One and Only "____ is wrong with my Wii" General Questions/Help Topic.

Is the blue light along the disk access slot supposed to be lit up during play? Because mine only lights up for a when it accepts or ejects disks. At first I thought this was how it was supposed to be, but in most pics I see of the Wii the blue light is on. Has anyone else had this problem?

It's a very super minor thing, so if it is indeed a faulty unit, I'll probably wait until Wiis are readily available in order to make an exchange. Also, I wouldn't want to ship mine to Nintendo just yet because all my Zelda save data is on this system and I don't have an SD card yet.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Is the blue light along the disk access slot supposed to be lit up during play? Because mine only lights up for a when it accepts or ejects disks. At first I thought this was how it was supposed to be, but in most pics I see of the Wii the blue light is on. Has anyone else had this problem?

It's a very super minor thing, so if it is indeed a faulty unit, I'll probably wait until Wiis are readily available in order to make an exchange. Also, I wouldn't want to ship mine to Nintendo just yet because all my Zelda save data is on this system and I don't have an SD card yet.[/QUOTE]

No, it only lights up as you say - and also when it is turned off but you have new Wiiconnect 24 data. The latter is what I was talking about. Though it seems tonight I can't connect and keep getting the 51330 errors even though my router signal is strong and I am on the Internet fine from my laptop.

I had it freeze up on the Wii Shop screen tonight (with the blue circle going endlessly). I assume that's all part of the same connection issue - though you'd think it would time out at some point.

I did get my wii online with my linksys router, i chaged the channel to 3, put it in mixed mode, changed the security to wpa and tried it early monring on monday. so one of those things fixed the problem for me

also for anyone with a linksys WRT54G updating the firmare to the one released in may will fix the problems connecting. after updating, power cycle and it should work without any issues.

[quote name='RockoMan']it takes me a few attempts to get into Wii Shop. it usually loads and loads and loads and doesnt do anything and i have to unplug the system. staying connected 24/7 slows my internet down hardcore.

-marc[/quote]Change the wireless channel on your router. It's probably at 6, most of us have changed it to 11. Fixes things right up.

With some of the issues being reported about errors when downloading firmware updates and some instances of bricking, should I hold off going online with the Wii for a week or two, or will I potentially run into this problem no matter how long I wait?

I planned on getting the Nintendo wi-fi adapter but if I run the risk of screwing up the console by attempting to go online, I'd rather wait until I know additional consoles can be picked up easily in stores. I don't want to be wii-less over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend!

[quote name='coolz481']With some of the issues being reported about errors when downloading firmware updates and some instances of bricking, should I hold off going online with the Wii for a week or two, or will I potentially run into this problem no matter how long I wait?

I planned on getting the Nintendo wi-fi adapter but if I run the risk of screwing up the console by attempting to go online, I'd rather wait until I know additional consoles can be picked up easily in stores. I don't want to be wii-less over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend![/quote]

If you are that concerned about it, just wait. I was able to get both updates on launch day, they just took a long time to download and it took multiple tries. All of the issues we are seeing with the network are because of the load. If you go back and read Grave_Addicition's "I got my Wii" thread, you'll see that both of his updates downloaded in less than a minute. He lives in Guam so he was probably one of the first people to connect to WFC from the Wii.

It will probably be a week or two until they work out the kinks in the network.

[quote name='Nightfall']How exactly? You must mean on the router, but my router works fine with my DS. Unless there is a setting I'm not seeing on my Wii.[/quote]
Well, iirc, the DS is compatable with g, no? Either way, access your router settings (if you don't know how, just google search "[Router Name Here] Default I.P" Log in, and go to wireless settings, and make sure that the signal is set to "Mixed"

Well, I had an awfully weird episode last night. I quit Trauma Center and was going to shut the console off, when my remote lost sync. I used my other controller to turn off and back on the console, and was able to hit one button on it before it also lost sync. Nothing worked (restarting, resyncing) until I unplugged and turned it back on, then they were sync'd back up as normal.

Not sure if there was some signal interference somewhere or what, but odd. At least nothing is broken.

[quote name='botticus']Change the wireless channel on your router. It's probably at 6, most of us have changed it to 11. Fixes things right up.[/QUOTE]

Funny, on channel 11 I got no signal at all (Wii didn't even see the router). But it worked at 1, which is the other option to change it to according to Nintendo's site. I also updated the firmware on my WRT54G and it seemed to work after that - I didn't power cycle the router though, do you have to do that for anything to change? I noticed the web interface had changed already (some new options, etc).

In any case, it worked again after I did that. It had worked just fine on Sunday when I set up the Wii, but was only working sporadically yesterday. Very strange... Today I noticed the blue glow again, so maybe I have some new messages or Miis.

Is it just me or do the wiimotes are created UNequal? I have 2 wiimotes, the bundled wiimote seems to be able to power on and be detected by the wii only, while the extra one I bought cannot power on the wii nor could I get it to be detected even if I took out the battery on the bundled wiimote. It seems tho the extra wiimote I bought cannot be the master controller (thus, can never be the #1 player, or the first blue led). Does anyone else have this problem? If not I might have to return it and exchange for another one.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Is it just me or do the wiimotes are created UNequal? I have 2 wiimotes, the bundled wiimote seems to be able to power on and be detected by the wii only, while the extra one I bought cannot power on the wii nor could I get it to be detected even if I took out the battery on the bundled wiimote. It seems tho the extra wiimote I bought cannot be the master controller (thus, can never be the #1 player, or the first blue led). Does anyone else have this problem? If not I might have to return it and exchange for another one.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your controllers are not synced properly. I read in the manual that there's 2 versions of syncing, one that is constantly linked to your system and another for when you want to take your controller to a friends house. Read up on that and it will explain it better. I think you need to sync up both remotes from the menu screens with the sync buttons as opposed to in game or by pressing 1+2.
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']Sounds like your controllers are not synced properly. I read in the manual that there's 2 versions of syncing, one that is constantly linked to your system and another for when you want to take your controller to a friends house. Read up on that and it will explain it better. I think you need to sync up both remotes from the menu screens with the sync buttons as opposed to in game or by pressing 1+2.
-G[/quote]Yeah, I would suggest looking into that. If sync'd properly, both should be able to represent the "master" controller.

How many updates are out so far? I DL'd 2 the first night. Was that it? With all the talk of the servers being really slow I don't want to hold up my machine if I don't really need to.

Was the 480p option added with an update? A friend said it was but I thought it was there when I started...
-G

Is anyone having "unable to read disc" errors with Wii Sports? And yeah, I'm putting it in the right way.

I find that my Wii Sports doesn't read about 20% of the time I put it in. When I put it back in, the disc reads fine. I don't have this problem with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance or Zelda. I don't know whether I should bother having Nintendo replace this disc as it's not too much of a pain in the ass, but it is a nuisance. :???:

My television is quite old and requires rf items to work with games...the wii lacks an rf switch....I have to buy some sort of adapter correct?

[quote name='botticus']Well, I had an awfully weird episode last night. I quit Trauma Center and was going to shut the console off, when my remote lost sync. I used my other controller to turn off and back on the console, and was able to hit one button on it before it also lost sync. Nothing worked (restarting, resyncing) until I unplugged and turned it back on, then they were sync'd back up as normal.

Not sure if there was some signal interference somewhere or what, but odd. At least nothing is broken.[/quote]

If your Wii locks up (mine has only locked up once when exiting the Mii channel), I would not recommend unplugging the console. Just hold down the power button on the console itself for a few seconds and it will power down.

Unplugging the console probably won't hurt anything, but I would just use the power button to be safe.

BTW, it seems that most of the lock-ups (besides getting stuck trying to connect to the Wii Shop) happen when exiting channels. You can tell when exiting a channel has worked properly b/c the Wiimote will actually turn off since the Wii is basically rebooting to the main screen. If you exit a channel and your Wiimote LEDs stay lit, the Wii is most likely frozen.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']My television is quite old and requires rf items to work with games...the wii lacks an rf switch....I have to buy some sort of adapter correct?[/quote]

or since your TVs old, you can connect it to a VCR and just use the video channel on that shit.

A word of warning.

I had an issue with my system where I couldn't get to the Wii Shop, it would error out to the point of needing a hardware repair via Nintendo. But that wasn't the only problem. It was corrupting the save data when it saved it to the SD card, so I lost my saved games. Not cool. Per Nintendo, I'm the first person to have this issue. Just wanted to send out a warning to everyone. Not that it would help anyone in that situation, but if I had known, I wouldn't have played any Zelda the last few days.

For those of you having issues connecting to the Wii Store, Nintendo posted a tip on their Wii Customer Support page. Change your Wireless Channel to 1 or 11. Mine was on 6 (the default) and I was having a hell of a time getting connected to the Wii Shop (had to power off my Wii after getting stuck trying to connect multiple times) so I decided to finally give it a try.

I couldn't believe the difference. I can now get into the Wii Shop in less than a minute (literally), and I downloaded Super Mario 64 in about a minute as well. It has made all of the difference in the world.

I have a Linksys WRT54G just in case that matters.

[quote name='fdu']Is anyone having "unable to read disc" errors with Wii Sports? And yeah, I'm putting it in the right way.

I find that my Wii Sports doesn't read about 20% of the time I put it in. When I put it back in, the disc reads fine. I don't have this problem with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance or Zelda. I don't know whether I should bother having Nintendo replace this disc as it's not too much of a pain in the ass, but it is a nuisance. :???:[/QUOTE]

Im having the same problem, tho my screen just stays blank after hitting Start.. It happens a lot with Wii Sports, I dont even get an error..its just a Black screen, I have to power off/power on my Wii. It happened once with Zelda though.

[quote name='help1']do u run in tennis or do u hold a button.[/quote]Wrong thread, but I'll answer anyway. You swing only. No running, no control over your characters movement. Just swinging to hit.

For those of you getting the 51330 error code... I tried the channel switching thing like Nintendo recommended, btu that did nothing... what DID work, for both me and my cousin, was unplugging my router, access point and modem from power, then plugging back in. My cousin had the same problem and solved it the same way...

I'm wondering if it might be some sort of IP issue, since that helped... I dunno. but thought I'd mention it in case someone had the same prob and hadn't thought of trying this yet.

FWIW, I have that little Belkin wireless access point a bunch of us got from buy.com for $10 when the DS wifi launched... it's the... F5D6130v2.

Froze while leaving the Mii channel today. Behaved exactly the same as before, and started back up with no issues. Apparently, it's occasionally having trouble returning to the Wii menu from the channels.

Has anyone else had any trouble bringing their Wii out of standby? A couple of times I've pressed the power button on a remote, and the remote tries to sync, but the console doesn't turn on. Even pressing the power button on the Wii doesn't bring it up... I have to hold the power button until it turns "off" (red), then power it back up again.

Is this a common problem, or is it just me?

[quote name='rohlfinator']Has anyone else had any trouble bringing their Wii out of standby? A couple of times I've pressed the power button on a remote, and the remote tries to sync, but the console doesn't turn on. Even pressing the power button on the Wii doesn't bring it up... I have to hold the power button until it turns "off" (red), then power it back up again.

Is this a common problem, or is it just me?[/QUOTE]

I had that a FEW times and when I say FEW times I really do mean like maybe 2-3 times.

For the most part my Wii works great. Just those few times.. I really had to hold in the power button ON the console for it to work LOL

Hi guys, this is my first post (Im a regular at digital press, but its under construction), and Im curious as to how I go about changing the channel on my wireless router.

Im running OS X, and using an Actiontec MI424WR that I got for free when my high speed was installed. My Wii is finding the access point, but isnt able to connect (The typical 51330 or whatever it is), and I think that changing my channel would help.

Any suggestions?

I was just in the middle of a nice comeback in Wii Baseball when the console froze. :whistle2:( Second time it's happened to me today (well including yesterday, I've been up all night). Just locks up with whatever audio tone that was playing at the time just locked on to one tone. Kinda creepy when it happens out of nowhere...

Normal stuff, I assume, or should I be concerned that it happened twice (once during Wii Sports, once in Mii Channel)?

Ok I need help with the Mii Parade. If someone can please explain to me why it isnt working that would be nice. I have travel on and Miis set to mingle. and some friends who I am sure have Miis mingling.

[quote name='rohlfinator']Has anyone else had any trouble bringing their Wii out of standby? A couple of times I've pressed the power button on a remote, and the remote tries to sync, but the console doesn't turn on. Even pressing the power button on the Wii doesn't bring it up... I have to hold the power button until it turns "off" (red), then power it back up again.

Is this a common problem, or is it just me?[/quote]

This happened to me last night and once this morning. I kinda freaked out because I my systems froze, but now I know what to do.

[quote name='lebowsky']For those of you having issues connecting to the Wii Store, Nintendo posted a tip on their Wii Customer Support page. Change your Wireless Channel to 1 or 11. Mine was on 6 (the default) and I was having a hell of a time getting connected to the Wii Shop (had to power off my Wii after getting stuck trying to connect multiple times) so I decided to finally give it a try.

I couldn't believe the difference. I can now get into the Wii Shop in less than a minute (literally), and I downloaded Super Mario 64 in about a minute as well. It has made all of the difference in the world.

I have a Linksys WRT54G just in case that matters.[/quote]

Interesting, do you have other wireless/portable devices in your house? What about neighbors with access points? You may have been getting rf signal interference

My Wii froze again. It froze while going into the Wii store and I couldn't powerdown or reset it. I had to unplug it to get it to do anything.

One of my friends got a error code and called up Nintendo and they told him his console was faulty and to ship it in to them. They pay.

Another one of my friends has a faulty wiimote. Called up Nintendo and they are sending him a new one but once that arrives he has to send the broken one in with the box they shipped the new one in. They pay.

Nintendo is handling the problems well. Glad to hear that. :D

Those of you experiencing console freezes, did you update the firmware or do something else online? Just curious because I haven't had any trouble, and I have decided to wait going online for awhile in case there are bugs that need to be fixed with updates or the congestion causes hiccups with downloads that might corrupt them and cause trouble to the Wii.

I'm really worried. One night, while playing DOAX2, I look over at my Wii, and some weird, white, sticky substace started coming out. What does that mean? Is this the famous "Error 893457093845" or whatever number everyone is talking about?

[quote name='soonersfan60']Those of you experiencing console freezes, did you update the firmware or do something else online? Just curious because I haven't had any trouble, and I have decided to wait going online for awhile in case there are bugs that need to be fixed with updates or the congestion causes hiccups with downloads that might corrupt them and cause trouble to the Wii.[/quote]

I updated my console and it works fine. It has never crashed or froze or locked up. Just once my remote stoped working, but that was after I powerd down on the wii itself and after that My wiimote couldent turn the console back on. All it took was manual reset on the wii and it worked ok.

I am worried that my wii might have a problem that hasent manifested istself yet, but i have been playing zelda for about 8 hours a day (while my demo renders on my computer) and it hasent locked up yet. so I think its fine.

ahh crap i was getting the error code 52230 forever today. Checked all over online and here and tried everything like changing the wireless channel and trying to set a staic ip. Then I felt like a tard when I finally noticed that the "enable" firewall button was checked on my linksys router...

I read over the operating manual, but I'm still confused about getting it online. Can someone help me out? I have a cable modem the connects to my PC via Cat 5 cable. I have USB ports on the modem and PC. What do I need to do to get the Wii online?

[quote name='RareWare']I can't see the turbographix 16 games in the Wii shop. Is it just me or have they not been released yet?[/quote]The is Bonk and Bomberman.

*sigh* Getting 52330 on my router and 51330 on the router next door (which I can get on with my DS). Nintendo hates me.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I read over the operating manual, but I'm still confused about getting it online. Can someone help me out? I have a cable modem the connects to my PC via Cat 5 cable. I have USB ports on the modem and PC. What do I need to do to get the Wii online?[/QUOTE]

You need to go out and buy (1) wireless router, OR a USB wireless internet adapter to plug into your router so that the Wii can gat it's signal.

is wii sports always going to be free with the system or is it a limited shipment thing like the 360 dvd control?

Anyone having sensor bar issues - wiimote range too short? During the main Wii menus i have to be within 2 feet of the sensor bar for the wiimote to actually show up on the screen... when im playing wii sports i can be back 8 - 10 feet and it reads fine. its just frustrating having to walk up close to the tv and spend a minute trying to get the cursor to show up to navigate through the "home" menu.

[quote name='lebowsky']For those of you having issues connecting to the Wii Store, Nintendo posted a tip on their Wii Customer Support page. Change your Wireless Channel to 1 or 11. Mine was on 6 (the default) and I was having a hell of a time getting connected to the Wii Shop (had to power off my Wii after getting stuck trying to connect multiple times) so I decided to finally give it a try.

I have a Linksys WRT54G just in case that matters.[/QUOTE]

I have the same router. Mine worked fine the first day (doing the updates, etc), and has always SORT OF worked with my DS. By sort of, I mean if I sit in my office. My PSP worked fine out in the living room so I always just thought the DS wifi was weak. Well, when the Wii started giving me problems I changed the channel on the router to 11 - no dice, so I tried 1. That worked like a charm. The added bonus is that my DS now works perfectly out in my living room! Both have 2/3 bars on the wifi signal whereas before I'd be lucky to get 1 on the DS, and the Wii was getting 2 but giving me all those error codes. Yeah! I thought I was going to have to move my router more to the middle of the house, but now I don't need to. Nice.

bread's done
Back