One and Only "____ is wrong with my Wii" General Questions/Help Topic.

[quote name='Bretters']I also use monoprice cables... I couldn't see a difference at all between these and official cables.[/QUOTE]

I see no difference in video with Monoprice cables but I do hear some difference in audio. Mainly the Wii start up sound. Clips pretty bad. But it might just be me.

I have the generic Gamestop multi-plug cables running both my PS2 and my Wii. It looks exactly the same on my LCD as the Nintendo-branded cables, which I have but don't use (I'm glad they were a gift).

Monoprice stuff is very good. Super quick shipping and good quality. Granted, it doesn't come in a cool blister pack and tout a '510x faster at room temperature' spec, but it all works damn good. I have the Wii component cable, 2 HDMI cables, and two optical cables that I spent around $25 on.... SHIPPED!

I tried to search for this, but I have my wii hooked up to to a Sony Wega 27" CRT using the Yellow video cable (is that "composite"?). I get a lot of artifacts on the picture, particularly in the white backgrounds (Wii Menu, SSBB, etc.). Is it due to the cable?

Also, it is oriented vertically, and man is that disc read noise loud. Do other people have problems with disc read noise, or is mine an exception?

Thanks (and apologies) in advance!

Actually, you probably have the same problem I'm having. I just opened up this thread to post about the artifacts I've been seeing. They were just noticeable in Zelda before, but they didn't seem that bad. It appears as though that was only because Zelda has a lot of variation in the background, which hid a lot of the artifacts. I just got Rayman Raving Rabbids tonight, which has much less complex backgrounds, and there are LOTS of artifacts EVERYWHERE. I've contacted Nintendo about getting a warranty replacement. At this point, even if I could get a guarantee that it will never have any problems beyond the artifacts, I'd still want to return it because they're actually quite distracting when there are so many. What sucks is that my Wii's only two weeks old and I just got two more Wiimotes for it!

Ok, I think this is the place to ask if my Wii is broken/breaking.

I've had my Wii for 15 months now and I've done every update so far. I've heard about the disk read errors with Smash Bros., and tried my cousins copy of Smash before I bought my own. His disk loaded up fine in my Wii, but when I put in my own disk it actually froze up before it could load the opening movie. I unplugged it and put the disk back in and it loaded normally.

It's been working fine since then. Now I've read about people having noisy disk drives? I know mine makes noise when I switch between menus in Smash Bros. When looking at stickers it makes a "zink-zink"noise every time I scroll to a new sticker and that's pretty annoying, but is it normal for it to do that?

And now last night I put in Mario Kart for the first time and every time I started a new race I would get a black screen for about 20 seconds, and then the race would start. I was also getting occasional hiccups during the race and my cart didn't always load on the screen before I could select it in the menu.
I finally got fed up and unplugged the Wii and reinserted the disk and that seemed to have fixed the black screen problems (they're still there but they're really short so I think that's how it's supposed to be)

Are these problems worth sending it in for repairs? I doubt it's under warranty anymore, but if I say that Smash Bros. is causing the problems can I get it cleaned for free? And how long do repairs usually take? I still want to compete in the CAG tournament next month.

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks.

I am getting disk error. Tried a few different games and they are all the same. Didnt have this problem before I got Mario Kart. Only played Mario Kart the week it came out and some Wii Sports. Havent played any games this week until today.

Is the DVD drive shot?

I'm having dead pixel issues on just the Wii (tested it with my 360, GC, Saturn, DVD player, etc. and the TV and those other systems look perfect), so I figure I have a bad video card, as I got this Wii on 11/19/06 and I've heard that some of the first gen Wii's have this problem. Since I'm well outside my warranty, I'm considering sending it in to get fixed, but two things have me wondering if it's worth it.

First, can anyone that's had this problem, that's been outside their warranty, tell me how much this repair runs?

Second, can anyone who's sent in their Wii for repair tell me when they received their repaired Wii from Nintendo, were their game saves, channels, etc. on the 512 MB of internal storage intact or was the memory wiped clean or replaced for issues not involving the internal memory (i.e. like my video card issue)? I've put a lot of time into Smash and Mario Kart and I'd prefer not to lose my saves, as Nintendo won't let me transfer them to an SD card.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend me!

ok, one month old wii. playing boom blox and the screen freezes and i hear a loud feedback sound. Turn off the wii and no more picture or sound. Unit turns on and loads a disc, but cant see or hear anything (not even the menu). WTF?

I am starting to have the Wii artifacts issue (Sparkles all over screen due to overheating of GPU). I had my Nintendo Wii for exactly a year now. Can I call Nintendo and have them fix it for free? Also how long does it normally take for them to ship it back to me with all my original data?

I'm having the "all my NES games play sound but the screen is black" problem. however, i play on a standard def TV with w/y/r cables, so i can't switch the wii to 480p mode. any suggestions?

my wii is fully updated, as well. this happens on Mario 3 for the VC, and all of my nintendo games I have on Animal Crossing (GC).

[quote name='VioletArrows']They can't be deleted. Unless you take the time to back up everything else and format the machine.[/quote]

:bomb:

Seriously? That's annoying. Guess I'll just be moving them off the front page.

I just moved and finally unpacked my Wii eariler this week. The first or second day I had it out, I was using the opera web browser (we couldn't hook up or internet yet and I was able to pick up a faint signal from the neighbors, otherwise I wouldn't bother with web surfing on the Wii). I was on maybe two websites, then the batteries for the Wii Remote died.

Once they died the problems began. I couldn't use another remote (it would not power on), I took the batteries from another remote and the remote I intialy used still wouldn't work. I've tried to use the Wii and the Wii Remotes since then and the Wii Remotes simply do not turn on. I've tried the power button, the A button and everything else. I even tried to re-sync the remotes todat but they didn't respond to any of the buttons being pressed.

I tried to call Nintendo this morning, but apparently nobody was around and I'm busy doing stuff during 9-5 (I'm assuming that's the Nintendo of America's Support hours). If anybody can offer any help, it would be greatly appriciated.

I guess this is where I'm supposed to post...

I've been playing Fire Emblem for the Wii, and I've gotten a bunch of drive "clunking". I don't play my Wii much, so this and Mario Galaxy before it are the most I've played it. But the sound doesn't sound right.

Galaxy clunked a lot, and one time spit out the disc and gave some error. Fire Emblem clunks similarly, and I noticed yesterday the music would cut out sometimes, usually when switching menus or switching to a close up during a fight. Almost like it's streaming it off disc and all of a sudden is having trouble reading it.

Then today it gave me a read error, told me to eject the disc and then power down the system.

Is this thing defective? I've *never* had a read error on any system ever before.

[Rant] I've also never had ANY problems with a console until this generation. 4th 360, and now my 4th one of those seems to be having far fewer problems than this Wii.[/quote]

EDIT: Update: Yeah, it's clunking even more now, and takes noticeably longer to load. Even *menus* take a short while to pull up. It'll start a battle animation with no music, then the music kicks in after a few seconds, the animation plays for a second, then the screen freezes up, a bunch of clunking happens, then it "jumps" forward to a spell's effect or whatever. More clunking on a black screen and I'm back to the battle.
I know there were other people with clunking drives back when Galaxy came out-wonder if they're having the same issues now.

Last edited by a moderator:
jman, you should remove wii connect if you have it on. It is probably best it you have it on standby mode. The buzzing should go away if you leave the wii off when you're not using it.

For some reason my wii plays sm galaxy, excite truck, resident evil all just fine. but when I put in zelda for the first last time last night (It's a goozex copy) . It loaded just fine but after the name your hero, name your horse and adjust your tv screen. it said it could not read the disc. every time.
wtf?

I don't think it should be doing that. I've never seen that on mine-just the horrible drive clunking. I *still* haven't called Nintendo about that.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't think it should be doing that. I've never seen that on mine-just the horrible drive clunking. I *still* haven't called Nintendo about that.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen that either but my drive does sound like a lawn mower SOMETIMES. It seems to depend on what game is in. Lately it seems like the loudest game I own is Wii Fit.. :lol:

Is it continuous and loud like the 360? Mine's not really that loud per se, but it dosen't sound right. You can hear it CLUNK, then try to respin up, etc. At first with Galaxy I thought maybe that's just how it sounds (even though I've never heard a drive like that before)...until I started actually getting errors and having it affect gameplay.

I wonder if they're using a junky drive? I think the Gamecube's was a Panasonic (or their parent company rather), that I guess was rock solid, but I've heard of a lot more problems with the Wii it seems like.

Hmm well it's never really ongoing. Usually when the Wii gets turned on (and a disc is inside)..and when I start the game...and SOMETIMES during loads, but that's about it. It's loud, just not long and loud..:whistle2:s

I'm confusing myself.

I'd record mine, if I had some easy way to do that :whistle2:/

I should check and see if I can initiate service through the web. I'm kind of worried they'll just throw in a game, go "oh gee, it works", and send it back. I *HATE* intermittent problems. Sometimes it seems fine or basically fine, but other times it's clear there's a very serious problem :(

[quote name='Wolfpup']
I'm kind of worried they'll just throw in a game, go "oh gee, it works", and send it back. I *HATE* intermittent problems. Sometimes it seems fine or basically fine, but other times it's clear there's a very serious problem :([/quote]
I'm the same way. I've been leaning more towards waiting till it breaks completely before having it fixed. I'm no longer under warranty.

For me, Mario Kart gives the most problems. I have the lawn mower sound pretty consistently (but only with that game). My air condition covers up the noise so I don't hear it that often, but it's loud enough to be an annoyance when the AC is off.
I get the clunking sound once in a while. If I turn on the console and Mario Kart is already in there. It makes that awful sound for a few seconds before it rights itself and spins normally. Then I noticed sometimes during online play it won't connect me with anyone, and when I try to get out of it I'll get a black screen and there will be no way to turn off the Wii except for unplugging it completely. That might just be a wifi problem though.

However, I stopped getting the black screens during load times. And *knock on wood* it's been a while since I've had it not be able to detect a disk.

My problems don't seem as bad as Wolfpup's, but I am dreading the day I have to send my Wii away for repairs.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't think it should be doing that. I've never seen that on mine-just the horrible drive clunking. I *still* haven't called Nintendo about that.[/quote]

ah thanks. my drive also makes some loud noises when i switch games while the system is on. i have to restart it to get the second game to work correctly.

I'm getting a little annoyed with my Wii.

I have kept Brawl in the console pretty regularly the last couple months. Sometimes when I turn the console on, the Wii Game Channel will *not* show Brawl is in the console; it will sound like it's reading the disc, but will never *find* it. (It also does not tell me to insert a disc.)

I also have had recent troubles getting to the Settings menus. I usually get caught up in one of the screens, where it will freeze. The sound will continue, but the console will not allow me to do anything. I have to hold the power button to shut it down. (I can also eject the disc...but that's all.)

Brawl seems to load more slowly in my console than it does in a friends. I need to see if it's our discs, or the actual hardware. It's very annoying. I have WiiConnect24 on, but have the standby off, by the way.

I guess this is where I should post repair stories, right?

If so, last Tuesday I finally called Nintendo to see about getting my Wii fixed for it's drive problems.

Supposedly they're going to just send me a LABEL-no box or anything. I somehow have to figure out a way to package it myself. That's IF they send the label, which I'm not sure about because the email I got sent says I'm supposed to print it, which I can't do right now.

I was hoping my drive would totally die instead of being intermittent-I'm still worried they're just going to throw a game in, go "it loads!" and send it back.

The woman I talked to acted like if the drive was bad it would be giving errors all the time, not just twice. I really tried to explain that it doesn't sound normal, you can hear it retrying and retrying the disc, and things (like Fire Emblem animations) that normally load instantly can take 10-15 seconds, or be jerky, pause, etc. (I forgot to mention I've even had MENUS take a long time to pull up.)
I've had music and voice tracks start and stop too. It's CLEARLY not right, even if it's still sort of working-and Super Mario Galaxy did the same thing, though not as bad (I think it's just gotten worse).

the "2" button on my Wii Mote is stuck on autofire for sum reason... wtf?!?!?!

I cant play shmups! The game chooses my player for me and uses up all my bombs upon entering the stage!!

Do I buy a new one?!?!?!

[quote name='JEKKI']the "2" button on my Wii Mote is stuck on autofire for sum reason... wtf?!?!?!

I cant play shmups! The game chooses my player for me and uses up all my bombs upon entering the stage!!

Do I buy a new one?!?!?![/QUOTE]

Remove/reseat batters?

Replace batteries?

Re-sync controller any of the 3 or so ways that is possible?

My Wii repair process has been very,very painless so far.

Entered my request on the site, they email'd prepaid label within minutes.
Dropped off at Kinkos, took about 5 days to repair center.
They email'd reciept of unit 12/8, email'd return of unit 12/10.

Looks like I'm getting a new/respiffed unit too since the serial# is different. Unless they send me back a turd, major kudos to the N. I was slightly worried they'd give me grief since the top of the faceplate had a crack but they didn't say boo.

So, I recently had my first ever glitch with my Wii...it has frozen or locked up twice now. First time was in the middle (literally 5th frame) of a bowling match...4 characters and it just froze and all we heard was a buzzing sound.

The second time was a day or two later. Started it up. Clicked on the disc channel to load Wii Sports and all I got was a black screen and nothing going on. Had to remove power to get it to power off and restart.

It typically only gets used 1 or 2 days a week, so I haven't gotten back to it since Saturday, but it is 2 yrs old now? I got it in December right after launch (lucky!) and hadn't had any problems before at all. Any ideas?

If it does end up as a serious problem, what does Nintendo charge for out of warranty repairs? It was only a 1 year warranty, right?

[quote name='klwillis45']My Wii repair process has been very,very painless so far.

Entered my request on the site, they email'd prepaid label within minutes.
Dropped off at Kinkos, took about 5 days to repair center.
They email'd reciept of unit 12/8, email'd return of unit 12/10.[/QUOTE]

How did you actually mail it though? They gave me no explanation, and it pisses me off they don't just mail you a box like Sony and Microsoft do.

Anyone have a problem synching their Rock Band 2nd guitar to their Wii system? The first guitar, drum, and mic all work fine, but the 2nd guitar just blinks an annoying 4 lights and not snyching up despite replacing the batteries, pressing again the wii "dongle" box (which resets all guitars in the process), pressing the red synch button on the Wii system, etc. You'd think wireless technology would be simple.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How did you actually mail it though? They gave me no explanation, and it pisses me off they don't just mail you a box like Sony and Microsoft do.[/quote] They just emailed me a prepaid fedex label & I dropped it off at Kinkos. I like this way better because finding a box is easy and you get the label almost instantly. Less downtime since you can ship right away.

BTW, I recieved a different, refurb'd Wii back & it works like a champ.

I don't have a box sitting around that would fit it. I just gave up on the thing since they never mailed me the label they were supposed to, and I wouldn't really trust a refurb anyway. Just got a new one.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't have a box sitting around that would fit it. I just gave up on the thing since they never mailed me the label they were supposed to, and I wouldn't really trust a refurb anyway. Just got a new one.[/quote] So you shelled out for a new one? That makes zero sense to me since even if you get a refurb you have a brand new 1 year warranty.

I got mine at launch and now I am getting can't read the disc errors on all games. Please anyone know what to do ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a new one. That's what I had to do. Only other option is to pay Nintendo for a refurbed one. Probably shouldn't have, but I want to play Wario Land :)

Hey, it's up to you. I was under the impression it cost more like $150, but either way it just depends on if you want to mess with used hardware.

bread's done
Back