Old Consoles Bulletproof vs New Gen

twa318

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
My Xbox 360 recently bit the dust (RRoD). This is the 2nd occurrence of RRoD in its lifetime (it had been repaired once). The console I owned before the Xbox, Playstation 2, also broke twice!! I went through two PS2s, one wouldnt power on an another just died completely.

So three recent generation consoles have failed after only a few years of use. Now consider:

My Nintendo 64 from 1996 works flawlessly. Same with my PS1, which isnt much younger then the 64. My 2nd gen Sega Genesis works fine, so does the SNES.

I understand why new consoles fail so often, more technology, more heat output, more moving parts, but still I feel its weak that the latest technology doesnt have even close to the lifespan of older gaming tech.

I've had systems since the Odyssey in the mid 70's and pretty much most systems since and the only one I've ever had crap out was the Xbox 360. Not once, but I've had 4 die.

I dunno, I think maybe they're a little more prone to failure (although the 360 is a piece of junk for sure), but I had a genesis and dreamcast crap out on me before.

My 360 RRoD'd twice, one of my PS2s failed, an original Xbox die, yet all my Sega, Nintendo, & Atari systems work fine. I even bought an Odyssee 2 today & its works. Better technology does not mean better quality. As far as handhelds tho, I've never had anything crap out on me.

[quote name='Segasonic01']My 360 RRoD'd twice, one of my PS2s failed, an original Xbox die, yet all my Sega, Nintendo, & Atari systems work fine. I even bought an Odyssee 2 today & its works. Better technology does not mean better quality. As far as handhelds tho, I've never had anything crap out on me.[/QUOTE]

I've had a original Game Boy that had sound but no picture, a GBC that had picture but no sound, and two DS Lites that have had cracked hinges.

I've had an NES get BLS (Blinking LIght Syndrome). I also had a first series Playstation that didn't completely fail, but has a serious skipping issue, especially with FMV. I also had my Game.com fail. That's it for older stuff and I pretty much own everything released widely in North America that wasn't a TurboGrafix, 3D0, Jaguar or Lynx.

I've had both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 to fail completely on me.

I think it really depends on how you treat your system.

Growing up I know people that set their consoles on a carpet floor or on top of the TV, allowing static electricity to shock the hell out of the box. Or if on the floor, get stepped on. Treating systems like that don't let them last long.

My original NES doesn't work anymore because it got stored in a garage for ten years, allowing condensation and dust to build up inside it.

Haha, great thread! I was just telling my bud a month ago when my PS3 stopped reading discs that my 1st gen PS1 and PS2 are still alive and kicking. I kept my PS1 laser in top shape (Never had skipping issues) by using a lens cleaner on it every few months. I love my classic systems! New gen systems have too many things that can go wrong with them.

I have a GBC that still works perfectly, and I used that to play Pokemon Red when it first came out. So I think it is all about luck with consoles because I was 8 with that GBC and somehow it survived childhood for 10 years.

I've thankfully never had anything I've owned die on me. I don't have anything older than a Gameboy though, so that may be part of it.
Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, GBA SP, DS, PSP, N64, PS2, GC, Xbox, Xbox 360, x2 Wiis, PS3
All work fine. I don't treat them particularly well, they mostly just sit in my basement not being played, but they're still tickin'.

^I'm going to not say anything obvious about that which is obvious.^

My PS is still kickin'.
I DID have a SNES that stopped working when I was a kid.
Pretty sure the Genesis is still going...
And the Gameboy Advance only died because of a headbutt to the face. The Gameboys of course still work.

bread's done
Back