Official Sony Press Release: PSP US Launch Info

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']If it's true, then it's one of the dumbest things ever said in the video game industry. That sort of cocky crap got Trip Hawkins boucned from EA.[/quote]

Trip Hawkins has said a lot of outlandish stuff over the years. He seems to have built himself one heck of an inflated ego from watching EA rise to ridiculous heights over the years. The fact that he's failed miserably since leaving there suggests that much of EA's success came in spite of (rather than because of) Hawkins being there. I hope he enjoys eating his own Digital Chocolate.

[quote name='shipwreck']The facts don't lie.

Those aren't exactly facts that support most people have had to buy 2 or 3 PS1's and 2 or 3 PS2's. It's much more likely that most haven't. I could just as easily get a large sampling of people who have only needed to buy one of each system. Using the broken PS2 theory for why there have been so many PS2's sold is ridiculous. It's contributed some to the number, but it's not as big of a factor as some people make it out to be.[/quote]

Keep telling yourself that Sony builds quality products. It has contributed to the number without a doubt. People have also traded in there older generation consoles for newer ones. How many console revisions does the PS2 have exactly??? The launch PS2 would overheat while playing DVD's because it wouldn't stop spinning the discs. There are articles upon articles and forums that back this up. Do a google search.

I am not at all saying that the Playstation and PS2 haven't done well. But look at it this way... Ask any gamer what the worst system is this generation for reliability and they will say the PS2. If everyone says that...there must be a reason. Yes there are cases that go both ways as some people still have their launch PS2's but this still doesn't make up for the other PSP issues...not replacing dead pixel machines, square button, so on and so forth. I would much rather give Nintendo $250 because I know if I have a problem they will FIX it.

I am skeptical about the REAL numbers. Even just one person stating that they are on their 3rd PS2 is alarm enough for me.

[quote name='jkam']
Keep telling yourself that Sony builds quality products. It has contributed to the number without a doubt. People have also traded in there older generation consoles for newer ones. How many console revisions does the PS2 have exactly??? The launch PS2 would overheat while playing DVD's because it wouldn't stop spinning the discs. There are articles upon articles and forums that back this up.[/quote]

I use a number of Sony products on a regular basis, but will readily admit that their level of quality control has fallen over the years. Seeing as the bulk of the PS2s are now manufactured in mainland China, I don't expect the same level of durability as my unit, which was produced in Japan (which I've owned since launch and works without a hitch, logging 5-10 hours of playing time, on average, per week).

People who trade in their older PS2s for the slimmer models do so for a number of reasons; to assume that the predominant reason is the replacement of a defective unit would be an erroneous presumption on your part. Some do it purely for aesthetic reasons, i.e. simply want a slimmer model because a) it looks better, and/or b) saves space. I personally know two people who replaced their PS2s strictly for cosmetic reasons.

Console revisions are pursued for a variety of reasons. In Sony's case, most of the design revisions undertaken were done for cost-saving measures, i.e. to lower production costs. By doing so, Sony ensures profitability, even when the PS2 receives a price drop. Microsoft may have turned a profit in the last quarter, but they will never break even on console production costs. Microsoft's entertainment division has lost hundreds of millions of dollars since the Xbox's release, but they will persist in bleeding red to claim their stake of the gaming console pie. Check any of their financial statements for the past two fiscal years - their gaming division is the only one to not turn a profit in the entire company.

As for the DVD issue, I have yet to experience it. Then again, I haven't used my PS2 for playing DVDs in over a year, as I have two standalone DVD players, as well as a DVD-ROM drive.

[quote name='jkam']
I am not at all saying that the Playstation and PS2 haven't done well. But look at it this way... Ask any gamer what the worst system is this generation for reliability and they will say the PS2. If everyone says that...there must be a reason. Yes there are cases that go both ways as some people still have their launch PS2's but this still doesn't make up for the other PSP issues...not replacing dead pixel machines, square button, so on and so forth. I would much rather give Nintendo $250 because I know if I have a problem they will FIX it.[/quote]

You've fallen on generalizations to lend credence to an otherwise weak argument. Fact is, if you don't take proper care of your equipment, regardless of whom the manufacturer is, the likelihood of imminent failure increases substantially. Considering the shape of the consoles and discs turned in by consumers for trade-in purposes, is it any wonder that the PS2's functional life is drastically reduced? I've read and witnessed my fair share of consoles in poor shape; this is why I would never buy a refurbished console, regardless of the company.

Also, lemons from the factory are a given. By industry standards, it's understood and accepted that roughly 2% of all goods originating from a factory are likely to be defective prior to shipping at retailers. Companies are always striving to improve their quality control, but it's a given that some of us are unfortunate enough to end up with a bad product, and it has nothing to do with the quality of care exercised.

BTW, the warranty on N. American PSPs have been extended to one year by Sony (can't remember what it was for Japanese PSPs; I think it's somewhere between 30-90 days). Generally, if something goes wrong with any piece of electronic equipment, it will crop up within the first 30 days of ownership. As for the number of returns due to the locked Square button, as a percentage of the units shipped, it's not bad by any measure. We're talking well under 1% of all units shipped. It's always an unfortunate situation if/when someone experiences a defect of any sort, but let's be realistic with our expectations. Another problem blown way out of proportion is the dead pixel issue. There are only a handful of companies throughout the world who manufacture and supply LCD screens; as stringent as the QC is, dead pixels are a fact of life during the production process, as the reason for their emergence cannot be properly traced. This problem could affect anyone who uses a product with a LCD screen, whether it's a PSP, Nintendo DS, cellular phone, notebook computers, televisions, etc. No one is immune from the problem; all you can do is cross your fingers and hope that you're one of the lucky few with a trouble-free unit.

Trip Hawkins has said a lot of outlandish stuff over the years. He seems to have built himself one heck of an inflated ego from watching EA rise to ridiculous heights over the years. The fact that he's failed miserably since leaving there suggests that much of EA's success came in spite of (rather than because of) Hawkins being there. I hope he enjoys eating his own Digital Chocolate.

fucking OUCH.

My point was that people get sick of ego maniacs. Next thing you know, Sony will play We Are the Champions at E3.

Sorry, I can't support a company that said it's OK if the PSP has some (or several) flaws because Sony is smart and PSP is a masterpiece. fuck them.

[quote name='PrivatePixel']

People who trade in their older PS2s for the slimmer models do so for a number of reasons; to assume that the predominant reason is the replacement of a defective unit would be an erroneous presumption on your part. Some do it purely for aesthetic reasons, i.e. simply want a slimmer model because a) it looks better, and/or b) saves space. I personally know two people who replaced their PS2s strictly for cosmetic reasons.
[/quote]

I realize that people trade in there consoles for looks, size etc. I never said the predominant reason for trading it in was because it was defective but I also did not mention that people trade them in because they want the newer model for looks so you got me there. YET this scenario....the 2 people you know have bought 4 PS2's between them which lends to WHAT ARE THE REAL NUMBERS??? I mean out of 80 million units sold how many are in households ??? It makes Sony's sales look really great though. I don't think too many gamecube owners have bought 2.

Console revisions are pursued for a variety of reasons. In Sony's case, most of the design revisions undertaken were done for cost-saving measures, i.e. to lower production costs. By doing so, Sony ensures profitability, even when the PS2 receives a price drop. Microsoft may have turned a profit in the last quarter, but they will never break even on console production costs. Microsoft's entertainment division has lost hundreds of millions of dollars since the Xbox's release, but they will persist in bleeding red to claim their stake of the gaming console pie. Check any of their financial statements for the past two fiscal years - their gaming division is the only one to not turn a profit in the entire company.
[/quote]

Yes revisions are done for a number of reasons...but when SONY themselves say we know about the battery life of the PSP don't worry we are working on it tells me this:

I will buy it now and then down the road when you get it right I will have to pay more for it again. Why not just get it right the first time? Nintendo does.

You've fallen on generalizations to lend credence to an otherwise weak argument. Fact is, if you don't take proper care of your equipment, regardless of whom the manufacturer is, the likelihood of imminent failure increases substantially. Considering the shape of the consoles and discs turned in by consumers for trade-in purposes, is it any wonder that the PS2's functional life is drastically reduced? I've read and witnessed my fair share of consoles in poor shape; this is why I would never buy a refurbished console, regardless of the company.

Also, lemons from the factory are a given. By industry standards, it's understood and accepted that roughly 2% of all goods originating from a factory are likely to be defective prior to shipping at retailers. Companies are always striving to improve their quality control, but it's a given that some of us are unfortunate enough to end up with a bad product, and it has nothing to do with the quality of care exercised.

BTW, the warranty on N. American PSPs have been extended to one year by Sony (can't remember what it was for Japanese PSPs; I think it's somewhere between 30-90 days). Generally, if something goes wrong with any piece of electronic equipment, it will crop up within the first 30 days of ownership. As for the number of returns due to the locked Square button, as a percentage of the units shipped, it's not bad by any measure. We're talking well under 1% of all units shipped. It's always an unfortunate situation if/when someone experiences a defect of any sort, but let's be realistic with our expectations. Another problem blown way out of proportion is the dead pixel issue. There are only a handful of companies throughout the world who manufacture and supply LCD screens; as stringent as the QC is, dead pixels are a fact of life during the production process, as the reason for their emergence cannot be properly traced. This problem could affect anyone who uses a product with a LCD screen, whether it's a PSP, Nintendo DS, cellular phone, notebook computers, televisions, etc. No one is immune from the problem; all you can do is cross your fingers and hope that you're one of the lucky few with a trouble-free unit.[/quote]

I would agree that taking care of your console is important but there are the people who take care of their machine and it fails anyway. This does not fall into the 2% because those machines are factory defective. I am talking about the console running for 2 years and then calls it quits. I too am amazed at what people do to there systems, games, etc. (SAVAGES!!!)
I own a Nintendo, a Super Nintendo, a Genesis all of which have been going strong since launch. Yes they are cartridge based and less sensitive but you can beat on them all you want and they still work. Am I making a generalization when the PS2 has such a horrible track record? I don't remember too many threads about the old 8-bit Nintendo giving Cartridge Read Errors. Why is it too much to ask for a system to last 10 or more years?

As for the dead pixel units...I never said it wasn't a problem with all other devices but Nintendo will ship you a new unit if your system has them. Sony will turn their nose up and say too bad!!!! If I spent $250 on the system and it had 3 dead pixels I would be furious.

[quote name='"jkam"'][quote name='shipwreck']
I am not at all saying that the Playstation and PS2 haven't done well. But look at it this way... Ask any gamer what the worst system is this generation for reliability and they will say the PS2. If everyone says that...there must be a reason. Yes there are cases that go both ways as some people still have their launch PS2's but this still doesn't make up for the other PSP issues...not replacing dead pixel machines, square button, so on and so forth. I would much rather give Nintendo $250 because I know if I have a problem they will FIX it.
[/quote]

I would to agree with you on this. I had to replace my PS1 twice. I was on the 3rd system before PS2 arrived. many of the problem would be DRE. and games not loading up. I only had to replace my PS2 Once because of the same damn problem. overall Sony has badass games compared to the other current system. but make really poor quality system. I never had to replace my xbox or gamecube and never ran into any problem. and I got these system during lanuch.

As of recently I don't currently own a PS2 system, the PS2 started having trouble playing the Blue ps2 disc & DVD movie. so I traded it in. plannign to pick up a PS2 slim in spring when the price drops after E3. hope many of these problem are fixed but who knows.

The 1st gen PSP will be loaded with buggs and defects or watever. You can bet your $250 on that.

I feel as if Sony is forceing us to buy a PSP value, by not offering a basic package. $250 and you get no playable demo. spider 2 movie & another UMD with game videos. so they force you to shell out another $50 plus taxes to even play it in the 1st place. atleast the DS came with a playable demo. so expect to pay $320 to even play the damn thing.

[quote name='"Spoon_si"'][quote name='jkam'][quote name='shipwreck']
[/quote]

I would to agree with you on this. I had to replace my PS1 twice. I was on the 3rd system before PS2 arrived. many of the problem would be DRE. and games not loading up. I only had to replace my PS2 Once because of the same damn problem. overall Sony has badass games compared to the other current system. but make really poor quality system. I never had to replace my xbox or gamecube and never ran into any problem. and I got these system during lanuch.

As of recently I don't currently own a PS2 system, the PS2 started having trouble playing the Blue ps2 disc & DVD movie. so I traded it in. plannign to pick up a PS2 slim in spring when the price drops after E3. hope many of these problem are fixed but who knows.

The 1st gen PSP will be loaded with buggs and defects or watever. You can bet your $250 on that.

I feel as if Sony is forceing us to buy a PSP value, by not offering a basic package. $250 and you get no playable demo. spider 2 movie & another UMD with game videos. so they force you to shell out another $50 plus taxes to even play it in the 1st place. atleast the DS came with a playable demo. so expect to pay $320 to even play the damn thing.[/quote]

launch ps2 no problems b/ my launch x-box wld freeze on hot shots golf and other games. i sent it in and have not had any problems since. i also am a little ticked w/ this bundle. i do not want that flimsy case/sleeve but a hard case. lets not forget that there are threads on this board detailing how people have had issues w/ their ds's as well. it is the risk u take w/ new hardware.

I just made my mind up.
As much love I got for PSP, I aint getting it.
I don't like their marketing strategy. I want the PSP only not a package and I'm not paying $50 for a damn portable game.

You should just pick up a Leapster.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Sony seems intent to prove that they are the exception to the rule. They aren't. A handheld priced over $150 has never done well. NEVER. Including a movie instead of a game is really the last straw. $300 + Tax for a system that...

-Has bad controls

-launches discs (and I don't mean loads up... I mean shoots discs like Ninja Stars for shaq-fu's sake)

-has extremely limited battery life (my friend with the imported PSP says he gets 2 1/2 hour tops on Ridge Racer. Others get 4 hours. 3 Hours. Sounds like not all PSP batteries are created equal).

-Can't play a 2 hour movie without the battery failing (and you get less battery life playing movies then playing games.)

-Has a fragile screen

-Has a limited amount of memory on a memory stick

-is $190 more expensive (with a game) then an SP with a game.

-is about $110 more expensive then a DS with a game

Sorry, I don't think the whole "Nintendo is for kids, Sony is for adults" thing is going to make a difference. The PSP isn't the god-sent piece of hardware that people thought it was. It can't play movies more then 2 horus long, has horrible controls, and now is overpriced. And I haven't even brought up the horrible glitches that effect 1 in 4 units... glitches that Sony's policy on is "See no evil, hear no evil, yes we're evil".[/quote]

You guys are idiots (some of you).

Face the facts; most PSP systems DO NOT LAUNCH THEIR DISCS, there is a battery-extender coming on the market, you can buy bigger memory cards, its graphics are a generation away from the DS's, and some discs spin more than other so they take more power (yeah I'm essentially reading what Survivor Charlie wrote, and responding to it).

But with all that--I still won't buy it at launch.

This is the kind of package I would pay $250 for:

-PSP
-Charger
-Battery
-Battery Extender
-HARD Case
-Cleaning Cloth
-PLAYABLE Demo
-64mb Memory Card

Then I'm sold.

I consider myself told. Most PSP units don't launch discs? Funny enough, nearly every magazine/website has experienced a PSP that launches discs. And the non-working X button that Sony claims is a masterpiece of design. Did I miss something?

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']

I consider myself told. Most PSP units don't launch discs? Funny enough, nearly every magazine/website has experienced a PSP that launches discs. And the non-working X button that Sony claims is a masterpiece of design. Did I miss something?[/quote]

First of all, its the square button that doesn't work.

Second of all--what makes more news? Computers crashing or computers working? Cars exploding or cars functioning? Buildings toppling or buildings standing?

I think my point is made.

[quote name='Rabid Mammal Wax'][quote name='Survivor Charlie']

I consider myself told. Most PSP units don't launch discs? Funny enough, nearly every magazine/website has experienced a PSP that launches discs. And the non-working X button that Sony claims is a masterpiece of design. Did I miss something?[/quote]

First of all, its the square button that doesn't work.

Second of all--what makes more news? Computers crashing or computers working? Cars exploding or cars functioning? Buildings toppling or buildings standing?

I think my point is made.[/quote]

While it is true that most people pay attention more to the most exaggerated problems in a situation than the do the norms, your argument goes against you as well. Has a Nintendo system ever had this type of backlash? The DS had dead-pixels, that was limited and it got fixed. I know we don't have the PSP here yet... but the amount of noise made over the PSP's hardware problems is the most noise I've heard since the whole DC launch GD-ROM debacle.

The issue isn't whether or not the machine has bugs. All machines will have bugs to a certain extent. The issue is that Sony has pretty much told everyone that they are brilliant, everyone else is stupid, and if there is a problem in the design of the PSP you can love it or you can shove it. That's a pretty crappy attitude to have when you're trying to build a user base from the ground up. So call me cynical, but I don't neccesarly trust a company that's attitude is 'yeah, we're fucking over an unsuspecting public by releasing a flawed machine. Yeah, we know it's buggy. Who are you to judge? It's a masterpiece, damnit." I wouldn't put up with such attitude from a five year old, let alone a multi-billion dollar electronics company.

Nintendo got complaints about the original design of the DS. They redesigned it months before launch because they wanted customers to have a perfect machine. Sony's response to their busted system? "Yeah, it's got flaws, but it's ok, because it's flawless." Does that make sense? No? Well that's their attitude. It's flawed but flawless.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']The issue isn't whether or not the machine has bugs. All machines will have bugs to a certain extent. The issue is that Sony has pretty much told everyone that they are brilliant, everyone else is stupid, and if there is a problem in the design of the PSP you can love it or you can shove it. That's a pretty crappy attitude to have when you're trying to build a user base from the ground up. So call me cynical, but I don't neccesarly trust a company that's attitude is 'yeah, we're shaq-fuing over an unsuspecting public by releasing a flawed machine. Yeah, we know it's buggy. Who are you to judge? It's a masterpiece, damnit." I wouldn't put up with such attitude from a five year old, let alone a multi-billion dollar electronics company.

Nintendo got complaints about the original design of the DS. They redesigned it months before launch because they wanted customers to have a perfect machine. Sony's response to their busted system? "Yeah, it's got flaws, but it's ok, because it's flawless." Does that make sense? No? Well that's their attitude. It's flawed but flawless.[/quote]

It wasn't Sony's response, it was never in an official release, it was ONE ENGINEER'S STATEMENT.

I still have a launch ps1 (refurbed from funcoland and a launch ps2 and they've never had a problem. At least they were around the launch (within 1-3 months). I think I'm the only one who can claim that.

[quote name='Rabid Mammal Wax'][quote name='Survivor Charlie']The issue isn't whether or not the machine has bugs. All machines will have bugs to a certain extent. The issue is that Sony has pretty much told everyone that they are brilliant, everyone else is stupid, and if there is a problem in the design of the PSP you can love it or you can shove it. That's a pretty crappy attitude to have when you're trying to build a user base from the ground up. So call me cynical, but I don't neccesarly trust a company that's attitude is 'yeah, we're shaq-fuing over an unsuspecting public by releasing a flawed machine. Yeah, we know it's buggy. Who are you to judge? It's a masterpiece, damnit." I wouldn't put up with such attitude from a five year old, let alone a multi-billion dollar electronics company.

Nintendo got complaints about the original design of the DS. They redesigned it months before launch because they wanted customers to have a perfect machine. Sony's response to their busted system? "Yeah, it's got flaws, but it's ok, because it's flawless." Does that make sense? No? Well that's their attitude. It's flawed but flawless.[/quote]

It wasn't Sony's response, it was never in an official release, it was ONE ENGINEER'S STATEMENT.[/quote]

Actually, it wasn't one engineer's statement as you claim. It was the president of Sony Computer Entertainment - Ken Kutaragi. That's a big difference.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/24/news_6116985.html

[quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='Rabid Mammal Wax'][quote name='Survivor Charlie']The issue isn't whether or not the machine has bugs. All machines will have bugs to a certain extent. The issue is that Sony has pretty much told everyone that they are brilliant, everyone else is stupid, and if there is a problem in the design of the PSP you can love it or you can shove it. That's a pretty crappy attitude to have when you're trying to build a user base from the ground up. So call me cynical, but I don't neccesarly trust a company that's attitude is 'yeah, we're shaq-fuing over an unsuspecting public by releasing a flawed machine. Yeah, we know it's buggy. Who are you to judge? It's a masterpiece, damnit." I wouldn't put up with such attitude from a five year old, let alone a multi-billion dollar electronics company.

It wasn't Sony's response, it was never in an official release, it was ONE ENGINEER'S STATEMENT.[/quote]

Actually, it wasn't one engineer's statement as you claim. It was the president of Sony Computer Entertainment - Ken Kutaragi. That's a big difference.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/24/news_6116985.html[/quote]

Yep, good ol' Ken.

His remarks in that press conference was actually funny to me. It made me laugh and definitely cemented my decision in not getting a PSP until it gets a lot cheaper, has better games, gets more durable and the company makes a committment to manufacturing high-quality hardware.

Heck from that short little list I made, it kinda looks like I may never pick up a PSP.

bread's done
Back