Okami - Video - WW meets VJ meets Princess Mononoke

Wshakspear

CAGiversary!
Original thread Here from May. It has some pic links.

The videos are Here and for non-insiders is only available in Windows Media. Insiders get 2 sizes of Quicktime. As said in the other thread, it looks a lot like viewtiful joe...but in motion, it looks amazingly like Wind Waker. I hope to god this comes over...and GC bound would be nice too.

i have always thought the screenshots for that looked awesome, and seeing it in motion makes me want it all the more. One of the most beautiful art styles I have ever seen.

The animation of the wolf alone is amazing, add in the trail of greenery and the LUSH woods, and you've got something special. My girlfriend was even impressed...expecially after i said it was for PS2 (ive trained her well)

i would like to add that games like this is why Nintendo thinks just going for better and better graphics is a bad thing...and i would have to agree.

i wonder who would publish it over here?

Crazy stylized graphics..Surely the same Capcom division that worked on V-joe.

I only saw screenshots before, but this game looks beautiful..and fluid in motion. Hope it reaches US shores.

[quote name='Wshakspear']The day they say it will be a JPN exclusive is they day i mod my PS2[/quote]

I don't know. I think with the success of Katamari Damacy Capcom may take a chance on this. At least, I hope so.

[quote name='Wshakspear']i would like to add that games like this is why Nintendo thinks just going for better and better graphics is a bad thing...and i would have to agree.

i wonder who would publish it over here?[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. Doesn't this fall under the designation of better graphics. Or is that reserved for realism? Unless you have a rigidly inflexible system any advances that aid realism can also be made to serve the purposes or surrealism. It all comes down to the ability to quickly manipulate pixels.How you apply that power is where creativity plays its vital role.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Wshakspear']i would like to add that games like this is why Nintendo thinks just going for better and better graphics is a bad thing...and i would have to agree.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. Doesn't this fall under the designation of better graphics. Or is that reserved for realism? Unless you have a rigidly inflexible system any advances that aid realism can also be made to serve the purposes or surrealism. It all comes down to the ability to quickly manipulate pixels.How you apply that power is where creativity plays its vital role.[/quote]

Well, i just tried to write a paragraph explain WTF i just said, but i cant. It boils down to the idea that these systems can already put out graphics ranging from Midways Classics to Rez to Katamari to Resident Evil 4, and that almost an idea can be pulled off one way or the other WITHOUT the need for even more powerful systems.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Wshakspear']i would like to add that games like this is why Nintendo thinks just going for better and better graphics is a bad thing...and i would have to agree.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. Doesn't this fall under the designation of better graphics. Or is that reserved for realism? Unless you have a rigidly inflexible system any advances that aid realism can also be made to serve the purposes or surrealism. It all comes down to the ability to quickly manipulate pixels.How you apply that power is where creativity plays its vital role.[/quote]

I think that's the point he was making. This doesn't look as realistic as any given Team Ninja game, yet, IMO, it's much more pleasing to the eye.

Personally, I think as emphasis is being put on pushing more and more detailed polygons a lot of creative approaches are being left untried.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Wshakspear']i would like to add that games like this is why Nintendo thinks just going for better and better graphics is a bad thing...and i would have to agree.

I think that's the point he was making. This doesn't look as realistic as any given Team Ninja game, yet, IMO, it's much more pleasing to the eye.

Personally, I think as emphasis is being put on pushing more and more detailed polygons a lot of creative approaches are being left untried.[/quote]

Yeah, what he said (THANK YOU!)

Heh, looks awesome, and I see what you mean by how it reminded you of PM... that's the exact thing I thought when I saw the wolf. I'm not going to get my hopes up too high though.

As of right now it is, but there are rumors and speculation for a GC port. But what you said is exactly why its in the PS2 forum for now.

Ooohhh...saw the trailer a few days ago. Bring it to GCN. My PS2s acting wonky.

If I hadn't been told about what I was downloading I would have thought it was a new VJ game from the stylized intro of the waves and the falling cherry blossoms.

Edit: Wow, I've had a tendency of falling onto the second page/first post on a few threads recently. Fascinating, I know.

Whenever I see a Japanese game with text (e.g. the little word balloons in this trailer), I wonder why it goes from left to right. Isn't Japanese read from right to left? Or am I just being an American idiot, a total philistine?

[quote name='Backlash']Whenever I see a Japanese game with text (e.g. the little word balloons in this trailer), I wonder why it goes from left to right. Isn't Japanese read from right to left? Or am I just being an American idiot, a total philistine?[/quote]

im teaching myself Japanese...and i have that same question...then again, it could be the "simple" japanese lettering that is pretty much english with symbols.

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='Backlash']Whenever I see a Japanese game with text (e.g. the little word balloons in this trailer), I wonder why it goes from left to right. Isn't Japanese read from right to left? Or am I just being an American idiot, a total philistine?[/quote]

im teaching myself Japanese...and i have that same question...then again, it could be the "simple" japanese lettering that is pretty much english with symbols.[/quote]

I believe that's Kanji, which has roughly 26 characters if i remember correctly. it's pretty much arranged like english, just with different letters.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin'][quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='Backlash']Whenever I see a Japanese game with text (e.g. the little word balloons in this trailer), I wonder why it goes from left to right. Isn't Japanese read from right to left? Or am I just being an American idiot, a total philistine?[/quote]

im teaching myself Japanese...and i have that same question...then again, it could be the "simple" japanese lettering that is pretty much english with symbols.[/quote]

I believe that's Kanji, which has roughly 26 characters if i remember correctly. it's pretty much arranged like english, just with different letters.[/quote]

Japanese is comprised of 3 symbol sets. Hiragana, which is their basic alphabet. Katakana, which is their basic alphabet for when they need to write foreign words. And Kanji, which is a huge (huge) set of pictographs that are borrowed and modified from Chinese. None of them typically break the usual Japanese writing standard, so this is just Capcom being weird.

Awesome vid. hope it makes it here. I saw this on some G4 game show recently... maybe it'll gain enough popular appreciation here to warrant a US release. Anyone have the relevant email address to sent our please too? (There was one publicized to request Katamari from Namco.)

bread's done
Back