One and Only "____ is wrong with my Wii" General Questions/Help Topic.

I downloaded the latest update last week, and now my NES games are coming up as a black screen. I'm using component cables with an LCD TV (42" Olevia). Has anyone else encountered this problem?

My Wii is being a bitch trying to read games. It takes three or four tries before it reads anything. Should I cut my losses and call nintendo before my warranty expires?

I haven't had any problems with my wii until now. The disc drive seems loud. I think this started when we got the update that killed the freeloader use. Yesterday, however, the system blacked out on me twice. I mean I turned it on and after it was on the channel menu for a bit it blacked out. I then turned it off and turned it back on. I selected carnival games for my kids and they started playing a bit and then it blacked out again. I went through this a third time and it hasn't done it again. I rarely play the thing but I was wondering if this warrants a call to nintendo before my warranty expires or is this just a fluke malfunction? Does this blacking out lead to larger problems? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']I just got a Wii about a week ago. The first day or two I didn't notice any noise at all. The last few days, however, I've noticed a slight 'clicking' noise when a disk is running. I wouldn't normally be worried, but the sound has a bit of an ebb and flow... I just wanted an opinion of another Wii owner. Is this noise normal, or will it get worse?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I've been having the same issue. So does few other people in past posts..

Is this normal? I just got the wii and it plays fine.
But sometimes, it makes the loud clicking sound and load takes longer than usual. I have to turn Wii off or re-insert the disc.

Is this normal? Any experts??

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']I downloaded the latest update last week, and now my NES games are coming up as a black screen. I'm using component cables with an LCD TV (42" Olevia). Has anyone else encountered this problem?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for delay in reply, but check the video settings. This exact thing happened to me out of nowhere - I could hear music, but the screen was black.

Went into video and found that it had been changed to 480i SD. Switched it back to 480p (since I use component cables). All fixed.

Of note, this happened with Castlevania 2 first, but the above fixed it.

As for disc drive noises, that only happened once to me with Raving Rabbids. But I ejected and tried again - never happened again.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']I downloaded the latest update last week, and now my NES games are coming up as a black screen. I'm using component cables with an LCD TV (42" Olevia). Has anyone else encountered this problem?[/quote]
I fixed it - when I downloaded the patch, it changed it back from Hi-Def output to standard output.

[quote name='Strell']Sorry for delay in reply, but check the video settings. This exact thing happened to me out of nowhere - I could hear music, but the screen was black.

Went into video and found that it had been changed to 480i SD. Switched it back to 480p (since I use component cables). All fixed.

Of note, this happened with Castlevania 2 first, but the above fixed it.

As for disc drive noises, that only happened once to me with Raving Rabbids. But I ejected and tried again - never happened again.[/quote]

Thanks for the response! I figured it out last week, though. =D

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']
Thanks for the response! I figured it out last week, though. =D[/QUOTE]

WHY MUST YOU FOIL MY PLANS AGAIN, SLIM GATSBY?

WHY?

I need to send my Wii to Nintendo.
Hard to enjoy SMG with sparklies everywhere.

Who do I call?
And what will they need from me?

:(

[quote name='dallow']I need to send my Wii to Nintendo.

Who do I call?

:([/QUOTE]

There's a number on every system, in every instruction manual, bla bla.

I imagine they'll need your contact information, address, any MyNintendo.com account information, and the Wii serial number.

Tell them if you have any saved data/VC games and the like, since you'll want those transferred.

Good luck.

BWAHHAHAHAH!

with the wii zapper coming out, what the heck is the purpose of it? lol

is it just a piece of plastic so i dont have to hold the controllers?

wii wi-fi problems here.

i have set up my connection manually, due to not being able to connect out of the box. i could then agree to the user terms, but shortly after, it halfway connects but gives me errors. i can get to wii vote and weather ok, but once i'm in it says i need to re-setup my internet settings, although i can use the service. i have checked my activity lights on my router as the wii is saying its connection to a channel, and the lights are not flashing.

any ideas?

I'm trying to connect to the internet (for the first time) using the Wi-Fi USB connector, and it's not working for me. The software installed on my computer fine. Then I set up the connection on my Wii and that part worked fine -- my Wii showed up in the software, I was able to grant access, and it said setup is complete. But then when it tested the connection, it didn't work. During the connection test, I noticed that on my computer, the icon for my Wii changed, and the text at the bottom changed to say one or more users are connected. But the Wii came back with error code 52140, "unable to connect to the internet". I shut down my firewall program, but that didn't help. I don't understand how it's "unable to connect" when the software says it IS connected. I have the latest version of the software downloaded off nintendo.com... and I don't have a router of any sort (my computer is just directly wired into a cable modem).

I can't get my Wii online with the USB connector. The software is fine, and my system shows up correctly. The setup on the system works fine until the connection test. I get an error at that point. The error is 52140, which says "unable to connect" or whatever. But in their software, my system was listed correctly and during the test it even said it was connected.

I was told this was most likely a firewall issue. After trying to resolve it, I went to the extreme step of uninstalling my firewall program. But I still get the error.

My computer is not using a router of any kind. It is simply connected directly to a cable modem.

Edit: I went to the further extreme of uninstalling my antivirus program and turning off Windows Firewall. Still get the error. Just for shits and giggles, I tried to go online with my DS (figuring maybe it was the Wii). The software recognized the DS fine, but once again I couldn't connect. The DS gave me error 52103, "connected to access point but unable to connect to the server".

This is so frustrating. Why can't this shit just fucking work?! :whistle2:x

[quote name='j_factor']I can't get my Wii online with the USB connector. The software is fine, and my system shows up correctly. The setup on the system works fine until the connection test. I get an error at that point. The error is 52140, which says "unable to connect" or whatever. But in their software, my system was listed correctly and during the test it even said it was connected.

I was told this was most likely a firewall issue. After trying to resolve it, I went to the extreme step of uninstalling my firewall program. But I still get the error.

My computer is not using a router of any kind. It is simply connected directly to a cable modem.

Edit: I went to the further extreme of uninstalling my antivirus program and turning off Windows Firewall. Still get the error. Just for shits and giggles, I tried to go online with my DS (figuring maybe it was the Wii). The software recognized the DS fine, but once again I couldn't connect. The DS gave me error 52103, "connected to access point but unable to connect to the server".

This is so frustrating. Why can't this shit just fucking work?! :whistle2:x[/quote]

I have the same problem, and it's really pissing me off.

[quote name='dallow']I need to send my Wii to Nintendo.

Who do I call?

:([/quote]

SMG is nothing but sparklies. Your Wii is fine.

[quote name='danito']I have the same problem, and it's really pissing me off.[/quote]

I used to have this problem. All I did was bridge the network, and viola! Just select your internet connection, and the wii connection, right click, bridge. :D

[quote name='Furashu']with the wii zapper coming out, what the heck is the purpose of it? lol

is it just a piece of plastic so i dont have to hold the controllers?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. It's more realistic, but if you're the kind who likes to be more efficient, Zapper slows you down.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']SMG is nothing but sparklies. Your Wii is fine.[/quote]I hope you're being sarcastic. ;)

I have the bad kind of sparklies.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, and I apologize in advance if this is redundant.

I have my Wii sending its 480p picture out through component cables to a norcent 32" LCD TV. My 360 and PS3 do not have this problem.

When looking at same shades of color (esp. greys and blues) I see a bit of dithering and what looks like vertical lines. An example of when this is noticable is when the grey boxes appear right before the Wii menu,or in the blue background of the Wii weather channel.

Anyone else notice this?

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I don't know if this has been discussed before, and I apologize in advance if this is redundant.

I have my Wii sending its 480p picture out through component cables to a norcent 32" LCD TV. My 360 and PS3 do not have this problem.

When looking at same shades of color (esp. greys and blues) I see a bit of dithering and what looks like vertical lines. An example of when this is noticable is when the grey boxes appear right before the Wii menu,or in the blue background of the Wii weather channel.

Anyone else notice this?[/quote]I thought the Wii menu had the 'old style TV' aesthetic so it the lines are supposed to be there.

Unless you're describing something else.

I've also been unable to connect via wireless. I'll get the error message 52140 and have to delete my wireless settings. After re-entering the settings again, it will work fine. I've had to do this on 3 separate occasions and it's starting to piss me off.

I also had the problem Strell described where the update reset the video settings to 480i and a had to change it back to 480p. What the hell is up with that? You'd think they'd have time to be more careful in a system update that happens so infrequently.

I'm wondering if this is a result of the recent update as I've never had this problem before.

whoo~!! I jus got a new game for my no Wii!

Killer 7!!

I wonder, do u need a gamecube memory card to save/play the game, or can you save and load off the internal memory??

thanx!

[quote name='JEKKI']whoo~!! I jus got a new game for my no Wii!

Killer 7!!

I wonder, do u need a gamecube memory card to save/play the game, or can you save and load off the internal memory??

thanx![/QUOTE]

Pretty sure this is in the FAQ, but no - you can't save GC games on the internal memory. When the Wii is playing a GC game, it boots as a Gamecube, and thus all of the Wii hardware is effectively unknown. So the wifi, USB ports, SD card, and internal flash memory are no longer accessible when playing a GC game.

For a few weeks now when playing a game the disc drive sounds really load while its loading and the whole time the game is being played.Also a few times when selecting the disc channel and starting the game it takes me to the game screen(start game and wii menu options) where you press
start to start the game and the screen goes black and locks up and then i have to unplug the system and plug it back in

Woah, nobody had said anything in here for a while. I have a question, and I am not going to make a thread for it since we have a Wii help thread :)

Ok.
I just bought a new TV (Olevia 37", model 327T if it matters)
I also just got my component cables from Monoprice the other day.

I've set my Wii settings to widescreen, and I've set the screen resolution to "EDTV or HDTV".

Overall, I'm just not impressed. With certain things I am. I put on Mario Galaxy and the background and stages looked really good..but they also looked really good on my regular ol'e TV. But when it came to Luigi, Rosalina and the Toads..they had some kind of blur/fuzz to them. It's nothing drastic, but still.

I think what made things worse is when reading about component cables for the Wii, everyone says it's a MUST HAVE because the Wii looks GREAT!!! with them. I don't know what everyone else is thinking..but I don't know what GREAT!! is to them :whistle2:k

Maybe my cables aren't good? I'd hate to through some sort of hassle to get newer/expensive cables and it's just how the Wii is going to look on this TV and that's that.

I don't have many settings in terms of picture on my TV. Just a few differen aspects to choose from. Nothing specific as to what dimensions, just things like 1:1, Aspect, Full Screen, Panoramic, Zoom and Zoom 2. They are the only things I can set them to.

Now my virtual console games, when set to aspect setting, look good. I've only seen games like Mario 64, Harvest Moon and The Adventures of Lolo and so far no complaints for them. It's just the Wii games (and menu) that I am discouraged with.. :whistle2:(

I have a Wii question.

I know that you can't transfer data such as games from one Wii to another....
But what happens if your Wii is out of it's repair warranty, breaks down, and you get a new one. All the VC games are basically lost. So is it possible to send both "cores" to Nintendo and have them switch your account from one (busted) to the other (new)?

I've never heard a straight answer on this.

[quote name='lilboo']Woah, nobody had said anything in here for a while. I have a question, and I am not going to make a thread for it since we have a Wii help thread :)

Ok.
I just bought a new TV (Olevia 37", model 327T if it matters)
I also just got my component cables from Monoprice the other day.

I've set my Wii settings to widescreen, and I've set the screen resolution to "EDTV or HDTV".

Overall, I'm just not impressed. With certain things I am. I put on Mario Galaxy and the background and stages looked really good..but they also looked really good on my regular ol'e TV. But when it came to Luigi, Rosalina and the Toads..they had some kind of blur/fuzz to them. It's nothing drastic, but still.

I think what made things worse is when reading about component cables for the Wii, everyone says it's a MUST HAVE because the Wii looks GREAT!!! with them. I don't know what everyone else is thinking..but I don't know what GREAT!! is to them :whistle2:k

Maybe my cables aren't good? I'd hate to through some sort of hassle to get newer/expensive cables and it's just how the Wii is going to look on this TV and that's that.

I don't have many settings in terms of picture on my TV. Just a few differen aspects to choose from. Nothing specific as to what dimensions, just things like 1:1, Aspect, Full Screen, Panoramic, Zoom and Zoom 2. They are the only things I can set them to.

Now my virtual console games, when set to aspect setting, look good. I've only seen games like Mario 64, Harvest Moon and The Adventures of Lolo and so far no complaints for them. It's just the Wii games (and menu) that I am discouraged with.. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

lilboo- I have the same monoprice cables and they look great in 480p/widescreen on an HDTV. Well, as great as the Wii can look--it actually increases the pixellation but I still think it looks better overall. I don't remember a HDTV/EDTV screen resolution setting, just 480i vs. 480p. 480p is a huge improvement over 480i.

Did you have S-Video before getting component? Basically:
Component+480p >>> Component + 480i = S-Video + 480i >>> Composite + 480i

So if you haven't set to 480p, or you were using S-video cables before the difference isn't quite as striking.

I got a question about the browser... a long while back, around the time the Wii launched, I heard that the browser would be free for a year and then you'd have to buy it.

Did that ever happen? I think it's been a year since I've had my Wii but the free browser I've had still works...

Yea since you already downloaded it I beieve you're entitled to any updates the browser receives. I think it became $5 around April or May 07.

i have a question are u supposed to hear the laser or i think its the laser shifting back and forth a lot, is this normal?
i hear it probably once every 2-3 seconds ... while im playing the wii of course

okay just making sure lol thanks for the input dallow
i finally noticed it playing brawl ( wii sports everyone is screaming when we play)

I've heard good things about the Psyclone cable, and the official Nintendo cables. But, which cables are the best bang for your buck? I saw a few on monoprice.com, but are they any good?

I currently am using the Official Nintendo cables and haven't had a problem. I got them at my Best Buy for $35 before they were marked up to $55. Still not sure why they were marked up. My only complaient is with my TV.

[quote name='The_Spaceman']I currently am using the Official Nintendo cables and haven't had a problem. I got them at my Best Buy for $35 before they were marked up to $55. Still not sure why they were marked up. My only complaient is with my TV.[/quote]
They're $30 through Nintendo.

I have official nintendo cables, but I have some psyclone stuff and am happy with it. I can say that the official nintendo cables are great (and just order them from nintendo.com)

Get monoprice cables... high end cables (or Nintendo's official cables) aren't significantly better than cheapo cables. I'm using $4 Monoprice cables right now and they're perfect. Some might claim there's an improvement but then again, they might just be trying to justify the fact that they paid 10x the price for a high end cable vs a generic cable.

This is unrelated but funny story.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

[quote name='Vinny']Get monoprice cables... high end cables (or Nintendo's official cables) aren't significantly better than cheapo cables. I'm using $4 Monoprice cables right now and they're perfect. Some might claim there's an improvement but then again, they might just be trying to justify the fact that they paid 10x the price for a high end cable vs a generic cable.

This is unrelated but funny story.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/[/QUOTE]

This.
I have $4 monoprice cables and am having no problems at all. What needs to look good, looks good.
It's just that the Wii is NOT high def.. so overall it doesn't look that game just because it's not meant to look all sharp and snazzy.

I'm going to pick up the component cables from monoprice for $5 when I order another cable to hook my surround sound system to my cable box. I'm going to nab two of those Wii remote/nunchuck covers also for $2 each. I've never used monoprice before, but have heard fantastic reviews about them from a lot of CAGs and Ryan Davis along with Jeff Gerstman on their new podcast this past week. That's what convinced me to buy these.

I was going to pick up the Wii remote charging station, but it makes me use the next highest shipping for $3 or $4 more, so I'm not doing it for now. Plus, the Wii remote doesn't drain through my battery anyways (still been playing on the included battery since I got it a few weeks ago), so I don't think I'd get my money's worth for rechargables.

i got my official nintendo cables dirt cheap from amazon(12.99 or something). whatever you do, NEVER PAY FOR THE OVERPRICED $30 OR MORE CABLES. Monoprice seems like a nice choice(their orders are fast and packaged nicely, like always)

bread's done
Back