Oh noes, Demonoid shut down by the CRIA!

norkusa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Another one bites the dust. First Torrentspy and ISO Hunt blocks US users from their trackers, now Demonoid is shut down:

http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-shut-down-by-cria-070925/

Who will be next? Pirate Bay? (never really liked them anyway though...search engine sucks terribly) There's been a lot of P2P crackdowns in the US lately. Even Comcast is throttling P2P upload speeds. Can this be the beginning of the end of P2P in N America?

I guess I should start thinking about getting a Giganews subscription. :whistle2:(

[quote name='crystalklear64']Oh lame. I actually liked Demonoid enough to have registered with them.

Doom for P2P? lol. Never. Fire up mIRC.[/QUOTE]Demonoid sucked anyways. Private trackers and IRC FTMFW.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Demonoid sucked anyways. Private trackers and IRC FTMFW.[/quote]
I concur. Doesn't affect me in the slightest.

and LOL, getting shut down by Canadians...

It's still too early to tell. Nobody really knows what's going on.

Edit: And Torrentspy/ISOHunt are still up and easy to find their stuff.

How exactly do you grab files with IRC? Are there rooms you go to and just grab whatever you want? I never really understood how that all works.
Is it kind of like grabbing stuff from binary newsgroups?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Edit: And Torrentspy/ISOHunt are still up and easy to find their stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but they recently blocked access to US users. I guess you can search the sites but when you try to download something, it doesn't let you connect. Or is there a way around that?

Damn it Demonoid was my fave, I had 189 gig up and 139 down. anybody have any invites for me to anything? I have been out of the loop and all I have now is UKnova. I would appreciate any invites, VDUB

Eh demonoid wasn't my favorite site but I still had a lot uploaded there and usually never had trouble finding things I needed on there. hope they'll come back.

That sucks. Demonoid was my main site. Now all I have is Pirate Bay and maybe TorrenLeech if they open their registrations again.

how the fuck did CRIA shut down demonoid. They are useless. They started doing stuff like the RIAA was doing and a bunch of labels left the group lol
I can't believe they managed to bring down demonoid. That's got to be embarassing.

Damn it! *Initateing Purge of System files* Demonoid was my favorite. Speaking of which, does anyone have a favorite complete HDD encryption program?

Well, crap. I've been trying to access the site for the past few days and had no idea this was the case. I thought they had IP banned me for having an atrocious ratio for being too good of a user.

:-({|=

shit. I had downloaded over 50+ gigs from them. hundreds of jazz cds. now where am I supposed to go? mininova?

[quote name='eldergamer']shit. I had downloaded over 50+ gigs from them. hundreds of jazz cds. now where am I supposed to go? mininova?[/QUOTE]

Oink is the only site you need to go to for music torrents. I found so much obscure stuff there that I couldn't find anywhere else, it's crazy.

[quote name='norkusa']Oink is the only site you need to go to for music torrents. I found so much obscure stuff there that I couldn't find anywhere else, it's crazy.[/quote]

Yeah, I have to admit that they do have a pretty good jazz section (the only thing that does bug me is a lot of acid jazz gets thrown into the electronic section)

Man I had 180+GBs downloaded and 200GBs uploaded so I used it alot.

Hmm now I need a OiNK invite so I can at least download good music.

Well there goes my favourite torrent site. This is probably pointless but does anyone have an OiNk invite they wouldn't mind giving me?

A damn shame, I used Demonoid all the time as well. What private torrent sites are you few referring to? PM me if you must, I need to find an alternative quick!

This reminds me when Suprnova shut down, I was so lost.

Well, suprnova is BACK, although it is currently only a shell of its former self...

I didnt have any invites to any of the other torrent sites, as demonoid was all i really used. :( Now i guess i should go scrambling for one... meh, stupid, if ya ask me. (shutting them down i mean). I wonder if oink ever does open registration

Maybe I should get back into Torrents again... I leveled off after my ISP throttled my UL/DL from 80k/sec to 1-2k/sec. Perhaps once I move I'll find out what Oink really is.

[quote name='Caliburn']Maybe I should get back into Torrents again... I leveled off after my ISP throttled my UL/DL from 80k/sec to 1-2k/sec.[/QUOTE]

Lemme guess....Comcast?

if anyone has an invite to Oink, please PM me...i was good with demonoid forgot what the ratio was, but i had a bit more upload than download, so i'm not a total leech

[quote name='reicaden']Well, suprnova is BACK, although it is currently only a shell of its former self...[/QUOTE]

What's the deal with this site? Never used Suprnova before but I just tried to browse the torrents and it's saying I have to pay a monthly fee to register.

[quote name='norkusa']What's the deal with this site? Never used Suprnova before but I just tried to browse the torrents and it's saying I have to pay a monthly fee to register.[/QUOTE]

Classic scam site.

[quote name='norkusa']What's the deal with this site? Never used Suprnova before but I just tried to browse the torrents and it's saying I have to pay a monthly fee to register.[/QUOTE]

The original suprnova was laid out very nicely, easy to browse, packed with torrents for popular and lesser known stuff, well seeded, and had a great forum community, with boards for each category and good moderation to clear out the usual half-wits. About as good as it gets for a public torrent site.

Hey guys try araditracker.com it doesn't have a terrible amount of different releases of stuff but the ones they do are really fast. Also if you request something, someone will actually upload it promptly. It doesn't always have everything though so make sure to have backups.

Just a bit of caution for giving out oink invites, they really crack down on people who give invites to leechers who maintain a poor ratio. Even if your ratio is okay, be careful about who you give out an invite to.

Oink is also one of the toughest sites to maintain a 1 ratio at unfortunately :(. You really have to jump in quickly on a newly uploaded album that is destined to get 5K+ downloads. Or have a lot of obscure stuff that you can upload yourself.

[quote name='norkusa']Yeah, but they recently blocked access to US users. I guess you can search the sites but when you try to download something, it doesn't let you connect. Or is there a way around that?[/QUOTE]
Proxy Servers FTW!

hooray! and Tvtorrents fixed their server (they were down for some hardware problems.)

looks like its back up, there just blocking canadian users

well, this is the first time since the Iraq war started where I'm glad to not be Canadian :lol:

We received a letter from a lawyer represeting the CRIA, they were threatening with legal action and We need to start blocking Canadian traffic because of this. If you reside in Canada, that is the reason you are being redirected to this message. Thanks for your understanding, and sorry for any inconvenience.

[quote name='naes']We received a letter from a lawyer represeting the CRIA, they were threatening with legal action and We need to start blocking Canadian traffic because of this. If you reside in Canada, that is the reason you are being redirected to this message. Thanks for your understanding, and sorry for any inconvenience.[/quote]

Grr.

If that's all it takes to block a whole country, it's amazing these sites stay up for as long as they have.

Sucks for you Canadiens. Hopefully either demonoid or someone will find a solution for you guys, but I guess a regular proxy or tor browsing should do the trick.

With all the crackdowns and how easy it is to track down EVERYONE who gets stuff from torrent sites, I'm amazed so many of you still use them. I swore off bittorrent (except for legal software distribution and the like) over two years ago.

But then again, I'm picky about maintaining both my privacy and my bank account. :) The last friend I told to use newsgroups instead of bittorrent got a C&D e-mail EIGHT HOURS after installing uTorrent.

[quote name='geko29']With all the crackdowns and how easy it is to track down EVERYONE who gets stuff from torrent sites, I'm amazed so many of you still use them. I swore off bittorrent (except for legal software distribution and the like) over two years ago.

But then again, I'm picky about maintaining both my privacy and my bank account. :) The last friend I told to use newsgroups instead of bittorrent got a C&D e-mail EIGHT HOURS after installing uTorrent.[/quote]

If you use PeerGuardian, only dl clean torrents from good private trackers, have some common sense and are willing to erase your whole HDD at a moments notice, then you will be fine.

bread's done
Back