also bought a few old uncommon SwapForce figures I was missing.

Apologies if it was said and I missed it but used Skylanders are now 5 for $5 at Gamestop, no matter how much they originally cost.

Apologies if it was said and I missed it but used Skylanders are now 5 for $5 at Gamestop, no matter how much they originally cost.
Thanks for sharing this, most of the ones that had a decent amount last week when they were 5 for $10 were cleared out today, the manager said his friend bought like $150 worth. Crazy. I did manage to find a Chibi Robo Amiibo "used" (although still in the packaging) for around $1.50, which still made it worth the trip.

Question for those in the know, the website still lists a decent amount of used Skylanders, if one was to buy them online, could they return them in store and buy them at the lower price? Long shot, but...

Just found out the hard way that I can't use the SuperChargers portal for 3DS with Swap Force 3DS. Weird, becuase the SuperChargers 3DS portal works fine with Trap Team 3DS.

Anyway, does anyone have a Swap Force 3DS portal that is collecting dust and they'd be willing to part with? Gave my 5 y/o Swap Force for 3DS and now I have to track down its portal before he can play. So far, no luck finding it locally at GameStop pre-owned.

Thanks!

Figure I'd ask some of the experts here...

If I have a working portal from Superchargers, a few old Skylanders, and a disc only copy of Imaginators, could I play Imaginators? Or is a crystal required? Just asking because I don't care about character creation, and disc only copies are cheap pre-owned at Gamestop.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Figure I'd ask some of the experts here...

If I have a working portal from Superchargers, a few old Skylanders, and a disc only copy of Imaginators, could I play Imaginators? Or is a crystal required? Just asking because I don't care about character creation, and disc only copies are cheap pre-owned at Gamestop.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Crystals are not required, but are quite fun.
Also older characters seem severely nerfed.

bread's done
Back